Wed, Oct 2, 11:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Human female - work in progress (thread will contain nudity)

odf ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 10:37 PM

file_320957.jpg

... and, as per popular request - from jhusthead :) - here she is with some nice Koz hair.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

jhustead ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 5:42 PM

Cool, I was wondering if you were going to try some hair on her. She looks much more beautiful and lifelike in that picture. And she looks great with short hair to. Take care and have a nice weekend, -James

odf ( ) posted Sat, 18 February 2006 at 7:52 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_320958.jpg

Here's another update. I did some small but important edits on the front side of the torso and played a little more with lights and shaders.

jhustead ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 4:45 PM

I can't really tell anything different about her. What did you change if you don't mind me asking? -James

odf ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 5:18 PM

jhusthead - I made her breasts a little smaller, the areolae larger (or is is areolas?), got rid of that prominent V-shape between her clavicles, changed the shape of the belly button, reshaped her pubic lips and, last but not least, did some sculpting on the whole area between her upper abdomen and her thighs. It's probably not so easy to see because of all the lighting changes. I really like the lighting in the latest render and I think I will stick to it for the coming updates.

jhustead ( ) posted Mon, 20 February 2006 at 3:51 PM

Now that I look at the photos before and after your last update I can tell the differences between them. The most noticeable change is the V shape in the pelvis area that looks much better now in my opinion. I can also tell a little bit of the difference on the areolas surrounding the nipples. But without you explaining to me in context I probably wouldn't have noticed any of these things. Take care, -James

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2006 at 6:46 PM

Hey, odf! LOL! She eess french(p52). Her upper abs seem masculine to me still. I (personally!) would widen and pull out the tops and blend into the ribs. Pull her hipbones out too. mho Most of the rest can be dealt with in morphs and displacement. Those eyes are indeed piercing! Very different. Happy for ya!

odf ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2006 at 7:02 PM

file_320959.jpg

Hey Richardson! Being a little lazy with the updates. I've actually followed your suggestions before you even gave them. :) The lower back still needs work, though.

odf ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2006 at 7:03 PM

file_320960.jpg

Here are the wires to go with it.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 4:59 PM

file_320961.jpg

you've done some really good edits, I like the skin shader and lighting too. Hope you don't mind the pic I'm adding here. When I was looking at yer model (side view) and noticed a few things like the curve of the back, the rib cage (in the front), and her chest seems deflated. Plus she seems to be a little hunched over instead of standing straight. And I thought that since he uses lots of references it wouldn't be such a bad idea (or cause anyone to model things too far off) to reference his model a bit.

divinerain

odf ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 6:21 PM

file_320962.jpg

Thanks, DivineRain! You are, in fact, quite right. I've noticed the problem with her posture when I started shaping the legs, so I made some changes. And I made some more after I read you posting. Here are the current wires. Probably not perfect, but I think her back line and posture look much better. I've got some better loops, too, although certain things still bug me.

By the way, is "He" Stephen Stahlberg? Do we not use his name anymore? chuckle

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 6:50 PM

Hi odf! Her hip structure seems much better. Dropping the "crack" a good plan. So much flesh there to catch a shadow, anyway... Her legs seem filled ouit some too. Good stuff. Locked out knees and elbows will cost you later (same in mine). Course there are jcms to help reshape them in a bend. The wire line off the shoulderblades will make erector spin tough, too. Seems she'll have a hard spot at the side of her ribs when bent side to side. I'd try to catch the lower back rib line (dip above waist) as in last post61 Left. I'm still in the black as to what to do with shoulders... how much mass. How to keep the crease low...A realism killer. ,r

odf ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 7:20 PM

Hi richardson! Thanks for the tips! I have no idea about the rigging. I figured I'd first try to get her static shape right with some nice flow, then make adjustments later if she doesn't pose well. That also means that UV mapping is out of the question for a while. :-) Great idea to "catch the dip", though! Following the natural lines of the body always makes the sculpting much easier - well, unless you do it all in ZBrush anyway. :-) I guess the same holds for the shoulder blades, so that's one more item on my list. If it's any consolation, I think everyone fights with the shoulder. I think I've even read some statement by "Him" recently on that.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 8:48 PM

