Fri, Sep 20, 10:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Slow site ..Slower site .. Slowmotion Site ... THIS SITE ... Why ?

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 2:55 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:48 AM

Why after all this time and all the complains from users and moderators
Is this site stil slower then a slowmotion of a snail ...
Is this because of :
1 there is just nothing you can do the servers are not fast enough.
2 the people who must take care of the speed aint good enough .
3 You thought well when we just dont talk about it anymore they will forget it.
4 You gonna do something about it because its a real pain in the butt for the users.

5 And i hope this is not true : you dont care, just let the money come to mama..

I realy dont like the speed of this site anymore its NOT faster then it was before all the changes
its not getting faster, its getting slower instead..
And why dont we hear anything about it ..... sure you people who work with this site every day must notice it too..

Greeting 
Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 5:12 PM

There are some things going on behind the scenes to pin down the issue of the site speed. We are aware of it and are trying to take the necessary steps to address this once and for all.  I believe in the "State of the Spotlight with JeniferC" she addressed this as well. You might check out the front page article that is still up and read her response to this issue as well.

Thanks

Radlafx ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 10:38 PM

Its because of the browse feature in the gallery. Scroll down, scroll up, click browse. There are other reasons though iCant think them up right now 😉

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

bazze ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 5:01 AM

Practically everything you do on this site generates requests to the Database. I don't see any smart solutions that are common practice in todays modern web applications (for example Ajax: Asynchronous JavaScript and XML).

The information architecture seems to be somewhat neglected - whatever task you wish to perform requries many clicks and reloads with new database requests each time.

I may be totally wrong but that's my guess. :)

www.colacola.se

AngusD ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 5:05 AM

Try disabling Javascript while on Rosity. Don't know why, but since I disabled Javascript on Rosity, the site runs a lot faster - most of the time. ;) Somehow something on Rosity (don't know exactly what it is) tries to load a non-existing script from my PC?! Excerpt of my Apache Error-Log: [Mon Dec 04 11:42:32 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: X:/www/collect.jsp, referer: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2675138 This is not a browser issue (Opera, IE, FF are showing the same behaviour) or an OS issue (same on XP and Linux). Maybe it's a bug in the Javascript-Client on my PC, but then this should also happen on other sites too, but it doesn't. Very confusing...

http://www.synfulmindz.com

drifterlee ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2006 at 1:25 PM

I have hi-speed cable and live in the US. When Europe is online, it's impossible for RR site access. If you wait until they are sleeping you can get on. This is a popular site, and the servers can't handle it, obviously.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2006 at 1:30 PM

well when i wait untill europe is a sleep ..i should be too..
But 9 out of 10 time europe is at sleep when im on R'o ..but still the speed stinks big time.
So nomatter when or where ..its the most low site i know....

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

HeRe ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 4:59 AM

Why can reasonable, contemporary hardware not buy itself Renderosity.com simply like other comparable servers also?
Why must I sound here suggestions, how do Javascript switch off or other adventurous suggestions?
From Europe with a DSL connection with 2 MBit that is simply to be surfed an imposition on this server.

Sorry for my bad english

GabyTrautmann ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 5:43 AM

Yes! full approval, this is a cruelly slow scrap metal heap here.

TallPockets ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:48 PM · edited Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:50 PM

What new things can the community expect for 2007? "The same thing we do every year, Pinky. Try to take over the world." HAHAHA!! Sorry, I have been watching too many re-runs of the Animaniacs cartoon Pinky and the Brain. Okay, seriously now. Our team has many grand ideas that we want to accomplish in 2007. Our number one goal is to improve site speed (that's where the same as every year comes in). 

Improving site speed is a moving target. The more we increase performance the more traffic, and search engine crawlers we get that end up slowing the site down. However, we will continue to fight to balance the Dark Forces of the over-zealous engine crawlers that can often been seen as site destroyers. (JenniferC quote from front page).

**Hello, JenniferC:
This is my first computer. Would you be so kind as to explain the last paragraph to me? Talk to me like a 'third' grader. I'm not the brightest bulb in the room. Are you saying that as you increase servers, etc., you get more traffic and it slows down to a sum, net gain of zero? Or even a net loss of site speed?

Maybe, until you can actually increase your site speeds at this most wonderful site, you might think of limiting membership here until you can obtain enough capacity and technical know how necessary to serve those who are already here in a better fashion? Just a thought.

While you're at it, maybe you can also look into some of the issues in all these threads that always seem to repeat and repeat and repeat and .... well, you get the idea, kind soul.

Awhile back this site ran a 'site speed' poll asking it's members to vote on the site speed. I amusingly ask why this was ever needed? For months and months and years, site speed at this wonderful site, compared to other similar sites speeds, has proliferated the community center forum topics. You had to 'ask'? Why would your technical staff not 'know' your site speed? Current and capacities under normal operating conditions?

I also see StaceyG busting her behind trying to get answers to all the members here. I keep seeing her have to state things like, "I'll contact staff and get back to you". To me, that is normally done in any business. However, when there's been one long, ongoing, specific issue that affects the majority of members/customers, why wouldn't a 'technical' staff member be 'assigned' here on a fairly consistent basis to see what's actually going on and to help out Miss StaceyG more and give some timely and specific information to the most valued members?

