Mon, Sep 23, 1:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 12:42 pm)

Subject: Want critiques?

Tissaia ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 5:17 PM

Hi guys!
I would like to join as well cause I'm dying to hear honest critique and helpful tips about my works, so I could improve. So please, count me in? :)

I have one suggestion though... I don't think adding members to fav artists is good idea:

1. if club grows we'll be getting zillions of ebots
  2. we would have to check this thread constantly and keep on track on new members
  3. we would probably hijack art charts :tt2:

Maybe it would be a better idea to leave a visible sign of membership in our galleries? A logo or a tag [Critique Group] in a title or in artist's comment?

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 5:46 PM

berlyd noted this issue and thought that posting to this thread when you want something critiqued would be better.  karen1573 suggested that this be a personal choice and that people could do either.  personally, i find the zillions of posts a lot less manageable than email. i can actually do what i want with my email; i can't do anything to the thread.  and we're actually just posting to it, as i expected, so i know i'd like to have the critiques and general conversation separate. 

but that's just my vote.

the logo wouldn't really work unless we really checked the galleries every few minutes; otherwise the posts would get very quickly buried and go unseen (except for the few who are already popular).

personally, i'll just check once a day in the evening to see if people have been added or have left. 

there may not be too many people who join if the first post makes it clear that this isn't going to make you popular- this is for real analysis, not simple ego stroking.  i'm not saying it doesn't now, just that i don't think most people want more than a good pat on the back (which is great, just not what this is about).  the only way i think this will attract tons of people is if people think it's a way to become popular and get lots of fans.

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 6:05 PM

Note: You don't need to comment every picture that I do, if you find something to comment then do it, if you find nothing you don't need to comment.

Stupidity also evolves!

Tissaia ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 6:07 PM · edited Wed, 21 March 2007 at 6:12 PM

Quote -
the logo wouldn't really work unless we really checked the galleries every few minutes;

:)
I think browsing galleries they way you do normaly is enough. And when finding one of members pic - posting a suggestion if you have one.
I don't think we have to comment every pic in club (especially if it will get bigger) - it would attract those who seek popularity not improvement.

For the same reason I think adding members to fav artists isn't a good idea...

EDIT: Please guys, do not add me to your fav artists list because  of this club (couple of people already did it ) ? Thanks 😄

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:06 PM

There doesn't need to be any system to it - if you don't want a bunch of ebots, simply turn off notification from your edit favorites page:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php?favorite_artists
And review as often as you feel the urge, from the same page (bookmark it)

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:09 PM · edited Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:12 PM

Quote - Hmmm I guess for one to be included one has to actually post images in their gallery from time to time.

It is a bit mystifying why some people who've not uploaded any images in many months are asking for critiques.  😕
edit - at least one is completely empty 😕

My Freebies

Tissaia ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:21 PM

Quote -
There doesn't need to be any system to it - if you don't want a bunch of ebots, simply turn off notification from your edit favorites page

To be honest... I really don't like the idea of adding members to fav list :blushing:
And if I turn of ebots... why to add members to this list? :P
I'm afraid that this adding to favs can turn this cool project into another clique in a blink of an eye ...

I really think that a simple tag {Critique Club} in notes, under a pic could be enough. It would show  the rest  that we're part of a club, and we seek of honest commments.

Quote - It is a bit mystifying why some people who've not uploaded any images in many months are asking for critiques. 

Maybe they want to post now, when they can count on some honest opinions? 😉

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:42 PM

I think this is a great idea!

Sign me up!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 8:50 PM

Tissaia  - i just wanted to say that i've added you to my favorites not because of this thread, but because you're truly one of my favorite artists and an inspiration.  i just didn't know you were here too.  i've already marked you at artzone and runtimedna.

i totally understand your concerns.  i just personally don't get much feedback now (though i really appreciate what feedback i do get), and i fear that if i just had a tag in my comments, i wouldn't get any more feedback than i do now.  i figure if i get out there and critique and try my best to give good, thorough reviews, i might get some in return.  and it's just much easier for me to do that by following artists than following a thread.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 9:33 PM

I'm in :biggrin:

But fair warning, I'm slow as the itch in posting renders. I consider myself lucky if one out of 10 or 20 makes it to final render, much less gets saved out!

