Tue, Oct 22, 1:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Eovia announces Hexagon 2!!!!

Ringo ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 7:46 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp

Eovia announces Hexagon 2!!!! http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp Eovia Hexagon 2 delivers all the tools a graphic artist needs to create complete, detailed, textured 3D models ready to be rendered. In addition to the extensive range of modeling features provided in its original release, Hexagon 2 now offers * freehand modeling brushes, * microdisplacement modeling tools, * comprehensive UV-mapping module with UV-unfold * advanced 3D paint, * instant Ambient Occlusion, * and much more... Pre-order your upgrade today: benefit from a preferential upgrade price and get the Hexagon 2 Golden Pack for free! AN ADVANCED ENVIRONMENT TO CREATE READY-TO-RENDER MODELS Hexagon 2 Model: From subdivision modeling to advanced surface construction tools and volumic operations, Hexagon provides multiple polyhedral 3D modeling techniques, allowing hassle-free modeling of all shapes from simple to intricate. Hexagon 2 Sculpt: The new geometry and high-resolution relief (microdisplacement) brushes bring unique and highly creative tools to refine and add extremely fine details to the 3D models. Hexagon 2 Apply UV-Mapping: Applying a UV-map over objects is easily facilitated thanks to a UV-unfold tool and a comprehensive UV-mapping module. Hexagon 2 Texture: Choose among the impressive set of predefined textures, provided by SpiralGraphics Genetica 2.5, or import any textures, and use multi-channel 3D brushes to paint your model. (Textured OpenGL display in Hexagon 2) Hexagon 2 Preview: An Advanced Preview engine, including Ambient Occlusion, real-time shadows and advanced lightmaps support, delivers immediate renders of fully detailed and textured models. (Ambient Occlusion preview in Hexagon 2) Hexagon 2 Ready-to-render: Export your fully prepared model to Eovia Carrara, Hexagon's 3D rendering companion or to other rendering products supporting standard 3D files, to finalize shaders, set-up lighting and environments, and develop fabulous images of the most inspired models. and much much more. Ringo Monfort

Ringo ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 8:42 AM

Eovia Announces Hexagon 2 Press Release #54 For Immediate Release Evolution of innovative polygonal modeling software delivers exceptional environment for the creation of ready-to-render 3D models Mountain View, CA, USA March 14, 2006 Eovia Corporation, developer and publisher of leading 3D animation, modeling and rendering solutions, today introduces Hexagon 2. This more comprehensive version of the popular 3D polygonal and subdivision modeler now includes a multitude of valuable features that allow 3D artists and illustrators to build, texture and preview detailed 3D models prior to rendering. Model Your Inspiration Using Advanced Features This evolution of the Hexagon release delivers artists an enhanced set of tools for modeling, refining, UV mapping, texturing and previewing intricate 3D creations. In addition to the extensive modeling features found in the original Hexagon release, such as polyhedral, subdivision and advanced surface modeling, Eovia Hexagon 2 incorporates highly intuitive freehand brush modeling. Using a wide range of displacement brushes, 3D artists can easily refine 3D models by smoothing, pinching, and inflating the geometry or by adding high-resolution details. Significantly enhanced texturing features have been added to Hexagon 2. A comprehensive UV-mapping module including one-click UV-Unwrap enables 3D artists to easily apply UV-maps on 3D objects. Through the new 3D paint tools, users can apply textures using brushes and imported textures or choose from a large choice of predefined textures, provided by Eovias partner Spiral Graphics. With this release, Hexagon 2 now also is compatible with all popular graphics tablets, such as the Wacom line, to enable more precise and flexible modeling and texturing results. To improve workflow, Hexagon 2 delivers immediate previews of fully detailed and textured models by way of ultra-fast Ambient Occlusion simulating Global Illumination, and real-time shadows. Once a 3D model created with Hexagon 2 is ready to be rendered, it can be seamlessly exported in native .CAR format to Eovia Carrara, Hexagons ideal and reliable 3D rendering companion, or another rendering software through standard 3D formats. Pricing and Availability Eovia expects to ship Hexagon 2 in April, for both Macintosh OS X and Windows. Hexagon 2 will be competitively priced at US$269. Customers who purchase Hexagon 1 between March 1 and April 30, 2006, will be eligible for a no-charge upgrade to Hexagon 2. Upgrade price is US$119 for Hexagon 1 owners. Eovia is also accepting pre-orders of the electronic download version (ESD) of the Hexagon 2 upgrade through the Eovia e-store. Those who pre-order this ESD upgrade will benefit from a special upgrade price of US$99, and bonus gift valued at US$30. Complete details and instructions for claiming the no-charge upgrade are available on the Eovia website. More information about Eovia Hexagon 2 software can be found on the Eovia website at: www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp About Eovia www.eovia.com Eovia is dedicated to providing unique solutions for creative professionals as well as those just starting their journey into 3D. The companys award-winning 3D modeling, animation, and rendering tools offer superior versatility, affordability and unmatched ease-of-use. Eovia was founded in November 2000, with offices in both the US and Europe. Eovia Media Contacts Worldwide (except Europe) Karen Smyth pr@eovia.com +1 (650) 938-0515 x101 Europe Stefan Blomberg press_europe@eovia.fr +33 (0) 5 56 13 71 53 2006, Eovia. All rights reserved. Carrara and Amapi are registered trademarks or trademarks of Eovia Corp and Eovia SA in the United States and / or in the other countries. Copyright Eovia 2006.