Just a few simple thoughts from a simpleton. WINK.

GOOD LUCK in your new job! CONGRATS!
In a post a short while back, one poster called me a ''f
***g messiah.

Here's hoping you're the 'fix it' messiah. SMILE.

My best to you and yours, kind soul ....

TallPockets.

HeRe ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 3:46 AM

... does one have to understand this waffle?

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 9:57 PM

I don't get it...Perhaps I'm just lucky (Or don't subscribe to the Browser of the Month Club), but I have no problems with speed here. I mean...since the forum conversion, this site runs blazing fast for me.

As fast, if not faster than any other site I come upon.

Cable modem, using the latest version of IE 6.

No speed problems.

No security problems.

I don't doubt that some are having these problems. I see them posted (Repeatedly,and mostly by the same people).

I wonder what the common element is?

Browser ?

Location ? (Clogged routers along the path)

User system configuration? (Firewall, Antivirus software)

I guess I'm just surprised to see all the complaints, when I'm having none. None of the error messages posted recently, nor any speed problems.

Very strange.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 9:58 PM

Quote - **Hello, JenniferC: **

[shakes head slowly, dabs away welling tears] Oh gawd...poor Jennifer  :ohmy:

Quote - This is my first computer. Would you be so kind as to explain the last paragraph to me? Talk to me like a 'third' grader. I'm not the brightest bulb in the room. Are you saying that as you increase servers, etc., you get more traffic and it slows down to a sum, net gain of zero? Or even a net loss of site speed?

Wikipedia is your friend, and if you managed to complete 6th grade, you should be able to understand the following excerpt...

"Crawlers can retrieve data much quicker and in greater depth than human searchers, so they can have a crippling impact on the performance of a site. Needless to say if a single crawler is performing multiple requests per second and/or downloading large files, a server would have a hard time keeping up with requests from multiple crawlers.

As noted by Koster (Koster, 1995), the use of Web crawlers is useful for a number of tasks, but comes with a price for the general community. The costs of using Web crawlers include:

• Network resources, as crawlers require considerable bandwidth and operate with a high degree of parallelism during a long period of time.
  • Server overload, especially if the frequency of accesses to a given server is too high.
  • Poorly written crawlers, which can crash servers or routers, or which download pages they cannot handle.
  • Personal crawlers that, if deployed by too many users, can disrupt networks and Web servers.

A partial solution to these problems is the robots exclusion protocol, also known as the robots.txt protocol (Koster, 1996) that is a standard for administrators to indicate which parts of their Web servers should not be accessed by crawlers. This standard does not include a suggestion for the interval of visits to the same server, even though this interval is the most effective way of avoiding server overload. Recently commercial search engines like Ask Jeeves, MSN and Yahoo are able to use an extra "Crawl-delay:" parameter in the robots.txt file to indicate the number of seconds to delay between requests.

The first proposal for the interval between connections was given in (Koster, 1993) and was 60 seconds. However, if pages were downloaded at this rate from a website with more than 100,000 pages over a perfect connection with zero latency and infinite bandwidth, it would take more than 2 months to download only that entire website; also, only a fraction of the resources from that Web server would be used. This does not seem acceptable.

Cho (Cho and Garcia-Molina, 2003) uses 10 seconds as an interval for accesses, and the WIRE crawler (Baeza-Yates and Castillo, 2002) uses 15 seconds as the default. The MercatorWeb crawler (Heydon and Najork, 1999) follows an adaptive politeness policy: if it took t seconds to download a document from a given server, the crawler waits for 10t seconds before downloading the next page. Dill et al. (Dill et al., 2002) use 1 second.

Anecdotal evidence from access logs shows that access intervals from known crawlers vary between 20 seconds and 3–4 minutes. It is worth noticing that even when being very polite, and taking all the safeguards to avoid overloading Web servers, some complaints from Web server administrators are received. Brin and Page note that: "... running a crawler which connects to more than half a million servers (...) generates a fair amount of email and phone calls. Because of the vast number of people coming on line, there are always those who do not know what a crawler is, because this is the first one they have seen." (Brin and Page, 1998)."

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

Quote - Maybe, until you can actually increase your site speeds at this most wonderful site, you might think of limiting membership here until you can obtain enough capacity and technical know how necessary to serve those who are already here in a better fashion? Just a thought.

I gotta tell ya, you've come up with some real zingers during your endless crusade in this forum, but this one takes first place!

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 10:09 PM · edited Fri, 08 December 2006 at 10:11 PM

Quote - I don't get it...Perhaps I'm just lucky (Or don't subscribe to the Browser of the Month Club), but I have no problems with speed here. I mean...since the forum conversion, this site runs blazing fast for me.  As fast, if not faster than any other site I come upon.

I'll say I experience slow-down on one visit out of ten, and it doesn't seem to matter how many people are on line.  But even when it's slow, it's still workable, unless it crashes like it did over Thanksgiving.

I'm using IE 7 and Broadband and have no difficulty at all. 

Quote - I wonder what the common element is?

Browser ?

Location ? (Clogged routers along the path)

User system configuration? (Firewall, Antivirus software)

I've wondered the same thing and imagine it could be a combination of all three.

Quote - I guess I'm just surprised to see all the complaints, when I'm having none. None of the error messages posted recently, nor any speed problems.

