Mon, Sep 23, 6:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Contest Announcements

Welcome to the Contest Announcements Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Contest Announcements F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 5:05 am)

Subject: Welcome to the Legends of Mernac Contest - Where You could Win $500 CASH!

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2006 at 10:07 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:18 PM

Legends of Mernac

Welcome to the Legends of Mernac, where art compliments the story and the lengends are inspired by art. Artists are asked to review the stories until they find one (or a section of one) that inspires them to submit art to illustrate that story. $500.00 CASH and many fantastic prizes sponsored by Renderosity Vendors await those that win!

• Opens: September 1, 2006
  • Closes Saturday, September 30th, 2006 12:00pm [noon] Central Standard Time (Renderosity Server Time)
  • Voting will take place: October 1st - October 7th
  • Judging will take place: October 8th
  • Winners Announced: Monday, October 9th, 2006

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 8:20 AM

Hi Lillian, Seems the Legends of Mernac site crashed the other day could you please advise on how and when things will be fixed again I can not log into the site nor can I submit a new user to the site it would also seem that some art work has been lost as well ???

I written to Rick as well but not sure if it will even get delivered so I tought I'd give you a heads up here as well as I don't see my image posted here as well. thanks in advance

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 8:45 AM

Hi JIMBOB83,

Thanks for the heads up. I checked and your submission was received here at Renderosity. It has not been approved yet. I would guess it's because the entry was not received on Mernac.

I would suggest, that you reupload your entry to Mernac, as their site is back up and I didn't see your image on the page listed.

If you don't hear anything by Monday of next week, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Fri, 22 September 2006 at 6:12 PM

Hi Lillian, Thank you for the fast responce to this and please note that some people may have to re open there accounts as well I've tried several times to log in to Mernac but it tells me I don't exist LOL But since I breath I know I do " a little dry humor " laugh is opional. I will try again and thanks for your help have a great weekend. Jim

LillianH ( ) posted Sat, 23 September 2006 at 8:11 PM

Hi Jim,

I know what you mean.

I just heard back from Rick at Mernac that the coast is clear and all is well with their site again. You should be able to get in now.

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Sat, 23 September 2006 at 8:14 PM

Thanks Lillian I've just uploaded it today and thanks for your fast and  courteous responce in this matter your the best :) Have a great weekend Jim

Boni ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 3:57 PM

Curious ... how do I track votes on this site ... the Memac contest  is closed, but it should be up for voting. 
Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Christel ( ) posted Mon, 09 October 2006 at 10:12 PM

My submissions for this contest is suddenly under this persons nick and account : Jude Mason http://www.mernac.com/modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=273 !!!??

And my account has dissapared, im on vecation so i just found this out.. I had to make a new account, MyDiva is my username.. Can the images PLEASE be moved to my account? Its a BIG logo over the tumbs that sais Christel Bro, and a smaller logo on the images..

My name is Christel Bro and im XTrinityX here on Ren, and this is the link to my gallery where you can fint thise images: http://www.mernac.com/modules/mernac/story.php?id=538&aid=636

Regards Christel/XTrinityX/MyDiva

I want to take your hand and walk you through my dreams...

swift126 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 11:47 AM

when will the contest voting end

perelredstorm ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 12:32 PM

I used to think that Renderosity was a somewhat professional organization.  This contest, however, gives me pause to wonder.

The contest ended yesterday and still no results are posted at either site.  That Rick character at Mernac posted yesterday around 10am that votes were being counted... but nothing since then.

Problems arise... that is understandable(although not acceptable in several U.S. States when a cash prize is offered)... but one would think that even a short notice that results are delayed (with a new estimate) would be forthcoming. 

What makes matters worse is that both Rick (at Mernac) as well as LillianH (both a judge AND an admin here) have been online this morning, yet neither one seems to think even a brief update is in order.

I must say that this reflects very poorly upon Renderosity.  It IS what I would expect from Mernac, but not from here. 

LillianH ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 12:43 PM

Hi XTrinityX, I replied to your post in the other Mernac thread. I have alerted Rick at Mernac to look into this.

Hi perelredstorm,

My sincere apologies for the delay. This is an extremely rare occurance. Renderosity did not receive the judging sheets or scores until after 6:30pm last night.

That being the case, the results will be posted later today. cartesius is putting everything together today.

We will let everyone know who the winners are as soon as possible.

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Christel ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 1:38 PM

Quote - Hi XTrinityX, I replied to your post in the other Mernac thread. I have alerted Rick at Mernac to look into this.

Hi Lillian :o)

Thank you so much ;o)

I want to take your hand and walk you through my dreams...

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 3:20 PM

Quote - I used to think that Renderosity was a somewhat professional organization.  This contest, however, gives me pause to wonder.

