Sat, Sep 21, 5:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser Python Wish List

Mason ( ) posted Fri, 23 March 2001 at 9:51 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:59 PM

Are you wanting a script to do something useful or cool and hoping someone will write one, or are you a script writer looking for something cool to write? Enter a detailed request below of what kind of script you would like to see and maybe someone else on the forum might find time to write it. There are no promises that anyone can or will write any of these but, since there are so many ideas floating around, this link can act as a central clearing house for script requests and ideas.

mocap ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2001 at 10:05 AM

Is it possible to write a poser python script the will automate lipsinc by reading a sound file on the Macintosh since there will be no mimic for the Mac??

loop ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2001 at 9:53 PM

midi control of sliders in poser would be nice

gryffnn ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2001 at 7:09 AM

I don't know much about Python (beyond that it's going to enable some amazing things to be done with Poser) but think this wish is a fairly simple variation on the built-in utilities scripts: it would be super-useful to have a script/button that would pop up a list of morph dials on the selected body part and their current settings. It would save a ton of scrolling up and down the dials, especially when you're exporting a morph and need to make sure everything else is at zero, to avoid doubling an effect. Sometimes there's a very low setting that reads as zero on the dial, or you've had to give the dial a name that's long enough to obscure the reading. And we would be able to cut and paste such a list for a record of how a character was morphed. Not a flashy project, but would probably get used a lot and make life easier for us. Hoping one of you thinks this is worth your time!

afish ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2001 at 2:18 AM

...don't know if this would be possible but... a script that would copy a morph from one side of the body to the other side, for example, left thigh to right thigh. MT Mirror does this for the face but it doesn't do it for separate body parts like the limbs. Thanks, amber

Mason ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2001 at 8:32 PM

That's almost definitly not feasible. The face can be done since its basically one geometry and all that's happening is the right side vertices are being replaced with left side vertices. Fot a left arm to right arm transfer that would be almost impossible since both are seperate geometry parts. If you want to reflect an MT for say the left forearm so it mirrors the MT already in the left forearm then that can be done. MTs are very vertex order, numebr and position sensitive. The left arm just amy not have the same # of vertices the right one has or the left may have its vertices recorded in a different order so an right arm MT would move the wrong vertices or the actual postions of each vertex in the left arm maybe reflectivily different so when the MT is applied it may create unwanted results (dimples instead of buldges). Hope that helps. Keep them ideas coming though and thanks for participating.

pack ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2001 at 3:01 PM

I request some universal command that work on each frame of an animation. Examples- 1)drop to floor- range of frames or all frames. 2)A way to import matireals (ie scalp, side face)from 1 cr2 to another 3)A way to rein in wayward spline extrapolations that go wacko between keyframes of an animation I had some others but forgot.

pack ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2001 at 6:39 PM

Oh yea, Now I remember. 4) a way to turn off bend for all body parts 5)Compress all PZ3 files into PZZ compressed format automatically like during the evening hours. 6) a way to take all maps in a PZ3 & put them in one folder.

TJ ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 6:21 PM

I downloaded the face randomizer by Bushi , awesome , I love it , would there be a body randomizer in the works by any chance , especially one for Vicki2 ??

bushi ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 12:42 AM

TJ - I've been thinking about a body randomizer. I think a first step would be a little script that would set the 'superhero' MT dials to the same value for all parts that have the MT. That would save a bunch of time instead of having to set each one seperately. I'd probably use a slider running from -1.0 to 1.0 and an alternate function to set a random value. What do you think?

TJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 8:12 AM

That would definitely be a time saver. Sounds like a great idea, Im just now beginning to use these python scripts, and their awesome :-)

rengelbr ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 1:53 PM

Hi I was surfing the site and came upon the Python Poser section. Is there more info on how Python is used to interface with Poser. I know Python from Linux, but have never thought to use it for something as Poser

TJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 4:17 PM

Python is part of the pro pack that is a addon for poser, you can read more about it at the curious labs site. www.curiouslabs.com

littlefox ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2001 at 4:14 PM

Well I'm not certain if this is possible but I thought I'd toss it out here and see if anyone could help. I'm looking for a way to transfer the 'joints' in poser to 'bones' in Lightwave. While the plugin for PoserPro allows you to import all your hard work from Poser into Lightwave, it removes all information about bones and leaves you with a solid lump (which moves by morphs) that you have to regroup and fight with to make it then work with sasquatch and the cloth programs (which doesn't understand morphs but does understand movement)..... this is a real nightmare, especially considering the 'joints' themselves are already defined and Lightwave's specs are publicly available...... HELP!?!?

mcpcrae ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 9:37 PM

Is it possible to write a poser python script that will do batch rendering of Poser pz files? Similar to the function in Raydream?

bushi ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 1:32 AM

littlefox - You might want to post a message that has the locations for the docs you refered to so folks can take a look. It would really help in getting an answer to your question. paulgregory & mcpcrae - Could you flesh this out a little? From what I understand you'd like to give a script a list of files and have Poser render them. That doesn't say anything about how you see this happening. What does it do with the files after they're rendered, where does it go to get the files to render, where does it get the settings for the renders, that kind of stuff. Some details would help quite a bit. As with most things programmatic, all of these are probably do-able. It just depends on how much time and effort have to be expended to reach the goal.

mcpcrae ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 6:23 PM

Yes. Pretty much ditto what paulgregory is saying. Thanks.

littlefox ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:12 PM

The info should be on www.lightwave6.com then select developer's hub. That's where you'll find the publically available specs for how objects, scenes, scripts and so forth work. Basically all I'm looking for is something that can take the poser hiearchy/grouping into Lightwave as bones or skelegons.... the current setup imports it as a solid object with no groups and no understanding of the poser joints.

markdc ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:22 PM

Attached Link: http://flashcardsonline.tripod.com/pinstall.html

paulgregory, For some reason there is a script to do this with flash, but not avi. Why they did that I have no idea. Very frustrating. The MoveMaker class only seems to be able to render flash so we can't write our own script.

the3dwizard ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2001 at 12:39 PM

Script to take a set of obj's and apply them to their corresponding objects on a figure as morph targets. Automatically give each morph target the same name. Perhaps this could be qued by the name of the morph file, i.e. large_rshldr. Script would load all morph files out of a directory then sort and assign based on part of the file name. This would sure help when making full body morphs! Random copies of an object, prop or figure. For example, My idea is if you have a square that you have a transparency tree mapped to it you could make a forest. Select the prop. Script would have menu for number of copies, random seed, rnd elevation on/off, (off they would all have the same elevation, y ), -z direction only on/off (all copies would be behind the prop if this is on, rnd height and width, (% of prop size, ie. +/- 5%) 0% would be no variation. If anyone actually does these I sure would like a copy :)

DraX ( ) posted Fri, 31 August 2001 at 12:33 PM

I'd like to see a script to automatically save out MAT and MOR poses.

sturkwurk ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2001 at 6:45 AM

I'd like to see a Magnet Mirror... to copy a magnet from one side to the other side of a figure or object. (similar to symetrical functions) Morph Mirror... and a Prop copy function.

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

jamball77 ( ) posted Tue, 23 October 2001 at 11:22 PM

I have an idea for a script. Poser croaks when you have scenes with large numbers of characters, and props. Does anyone think it would be feasible to write a script that would sequentially turn on the visability opf each item in the scene and then render the scene/animation. Each sequence would have to be composited together after the renders were through.

DraX ( ) posted Tue, 23 October 2001 at 11:47 PM

Doug, I have finished a Magnet Mirror script, and I'm making that available soon... As soon as I figure out how Poser's engine handles geometries, I will be completing a prop mirror that not only mirrors a prop, but flips the vertices, too

Connatic ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 10:43 AM

A Python script to flush selected or all textures from the materials requestor would be very useful.

markdc ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2002 at 10:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=518184

jamball, Please see attached link. This may be what you want.

