Fri, Oct 4, 5:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Someone has Victoria for sale on eBay (LEGAL???)

tbsro ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 11:12 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:42 PM

Attached Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1234116996

I don't know if this is legal or not, so if not, someone from Daz might want to check it out! I'm thinking Daz wouldn't like this too much because the guy probably has Vicky and Mike on his hard drive already. He says the CD's are BRAND NEW and SEALED from the manufacturer, but I got my Vicky and Mike CD's they weren't sealed! Is he lying? If it IS legal, then someone has the opportunity to get Vicky and perhaps Michael REALLY cheap. Bidding for the Victoria CD (with the clothes and the hair) is at $10.50 right now. Ends in a day and a half. I already bought them from Daz last week, but if it is legal to sell these CD's someone could get them cheap. They state if bidding goes over $70 they will throw in the Michael CD too. Here is the URL in case Daz wants to check it out and see if they think it's legal or not. I don't think it is, so I wouldn't bid until someone from Daz okay's it. But if Daz says it's okay, someone might get Vicky really cheap :) I just thought Daz should know in case this is a big no-no.

JeffH ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2001 at 11:47 PM

Send this link to DAZ..

tbsro ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 12:04 AM

Thanks, Jeff. I'm sending the e-mail right now to all three addresses listed on their site. Hope someone gets it before the auction ends.

whoopdat ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 2:50 AM

How interesting. Makes you wonder a bit...but what about that $30 "processing" charge?

ronmolina ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 5:08 AM

Looks suspicious to me. Ron

3-DArena ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 7:36 AM

I think he's trying to make up his cost somewhat with the $30.00 charge. But this brings up something I was wondering about. I bought both my Bryce 3D and my Poser at Ebay. Bryce was an older version (works for me), Poser is Poser4. I paid $80.00 for the Bryce and $150.00 for the Poser. Yes at times I'm naive, but hey I have boxes of software that I've bought that I ended up not liking/wanting/using. So what to do with them? Currently they are sitting in a drawer in my office. Anyhow it wasn't until they arrived that I realized that the disc didn't have to be installed to run the programs and that the person I bought them from could still have them on their system. Basically I prefer to think of most people as honest.... (duh!) Now though I wonder how many people are less than honest.... sad.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

Dragontales ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 10:08 AM

Personally, I don't see that reselling the programs or whatever is illegal. After all, you bought the cd, it is yours, and then you can, if you want, sell it. I would say that as long as the disk is the original, then nothing can be done about it. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this is the case. Sure, he may have another copy of his own that he made, but he can't sell those, and basically this can only be a one time thing for him. I've seen old software at yard sales, flea-markets, you name it. Selling it on ebay is no different. Hell, sometimes reselling old software is the only way to ever get a hold of something that may no longer be produced. Dragontales

3-DArena ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 10:17 AM

But for programs like Poser, it could cause potential problems in upgrading. I bought the disk legally, but if the seller didn't remove their version from their system then I can't upgrade the patches, because they may have done so. Of course I didn't think that it would need to be repaired not long after I bought it. (there is another Poser for sale there too, bundled with photoshop). So in essence if they are operating a poser on their system they are doing it illegally, because they sold it to me. But they had it longer than me, so they may have patched it, so then I guess I can't. Essentially I will never ever buy software that way again, unless it is some product no longer being produced, shouldn't need updates then...

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

twillis ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 10:52 AM

FWIW, I've bought quite a few software packages on eBay, but only stuff that's still sealed in the original box. I've bought Poser, Carrara and Photoshop that way, and was able to register them (at least, I went through the registration process, and didn't get any indication that the registration was invalid). I also tend to only buy software from people with a lot of positive reviews. So far I haven't been burned, but there's always tomorrow. Also, I keep out an eye for warez, and let eBay know about it (by sending the auction link to safeharbor@ebay.com). Ebay is very good about following up on complaints. You get a canned response when you send the message, and then you get a more personal response a day or so later, explaining what sort of action they took. As always, buyer beware.

tbsro ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 10:58 AM

I feel bad for Daz, but you're probably right. There probably is nothing they can do. His last auction said, "And if you don't need the CD anymore, you can sell it on eBay and get your money back!" He actually used those words. It's like he was saying, "Once you install the models, you won't need the CDs anymore and you can sell them and get the models for free!" I'm just glad I have the peace of mind that I got my models right from the source, and if I happen to need support for the models I know I can call Daz with my order number and get it legally. That's the big problem with buying used software (or pirating for that matter). You don't get any tech support. And sometimes that can be invaluable. Sometimes the tech support itself can be worth the cost of the software if you're in a pinch. It's a shame that Daz doesn't have a Terms of Use policy on their site that specifically disallows the sale of models and CD's. If there is one, I couldn't find it. There is no FAQ or anything on their site. Oh well, Daz has the information now, and the ball is in their court. If there is anything they can do, they are armed to do it. If not, well... someone is getting Vicky pretty cheap, it looks like. Bidding is at $36.00 with only 1 day and 2 hours left in the auction.

