Tue, Oct 22, 4:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Poserworld-Steve Shanks

Philywebrider ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 5:34 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 4:34 AM

Hi Steve I'm still having trouble getting onto you subscription area, its been a few days now. I'm a life member, so sub time is not a problem, butI would like to get access to the new downloads. I realize your working on it, I just hoped you had an idea when things might be fixed. Thanks.

cowboy ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 6:47 AM

you are not the only one I can get into the pw store but not the subscription area I sent emails the web master

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 7:22 AM

cowboy, Steve said that they can't receive emails addressed to the webmaster. In a topic in this forum, he gave his email address if someone has something urgent they need from the subscription area at Poserworld.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Philywebrider ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 7:33 AM

Francemi-I know you were talking to cowboy, but in my case I didn't want to bother Steve, because I don't need anything urgent, I don't even know what new items are available. I also know Allen is/was sick, and I hope he gets well. I just hoped Steve might know when the sub site might be coming back.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 8:56 AM

It's ok for those who have a lifetime sub, but there are those of us who didn't wish to go that route. While I feel bad that he is sick it would be nice if Steve could come in and let us know exactly what's going on and when we can expect it to be back up. Sick or no, he is running a business and I still have a foul taste in my mouth from poserstyle. Just let us know what's happening please. Marque

gezinorgiva ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:03 AM

Still down; I think this is not the way to run a business.

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:10 AM

Sick or no, he is running a business and I still have a foul taste in my mouth from poserstyle. I think this is not the way to run a business. It makes me sad to see things like that in a "community" forum. I think Steve told us all he could in his previous post. Did you at least all read it?

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:15 AM

While I feel bad that he is sick it would be nice if Steve could come in and let us know exactly what's going on Steve has been posting in the threads, perhaps he hasn't seen this one yet. > and when we can expect it to be back up. IIRC Steve doesnt know anything about the website stuff so he wouldnt know what to tell anyone. >Sick or no, he is running a business and I still have a foul taste in my mouth from poserstyle. Just let us know what's happening please. steve said in another thread "Sorry about this everyone, we will try to get things up and running as soon as possible, Allen is ill so this will cause a delay but please don't worry, if this causes anyone any problems getting files because membership ran out or runs out a day or 2 after we get back up or any such scenario, we will extend your membership, no one will be left feeling ripped off if can help it at all. If anyone needs a file for a project please mail me (see below) and i can set you up a download. What I'm going to do is go into a modeling frenzy so when we get up and running there will be lots of new things to get, 3 sets are done and ready to update with, again sorry about this.....Steve shout@steve-shanks.com"

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:22 AM

That was quite a while ago that he said Allen is ill. Not asking for extra items asking for current info, but thank you for posting what you did. Marque

Philywebrider ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:28 AM

Poserworld is no Poserstyle, this is unusual for Steve. I didn't mean to cause any problems, Steve has bent over backwards to help people.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:30 AM

That was quite a while ago that he said Allen is ill. That post was from 2 days ago. Apparently Allen has been ill for quite some time now.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 12:17 PM

Quite frankly I believe Steve needs to be searching for a replacement for Allen who can handle the website jobs, even if it's only temporarily. It's been a couple months now that I've been seeing these threads. Is this a business or just a hobby for them. At this point it's looking like a hobby to me. Up til now I've been taking Poserworld's side in this, but frankly, I'm starting to agree with the complainers. This is taking entirely too long to fix for a business website!

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 1:12 PM

I wish i could give you more info i really do but i don't know how long its going to take...What i will tell you all as a fact is that if you paid for a subscription you WILL get the time you paid for, there is no if, buts or maybes about this, if you paid for a month, 12 months or a lifetime of models that is what you'll get no matter how i have to do it, and time when we are down will not count......Steve

EricJ ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 1:29 PM

Does that mean that those who have lifetime memberships will get a couple more weeks added to their lifes? Wow, I knew you were good but damn. ;)

ariannah ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 3:35 PM

Steve, thanks so much for the update and checking in. I'm sure many appreciate your doing so rather then leaving people wondering with no word at all.