LaVonne ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 9:48 PM · edited Wed, 21 March 2007 at 9:49 PM

I would like to be a member of the Critique Group!!

Thanks!

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 9:49 PM

I prefer the fav list because I simply do not have time to scan the galleries. I usually try, but I
usually miss alot. If I'm going to comment, I NEED to know when a group image is posted.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:02 PM

I'm sorry, I really need to put people on my Favorites .
 Between my son and work, and RL I don't have tons of time to browse the galleries like I should.  But I always can clear my emails quickly :)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:06 PM

SoCalRoberta - i feel the same way.  oh, and it takes me forever to make a finished picture.  i save them, but i still put a bunch in the no-go, maybe later pile.

Tissaia ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:13 PM

Quote - i figure if i get out there and critique and try my best to give good, thorough reviews, i might get some in return.  and it's just much easier for me to do that by following artists than following a thread.

Quote - I prefer the fav list because I simply do not have time to scan the galleries.

Ok... I can see I'm a minority here...
Let me play an advocatus diaboli for a little more though :P

I understand the need of knowing when a member posts an image. How about a sticky thread where we would post ONLY info that we've just uploaded new pic (a link)? We would have to  bookmark it to get ebots?
What do you think guys?

If not... well... I still really want to be part of this if you guys won't fav me and don't mind that I won't fav you :😄
I browse galleries every day, so I'll find you by tags or by other members comments anyway.

Quote - Tissaia  - i just wanted to say that i've added you to my favorites not because of this thread

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:23 PM

I don't mind, but you'll need some type of tag on your pic title, or perhaps the thumb, so that
I'll notice it when I do my usual rush through the galleries. :)

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:25 PM · edited Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:30 PM

Tissaia, no problem. I'll just click on the link to your homepage under your name and look at your gallery from there. 
I just can't do that for a lot of people. It would use up all my available time just to find some of them :)

Oh, how nice! I've started getting the e-bots notifying me who  favorited me from this group. I'm putting them all in a folder named CRITIQUE CLUB so that I can keep track of who is a member.

Tissaia ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:49 PM

Quote - Tissaia, no problem. I'll just click on the link to your homepage under your name and look at your gallery from there. 

Thanks guys. :biggrin:
But you don't have to check my homepage to see if I uploaded new pic. You're right that...well... it would be kind of waste of the time :tongue2:
I want other members to browse galleries like they always did. If they find my pic, great. If not... it's ok too!
All I want is that people know they can critique my pics freely. It would be great if memebers could leave visible tag under their pics or before titles if it's not a problem? Thanks 😄

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:57 PM

I just got back from the doctors' office and I'll be setting up email filters tomorrow to put the critique group members in their own folder.  I've written down all of the names I've added so I can just use the same filter for everyone.

I'd much rather get a gazillion bots than try to remember who I added ... and, Tissaia, I added you before I saw your post asking people not to ... :)

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 12:29 AM

I'll join. THings I am trying to learn are: Atmospheric lighting; making mats for characters, lighting especially. I have real problems getting lights into interiors and having them work right.

Bea ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 4:54 AM

I am interested. It would be nice to get some help in producing a good image :)

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:14 AM

Wow! I feel so popular!  With all of the additional Renderosity ebots I've had to create some message rules to manage my inbox. I'm not used to seeing "You have 31 new messages"  hehe

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:16 AM

OK Tissaia, I unfavourited you as requested.
However please be aware that as the majority are using the Fave function to track the group, this may result in you receiving less critiques than others.

I am keeping the first post in this thread updated with new members so you may find it easier to check members' galleries from that post, as each member has a gallery link next to their name.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:17 AM

**@Karen
**The more I think about this and the more that are joining, I think a new gallery option would be the best bet with a clear warning that you only post images to it if you actually want constructive critique of your images, if you still want the fluffy nonsense then post in the usual galleries.
If you did this then it would be open to artist from all fields what ever software they use!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:20 AM

It might work out that way, Gwyn, but let's see how this goes at first.