tbsro ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 11:06 AM

I've reported CDR versions of Poser to Curious Labs several times. They are probably getting tired of hearing from me. LOL I always e-mail them and let them know if I suspect an auction might not be legal. For example, there is a copy of Poser 4 up for sale right now that states there is no manual or box with the CD, so I e-mailed CL and let them know that it MIGHT not be legit. I leave it up to them to find out for sure. Once I found a guy specifically advertising "Full version of Poser 4 on CDR". I said, "YIPE!" and contacted CL right away and the auction was closed very quickly.

genny ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 11:15 AM

I buy a lot of my software from the auctions. In fact my Poser3 came from there, and it was new, in the box, with the registration code and everything. I know it was legit because when I wanted to purchase the upgrade at "CuriousLabs" they asked for the registration code, validated it, and sent me the upgrade. Of course, I have bought some bootleg stuff too, unknowingly, but I have learned to read the "ad" very carefully. If it says.....new.....archived....cd....or something like that, and they don't come with the manual, chances are they aren't legit, so avoid those. But there are honest people out there, who bought the software, didn't like it, uninstalled it, and just want to sell it to recover some of the cost. I for one, NEED THE MANUALS, and occasional Tech Help, so if I like the software, I will buy the legitament copy, or as in the case of my "Poser3" get the upgrade. Since I have learned what to look for when buying from the auctions, I have been lucky as of late, and I am sure all the software I have purchased is "Legal". This guy on E-Bay, may be an honest person, just recovering some of his costs, for what-ever reason, and I don't think what he is doing is illegal in anyway, if, it is a legitament copy, and he just doesn't want it anymore. Genny

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 12:21 PM

I haven't been going to ebay, got tired of getting emails that basically offered to get me anything I wanted on cdr. Sent the emails to ebay staff and those would disappear, then another one by the same person would be up that afternoon. I report it when I see it, but I get tired of the lack of response you get when you report warez. I'm not asking for a pat on the back for finding it, just a "we're looking into it" would be nice...to show me that it's worth my time to kick it to the right folks. 8^) Marque

twillis ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 12:32 PM

I've always gotten excellent feedback when I've sent warez/bootleg notices to safeharbor@ebay.com. Dunno about other addresses.

bjbrown ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 3:11 PM

The eBay sale is clearly illegal. The user agreement that comes with the DAZ's CDs states that the purchaser has a non-transferable license to use the models. That means you may not re-sell or give away the CD under any circumstances, even if you have deleted the model from your hard drive.

genny ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 4:16 PM

The last post is very interesting........I really and truly didn't know that. The "Poser3" I bought on an auction was by "Metacreations" and sold way after the company was out of business......did that make the sale illegle also? I suppose it doesn't matter now, I don't even have it installed anymore because I use "Poser4" exclusively now, I was just curious. Genny

bjbrown ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 4:25 PM

It depends on the licensing agreement. That DAZ's Victoria and Michael models are sold with a non-transferable license is actually in the agreement on which you must click to install the software. I checked them after reading the post. Whether or not it applies to other software depends on the licensing agreements with which they come.

genny ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 4:40 PM

Thanks bjbrown, I hate to admit it, but usually, I am so excited about trying out my new software, that I just "Skim" thru the licensing agreement. From now on.....I will pay better attention....I promise. (: Genny

tbsro ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2001 at 6:50 PM

Well, apparently either Daz does not care about the auction, or they haven't received my e-mail yet, or eBay is taking a long time to cancel the auction. Because the auction is still up and has 18 hours left. I must admit, I did not thoroughly read the license agreement either, I skimmed. I'm glad you pointed that out, because that would make this an illegal sale, apparently.

kupa ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 9:29 AM

First, thank you for the notices about auctions on eBay. We generally search every other day for these auctions and issue a standard request to eBay that these items violate our copyright, and before the auction is complete, usually within a day of receiving the notice, the item is pulled out of the auction. Your emails are followed up on. This is the case with another CD dupe of Poser 4 for sale on eBay. I just received email verification from eBay that it was pulled. Thanks for the support, Steve Cooper

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.