Well, like pain, I suppose there is a certain threshold in all people.  When the site does slow down I find it simply annoying.  I can come back an hour later and it flies.  But I've never found it so slow I go berserk.

billy423uk ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 3:56 AM

same here dreamer.

billy

pearce ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 6:09 AM

Ah, complaints about complaints. Looks like a new Complainer of the Month contest is getting under way :laugh:

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 1:47 PM

I think you'll find the speed of the site is related to the user's computer!  Which is why there is so much variation in perception.  Yeah, seems impossible, but if you have a slow PC and/or video card and/or limited memory, this site will run slow.

Here's an example - and yeah, I still have a 1GHz PC with a very old/average video card - open a fresh copy of a modern browser with Tab support, and go ahead and open about 6 tabs pointing to R'osity Forums.  After about 4 or 5 you'll find your even your mouse starts to behave bizarrely, and take a long time to react.  Go up much above 8 tabs and the browser will be unusable while any network traffic is occurring.

And before anyone ridicules 6+ tabs, that's the fastest way to read Forums, esp. from a slow site, middle-button click each article you want to read on that page, click next page, and go read the others while it refreshes.

Now, I've not found ANY other site in the universe that behaves this way.  Heck, a 286 outta be enough to run a browser.

The reasons may be many, but one that seems obvious to me is:

- This FCKEditor (that's its name not an expression of my opinion of it) uses a huge amount of javascript resources.  Nothing against FCKEditor, or even the amount of resources - I use a very similar one.  But not on EVERY PAGE!  Have it on a click to bring up when/if you reply.  Or do what almost every other forum with a reply box does: have a simple no-bells-&-whistles "Quick Reply" box on bottom of every forum page, with a button to take you to the FCKEditor "wsyiwyg" editor version if you want/need it.  (And also please install the FCKEditor option to NOT take away the built-in spellcheckers available in today's browsers - or pay the $$$ to FCK for his spellcheck utility.)

But clearly something is very wrong - which cannot be related to server speed, network traffic, or anything else out on the 'Net - when your otherwise very slick and fast browser suddenly starts to fall over itself just because you went to www.renderosity.com and dared to open more than 1 tab/window...

BTW, I rarely come here to the Forums anymore - just came to read reviews of DAZ V4 - so this isn't a complaint, more an attempt at constructive criticism.  It really makes no diff. to me if the speed of this site is ever fixed or not, as I personally was driven out of near-daily involvement with this community when this new/improved service was rolled out.

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 2:02 PM

Oh, and I see this site has Stylesheet overload:  11 (yes, eleven) referenced style sheets according to my browser, plus a large in-line stylesheet in addition (!) at the top of this page, and css style commands embedded in the code for this page(!?!).

Overlooking the fact that there can't be enough entities to be described to need 11 separate sheets as well as the 2 lots of inline stuff without at least some duplication (it looks to me as if everything is defined in the 2 inline ones), every incline/embedded css style command is pure wasted bandwidth loaded, and reloaded, on every page display, defeating the browser's caching attempts made possible by referenced stylesheets.

Getting the inline style stuff out of the pages will speed up everything including the webserver and the PHP engine.  And if this basic an oversight still exists after, what, 4 months?  What else probably still lurks?

pearce ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 1:11 PM

"I think you'll find the speed of the site is related to the user's computer! "

The delay (often a minute or more when it happens) for me is always when waiting for the site to start sending data. This happens regardless of browser. Once data starts flowing the page loads quickly.

I've got 3GHz processor speed, 1G RAM, a Radeon card and DSL broadband. Until recently I had 0.9GHz, 128Mbytes and undistinguished onboard graphics. Nothing's changed regarding the lack of speed of this website (except that I've given up hoping for any improvement).

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 3:50 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm inclined to believe that browser/firewall/whatever combination doesn't have anything to do with it.
I'm one of those people for whom this site performs very poorly, speed-wise, much of the time, although I have to mention that this is the only site I see that at regularly, and I regularly visit sites with far more constant traffic.

Of course, as I've said many times before, it also is pretty quick every now and then.
shrug

hewee ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:20 PM

file_362144.gif

It is alwaying waiting to get data back from you. Can wait many seconds on each of them but the one at the top that says Done.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:08 AM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:12 AM

Sorry but it's probably nothing to do with pc speed, I have a 2.0Ghz Pentium 4 with 1Gb of ram, right now I have 10 tabs open in Firefox 2 all loading different sites & I'm able to type & fire this reply off with no trouble.

Wouldn't you know it, soon as I shut the other tabs this site starts running like it's up to it's knees in mud.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

hewee ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:45 PM

file_362272.jpg

It is the site here and the more people the worse it is. I click a link and have to wait for the site to repond back at each step like I posted in the above post. This one here too over 16 seconds after clicking a link before anything even started to happen. Yes it says 16 scounds but the time was 17 or 18. Then you get to the next part and wait more. At times but not much anymore all will seem ok or I should say better because over all it is slow even at 10 to 12 at night.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:12 AM

file_362274.jpg

Personally...I think back when Nicholas took a spill on his new motorcycle, he had his cat take over for him, and things have not been right since.

