Sun, Sep 22, 6:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Fifteen Minute Blade

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 10:11 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:31 PM

Sharpen your skills on this.... Fifteen minutes (more or less, as usual) to build, shade and render a blade -- knife, x-acto, scalpel, scissor, whatever.... I'll post mine as soon as I get it done!

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 10:32 AM

file_157264.JPG

OK, here it is.... Took a few extra minutes because I had to do some actual work.... Imagine that!

twillis ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 2:31 PM

OK, how about the famed ebony blade of the dread Obsidian order... ah, no, I probably can't get away with that trick twice.

twillis ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 2:33 PM

file_157265.JPG

Well, the modeling took around 15 minutes. I wasted more time on the textures and stuff, though, which is probably cheating. --Terri

litst ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 3:22 PM

file_157267.JPG

I've modelled and rendered this axe blade in 20 minutes . It's vertex, but now i realized that i would have gained time if i had modelled the "pick" in spline . The last 5 minutes were dedicated to render settings . Back to my tutorial, now ... litst

geek ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 3:34 PM

file_157269.JPG

All in all, it takes 15:45 to made this one, hope you like it. ge

Izuel ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 6:12 PM

knife.jpg these 15 min challenges are great practice. keep it up!

tonylynch ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2001 at 10:03 PM

file_157271.JPG

Took me about 20 minutes.

willf ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2001 at 12:20 AM

file_157272.JPG

Well, thought I could do this in 15 min but didn't like the way my first bump-map looked. I re-worked that & spent about 40 minutes altogether. Made in spline modeler.

brenthomer ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2001 at 8:26 AM

file_157274.JPG

here's my blade...I am such a cheap modeler...I think I am to obsessed with the time limit...

AzChip ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2001 at 10:32 PM

Most impressive work, everyone! And, there's no such thing as cheating in these fifteen minute ditties.... The point of these things is to have fun and to learn.... I should have some time tomorrow to think up something else.... Give everyone the weekend to crank something.... And Don't forget Litst's monthly challenge: The machine! Have fun!

twillis ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2001 at 7:13 AM

I'm working on my machine even as we type. I think I have a good chance of winning, assuming no one else enters. Of course, if anyone else enters, well, then, I'm probably toast. But I have learned a TON doing this project, so I guess I win anyhow. Ha! Take that! --Terri

litst ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2001 at 10:53 AM

Yeah, don't forget the contest (see the link at the top of the page ) ! Hey Terri, i hope you won't be the only submission ! Good luck anyway ! litst

twillis ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2001 at 12:13 PM

Honestly, if I can get a picture done that matches the idea I have in my brain and that I won't be embarassed for anyone to see, I'm gonna count it was a personal win. That's my goal. Baby steps, you know? I was just kidding about winning the contest (even though I covet the prize); I still have a lot to learn about lighting and textures (among other things) before I become A Force To Be Reckoned With, contest-wise. So don't worry, I don't plan to be a sore loser. Much. --Terri

litst ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2001 at 2:37 PM

I'm getting really impatient to see your image ! :) litst

EliteGoliath ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2001 at 6:45 PM

file_157276.JPG

i made this before i even saw this message posted. It's very simple, made from mostly primitives. Took around 10 mins.

rockjockjared ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2001 at 2:01 AM

file_157280.JPG

here is my "attempt" still working on the handle and the blade, but this is as far as I got in about 20mins (I'm still kinda new to this vertex stuff)

rockjockjared ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2001 at 8:00 PM

litst...I was wondering if you could post a pic of your axe model when it's in the vertex modeler...I just doing see how you were able to get the blade that smooth! I've been trying everything I know and I'm having problems with curved edges. Thancks, rockjockjared

litst ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2001 at 10:02 PM

file_157281.JPG

Here it is, rockjockjared ! I just have the subdivided version left, but you still can see the smooth/crease edges settings . Happily for me, the model subdivided perfectly :) Hope this helps ! litst

rockjockjared ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2001 at 10:23 PM

WOW! That did subdivide nicely! I'm getting the creasing thing down but it's still not coming out as smooth as I would like...It's getting there, but I feel as if I'm adding too many verticies to the model. After seeing how many polygons your model has, I know I am! I'll keep working on it. This gives me some good ideas. Thanks for posting your model! I really appreciate it! Oh yeah, nice lighting in your scene. The textures are excellent too! rockjockjared

rockjockjared ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2001 at 10:36 PM

O.k., one last thought...is there a bug whenever you go and try to weld verticies? I've been trying to duplicate this blade with symetry for the last hour or so and whenever I try to weld the points the stupid thing is crashing!!! It's happened about 5 times now I'd I'm getting really frusterated. Just wondering if this is a bug. Thanks, Rockjockjared

twillis ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2001 at 8:59 AM

I've found welding to be sometimes unstable, so it's not just you. Sometimes exiting and restarting helps, sometimes not. Computer voodoo strikes again. Here's something I've done when I can't get a particular weld to work: I link two vertices I want to weld, then I go into the properties tray and make their xyz coordinates match (linking allows you to see both sets of coordinates at the same time). Then I save before I weld. If it crashes, at least my model looks like the point has been welded. Hmmm. It occurs to me that maybe one could weld by hand, just by linking vertices, and deleting the duplicate. Like, say you have two triangles and you want to weld the top point of one to the top point of the other. You could link each of the bottom points of one triangle to the top point of the other, then delete the the top point of the first one. Sort of a manual weld, if you see what I mean. I wonder if that would work... if so, it might be a solution when a particular vertex object is being weld-cranky. --Terri

litst ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2001 at 9:13 AM

Attached Link: http://www.life3d.co.nz/tipstricks.htm

There are some bugs with the welding functions . What i do is saving after a weld if there isn't a "rendering failed" error . Then, if it bugs, i reopen the file . Patrick Martin has released a useful description of many bugs in the vertex modeller (see the link) . Thanks to him ! litst

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.