PAGZone ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:33 AM

Is there any deals on the sidegrade from Carrara?

falconperigot ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:37 AM

I love the descriptive language: 'Hexagon 2 introduces an evolutionary way to sculpt and to texture your models: Working like your favorite image editing tools, Hexagon 2 softwares brushes emancipate you from the topology of your meshes' :) Certainly looks an interesting upgrade.

Ringo ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:38 AM

its a lot more than interesting. :-) Have you check out the video clips very cool stuff.

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 10:55 AM

going to go check it out now... since I can't do much else today.

Christina -- "Love me but don't tell me so" Lilly Bart

My Art

cckens ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 11:36 AM

Me Wanna! Me Wanna! microdisplacement, UV unwrap and mapping, 3d paint... SO worth the upgrade! Ken

ValleyMist ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 11:43 AM

That's what I hate about this stuff. I just bought Hex on Jan 20th of this year. Too bad, so sad, and I'll have to pay nearly as much to upgrade as I paid for Hex to begin with. Hell, I'll probably do it, I just get tired of it.

Ringo ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 11:55 AM

I think the upgrade price to Hex 2 is 99 if I am not mistaken.

ValleyMist ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 12:07 PM

Think I paid 169 for Hex 1.2 since I bought C5Pro first.

Jconxtc ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 12:54 PM

the upgrade sounds like its going to be a poor mans z brush...(not that anything is wrong with that)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 1:48 PM

I ordered the upgrade. It was a no-brainer, obvious choice.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 2:15 PM

This looks flat-out amazing! I didn't know I "needed" another modeler until I saw the video and looked at the upgraded feature set.

Singular3D ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 3:25 PM

I second PAGZone: Any sidegrade from C5Pro?

robertzavala ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 3:35 PM

Will it run natively on Intel Macs?

Tunesy ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 4:21 PM

...cool. I didn't buy Hex 1 till March 4. Don't think I've ever accidentally stumbled into a free upgrade before. lol.

senyac ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 8:31 PM

I got Hex 1 as soon as it was released and got it at a good price because I have carrara , I upgraded to Hex2 as soon as I saw the videos and feature list :) I have Zbrush 2 but have found the UI and learning curve hard compared to other modelling programs :( Now with hex 2 I can say bye bye to Zbrush :) I also Have silo and was going to upgrade to Silo 2 but i dont know that i will now , hex 2 seams to offer more than silo now :) Hex is so easy to model in for me I love it :) And Hex/Carrara5 and poser6 is a great combo :)

InfoCentral ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 8:56 PM

Attached Link: http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=5812

Interesting discussion going on over at the Luxology forums on the new release of Hex2. Check it out...

ren_mem ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:21 PM

Wow.Gonna have to check it out.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

ren_mem ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 12:10 AM

I just got HEX at Christmas, but this looks very cool. I am very curious about performance and uv tools. The microdisplacement, 3d paint and AO look pretty amazing. Seriously exciting!

Just make it invisible.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 4:11 AM

I ordered it! This is the best news this year (regarding software :-)

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 9:30 AM

I think I'll try and invest in it next month before the special runs out.... I've been using Silo as well and I really like it, but I agree Hex2 looks to offer more than Silo 2.... and I need a poor man's (or woman's) z-brush... cause I am poor. :P

Christina -- "Love me but don't tell me so" Lilly Bart

My Art

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 1:27 PM

It's interesting watching loyal users of other modelers explain to themselves why they should continue to hold their ground after watching the Hex2 videos.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Ringo ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 1:34 PM

Shonner. Yeah specially in the case of MODO 201 and Zbrush. In Zbrush they have to justified the $500 bucks and in Modo the nearly $900 bucks. But is good to know that we Eovia users are finally getting the goods at very good prices. Plus it feels good to know what we are no longer playing catch-up to the other guys. :-)

LCBoliou ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 2:06 PM

I was dithering on buying Hexagon, but no longer! I had been looking at ZBrush but couldn't get over the $500 entrance fee -- MODO was out of the question.

I think Eovia is really out to shake up the 3D software world? H2 looks like it will give me what I need, and what ZBrush would do -- except I don't think ZBrush can provide the structured modeling that H2 offers. But then I doubt H2 has the full "organic" capability of ZBrush it has enough for my use though.

BTW, I ran into this site last night: http://www.spiralgraphics.biz. They have a very cool seamless wood texture generator (Wood Workshop) for free, and 2 other fully implemented (tile, wood, metal, fabric...etc) texture generators. I purchased their Genetica 2.5 for $129 -- it is very cool! They also have a Genetica Pro that does V-clouds with self-shadows, normal bump maps and more for $399. I am certainly not endorsing this software, and I have NO economic interest in this company. I'm just passing on information to fellow 3D artists. The fully functional freebee is certainly worth it (free).