Tom

TallPockets ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:56 PM · edited Thu, 14 December 2006 at 1:02 PM

''Wikipedia is your friend, and if you managed to complete 6th grade, you should be able to understand the following excerpt...'' (TerraDreamer)

(Ah, dear TerraDreamer: "Personal attacks'' violate TOS? -- GRIN).

Hello, TerraDreamer. ''Third grade were the hardest eight years of my life''. WINK.

If you're ever serious about addressing site speed issues for me and many, many others over long periods of time at this truly, wonderful site, let me know. It seems you have a great deal of intellect and expertise in this issue.

Here's all I know for sure (leaves BIG opening, again, for TerraDreamer .... SMILE) ....

(1) This site, compared to other similar art websites, has had long, ongoing speed problems. I've seen tons of such posts about this slowness issue in this forum area since joining this marvelous site.

(2) I use Netscape 8.1.1. browser. I'm on 1MB satellite dish broadband since late march at a high cost of installation and montly premiums. I have a Pentium 4, 1.6 ghz processor and have 700+ RAM.

(3) I can be viewing other similar sites (Deviant Art, Innertraveler, 3DCommune, etc.), just prior to and immediately after, viewing this wonderful site. I can bring up to view a 300 KB size work at Renderosity on any, given day and it will take upwards of 3-5 times the time to fully load it while on another site, a 800 KB sized work will 'move' much, much faster. ???

( Since I may not have stated that well, let me try again: I can bring up an 800 KB file size faster, by far, at another similar site than a 300KB file size here at Renderosity).
Same computer(mine),  same ISP, same browser, same date and time(minutes apart).

(4) After months and years of complaints, this site ran a 'site speed poll'. The results showed the vast majorities of responders labeled this wonderful site as slower or 'much' slower than other 'similar' sites they visit in comparison.  Before you take your wit and wisdom out on me again (SMILE), please not that I was only 'one' of the many, many responders to this site speed poll. LOL.

(5) I see many others complain, over lengthy time periods, of this issue. You seem ok with them doing so. Just as long as they don't  keep complaining. As in a 'crusade'.

(6) I guess the easy answer to this would be twofold to those complaining:

(a) Stop complaning: There is no want, will or technical means to resolve this issue.

(b) Keep complaing:  Maybe thing's will get resolved.

TerraDreamer: I have no doubt you're much more intelligent in this area and many other areas than I. I accept my status as such. Since you are, would you be so kind as to just 'simply' explain to me why I, and many others, can use the 'same' equipment, the same ISP peoples, visit many other same type sites, and the 'only' site that I/we frequently experience such 'issues' with is this most wonderful site -- Renderosity?

Note: I say this all above with no sarcasm intended. I hope you take it as such. Although, I'm not sure you will. SIGH.

*** I am simply truly frustrated as to why this one site seems to be so problematic to me and others in this area of discussion compared to the many others sites I, and others, visit and use?

(IF you hear nothing else in all this, please, address this question, TerraDreamer. AND any/all Renderosity technical staff who 'may' be reading this thread). ****

I truly am, and truly have been, looking for 'answers' to this question. Any/all help you, or anyone, can give to shed light on this area would be MUCH appreciated. My THANKS, in advance, to you and anyone, who can do so.

My BEST to you and yours,

PEACE .....

TallPockets.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:07 PM

Quote - ''Wikipedia is your friend, and if you managed to complete 6th grade, you should be able to understand the following excerpt...'' (TerraDreamer)

(Ah, dear TerraDreamer: "Personal attacks'' violate TOS? -- GRIN).

Certainly not, TallPockets.  As you can see, I was giving you an extra three years credit for what hopefully is a successful 4-year degree for you.  After all, it was you who boasted having the 3rd grade intellect.  WINK.  SMILE.

I refuse to become immersed with you any further on this thread, this subject, or any other thread or subject for that matter.  This site works fine for me.  I'm able to post work, use the forums, send site mail, comment of people's uploads, etc.  And it appears you are as well, seeing as how you're here every day.

[wishes he had Tom's animated gif of Bush beating a dead horse.]

I'll refrain from answering any posts by you in the future.  I've made this decision to maintain good emotional health for myself as well as for the emotional comfort and well being of my loved ones.  Hopefully, you'll exercise the same option.

Best of luck in your most wonderful endeavor.  WINK.

Regards.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 3:51 PM · edited Thu, 14 December 2006 at 3:58 PM

file_362460.gif

I'll take a stab at this Kind Soul.

Your "Physical" location (as well as others) can (and does) play a significant role in the response of a given site you are trying to access.

Your ISP, is really just the starting point of the journey.

When you request a url (Visit a website), the route in which it takes to get to that site, may (and does) differ from site to site.

For Example:

Lets say you want to go to the 3DCommune.

The journey there from your PC goes though  your ISP, and a path is chosen to take you there.

That path goes through several "Routers" that direct your request to it's final destination (In this case...the 3DC)

The routers that your request travels through, may be un-clogged, and extremely fast.

On the other hand, if you want to got to Renderosity, the "route", could ( and likely is) a different path, and may encounter "clogged" routers along the way.

I could be next door to Renderosity's servers, but my request for the site, may bounce me around the country (or even the world) through many routers along the way,before it finally completes my request.(Loads the site)

Alternatively, I could be on the other side of the planet from the 3DCommunes servers, and the path chosen to take me there could (and likely will) take me through a totally different set of routers, to fulfill my request,ultimately taking me to that final destination.