The contest ended yesterday and still no results are posted at either site.  That Rick character at Mernac posted yesterday around 10am that votes were being counted... but nothing since then.

Problems arise... that is understandable(although not acceptable in several U.S. States when a cash prize is offered)... but one would think that even a short notice that results are delayed (with a new estimate) would be forthcoming. 

What makes matters worse is that both Rick (at Mernac) as well as LillianH (both a judge AND an admin here) have been online this morning, yet neither one seems to think even a brief update is in order.

I must say that this reflects very poorly upon Renderosity.  It IS what I would expect from Mernac, but not from here. 

I do not represent either Mernac or Renderosity in any way other than being a contestant as well but from what I understand is

I would like to say that due to some technical difficulties it has been delayed.  Rick has made a posting on the Mernac site in respect that due to manipulation of the Ratings. the judging would be moved here to rosity. I think since that has happened they are going to change the way the images are judged. I think a little more paitents would go a long way in allowing both Rick and LillianH to determine the winners good luck to you and your image all my best.

Rainfeather ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 3:38 PM

patience is fine but i think what everyone is more concerned about is the courtesy of keeping the public informed about whatever changes made. i will take any, there are so many things that can happen that can muddle a well thought plan. i and some of the others who have entered the contest would definitely want to know what is up.  my thanks to lilian h for the reply...we at least know what was causing the delay however late the announcement.

perelredstorm ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 3:58 PM

JIMBOB83... as I said in my post, it is understandable that problems arise.  I get that.  (Although Rick did say the results would still be on the 9th).  The point is... according to LillianH's own post, they did not get the judging sheets or scores until after 6:30 last night (and I do appreciate LillianH coming forward with an answer).  That means that at 6:30 "they" KNEW they didn't have the results to post.  It would have been nice to see even a short post at 6:30 saying the results would be delayed until the next day... or the next week... or Christmas for that matter. 

If not at 6:30... then 8pm... or 10 pm... or midnight.  How about posting a notice before they stopped working for the night... or even at 8am this morning.  I know many people that submitted entries that were checking both sites every 15 minutes until the wee hours of the morning.  A courteous post could have alleviated all of that. 

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 5:24 PM

Quote - How about posting a notice before they stopped working for the night... or even at 8am this morning.  I know many people that submitted entries that were checking both sites every 15 minutes until the wee hours of the morning.  A courteous post could have alleviated all of that. 

I fully understand your point and by the way I'm 1 of those people checking every 15 minutes lol I'm still looking today. all I meant was that a little paitents go out to those that are now judging the contest as it stood the voting was to happen on the Mernac site  but now has been directed to 4 judges here at Renderosity because of false voting on Mernac. I'm just assuming that this was not detected until they sarted to tally up the votes. I agree a posting at 6:30 would have been nice but I must also assume that a great deal of responsiblility just fell on 4 judges to determine a winner  and that took priority over making an anouncement. it was your comment about Renderosity not being professional that triggered my responce. I've entered many 100's of contest since being here and not all have been favorable with forth coming answers. I want answers too but draw the line at name or site bashing I hope that your entry wins at least you could be compensated for your frustrations. either way I wish you and Rainfeather all the best in the contest Good luck to you both.

perelredstorm ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 6:56 PM

I am afraid I must disagree with you Jimbob... I don't consider it "site bashing", but a critique of performance.  When one of my $6.50 an hour employees is late for work, they expect and deserve a critique of that behavior.  (By the way... I have several part timers - 16 year old employees - that will call ahead if they even THINK they might be late.)
Make no mistake about it... Rendo is a business... and it is NOT a small one.  It has around 100 staff members, which is more than many small businesses and even large restaurants.  It is not "John's personal art website".  Far from it.  They take money from advertisers that expect professionalism... and that is NOT a term meant to bash the site.  It is simply a matter of conduct. That includes the ethical conduct (not to mention legal ones) of businesses whether it is a promotion (as in this case), a sale of goods, or a contract for services.

If you are thinking that Rendo should be "given a break" or "cut some slack" because many of us do this as a hobby... you are making a mistake.  It is OUR hobby... and THEIR business.  We should expect no difference then us walking into a craft store and expecting a high level of service.  In fact, as an internet company (as opposed to a "brick and mortar" one), they have far less overhead and thus turn a much greater profit than their traditional counterparts.  Yes... they are a business and should be treated as such.

So Jimbob... we should not overlook their performance.  If you do, you are accepting mediocrity... and that is a grave mistake.  You see, I like Renderosity... and I will continue to visit the site.  This incident doesn't change that.  However, I do expect them to realize that they have let down a customer (and WE are ALL their customers).  If we do not... as customers... let them know that they let us down, they may not learn from their mistakes. Now we must hope that they listen to this message.