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 2:17 PM

So am I reading that Hexagon now has its own equivalent to Silo's Topo Brush? Seriously, that's one of the few functions I wanted a copy of Silo for. Heck, if the "Relax UV's" and seam mode work at all well, that alone would pay for the upgrade. I really wonder how "grafted on" the 3d painting and the related mapping tools are, though -- I can't recall seeing any of this in an Eovia product before. I still aim to try it out. Will be upgrading after I take a look at my budget.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:14 PM · edited Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:15 PM

Well I've got mine ordered...now maybe I can learn to model finally :) This looks fantastic :)

Quote from Shonner "It's interesting watching loyal users of other modelers explain to themselves why they should continue to hold their ground after watching the Hex2 videos."

3d software people do the same ;)Ie Bryce/Vue/Max/LW etc etc.....people stand by their software no matter how flawed or old it maybe be.

Message edited on: 03/17/2006 15:15

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:36 PM

How about, they stand behind their software because they are used to it; they've gotten over the learning curve, and integrated it into their pipeline. You always have to weigh the costs of changing methods to the gain from that new method.

ren_mem ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:54 PM

Yeah, people like different things. Some carrara users here don't like hex. The videos always leave out details(the downsides), but at that price you can't lose.I am glad to see an unwrap/relax feature on UV.I am curious if they added any tools for plants and trees. I think charles had said they included everything requested, but I don't see anything specific to that. However,the additions I do see would make it easier to do things w/ plants that were harder to to before.How about the carrara bridge, scripting, library anybody see these? Curious.

Just make it invisible.

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 4:01 PM

Now me, what would truly excite me would be a fully powered scripting language in Carrara. But that's off the subject. One of the biggest problems I've had in Hexagon is tool sensitivity. Especially with the line tools, I start an extrude along and the thing blangs out to the edges of the window. Most of the time I have to hit enter then hand-adust using other tools. Not fun. But I haven't looked around enough to see if there's a way to fix that sensitivity.

Ringo ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 4:11 PM

HI, ren_mem. Small correction, Charles is lead eng. of Carrara develop at Eovia USA. He has nothing to do with Hexagon 2. Hexagon 2 is develop at Eovia France with its own development team etc. Plants, trees etc fall in the Carrara side of town not in the Hexagon side of town. :-)

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 4:46 PM

If a tree falls in the Carrara side of the forest....does it make a sound in French?

falconperigot ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 5:11 PM

Timbre? ;)

ren_mem ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2006 at 1:49 AM

No, it was on the hex list wasn't sure it was charles. I did know there were different dev teams:)(Want to say his first or last name starts w/ an S)Haven't gotten all the names down yet. But several people had that listed and it was stated that everything had made the new version that was on the list. But who knows when they got the list and maybe they thought that.I wasn't confusing the two.I think some degree of plant modeling belongs in the modeller. Roots should be easier to do now and cosmetics to trees from cararra. The Carrara bridge is a big one tho. I know it isn't easy, but I did expect to see that. Lot of people requested it. Maybe they will try to update carrara for this. I am sure both would probably require an update. I would say that is way on my list.What makes apps from the same company strong is how well they streamline your workflow. Import/export is more time consuming.

Just make it invisible.

Jconxtc ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2006 at 8:20 PM

replay to dlk30341 quote "3d software people do the same ;)Ie Bryce/Vue/Max/LW etc etc.....people stand by their software no matter how flawed or old it maybe be" thats why i use carrara, beause i started 3d way back in the day of ray dream studio 5.5, and im to lazy to learn a new platform (other than poser, because ive been using that from version 2)

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 2:05 PM

I have high hopes for Hex 2. Question: I watched the videos but couldn't find my answer. Will we be able to add our own microdisplacement brushes to the mix? Maybe a grayscale map? The UV editor is amazing! I can't wait to split my models into one mesh instead of two. Can Carrara do that now? Up the belly, like the video? R

Never Give Up!

ren_mem ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 10:34 PM · edited Mon, 20 March 2006 at 10:37 PM

Here it is. From Yahoo lists. Wrong about the "S"(probably the phonetic emphasis on "s" that made me think that.)He may not have meant it the way I interpreted it tho.Most likely I will preorder next month.

"Thank you for providing us with your ideas.
We have carefully read all that.
We have already started to developed new features and lots of
enhancements and the good news is that they are all your list :-)

Thanks again
Pascal Doux " Well there you go. "I've just noticed that there is a typo in my last post: Should read: We have already started to developed new features and lots of enhancements and the good news is that they are all IN your list :-) It simply maens that we haven't done all the items of the list but most of them... Just to make sure you don't expect to get the suitcase full of 100$ bills :-) Pascal"

Message edited on: 03/20/2006 22:37

Just make it invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.