Tue, Oct 1, 11:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Creating bioluminescence with P6 shader nodes?

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 7:23 PM

hmmm.... Renaissance with bioluminescence... an interesting thought... ;) jonthecelt

Arien ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 7:32 PM

Not Renaissance. But I can't give it away right now, you'll find out in time :P

My store

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 7:37 PM

fair enough... let me just say again, your work is incredible, and it's always interesting reading your posts and offerings for Fredrik... :) jonthecelt

MartinW ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 2:30 AM

bkmk

Nialas ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 1:55 PM

Also bkmk.

zorares ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 7:48 PM

OK, I'm doing something really wrong because I'm not getting anything like these samples. Can someone please explain "Gathernode for dummies?"

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 9:53 PM

svdl posted this earlier in this thread to help me:

Quote - OK, here we go. Let's start with something simple, a ball and a box. We're going to make the ball glow and the box will catch the glow.

1. Start a new empty scene and create a ball prop and a box prop. Put the ball on top of the box.

2. The ball will be the light emitter. Set its ambient color to something else than black, and the ambient value to 1.

3. The box will be the light receiver. Connect a Gather node to its ambient color channel, make sure that Max Distance is large enough (from each point on the box a ray should reach past the ball), set the ambient value to 1.

4. Delete all lights. Enable raytracing and render.

Hope this helps,

Steven.

I also suggest that you look for my post in this thread where I post a screenshot of my material room.  Then read the next few posts down from that.  Try doing the same thing I had done, using a ball and a box.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

zorares ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 10:51 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_343722.jpg

Thank you. You've cut through the fog in my brain. This node has some interesting possibilities.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 10:55 PM

It really does :)

Spanki ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 10:06 AM

Just a note to everyone entering 'bookmarks'.... if you don't want to add anything to the thread, you can (now) just click on the 'subscribe' link, just above the place you type in the message.  This will save tons of ebots going out when someone is just bookmarking.

Cheers,

Keith

p.s.  "bookmark" :).

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 4:40 AM

Anton! If you are still watching this thread...This link is dead, could you send a new one??? Please.....

Attached Link: P6 Lighting without Lights

Sure. I was just playing with lighting effects

ThanX!
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

zorares ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 7:32 AM

I assume that Poser 7 will have this option also? Anyone know if it'll be better?

Arien ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 7:51 AM

Attached Link: P6 Lighting without lights

> Quote - Anton! If you are still watching this thread...This link is dead, could you send a new one??? Please..... > > > Attached Link: [P6 Lighting without Lights](http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2222447)

I'm not Anton, but I can help

The new thread is here
For the future, if you need to read a thread from the old system into the new, take the old url:
http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2222447

take the part in red, up to the = sign, and replace it with http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=

So the new url is http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2222447

My store

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 8:28 AM

Phwoaaarrrr,....

Little_Dragon, nice effects.  I learnt something new today...

Eternal Hobbyist

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 8:50 AM · edited Wed, 29 November 2006 at 8:53 AM

ThanX DB!!! The change is making life confusing for a few of us! :(
But your response is appreciated! :)
HuggerZ!
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

pooba00 ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 12:16 PM

it's absolutely ridiculous why renderosity can't just code in a link redirect!
it's a matter of a couple lines of code, if that..

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 1:55 PM

Quote - I assume that Poser 7 will have this option also? Anyone know if it'll be better?

Yes and yes. Gather in P7 can also use the irradiance cache, just like AO (see Reason #4). In English, this means that you have a slider in the rendering prefs with which you can make it less grainy and render a lot faster through interpolation.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 4:59 PM

stewer - when poser 7 is released, do you have any new tutorials planned?

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 5:33 PM

Certainly thinking about it, but the first thing I'll do once Poser 7 is released is turn off the computer and go outside. There are people and things in my life that didn't get the attention they deserve or require, and I really should catch up. First of all, my wisdom teeth are due. :unsure:

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 6:51 PM

that was sounding great until the wisdom teeth part.  you should definitely get some fresh air, sunshine and play in there sometime.  it's just good to know that you'll be sharing some of your in-depth knowledge in the future.

Nalif ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 6:31 PM

Wow. This thread is still alive :biggrin:

Lots of useful information in this thread. Crazy to think I started it almost a year ago. Time flies!

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 9:02 AM

Definitely a bookmark for this one.  I'm just getting into shaders so this is wonderful!

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2007 at 1:13 AM

Yes, this is a great thread!  I wasn't able to take full advantage of it before but now that I have a new computer I'm hoping that I can now.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2007 at 5:55 AM

I got the ball and box to work ok, and the ball and floor but I just can't get the gather node to work on a model.  Something I'm not doing right, I'm sure, but I'll keep playing with it.

I, also, can't get it to work at all in P7. 

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

destro75 ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2007 at 9:13 AM

Quote - I got the ball and box to work ok, and the ball and floor but I just can't get the gather node to work on a model.  Something I'm not doing right, I'm sure, but I'll keep playing with it.

I, also, can't get it to work at all in P7. 

I actually had it working in P7. I got Nybras to give off an aura that looked pretty cool.

Maybe if you post a pic of your shader tree someone can help you out?

lululee ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2007 at 4:11 PM

bookmark

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 13 February 2007 at 11:31 PM

It'd be great if someone could make put this wonderful work into practice and upload the resulting material to the freebies section.

I'm going to have a swing at this myself on the weekend. If I manage to crack this nut I'll be happy to save and share the resulting material. If not, I'll be back and begging for help!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2007 at 5:19 PM

Never mind.

I got this to work first try!