So they WILL (hopefully) learn from this, and they will move forward and do better in the future.  We will continue to visit here and enjoy their site. But the bar is set and the expectations are clear...

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 7:34 PM

I fully agree with you that these sites are a business heaven knows how much I've spent here. and I fully agree with this as it is written but your first comments where directed at two individuals and that is what I was commenting about LilianH is not Renderosity nor is Rick Mernac though they are an indigrated part of this contest and in bringing it to a close relys on many factors and many other people. I fully understand your frustration in this situation and fully agree it is rude to say the least not to keep it's members in the loop. So for arguement sake I will agree with you.

" So they WILL (hopefully) learn from this, and they will move forward and do better in the future.  We will continue to visit here and enjoy their site. But the bar is set and the expectations are clear..."

I've been here for a long time and entered many contest anytime this had happened in the past is been treated the same way as it is now " when They know you will know."  Maybe I have settled  to accepting mediocrity. but If I had a problem with a business I would discuss my grievence with those in charge, and not take it to the employees or companies customers. So I should have just simply said instead of posting this here email it to the company. Change needs to come from the top in the way they deal with things and this is more like taking it to the show room floor. I mean you no disrespect in this matter maybe I'm just venting my frustrations as well either way I wish you all the best in the contest.

rebelmommy ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 7:52 PM

I want to just jump in here and say that I think more of what was being expressed is a disappontment in the lack of professionalism on both sides.. a simple we have encountered an unexpected delay and will post teh results as soon as possible from either site in a timely matter would have appeased (sp?) everyone (ok maybe not EVERYONE but you know what I mean) 

Renderosity's "problem Child"
Support Hydrocephalus research.. because a Shunt is NOT a cure!

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 7:58 PM

Roflmao now that would certainly do it and there is no such thing as pleasing everyone and yes it would be nice to let people know when there is a problem. maybe some day they may adopt this policy but somehow suspect not in the near future. I do commend all those that have to judge these contest because they do take a lot of flack, as well as those that moderate.

rebelmommy ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 8:07 PM

I agree there are alot of entries to gothrough.. I certainly would not want the job

Renderosity's "problem Child"
Support Hydrocephalus research.. because a Shunt is NOT a cure!

summer1412 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 8:35 PM

I would just like to say that I agree firmly with perelredstorm. Renderosity is a business and must act like such. Of course, we wouldn't go to an art store or an art gallery, even, and be too happy if we found no one there because they didn't put an "out to lunch" sign on the door due to lack of time. It's the same thing here, and I know everybody has their hopes about the contest and are anxious to see the results. I'm included, I've been stoked about the whole thing since I first entered.

So let's hope they get it up here TONIGHT as promised, and if not, post a NOTICE this time, and let's also hope that something like this is less likely to happen in the future. I'm really glad perelredstorm said something about it, because it's true, and I'm sure more than one person was thinking it as well. It's for Rosity's sake more than anything, because if someone wanted to be an idiot about the whole thing they could get in trouble legally, which would really suck >.O

Good luck to everybody, and though the results are delayed - laughs - thank you to Mernac and Rosity for sharing this contest. It was fun.
-Summer

Buy Prints

Facebook Page

1sandman1 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 8:40 PM

I'm glad they stepped up to the plate on this.  Some people were going through the gallery punishing artists with unfair values.  No comments, no critiques, just slamming them with low scores.  My favorite piece (which was not mine) had a score of only 8.  It was beautiful.  Other pieces had 10's, but were truly low-level high school quality at best.  Time and time again pieces of art that were, shall we say, "of low quality" were being given very generous scores.  Although the communication was badly handled, the decision to rejudge the contest was genius.

Imagine posting on a national magazine level the crap some had posted.  The magazine would probably give you the cold shoulder if they used the art at all.  They should use the best artwork around judged by a small panel of experienced art judges.

This would be the best move for all of us.  Quit whining and go draw.

Sandman

Rainfeather ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 9:39 PM

no whining here..just drawing, rather rendering really. but we all await patiently, as much patience  we can possibly muster. oh and thanks for the best wishes jimbob but i am rooting for someone else to win ;)

Hedda ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 10:21 PM

Quote - no whining here..just drawing, rather rendering really. but we all await patiently, as much patience  we can possibly muster. oh and thanks for the best wishes jimbob but i am rooting for someone else to win ;)

But you did get the 2 place, Rainfeather, with a beautiful picture so congratulations so much  to you :) :thumbupboth:

JIMBOB83 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 11:17 PM

Well you got 2nd place Rainfeather congrats on that it truly is a great rendering and well deserved to be  in the top 3 for sure as for me its back to rendering as usual. until the next contest

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.