I hope your situation eases soon - it sounds like you've had quite a tough time lately. Please hang in there and if you do ever figure out how to add a few weeks to people's lifetimes, you can retire early and live large!

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 6:44 PM

we're doing evrything we can but this whole mess has put us in quite a bind. At the moment we're trying to put up a mirror site until we can get the main one back together. Please hang in there and like Steve said you can email either of us if theres anything you need from the site. lyrra@renderosity.com Lyrra

LilWolff ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 6:57 PM · edited Wed, 25 January 2006 at 7:02 PM

EricJ wrote"Does that mean that those who have lifetime memberships will get a couple more weeks added to their lifes?"

It is a good thing then that I didn't save my sons the bother and have that PW date etched on my side of the stone. I might have been off by weeks! ;-) Steve has always been up front, honest and forth coming with me, going out of his way to help everybody. Business or not, if there is anything I can do to help you two, let me know. This is NOT PoserStyle people, I also experienced that mess! I am not worried at all about PW being fixed and know that all honors given will be made!

Message edited on: 01/25/2006 19:02

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 7:48 PM

I've always had the best of good service from Steve & Co., very thoughtful and considerate. And believe me, as a person who tends to complain about every small hitch, that means a lot. As for bearing with Allen when he's ill, some said: "That's no way to run a business." Well, each to their own opinion. And my opinion is: it damn well should be the way to run a business. If running a business means cutting off people who've given long-term good service because they have the temerity to get sick, then heaven help us all. And all for a few imaginary constructs of points in space? It's not like anyone's losing money (heaven forbid!) on the deal - Steve has said we'll all get our full time's worth. Steve, Lyrra, Allen: I appreciated you guys before: you give a good service at a good price. But after seeing some of the guff you have to go through, I'm suddenly militant in my support of y'all. When you're back up, I'll have to see if I can manage to send a few new customers your way. I'd go buy a lifetime membership myself, but I got one already. :)

Carcinogen ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 7:50 PM

Don't you worry about it, Steve and Lyrra. We know you will get things fixed when you can. You've been so good to us in the past, providing us with some of the best quality content out there; the least we can do is patiently wait and understand your situation. Thanks for giving us the update.

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 8:07 PM

I second the opinion posted in #18 wholeheartedly. When products (money) comes before health (humanity) it makes for a sad world. I for one would stop shopping at a store whose owners would act like that. I worked for a company once where the boss told us (and seriously): "If your private life interferes with your job, quit your private life!" BTW, any news on Allan? How is he? Getting better I hope?

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

buckzero ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 8:31 PM · edited Wed, 25 January 2006 at 8:32 PM

Third the opinions in #18 and #20. Never had a complaint about the site, Steve responded quickly to the email I sent about my renewal, just be patient they will get it fixed.

Message edited on: 01/25/2006 20:32

$0

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 8:59 PM

No one is saying they are bad, just give info on what is going on. Sorry but I'm sick to death of being made to feel like a bad guy just because I ask a question about something I've paid for. Went through this before with poserstyle, kept having folks act like I was a jerk because I asked questions. Sorry folks, but if I pay money it IS a business and I have a right to know what's up. Give me a break, I support them too but I DO HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING. And I have a right to ask for info without getting grief over it. Marque

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:21 PM

well we've been trying to avoid A) panicking people and B) spreading Allens personal life all over the internet, you know? theres some stuff the customer really doesnt need to know ... like the arguing we get into over the hols as to who gets time off first lol and the never ending argument over 'too much goth' ... 'too bloody boring' grins Lyrra

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:36 PM

My point about it being a business is "Businesses" cover sicktime with temporary employees who can do the job while you're out sick! Sheesh! You don't expect an airline to run if all the employees are out sick, but damnit you expect it to run so they hire more employees to do the work while people are out sick. Nobody's asking for Allen's personal business here. We're asking why it's so hard for someone to fill in for him while he's out.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:52 PM

My own sub is set to expire in a few days. I am planning on re-upping once the site is working again.

Thanks, Steve for the assurance that the last few days won't go down the drain........

