Wed, Sep 25, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 2:58 pm)

Subject: Poser rant

Svigor ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 4:47 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 3:24 PM

I understand some problems, like Poser being a resource hog - after all that's as much a hardware problem on my end as anything.

There are other problems that I can't understand.

Why is the hierarchy so crappy? It'd be nice to be able to navigate by element or figure instead of having to scroll through one big list where everything blurs together. I'd even settle for the hierarch REMEMBERING how I left it, so everything doesn't expand all over when I open it again; this and the ability to hide lights/cameras/props would go a long way to fixing the hierarcy.

Why isn't there an easy way to lock and unlock multiple figure parts quickly? Why isn't there an easy way to hide and unhide multiple figure parts quickly? Why isn't there an option to "hide all other figures?"

Why are INJ morphs STILL not handled worth a crap? Why do I have to use 3rd party apps for such basic functionality? I know CL ain't DAZ (and so aren't responsible for INJ morphs) but sheesh you'd think they'd budge a LITTLE and throw us a bone on this one.

Why is the library palette so dumb? You get a large thumbnail for every folder, 90% of which is a USELESS folder graphic and empty space, with 10% holding the microscopic font that is the only useful piece of information. When it's docked it gets in the way of the camera controls (the ones on the main window pane, which of course can't be moved). Don't even get me started about the DUMB "up one directory" icon, which should NOT be in the scrolling part of the palette but above in the static part so it can always be accessed in an instant.

Why are we forced to deal with the multiple runtimes crap? I want to have everything in one place in the library palette so I don't have to constantly change back and forth, but on the other hand I want to be able to back up all my installed content without worrying over what's native and what's installed. It isn't a big deal to meet both needs.

All these 3rd Party apps like content managers and such should make CL hang their collective heads in shame, because they're providing basic functionality that should come with Poser.

Why are things that should remain hidden like cameras and lights periodically becoming visible? It's a pain to have to uncheck invisibility for ten lights when you didn't make them visible in the first place.

There should be scripts like Ockham's light script in stock Poser so we can handle lights and cameras more effectively.

I could go on, and I'm sure others know many little annoyances that I don't.

These aren't rocket-science type problems either.

Okay, I'm done griping now. I feel much better. :)

Message edited on: 08/19/2005 16:56

Svigor ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 4:49 PM

Oh yeah, I just remembered another one; the stupid pose/camera/UI dots. We don't need a bunch of stupid dots taking up screen space. A menu accessed by clicking on a little triangle (just like for choosing figures/props/cameras/lights) would be MUCH better. The functionality of the dots is great, very useful; the implementation of that functionality sucks.

Svigor ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 5:03 PM

Why are all figures by default set up so that Morphs are listed above Transforms? It makes much more sense to do it the opposite way, since Transforms are changed much more often than Morphs. The way it is now, one has to go through and change every...single...body part.

Svigor ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 5:22 PM

In the "Body Parts" drop-down, why are all the finger joints given the same priority as everything else? There should be a "Hands" submenu for all those little blighters, or better yet a separate "Hands" menu altogether.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 5:31 PM

e-mail your suggestions to e-frontier.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Svigor ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 7:44 PM

Yeah I should, minus the tone and the caps of course. :)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 8:45 PM

Developers often can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to usability. For that reason, there's usually a good market for third party utilities and enhancements. It does seem though that Poser, for such a mature application, has more than it's share of seemingly inexplicable lapse in this regard. It's almost like they simply can't get anymore out of the UI interface. They've certainly managed to add gobs of other features, albeit often by bolting them on. My guess you won't see any improvement until there's a complete rewrite of the codebase. Maybe take a look at the Shade UI, that may be the way they go.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

stewer ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 12:37 AM

Why isn't there an easy way to hide and unhide multiple figure parts quickly? Holding the alt key while clicking on the eye in the hierarchy window will hide/unhide a body part and all of its children.

Svigor ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 11:54 AM

I knew I'd get a pointer or two out of this. Thanks stewer. Who said whining never got anyone anywhere? :)

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 12:01 PM

'In the "Body Parts" drop-down, why are all the finger joints given the same priority as everything else? There should be a "Hands" submenu for all those little blighters, or better yet a separate "Hands" menu altogether' I've been shouting for a hands sub-menu for years. And having the hierarchy remember it's state would be a big help. Please don't get me started on lights/cameras visibilty. Argh! mac

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 1:04 PM

Uhm no one "forces" you to use multiple runtimes. You can use the Downloads or you can just let it sit there and ignore it and install everything into your Poser 5 or 6 folder. A lot of people find the possibility of multiple Runtimes the best thing since sliced bread. Personally I'm still using my old (PBooosted) P4 runtime in my Poser 6... An improved Hierachy editor WOULD be very nice. Oh and better ability to remember file placements. NO! I DO NOT WANT TO SAVE MY FINISHED RENDER IN WHATEVER LIBRARY I JUST LOADED A RUDDY TEXTURE FROM...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

diolma ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 4:21 PM

LOL! All my favourite gripes in one thread (especially the lack of seperation of load/save locations)...:-)) A few more... When I go into the mat room to change something on a prop, the Library view changes to the Materials Library. That's OK. But when I exit it always returns to the Pose Library? Why doesn't it return to the Library I was last using? When I look in a sub library (P5), then return to the parent, I'm back at the top, not where I was when I entered the sub-library. I have to scroll down to get back to the same or later library (and if you're hunting for something, a common occurence for me, that gets tedious). My mouse-wheel (and index finger) are both wearing out. BUT - if I change to a new Library, then enter a sub-library, sometimes it opens up part-way down the list. I haven't worked out why yet. So I have to scroll UP to find the top to get out... Load a prop. The focus changes to the prop. Unless it's parented, in which case the focus stays on the parent... Create a scene. Play around with it, changing figures etc. Save scene. Reload scene. Focus is on the last figure loaded, not the last item you were working with.. I could go on..:-)) Cheers, Diolma

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 6:30 PM

Ernyoka and diolma, Thanks! You added the other ones that really bug me. All of those are small things that add up to a major PITA when you work in poser all day, every day (like I do). mac

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2005 at 2:42 PM

Got another one: when o when will ALL functionality become exposed to Python? Right now there is no way to change the number of frames in a Poser scene using Python. Increasing the framecount is possible by loading an animated pose, decreasing is not possible. I could go on and on and on.... And when o when will CL ditch that crappy Tkinter (doesn't work on Mac, hardly works on Windows, and Tcl/Tk hasn't been updated in 10 years or so!) and go for a WORKING Python UI? (wxwidgets comes to mind). Layers! Did someone mention layers? Drop to object below. OK, can be written in Python, but it shouldn't be an addon functionality. And please, please CL/e-frontier, get rid of that real-estate consuming playful interface and go for docked toolbars like just about every other 3D app in the world. It would also be a VERY good idea to make use of all the UI gadgets that come with the OS - why spend time and effort on writing a text entry box when OSX, MacOS9 and Windows all give you a textbox that stays put when you're clicking it, responds quickly and accurately to keyboard commands and obeys the OS guidelines when it comes to shortcuts.... And why the **** did they split Render Dimensions from Render Settings? Now whenever I want to switch from a simple test render to final I have to open 2 dialogs instead of one! Total waste of time.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.