LoL yea, him! The side view looks a lot better. Locked knees and elbows, add me to the list. Damn... I forgot about that.

divinerain

odf ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2006 at 12:56 AM

file_320963.jpg

Here's a current render.

odf ( ) posted Fri, 03 March 2006 at 12:57 AM

file_320964.jpg

And another one.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2006 at 12:48 AM

file_320965.jpg

I just realized I hadn't posted an update in quite a while. So here is the complete model in its current state, rendered in ArtOfIllusion (AoI). This is a little more recent than the one in my gallery. I've figured out how to get AoI to render Catmull-Clark surfaces, so some ugly defects from triangulating disappeared. I've also made some progress on the feet and tried out a little fresnel effect. Otherwise, no textures or bumps, just geometry and light. :) There are some mesh changes, too, so I need to post updated wires soon. But not tonight. Time for my bedtime dose of Angel. :)

dlfurman ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 6:16 PM

Very nicely done! Cool work!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Daventaki ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 9:18 PM

shes coming along gorgeously odf!!

PXP ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 9:23 PM

This is really promising. Are you going to add some serious muscularity morphs like those in V3 so that we could create a very realistic female body builder?

odf ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2006 at 1:34 AM

file_320966.jpg

Time for some current wires. It's been a while since the last face closeup, so I'll start with that.

PXP - No, I'm currently not planning on any serious muscularity morphs. Hell, I don't even know if she's ever going to be released. This is strictly a personal project, you know.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2006 at 1:36 AM

file_320967.jpg

And here are some renders, again with ArtOfIllusion.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2006 at 1:54 AM

file_320968.jpg

More wires...

odf ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2006 at 2:09 AM

file_320969.jpg

...and the renders to go with them. That's all for today, folks! :)

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Sun, 02 April 2006 at 5:22 PM

whatcha doin?

divinerain

odf ( ) posted Sun, 02 April 2006 at 5:50 PM

file_320970.jpg

You mean right now? Trying to figure out a funny bug in a Java program. Considering if 4pm would be a good time for lunch. Yawning a lot. Listening to the crazy lady outside talking to her dog. Things like that.

Or do you mean, modeling-wise? Well, I've been working on the head again. Also on the neck, chest and shoulders, but mostly on the head. Tried to get a better skull shape, experimented with facial features (make her real pretty and cutesy, so the guys stop complaining :P), things like that. Then went on to soften the knees and made another attempt to get the feet into shape. I'll post an update on her legs shortly. For now, here's the current head.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Sun, 02 April 2006 at 11:50 PM

right now and modeling-wise. It's midnight here, whatcha doin now? Figure out the bug? Gonna have to keep a mental note on toning down my conversations with my dog and cats, but it's probably too late.. neighbors prolly think I'm already crazy. The modeling aspect is looking good. Did you work on the area under the eyes? Dunno if it's been edited or lighting, but the profile view looks a little different. Looks like you've got a better curve from under the eyes down towards the nose. The only thing about her face that I can find to nitpick is the width of her lips. They seem too wide.. maybe test with a smile expression where the lips will be stretched to the max width-wise. Kryoboy had posted a pic with lines in the body topology thread a while ago, I tried looking for it but didn't find it.. the width of the lips didn't line up with the pupil like I remember it being taught to me high school art class.. instead it was between the inner eye n pupil. I don't think there's a set rule for it tho.

divinerain

odf ( ) posted Mon, 03 April 2006 at 1:03 AM · edited Mon, 03 April 2006 at 1:05 AM

Well, I just watched "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind". Have you seen it? Interesting movie! It's not gonna make my top ten, but it's really not bad. Best Jim Carey performance I've ever seen, beats the Truman Show by far, I think. Even Kirsten Dunst wasn't completely annoying. :)

I decided to stop hunting bugs for today. Trouble is, I've checked thousands of examples that ran okay, so I'll have to figure this one out before it disappears with the next change I'm planning. And it's a terribly complicated example, so there's no way I can work it out by hand. I hate this.