;)

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 10:15 PM

i've been watching this stuff now for awhile...had planned to purchase an annual sub, I was a member for a couple of years when this first started up, with the reduced rate, that is now offered, but held off because of the site problems. will the reduced sub rate be extended as well, once things are in order ?? I know this sounds a bit greedy or something, especially wihth all the problems, and the amount of product available, but I need to save as much of my cash as possible too.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Carcinogen ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 10:17 PM

Lyrra, Never can be too much goth! Never too much bloody boring "everyday" either... That's what makes your site great; the variety. Okay, now back to the personal stuff; tell us MORE!! We want the really good, juicy gossip, okay? We won't tell... <>

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 10:29 PM

'too bloody boring' what??? boring??? PoserWorld is the only place i can find good boring stuff....and you can actually ask for boring stuff and you dont have to put up with the whining about how it wont sell and it isnt worth doing. I say three cheers for boring. hip hip ho-hum hip hip ho-hum hip hip ho-hum oh, and i'm glad its not all boring cuz that would be....well...boring :-p re: Allen as much as i respect that it isnt any of my business, i do wonder whats going on. I worry...we all worry...and hope he gets better.

mickmca ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 5:52 AM

PoserWorld is the reliable mainstay of my Poser merchant sites, and that's partially because I trust Steve, Allen, and the crew to do the right thing for their customers. What a refreshing difference that is. Add to it their willingness to "bespeak" clothing and their stock of "boring" real world stuff, and they are indispensible to anyone who isn't focussed entirely on NVITWAS. Hence, I'm sure, part of the frustration. We need them. That said, Marque is right, that shutting down a business because someone is sick is not very good business. Saying so is not greedy or inhumane, it's just common sense. If your head IT guy gets sick and the server goes down, it's not disrespectful to call Volt or TRW and get someone in the server room to fix it. There's no shortage of people out there who can troubleshoot and manage a web site. I'm guessing that part of the problem is geography. Allen is stateside, and if the server is in his home, then physical maintenance is problematic. Hopefully, a mirror site will solve the problem temporarily. Creating a secure site is not falling out of bed simple (as the PoserStyle people learned the hard way); I'm guessing that porting one is even tougher. So patience, please. This is NOT a PoserStyle in the making, for Heaven's sake. PoserWorld is not a "Let's have a show!" flash in the pan created by a bunch of brilliantly creative folks with no business sense and less technical expertise than they needed. It's been around for a decade or more, and always reliable, in its own funky way. Steve has said he's going to see that we get extensions to our subscriptions (you lifers luck out...), and I'm Ok with that. And best wishes to Allen. M

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 1:42 PM

I spoke with Allens wife today and found he has been rushed into hospital, he has been ill for a few months now and in and out of hospital, she discovered one of the servers had problems,after checking it and got onto the phone with Dell, they worked out a hard drive had gone down and instructed her on what to do, but whatever went on with all that has knocked the PW server offline (if memory serves me right there are 4 servers) and she doesn't know which is the PW server or how to repair it, please remember she has no computer knowledge, so shes is trying to get someone to repair it. Now i understand when people say its a business you can't just close because someone is sick, but remember we are a 3 people business, each of us with a clear and natural definition of what we do, we may dabble in each others areas but we never try to take over, being so small is what keeps the prices so low, working so well together is what has made it what it is, Today we are seeing the downside of that. Marque i never think of you as the bad guy, you just say what you mean and don't dance around with words, i respect that :o) Dave yes we will be extending the offer As i've said before we are here to stay, you need not worry about not getting models past or future I garunbloodytee you will get them....It does seem unfair for the lifetime members i wish i could extend those as mine runs out the same day :o) What i can say is we will have a huge update on the day (when i get stressed i model more and faster) we re-open so i hope that will go some way to making it up to you all, thanks everyone for your patience, understand and well wishes for Allen...Steve

artnik ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 2:00 PM

I'm with Steve, et al. They have been more than generous with their time and talents. I've been a member now since I first found R'osity and learned about their existence and discovered the excellent inventory of items. I became a paying member when they started that, as well. That amounts to at least six years of some of the best for Poser, out there on the web. For all the service and items I've gotten over the years, I'm more than willing to cut them some slack. There are things that happen that no amount of preparation can predict. I know they'll do the absolute best possible to overcome this. If I knew something I could do to help, I would. I guess, all I can do is be patient, and welcome them when they return.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:16 PM