Tomsde ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2002 at 1:42 PM

I'd like a script that will flip objects and figures imported from Carrara into Poser to the orientation and scale. It anyone can write a script like this I'd even be willing to pay for it.

hughson ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 9:47 AM

I would Like to see a script that puts a sequenced image files (movies) as a texture. I think it would be quite easy to do.Each frame would have to have a different texture map applied to it. this would save me lots of time.right now I have to load a texture map render scene then go the next frame-load the next sequenced image file,render again and again. When you do this for 1000 frames it quite tiring.

ofcourse if it is possible to have an avi as a texture it would be even cooler.

Oarman ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 12:25 PM

I would love to see the following scripts. A script that would let me modify a mimic file. Sometimes the files need to have bigger lip movements (Cartoons), more blinks, more eye movements etc. Another scripts class that would be great is physics effects. It would be great to have Vicki walk around and have her hair flops automatically and correctly depending on her walk/run/head turns. This same idea on different body part (like her breast). This can also work for any large body part that should move when you do an animation. (I've seem this somewhere but it was just a specific model). I would also like to have one that took care of breathing effect, eye tracking/movements and other common thing a human may do (like sneezing, wheezing) - with control options. Oarman

Glen Wilson ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2002 at 4:46 PM

Now I dont understand this python thingy one bit. But heres a 'wish' from me. As I composite a lot of my animations with bryce, wouldn't be great if the shadows would become part of the alpha channel? Then I could place some transparent objects around the scene that match the the bryce scene, then hey presto!. Shadows. Also, objects in the foreground that allow parts of the poser scene to be clipped off.

saxon ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2002 at 4:52 PM

I'm wondering if it would be possible for a script to alter the IK's. I'd like to be able to move the goal up and down at will whilst animating. For example, from the feet to the thighs (for when a character is kneeling). Either that or some other way to pin a limb part in position, try animating a kneeling position and you'll see what I mean...

Xena ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 2:46 AM

Is it possible (or already done) to have a script remove ALL magnets from a scene in one hit? I mag clothing and can sometimes have up to 30 magnets on one piece. Having to delete each one by hand is driving me bugshit.

micca ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 12:40 PM

is it posibal to right a python script that wold morph/repalce a charitor in a sean while keeping size and pose/ motion . example woman running and then becoming a werewolf as she drops to all 4 feet

Montressor ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 5:56 PM

The up-and-coming Montressor's Poser Aid actully has several displays like this - and you can cut/copy/paste. Anyone interested in being an Alpha (naw, it isn't even Beta yet) tester?

Here is a sample, copied from the list:

--------------- start of sample --------------------

#--- Figure:Figure 1

#---Actor Body

poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('Scale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('xScale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('yScale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('zScale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('yRotate').SetValue('-0.0778781995177')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('xRotate').SetValue('-0.00994206033647')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('zRotate').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('xTran').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('yTran').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Body').Parameter('zTran').SetValue('0.0')

#---Actor Hip

poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('Taper').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('Scale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('xScale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('yScale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('zScale').SetValue('1.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('Twist').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('Side-Side').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('Bend').SetValue('0.0')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('xTran').SetValue('-3.0254798844e-007')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('yTran').SetValue('-0.00356700993143')
poser.scene.Figure('Figure 1').Actor('Hip').Parameter('zTran').SetValue('0.00275287008844')

------------------------ end of sample --------------------

Montressor

Montressor ( ) posted Thu, 09 May 2002 at 11:02 PM

I would like to see the following: 1. A COM interface (I could do it from a REAL version of Python, rather than one from 1999) 2. A way to use a current version of Python. Say 2.2.1 I understand (from the folks up there) that there is no one there who knows how to do this. I humbly offer my services.