Hey, is this turning into a blog? :) Time to get back to modeling: the most important thing I did is change the wires to give me a better grab of the cheek bones. I also pushed the bridge of her nose in and pulled the tip up, and I lifted the midsection of her mouth. Later I noticed that her profile looked somewhat strange, so I tilted the whole head and changed all the angles slightly. Lots of additional tweaking, too. I don't remember everything.

I agree that the mouth is rather wide. Maybe I'll change that later, but it doesn't really bother me too much at the moment.
Oh, and I'm at Renderosity Time -2, so it's not quite midnight here yet.

Message edited on: 04/03/2006 01:05

odf ( ) posted Mon, 03 April 2006 at 1:12 AM

file_320971.jpg

Oh, here are some current wires, so you can see what I changed.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Tue, 04 April 2006 at 9:29 AM

na, I haven't seen it yet. Liar Liar is probably my fav Jim Carey movie atm. He's a real goofball, funny. Watched The Man which was pretty good n funny.. with Samuel L. Jackson. Pretty kewl that the movie took place in Detroit. And finally Saw 2. My daughter is driving me up the wall with Grease and Mean Girls.. they get played an awful lot. eww.. g2g..

divinerain

odf ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2006 at 8:27 PM

file_337333.jpg

Here's a little update. Hard to mention all the changes I've made. Feet still need work and the legs were more shapely once. *sigh* DivineRain - Hmmm, I guess I'm getting a vague idea of your daughter's age here. :)

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:57 PM

yer doing such a nice job on her.. I think the legs are fine.  The forearm might be thinning out too much in front view, the wrists and hands could be a little thicker in that view. 
Have you worked out the feet yet?

divinerain

Eismaus ( ) posted Wed, 02 August 2006 at 7:45 AM

Still working on your figure?

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 02 August 2006 at 9:40 AM

Just a point will this ever be done?

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

ysvry ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 4:58 AM

not bad , the head seems a bit small.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

odf ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 12:34 PM

I'm currently taking a break from modeling. I'm still interested in finishing the figure, though.

Eismaus ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 12:54 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the update!

odf ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 4:14 PM

@diolma: This is a pure educational/practice project. I've got no idea of where I'm heading with it. :)

I had some goals, though, when I started this:

• She should look attractive, but like a real person, not a stereotype.

• She should have a fairly low poly count (the original model has around 6500 quads, but I do one subdivision for rendering in Poser and AoI, because they don't handle subdivision surfaces that well).

• The mesh should reflect the surface anatomy as closely as possible given the low poly count.

• She should eventually be able to pose fairly naturally.

• The mesh should support natural looking expression morphs and, if possible, also a limited range of character morphs. The latter is not high on the priority list, though. Also, I was definitely not aiming to support morphing her into an animal or an alien just by mesh alteration.

Eismaus ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 6:09 AM

I think she is really grogerous. I would love to make some clothes for her.

odf ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 6:30 AM

file_406560.jpg

Hello thread! Long time no see.

I've recently got back to working on her, so here's my latest test render from Poser. The hair is by Kozaburo and the skin shader by BagginsBill, so I can't take credit for those.

I just realized how great her abdomen looks in those old renders. Maybe I should try and get some of that definition back. I simplified the torso mesh in the meantime (will post wires soon), but I'm wondering if maybe I overdid it.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 1:34 PM

I am not an expert on anatomy, but I am an appreciator of the female form and I think she's quite realistic! Bravo!

odf ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 5:54 PM

Attached Link: Bored yet?

I posted another test render in my gallery, so I thought I'd just link to it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.