That path, may take me through un-clogged routers along the way, and I'd arrive at my destination (The 3CD) faster, even though I'm on the other side of the planet from it's servers.

So... as I mentioned earlier, I'd be interested in finding the common element, that determines why some folks report glacial speeds while others report blazing fast speeds.

The only thing that makes sense to me,( and I'm no expert) is that the ISP of  those experiencing slowness, is taking a different path, than those, who are not.

(Not the ISP's fault either... it's simply choosing what it thinks is the best path between your PC, and the site you requested)

Those paths, may have clogged routers along the way.

But then again, I could be grasping at straws...All I know is, my PC's are relatively average, as far as memory, CPU's, etc. and I experience no speed problems, while others,( who have PC's I only wish I had as far as memory, CPU's etc). Do experience speed problems.

Again,I'm not expert, but it seems to me, that it's a matter of location, and the path(s) taken to complete the URL request to Renderosity for those folks who are experiencing slowness, are encountering clogged routers along the path.

Site programming "Could" play a role, but why then would some experience problems, while others experience none?

If it was site programming, then "Everyone" would experience the same problems.

Anyway..I do empathize with those having problems, but it is less likely that it is a "Renderosity Problem", or a "System Configuration Problem", but rather "The Path" that your ISP is choosing to take to get here.

I hope that at least sheds some light on what the problem "Might" be.

Oh...and here is the Dead Horse pic.

We all know...it will be needed again.

8 )

Tom

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 8:30 PM

if i use it do i have to give you credit tom.

i'm not up on the techi stuff but i'd say your post made sense.  i think sometimes it can also depend on load, time of day etc. on odd accassions i have to wait an age but in general it's pretty quick. i know from experience nothing works perfectly all the time.

billy

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:29 PM · edited Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:35 PM

No credit necessary...actually...that is a modified image.

The original image, had Bush beating Sadam, but I re-did the image to have him beating a dead horse.(it took some time to remove Sadam, and replace him with a dead horse)
In fact...I think the "real" original is a clip from a dirty Harry Movie.

Anyway...routers can get clogged and un-clogged depending on the load it is trying to process.

For example..it your path encounters a router in..oh..lets say..Korea, and the router is experiencing heavy volume at that time, you'll likely experience a slow connection.

It may not matter what time of day it is in your local area, but if a router along the way, is experiencing a heavy load in it's time zone, you'll experience a slow connection during the time that the clogged router is experiencing a heavy load.

(Short version)

Your local time may or may not matter, but rather the peak time of one of the routers along the path will. and that router could be anywhere in the world, and time zone.

Tom

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:39 PM

thanks tom. i like the dead horse scenario the best lol

if it's okay i may see if i can make a screensaver of it with interchangable faces.

billy

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:50 PM

BTW...regarding Tabbed browsing...well.. uh each tab is sending a new request, so it only makes sense that the more tabs you have open (sending requests) the more likely that response would get slower each time to open a new tab, and send a new request I would think.

Tom <~~personally dislikes tabbed browsing

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2006 at 11:41 AM

**"if it's okay i may see if i can make a screensaver of it with interchangable faces.

billy"**

Interesting idea...I'd say have at it.

Tom.

TallPockets ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 1:52 AM · edited Sat, 23 December 2006 at 1:56 AM