Thanks Steve, My best wishes to Allen... and his wife. I'll be sending positive vibes for his quick recovery.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Shadowdancer ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 7:20 PM

Steve, I'm happy to wait for the problems to be sorted, as Poserworld has in the past probably been the most reliable of all the Poser sites, with standards of customer service that large companies can only dream of. Please pass on my best wishes to Allen & his wife. I also hope he'll be feeling better soon. Just wish I could help, I'm an IT professional myself, but like you I'm based in dear old blighty.

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:02 AM

Thank you Steve, I sign on every year and will continue to sign on every year. I will keep Allen and his family in my prayers, I hope whatever has him down can be fixed so he can get back home. One of the reasons I didn't send emails and call there is because you said he was sick and i didn't want to make it worse there. At least here I know sooner or later you will pop in and give info on what is happening. Sorry if I sound cranky at times, don't mean to. Marque

semidieu ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:09 AM

Thanks Steve for the update. My best wishes to Allen too... Hope he will get better very soon... And, i hope that he will not find the server problem... because i'm away next week and, in that case, you will create much more modells and i will be even happier ! ;-)

gezinorgiva ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 1:40 PM

I too, will cut them some slack....some. But I still think it is no way to run a business.

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the info Steve. As a lifetime member I tend to grab things as I need them rather than as they come out so no worries here. Looking forward to what's new. :)

...... Kendra

hmatienzo ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 11:18 PM

I have known Poserworld for many years now, and never had any reason to believe things were bad like at Poserstyle. So why on earth should I abandon them now just because Allen happens to be ill?? Shouldn't we all support them and wish the man well instead of bickering about a few off-days? Sheesh, people!

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

davidpayne ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 12:57 AM

I think all of this is my fault...I'm cursed. I have had a year to year Poserworld subscription for 2 or 3 years now paying year by year. On 12/31, I decided to go with a lifetime membership. I told my wife, half jokingly, that now the web site would probably go down. So it took 25 days for my dire prediction to come true. On a positive note, I can look at this as a way to go back and look at all the prior downloads from Poserworld. I still have not unzipped the bling-bling truck.

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2006 at 2:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.steve-shanks.com/

Sorry everyone, just been so busy trying to sort everything out.....I've posted a link to my home page, if you look in the gallery (only link that works BTW) you can see the next things to go up, i have created an emergency website we can use till the problem is fixed and this will be open this weekend with the new files and the latest ones, I'm going to have to add usernames and passwords manually so if you can fire an email over to me at shout@steve-shanks.com then as soon as the site goes live i'll mail you........thanks everyone, Steve

Shadowdancer ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2006 at 2:42 PM

Have you been watching Apocolypse Now recently, Steve? It's just that the air cav guy reminds me of Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore (played by Robert Duvall). BTW thanks for keeping us up to date with what's happening. Once again, please pass on my best wishes to Allen & his wife. I hope he's feeling better soon.

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2006 at 2:52 PM

Its totally based on him :o)...love the movie and i've been meaning to do that set and some Vietnam uniforms so started with him......thanks and i will pass it on, Steve

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2006 at 3:32 AM

We are back up and cooking on gas as they say ;o) so cancel the last request and instead email if you need an extension to catch up, don't be shy BTW i'm happy to extend any subscription, if i could i'd wip through the database and do everyone but i'd be there for about 3 months LOL..............Steve, updating tonight

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2006 at 4:11 AM

the servers back! yaaay! now dont everybody pile on at once .. we dont want to break it again :)

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2006 at 2:08 PM

Yay! New M3 outfit I can steal for James! Oh, and my subscription is still good til July so I'm not worried bout the extensions just yet. ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.