Rogue_Fighter ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 2:30 PM

Hi all, I know this was already "wished for" by Pack, but I didn't find any replies or what.... well, my wish is the same; a way to take all maps in a PZ3 & put them in one folder Is something like this allready out there? Thx in advance. RF

hebdemnobad ( ) posted Thu, 23 May 2002 at 1:18 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ifam.net/online_zooarium/zooarium1.htm

It would be cool to see some scripts that take a selected bone and then subject all the bone's children to transformations and keyframing that would result in undulating tentacles and whipping tentacles. I don't think that the math involved is too complicated. If there is someone out there that would like to churn out such scripts, I'll make some monsters groove to them. dan

deviliam ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 7:59 AM

How about a Python script that will let you reduce the poly count of a figure so that the figure can be used in games. I usually end up doing this in 3DSMAX or Maya after importing the figure, but it would be nice if it could be done within Poser.

saxon ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2002 at 4:18 PM

I was thinking: if y=0 then 0 if y=+n then ignore if y=-n then 0 which would keep the bloody feet on the floor and not going through it when I animate...

farbe ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 4:39 PM

Well, I would like to make 3D computer games with Poser, I currently have Poser 3.0 with the 3.1. updater and hope to upgrade to Poser 4 soon, The Kind of game I wish to do would be a 3d r.t.s similar to Battlezone, with autoejecting pilot's and allowing A.I. and enemy pilots to get into and out of empty vehicles except mine would have Hover and hovercraft tanks, aircraft and spacecraft. The thing is, I don't really know Python all that well in a Gaming capacity and I am ony just started to learn some instructions, would it be possible to to this or even make a gaming engine? and is anybody interested in doing a gaming engine, because I am

saxon ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2002 at 10:48 AM

I was thinking (again) if y (hip) is raised x amount then both feet rise x amount, then it would be much easier to clean up mo cap files (they often come in half way through the floor and this way the motion would be retained)). Also, how about constrain x or z trans for specified frames (again to clean up mo caps - they sometimes wander about) and come to think of it a way of catching errant frames would be good so if previous frame = x and present frame = bloody hell! and subsequent frame = x + 2 then present frame = x + 1 Just a thought...

dorand ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 10:52 AM

How about a Render-across-a-network option (kinda like Bryce5 can do... perhaps even tile-render optimization

doldridg ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 8:38 AM

What I see a need for is a script to calculate and either display or insert in the Render Options the distance from the current camera to the selected object in P5 for the depth of field setting. Anyone? If I knew which variables to use, I'd script it myself. My Python skills are a tad rusty since I shut down my last OS/2 system in 2000.

bushi ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 4:34 PM

@doldridg - Interesting idea. I'll take a look and see if I can come up with something that'll work for this.

CGArtDesigns ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 5:46 PM

This may be a simple script, but since I have zero programming skills in Python, how about a script that can delete all of the lights in one shot? ^_^

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 4:36 AM

Attached Link: http://www.poserpython.com/

bushi already did it, it's called lights out, check the freebie section of his site

KiDAcE ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 7:05 PM

A script that can conform clothes to the correct shape and size of the poser figure? You know...a script to make Vic's clothes fit one of her morphed sisters. I guess something along the line of "auto sizing interchangable clothes" so Vic can wear P4 and P4 can wear Vic's etc. Is that possible in Poser?

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 4:41 AM

A script which renders from fram A to frame B of an animation. this allows for rendering small parts of an animation after updates (instea dof the whole thing) or completing an animation wher ePsoer has crashed (provided one renders to bitmaps of course - rendering to .avi's doesn't leave any recovery option tha tI know of). I really need this so if no-one can help I'm gonna hafta learn enough Poser Python to attempt it myself . Cheers, Cliff Bowman

phoenix4 ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2002 at 1:27 AM

I script that would work out the correct DOF settings for your scene would be good for rendering.

rross128 ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 8:57 AM

Well, I doubt it's even remotely possible, but here's what I want. When I make something, say an outfit for Vicki, I hate going throw the long process of splitting in the group editor. I want a script that will automatically group at the approximate edges. Even if it was close, then I'd have something to go by in UV editor. I don't know anything about Python, but I've seen it do some impressive things, so that's my wish. Me

saxon ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2002 at 4:30 AM

Just for the damned thing to work in Poser 5...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.