Those Sneaky Little Elves! The Renderosity Elves Speed, speed, speed...so all you want for Christmas is faster site speed?! Image used with permission by: Carol Dahl [rockets] Well, Santa heard you loud and clear. So, he and the Renderosity Elves snuck out in the wee hours of Monday morning and installed a new database server. We thought it would make the perfect gift to share with all the Renderosity Artists...no matter how naughty or nice... This is just one of the things we have been planning to bring better performance to Renderosity. We still have a couple more items on our task list to work through, but we are hoping you can already feel the improvement. We have replaced our old IBM database server. It was a quad P4 processor with 16GB ram...not a bad box, but just could not handle the load anymore. Now that the old database server has retired, it will likely do some remedial tasks while it watches the new boxes around it play and grow. The new database server has Quad Dual Core Opteron processors with 32GB ram. So, it has about twice the ability of older one. This new server will handle the load coming in from the front-end boxes a lot easier. Basically what I'm trying to say, is it plays well with others : ) You should be noticing site speed improvements in most areas of the site. The only place right now that is not as noticeable is the Marketplace. We will be working in the Marketplace next. We hope this gift of hardware will make your seasons bright as you come to Renderosity, morning, noon and night! May your holiday season be filled with with joy, and fantastic works of art! - Mortimer Kringle - Senior Elf and the Renderosity Team Printer-friendly format Member Opinions: By: Melania_Rose on 12/20/06 It is delightfully better! Thank YOU!!!! We NOTICE!!!! By: Radlafx on 12/20/06 Thanks for the speed update. :o) What do you mean by"Quad Dual Core"? does that mean there are "FOUR" dual core processors or just 2 two-core processors? (I'm guessing the former). By: dlfurman on 12/20/06 Can I have the old box? :) By: Raeven on 12/20/06 Awesome! By: TwoPynts on 12/20/06 I have noticed a slight increase...and here I though I was imagining things! ;'] Thanks! By: Webmistres on 12/20/06 Thank you!!! By: Unicornst on 12/20/06 So that's why I didn't have time to go get me a cup of coffee in between pages loading. grin Awesome job, everyone! By: TerraDreamer on 12/20/06 I agree, the performance is way better from work now, where I shouldn't be surfing to Rendo from anyway :) From home, it's significantly faster. Thanks, Rendo! By: rockets on 12/20/06 I don't understand all that, but if the site's faster than YIPEEEE!!! Thanks so much! Btw, nice looking elf you have there! LOL By: pdblake on 12/20/06 Unfortunatly he also put the marketplace on the front page. By: DarkStarRising on 12/20/06 is it faster havent noticed at all! and erm, why is the store page on the front page now??? By: LillianH on 12/20/06 Momentary situation...just to see if you were all paying attention ;-) I tell you what...you gotta watch those sneaky little elves!! Things should be back in place now. By: gillbrooks on 12/20/06 I noticed it's faster - thank ye :-) By: CandeeKis on 12/20/06 Very cool!! By: danob on 12/20/06 Certainly seems quicker to me..Well done By: ARTWITHIN on 12/20/06 Thank you very much! Have a wonderful holiday! By: kuroyume0161 on 12/20/06 I have a home for that retired IBM database server if you ever want to give up for adoption - you guys are based in Africa, right? ;) Site feels much smoother, thank you! By: Midnite_Designer on 12/20/06 Christmas did come early this year! By: valouchufy on 12/20/06 Fantastic and thanks ;) By: fastburn on 12/20/06 A big "Thank You"! The site is so much more enjoyable now that things move a little faster! Really makes surfing the galleries fun again! Thanks and all you working at Rosity have yourselfs a very Merry Christmas! By: liquidanime on 12/20/06 It has made a difference. Thank you! :) Happy holidays. By: Ardiva on 12/20/06 I noticed the difference right off. Thank you very much! By: yesitis3 on 12/20/06 I have noticed faster loading since Monday. it is an awesome present and will give Renderosity an edge on the competition By: MRC1 on 12/20/06 We certainly have come along way in the last 30 years or more in computer technology. I remeber NCR 250 which had core memory at 64 kilobites and tubes, and used cards and paper and magnetic tape. Clock speed was under 1 mHz and there was no internet and the modem work at 8600 bauds. Teletypes were used for input of data and printing output. ADM 3 Teminal and 8 inch floppy disks was high tech then. And 5 megabyte hard drive was in the developement stage. It was 5 ft wide and under 50 feet long. Noisey and hot. I am glad we have advance to where we are now. The site really work well with your up grade. By: ringbearer on 12/20/06 Thank you!! Just what I wanted! By: MoonGraphics11 on 12/20/06 Awesome!!!! By: Thorwald on 12/20/06 immediatly could tell something was different THANKS!!! By: kansas on 12/20/06 Thanks and it makes a difference already. Merry Christmas to the Renderosity team. By: phoenixwaller on 12/20/06 Yay!!! By: hewee on 12/20/06 Last night I seen it was faster and said wow how nice but there was also less people so I said oh nothing new. But now the speed is fast and there are a lot more people were it was always so slow and pages are loading fast. Thank you so very much all you Little Elves. By: Punaguy on 12/21/06 I noticed the difference, but I didn't think it would last...but I was wrong!! It's been great, thanks Santa!! I for one appreciate the speed...Rock on!! Aloha~ By: Lyne on 12/21/06 I saw this...and then I saw that there are over 2000 folks on line and so I zipped over to TEST it out on the galleries (my prefs give me FULL SIZE on all images right off) and all I can say is WOWOW! I NEVER got around so fast with this many on line at a time before!! THANK YOU GUYS AND DOLLS!!! It will be cool when the store goes faster too... (just hope still it's search engine can get some medical attention too! ;) Happy Holidays!! By: ladydawg on 12/21/06 Even I noticed the difference and I have cable. Now that's what I call a gift that lasts all year round! By: NekhbetSun on 12/21/06 Thank you !!!!! By: Indoda on 12/21/06 Thanks to those Elves - I noticed the speed increase and hope it'll last. Merry Christmas to all the Renderosity Team and a big thank you for all their hard work. By: X-PaX on 12/21/06 Thanks to Santa and his Elves. Happy christmas time to the whole Renderosity team and to all other members. By: ligt on 12/21/06 oh, thank you, never got anything like this for x-mas, never got anything at all for x-mas, but that is something different. By: Pankaj on 12/21/06 AHHH slow down!!I'm running to mashine's. Now I'm really in trouble. Honestly... Thanks it makes it much easier. By: schonee on 12/21/06 Thank You And Happy Holidays to all. By: robotmonster666 on 12/21/06 Cool! Merry christmas to you guys (and gals of course :) By: ashokscape on 12/21/06 Big thank you, love and Merry Christmas to the proactive team at my favourite place! By: BonBonish on 12/21/06 Thank you! And Happy Holidays! By: Shardz on 12/21/06 Amen! This will be a present that will be used for some time to come! Now if I could only get those elves to fix up my machines! LOL! Great news all around! By: Thelby on 12/22/06 I Noticed quicker render times!!!! ................Oh wait, that's because of my 2 New Dualcores, Hehehehe!!! Thanks Guys, will put in a good word for ya with the bug Guy ;^) By: shadow_dancer on 12/22/06 yehaw finally i can load here without sitting and waiting 10 minutes:) By: Jean-Luc_Ajrarn on 12/22/06 Good. Thank you. :) By: shaigirl on 12/22/06 Very cool! Thank you! By: laztspark on 12/22/06 I had noticed. My DSL works better now. I thank You. By: dpanzee on 12/22/06 I definitely noticed...the pages are loading really fast...thxs bunches. :o) By: kdraper on 12/22/06 Thank you...Thank you....!!! And a Happy Holidays to you all.. By TallPockets: MUCH thanks and appreciated.