"you are terrifying

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:35 AM

Karen,
Kawecki and Cobaltdream don't seem to have been added to the Page 1 list.  Thanks.

My Freebies

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:51 AM

Can't add Archdruid to my list of favourites 'cos he doesn't have a gallery, is there another way other than the way I'm doing it which is to look at an image and then clicking the "add artist" button??

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 7:44 AM

Yes Gwyn, if you click on the "Gallery" next to the member's name in the page 1 list, you should get some options at the top of the page which include "Add [membername] to your favorite artists".

pjz, thanks, I will get them added now.

"you are terrifying

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 8:13 AM

Quote - Yes Gwyn, if you click on the "Gallery" next to the member's name in the page 1 list, you should get some options at the top of the page which include "Add [membername] to your favorite artists".

You lost me there.  What is this "page 1 list"?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

zollster ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 8:30 AM

click on page 1at either the bottom or top of this thread....in karens 1ts post she put everyones name that in the group

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 8:38 AM

ok, got it, Ta!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Tissaia ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 10:37 AM

Quote - OK Tissaia, I unfavourited you as requested.
However please be aware that as the majority are using the Fave function to track the group, this may result in you receiving less critiques than others.

I'm aware of that, thanks Karen 😄

See you folks in galleries!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 2:13 PM

IMVHO it's gonna be interesting to see how this works.: how the criticism is meted out, and how it's received. my hope is that it will raise the average quality of work in the poser gallery by a noticeable level.

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 2:42 PM

I've been sitting here wondering why I hadn't gotten any ebots yet... Seems I had it set to an email addy I haven't used in years ROFL! Got that fixed so I'll actually get them now (hopefully) :P

Look forward to seeing everyones new stuff! :D

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 2:52 PM

just a mention: i'll be trying to critique older images (not just new ones), so please let me know (here or pm or email) if you wouldn't like that.  and please feel free to critique anything in my gallery.  thanks!

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 3:30 PM

so what do I do? Just say "Number One, Make it so."

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 3:40 PM · edited Thu, 22 March 2007 at 3:40 PM

Hi Karen,

You can count me in. I'm always open to critique. But I don't have much time to make some new work the next weeks.

Best Regards,

Bopperthijs

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 3:44 PM

Thixen and Bopperthijs, got you added :-)

"you are terrifying

Bobasaur ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 4:02 PM

One observation... I do make suggestions or critique things on occasion when they're posted in threads in the forum. I have found that for some images the best way to get across what you mean is to actually post another image - an example or something with arrows on it to identify specific things. I've even been known to take the image that was being critiqued and postwork it to depict what I meant - purely to clarify my meaning and only when interacting directly with the artist who's work I was critiquing. Sometimes that's the only way an idea can be communicated effectively since we often use words differently. That can't be done in the galleries. If anyone feels that's necessary you might consider IMing each other and arranging to take a specific discussion into the forum. Sometimes an altered picture - with permission - is worth a thousand words. p.s. Karen, you do not need to add me to this group yet. I only have a couple of pictures that are very old and I rarely do stills. And unfortunately we still can't comment in the animation gallery.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Lizn ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 4:05 PM

I haven't been active in the forum or anything...can I join anyway? If so, sign me up.
This is just what I am looking for, here a Renderosity.

LaVonne ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 4:58 PM

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea and I have already had several VERY HELPFUL suggestions and I am considering re-doing the picture and posting the results of what I have learned! 

Let's keep this up and going!

One things I have learned from this is it is a bit difficult to critique! Some of the artwork is very good it's just not my "style" but that doesn't mean it isn't well done! That's the tough part! Also, if a piece is really impressive to me, I am going to say so. That doesn't mean I am patronizing or "sucking up", it means I truly think the pice is impressive! :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:07 PM · edited Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:09 PM

Part of good critique is recognizing things that work well along with pointing out things that don't.  It's OK to say "flawless, and I really like this" the way I just commented on BAR-CODE's latest.