Thank you to everyone that shared this information, and made it so idiot (me) proof.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 12:26 AM

file_370056.jpg

> Quote - A render with Gather illuminating with Anton's Majik spheres. No lightsources.

Can you tell me how you achieved that effect?

Where did you plug in the gather node and how did you get it to illuminate on those body parts? Did you have to connect a gather node for each part of the body you wanted to illuminate?

Perhaps a screenshot of your material room would help? hint

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 12:29 AM

Quote - I got the ball and box to work ok, and the ball and floor but I just can't get the gather node to work on a model.  Something I'm not doing right, I'm sure,

Ditto that!

I got the ball on the box but that's all I've been able to achieve with this.

I want to know how you get it to illuminate on an actual figure such as a mage holding a ball of light where the light would obviously be illuminating the mage's body.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 3:38 AM

I haven't tried this one myself, but I guess the gather node has been attached to all materials of the mage, probably the Ambient input, while the magic effect has a high ambient value.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 3:53 AM

What confuses me is do I connect the gather node to the Diffuse Ambient  channel of the item I want to glow... or do I connect the gather node to the item I want the glow to be on.. IE: V3's skin texture... or do I connect a gather node to all of it (Item I want to glow plus V3's skin texture)? 

Whatever I have been doing doesn't seem to be working.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 4:42 AM

Ooops. I meant to say "Alternate Diffuse"  channel instead of "Diffuse Ambient"

modus0 ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 2:39 PM · edited Mon, 26 February 2007 at 2:41 PM

file_370085.gif

You need to set Ambient on the surface you want the glow on to 1 (color:White), and attach the gather node to that surface's ambient color.

Here's a screenshot showing V3's SkinHead material with the gather node attached, and a render with a ball with ambience.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 6:25 PM

Thanks!  I think you unconfused me, hehe

Connatic ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 6:25 PM

Quote - Can you tell me how you achieved that effect?

It's been a while since I did that pic.  It was done on a retired computer and I have lost the file, so I cannot provide a screen-grab.  I believe a good starting point is modus0's settings.  Experiment with the Gather settings.  The Gather must be attached to each body part.

Using Gather was so slow, at least when it was first added to Poser, that I gave up using it.  Maybe in P7 with my new computer I can get speedier results!

DarkElegance ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 8:10 PM

O.O bookmarks so she can learn cool effect......

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

modus0 ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 9:15 PM

Quote - Thanks!  I think you unconfused me, hehe

No problem.

I myself am trying to see if it's possible to have a glowing tattoo on a figure and have the gather node attached to that same material zone glowing as if the tattoo is really shedding light.

So far I've discovered that I need some way to invert the gather effect, which itself has been inverted because of how I did the tattoo effect.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 11:49 PM

I've had allot of fun playing with this.

My only problem now is thinking of a way to incorporate it into a 'final' image. There are only so many dark magician images you can make! :)

It's unfortunate the colour gathered is so sporadic. If it weren't for the resulting 'noise', the node would be much more useful.

Very cool none-the-less.

modus0 ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 3:39 AM

IIRC, changing the numbers for the node changes what kind of look you get.

A very high sample will generate a more solid "illumination" closest to the "illuminator", although that will slow the render down significantly.

CastlePoser has a nice 2-part tutorial on the gather node (among others) that's fairly explanaory.

Connatic ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 7:55 AM

Quote - There are only so many dark magician images you can make!

Why limit the usage to dark magicians?  I can think of dozens of situations where Gather could enhance a render.  Shaped illumination, like flourescent tubes, plasma beams, glowing robot eyes and back-lit panels just to name a few.

modus0 ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 3:11 PM · edited Tue, 27 February 2007 at 3:12 PM

And I've got a scene in my gallery with a skeleton and glowing eyes.

You can also do things like luminescent aliens (ala The Abyss), or radioactive individuals.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 3:20 PM

It is also good for lighting up lamps too. Anton posted a wall sconce in another thread where he used this technique and it actually looked like the lamp was really lit and casting light on the wall.

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 5:59 PM

The 'Dark Magician' comment was tongue in cheek, but I am thankful for the suggestions.

Thank you for pointing me in CastlePoser's direction modus. Some useful tutorials on here.

Robo2010 ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 5:22 PM · edited Tue, 17 April 2007 at 5:26 PM

file_375083.jpg

Wow..this thread helped. Awesome thread on the "gather" nod. And I had it the other way around when it came to receiving, transmitting light and couldn't succeed. 

This image, I used gather nod (Floor, walls..except for the wall on the right of image) and two infinites, to light outside of this MechHanger building in helping bring light into a room. This render took two hours, and was worth it in learning how to use this nod. Wonder if P7 is better on the "gather" nod or both P6, P7 the same?

Robo2010 ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 6:18 PM

file_375087.jpg

Without using Gather nod.

Wiccancowboy2000 ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2007 at 11:35 PM

"I myself am trying to see if it's possible to have a glowing tattoo on a figure and have the gather node attached to that same material zone glowing as if the tattoo is really shedding light."

Modus0, have you found a good, solid way of creating this effect?

modus0 ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2007 at 12:56 AM

No, I did figure out how to have tattoos look like they're glowing, by plugging a separate texture for the tattoo into the second value of a math function node set to subtract which is in turn plugged into the ambient color.

Getting it to work with the gather node is going to take some investigating, which makes it one more thing I've got on my plate that I'd like to get done.

If it can be done at all.

Phuzzie ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 1:46 AM

That is SO FREEKIN COOL

Thank you ! ALL !

DigitalDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 4:25 AM

It would be cool to gather threads such as this and have a tutorial section devoted to them.
Can't wait to try these effects!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.