TallPockets ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 12:45 AM

HAWKFYR: THANKS MUCH for all your above information! It seems that with the 'new servers' the site speed issue has been resolved. At least, it appears such judging by all the comments made by those above and those who've posted such similar comments since the above date I posted. It seems it wasn't just my computer or ISP peoples all this time after all or for the many others who've so experienced slowness issues prior to this new server installation for the past year or so. It now seems that this most wonderful site is running similar speeds as all the other similar sites are running. Once again, THANKS kindly for your help! My best, TallPockets.

TallPockets ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 12:51 AM

UPDATE from Front Page:

Member Opinions:
By: Melania_Rose on 12/20/06
It is delightfully better! Thank YOU!!!! We NOTICE!!!!

By: Radlafx on 12/20/06
Thanks for the speed update. :o)
What do you mean by"Quad Dual Core"? does that mean there are "FOUR" dual core processors or just 2 two-core processors? (I'm guessing the former).

By: dlfurman on 12/20/06
Can I have the old box? :)

By: Raeven on 12/20/06
Awesome!

By: TwoPynts on 12/20/06
I have noticed a slight increase...and here I though I was imagining things! ;']
Thanks!

By: Webmistres on 12/20/06
Thank you!!!

By: Unicornst on 12/20/06
So that's why I didn't have time to go get me a cup of coffee in between pages loading. grin Awesome job, everyone!

By: TerraDreamer on 12/20/06
I agree, the performance is way better from work now, where I shouldn't be surfing to Rendo from anyway :) From home, it's significantly faster. Thanks, Rendo!

By: rockets on 12/20/06
I don't understand all that, but if the site's faster than YIPEEEE!!! Thanks so much!
Btw, nice looking elf you have there! LOL

By: pdblake on 12/20/06
Unfortunatly he also put the marketplace on the front page.

By: DarkStarRising on 12/20/06
is it faster havent noticed at all!
and erm, why is the store page on the front page now???

By: LillianH on 12/20/06
Momentary situation...just to see if you were all paying attention ;-)

I tell you what...you gotta watch those sneaky little elves!!

Things should be back in place now.

By: gillbrooks on 12/20/06
I noticed it's faster - thank ye :-)

By: CandeeKis on 12/20/06
Very cool!!

By: danob on 12/20/06
Certainly seems quicker to me..Well done

By: ARTWITHIN on 12/20/06
Thank you very much! Have a wonderful holiday!

By: kuroyume0161 on 12/20/06
I have a home for that retired IBM database server if you ever want to give up for adoption - you guys are based in Africa, right? ;)

Site feels much smoother, thank you!

By: Midnite_Designer on 12/20/06
Christmas did come early this year!

By: valouchufy on 12/20/06
Fantastic and thanks ;)

By: fastburn on 12/20/06
A big "Thank You"! The site is so much more enjoyable now that things move a little faster! Really makes surfing the galleries fun again! Thanks and all you working at Rosity have yourselfs a very Merry Christmas!

By: liquidanime on 12/20/06
It has made a difference. Thank you! :)

Happy holidays.

By: Ardiva on 12/20/06
I noticed the difference right off. Thank you very much!

By: yesitis3 on 12/20/06
I have noticed faster loading since Monday. it is an awesome present and will give Renderosity an edge on the competition

By: MRC1 on 12/20/06
We certainly have come along way in the last 30 years or more in computer technology. I remeber NCR 250 which had core memory at 64 kilobites and tubes, and used cards and paper and magnetic tape. Clock speed was under 1 mHz and there was no internet and the modem work at 8600 bauds. Teletypes were used for input of data and printing output. ADM 3 Teminal and 8 inch floppy disks was high tech then. And 5 megabyte hard drive was in the developement stage. It was 5 ft wide and under 50 feet long. Noisey and hot. I am glad we have advance to where we are now. The site really work well with your up grade.

By: ringbearer on 12/20/06
Thank you!! Just what I wanted!

By: MoonGraphics11 on 12/20/06
Awesome!!!!

By: Thorwald on 12/20/06
immediatly could tell something was different THANKS!!!

By: kansas on 12/20/06
Thanks and it makes a difference already.
Merry Christmas to the Renderosity team.

By: phoenixwaller on 12/20/06
Yay!!!

By: hewee on 12/20/06
Last night I seen it was faster and said wow how nice but there was also less people so I said oh nothing new.
But now the speed is fast and there are a lot more people were it was always so slow and pages are loading fast. Thank you so very much all you Little Elves.