I don't think I'm very comfortable prefacing comments with some big prominent "Critique Club" tag as some people are doing, it seems too cliquish to me.  Can't advise anyone else but I don't think I'll be doing that myself.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:11 PM · edited Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:20 PM

Thixen:

Quote - so what do I do? Just say "Number One, Make it so."

Pretty much! I think this critiquing business should be as open as possible, to everyone, or it's just another form of gaming the gallery.

My Freebies

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:26 PM

Lizn, I'm adding you now.

Bobasaur, I'm a-hearing you on FM. (and on the animation comments too. I also desperately want this for the freestuff section!)

"you are terrifying

Tissaia ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:52 PM

Quote - I don't think I'm very comfortable prefacing comments with some big prominent "Critique Club" tag as some people are doing, it seems too cliquish to me. 

I haven't realised it may look cliquish :unsure:
I used this tag, I don't know... I was kind of scared of being eaten alive, or called a troll. It's my naive "safety-badge-just-in-case" ...

I don't know what those who already received comments think, but as far as I can see the idea of cg works pretty well. Can't wait to have something to show!

zollster ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 5:59 PM

i started out by puttin crit group at the start of my comment...but then my fingers got bore of typing it :D

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 6:12 PM

I got a comment on my recent upload where someone commented (this is just the general idea of what they said) How did you attract all of these critics?

So I don't think its necessary to have a 'Critique Group' tag on it but it doesn't really bother me either way and most people will see us as different anyways. As I see it, we'll know if you're from the group based on what you have to say but Tissaia I can see where you'd feel stuck... I think cg is perfectly fine and doesn't seem at all 'cliquish'

rik10463 ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 6:37 PM

damn! I'm always a day late! I just pulled my gallery down because for two years I had been trying to get constructive criticism and my work barely got looked at. I guess I wasn't showing enough flesh in them. It seems there have only been 2 ways to get viewed and/or critiqued in the galleries (and most people don't critique, they "comment" with all the woderful coddling one could ask for) 1.) nudes. It's gotten to be close to being a porn site with all the nudity here. Not that I'm a prude by any means, but 80% of the nudes here are just nude for being nude and they are the #1 viewed and commented on. I once saw a render in the gallery that I thought had to be a joke. the lighing was bad, the pose was bad to the point where the limits were off and the models arm was "corkscrewed" to get the had in the position they wanted it. The hair was not for that character and they didn't even try to get it to fit, but... it was nude and had breasts that would give Dolly a back ache just looking at them. Yet, tht artist had like 20+ glowing comments how amazing the piece was and how superb the lighing and pose were. 2.) be in the "In Crowd." I've noticed that many artists here are always commented on by the same 20 or 30 artists. All patting each other on the back. And I'm not saying that alot of the work doesn't deserve it. I've seen many many fine artists here, my point is that they all seem to have their own support group and if you're not part of that group then you don't exist. I wish this had been around before I had decided to delete my gallery. I had started posting here originally when I first started using Poser. The whole 3d artwork world was brand new to me and I thought that by posting and getting some critisism and perhaps pointers, then I could learn the program easier. But alas in 2 years I have gotten 1 cunstructive commen, which made a world of difference to the work, and a very small handful of comments which I am grateful for those who took the time for that. Oh well... enough rambling. There's artwork to be made. ;) Perhaps one day I'll post again. R

Anniebel ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 6:58 PM

Count me in please..

I would like to improve in all areas.

While, I have been around for a couple of years, I am a complete novice at some things, because I have been lazy & used premade stuff EG. Lighting, so if you leave comments, tips on how to improve would be appreciated.

For those who don't like it, I do do a lot of postwork, because I do like it 😉

Also, as Kawecki said, "You don't need to comment every picture that I do, if you find something to comment then do it, if you find nothing you don't need to comment"

Thanks

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 7:06 PM

Here is a kind of radical idea, but perhaps it can work. Would it be possible to create a "dummy" Critique Group account which serves as a single point where we can have links (via the favorite artist mechanism) to all the members. That way we won't be inflating each others favorite artist account, but there will still be an easy way of linking in.

Long term, it might make sense to create "artist circles", where you join a circle, and are notified when any other members post art.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.