By: Punaguy on 12/21/06
I noticed the difference, but I didn't think it would last...but I was wrong!! It's been great, thanks Santa!! I for one appreciate the speed...Rock on!! Aloha~

By: Lyne on 12/21/06
I saw this...and then I saw that there are over 2000 folks on line and so I zipped over to TEST it out on the galleries (my prefs give me FULL SIZE on all images right off) and all I can say is WOWOW! I NEVER got around so fast with this many on line at a time before!! THANK YOU GUYS AND DOLLS!!!

It will be cool when the store goes faster too... (just hope still it's search engine can get some medical attention too! ;)

Happy Holidays!!

By: ladydawg on 12/21/06
Even I noticed the difference and I have cable.

Now that's what I call a gift that lasts all year round!

By: NekhbetSun on 12/21/06

Thank you !!!!!

By: Indoda on 12/21/06
Thanks to those Elves - I noticed the speed increase and hope it'll last.
Merry Christmas to all the Renderosity Team and a big thank you for all their hard work.

By: X-PaX on 12/21/06
Thanks to Santa and his Elves.
Happy christmas time to the whole Renderosity team and to all other members.

By: ligt on 12/21/06
oh, thank you, never got anything like this for x-mas, never got anything at all for x-mas, but that is something different.

By: Pankaj on 12/21/06
AHHH slow down!!I'm running to mashine's.
Now I'm really in trouble.
Honestly... Thanks it makes it much easier.

By: schonee on 12/21/06
Thank You And Happy Holidays to all.

By: robotmonster666 on 12/21/06
Cool! Merry christmas to you guys (and gals of course :)

By: ashokscape on 12/21/06
Big thank you, love and Merry Christmas to the proactive team at my favourite place!

By: BonBonish on 12/21/06
Thank you! And Happy Holidays!

By: Shardz on 12/21/06
Amen! This will be a present that will be used for some time to come! Now if I could only get those elves to fix up my machines! LOL! Great news all around!

By: Thelby on 12/22/06
I Noticed quicker render times!!!! ................Oh wait, that's because of my 2 New Dualcores, Hehehehe!!! Thanks Guys, will put in a good word for ya with the bug Guy ;^)

By: shadow_dancer on 12/22/06
yehaw finally i can load here without sitting and waiting 10 minutes:)

By: Jean-Luc_Ajrarn on 12/22/06
Good. Thank you. :)

By: shaigirl on 12/22/06
Very cool! Thank you!

By: laztspark on 12/22/06
I had noticed. My DSL works better now.
I thank You.

By: dpanzee on 12/22/06
I definitely noticed...the pages are loading really fast...thxs bunches. :o)

By: kdraper on 12/22/06
Thank you...Thank you....!!!

And a Happy Holidays to you all..

By: TallPockets on 12/23/06 [Delete]
MUCH thanks and appreciated! T.P.

By: Quidnunc on 12/23/06
Great works. The speed (or lack of) was very noticeable compared to other sites. The improvement is most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

By: DennisReed on 12/23/06
The site speed is most noticable! YEAH!

By: JLyons on 12/23/06
Much faster and much appreciated!!

By: imagemaker on 12/23/06
The perfect gift for all thanks!
Happy and Safe Holiday to everyone!

By: drawbridgep on 12/23/06
And here's me thinking it was my shiny new 10mbps connection.

By: PsychaDurmont on 12/23/06
I certainly noticed! Wonderful news! Very appreciated!

By: maraich on 12/24/06
The upgrade has made a vast improvement. Thanks a bunch!

By: GARNETROSE on 12/24/06
yep I noticed :-]) thankyou

By: Jennyfnf on 12/24/06
Thankyou kindly. Just what we wanted for Christmas:-))

By: Gini on 12/24/06
Thats just great. Seasons Greetings to 'Rosity staff !

By: romanceworks on 12/24/06
Yes, much faster! Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

By: Newbie_Renderer on 12/24/06
Now that you mention it, I have'nt noticed any hang ups as of late!
Good work elves!!!

By: paradigm on 12/24/06
OMG the speed! it's dazzling!
Thank you so much darling elves!
Now hurry up and help santa with those last minute presents! quick! quick!

By: 4udreamcatcher on 12/24/06
Way to go!!! Merry Christmas ;)

By: arat on 12/25/06
At last!!! THX!!!!

By: GraphicMaster on 12/25/06
Great! now I don't have to shave while I wait for a page to load!

By: lemur01 on 12/26/06
Much better. Damn, i'll have to find something else to moan about now... it's always the same, you get a good moan going, climb up on ya hobby horse... and then they go and fix it.

By: Lucca on 12/26/06
Thank you! Renderosity does load much more easily now. I hope you had very merry Christmas! :D

By: A_Sunbeam on 12/26/06
Noticed the increase in loading speed today.
Thanks!

By: raspberry33 on 1/1/07
I was whining to a friend just this morning about how slow your site was, and how long it had been since I felt like slogging through to see some new stuff. Got on a little bit ago and was amazed at the improvement! Then I saw this article - aha! I'll be back a lot more often now! You've restored my faith. 2nd-best present I got this year! (Sorry - diamonds from my man beat you out.)

By: beowlar on 1/3/07
Thank you! It is such a pleasure now to navigate your site.

Again, MUCH thanks! TallPockets.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.