Tue, Sep 24, 7:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 6:31 am)

Subject: V3 or V4?

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 7:39 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 7:26 AM

Besides the sheer amount of content available for V3 over V4, what are the differences between the two?  I assume V4 is more advanced or something?  I have to get one in order to begin my projects but cannot decide.. HELP!

Stefi xxx

patorak ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:17 AM

Hi Stefi,

I recommend V4.  V4's face has a better edgelooped mesh topology than V3,  thus less unwanted distortion when you apply morphs.  Less unwanted mesh distortion equals less postwork time.

Cheers,
Patorak

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:20 AM

Hmmmm Patorak

Thats the kinda info I was looking for many thanks

Stefi xxx

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:30 AM

V4's basic body shape looks more feminine in my eyes than V3's basic body shape - she's built like a linebacker. V4 has a more defined waistline and rounder hips.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:35 AM

Someone complained V4 had a worse less feminine face. I think that was the complaint.

Rorsdors ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:42 AM

V4 full is very resource heavy buts that’s because the modelling is so much more rounded and smooth, but over all I’m not gone on her as a character, I think v3 an Aiko still have it , I might change my mind but she is slow getting her posed, funnily enough v2 is the best for posing and rendering and I still think looks alright. That said V4 base is only 1.99 in the platinum club so you can hardly complain.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:44 AM · edited Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:45 AM

I am completely new to Poser, but 'basic' body shape means just that, with morphs, ad-ons etc etc how much of the basic remains anyway?  God i have loads to learn !!!!  Does anyone do much with the basic Vicky?

Stefi xxx

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 9:17 AM

You should grab them all I believe they are all still free. I like V4 and there are lots of items out there with more to come I'm sure, but V3 has tons both free and in the markets. I can't say which I like best haven't used V4 enough yet. If you belong to the platinum club you can find stuff for both at $1.99 per item. Good for someone who is just starting out. You can get ten items for the price of one in a lot of cases. Have fun with the new addiction! Poserworld is another place to check out. If you are on a tight budget I would probably go with V3 for the morphs and just use V4 without or look for free morphs and characters for her.
Marque

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 9:44 AM

I like V4 as well. I have both and I am beginning to like to use V4 of V3. I really get tired of injecting and removing morphs where as V4 you do not have to do that. IF you're into all the INJ/REM stuff then more power to you. As with any new character V4's content will grown with time. V3's content didn't grow over night as some might have you believe. V3 has been around a while as V4 only a few months.

I like V4's overall shape as to V3's linebacker/Longshoremen build. I find V4's face to have more expression she can look very sweet where there are time V3 can look damn rough. I guess it's all to the taste of the artist. Just as we are attracted to certain attributes of people so are V3 and V4 to artists. Either way both are superior characters in my honest opinion.

My Facebook Page

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 9:49 AM

Hmmmmmm yeah thanks guys.. i do tend to always go for the latest versions and this will probably be the same with Vicky.

Any other models out there besides Vicky that are worth considering?

Stefi xxx

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 9:55 AM

I don't consider any of these characters 'free' Sure the base is but you're limited in what you can do. Like my situation for instance, If I buy other artists packages sure I can utilize the free base but if those packages require the base and INJ morphs that come with the V3 head and body morph, that would run me $30. I personally want to do my own characters and the 'free' V3 base won't  allow me to do that. Basically free isn't free. That's a misconception that many newbies will soon come to find out. I did...the hard way. After buying an artist package that required me to spend the additional $30 dollars for the head/body morph.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 10:02 AM

Hey SSAfam1.. no worries, i am under no illusions and never really expect anything for nothing. That way we cant be dissapointed.  My aim is to make the most of what I do buy.. not buy merely for the sake of it.  Maybe i will make V4 more feminine huh?  :)

stormchaser ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 10:23 AM

drkfetyshnyghts - I'm one of those people who still prefer V3 over V4. This is not to say that V3 is any better, as she isn't, I just find I can personally do more with her as I have all the morphs for her,  the full head & body which include all the muscle groups which V4 doesn't have. This means I can really define her shape. I also have the V3 Next Generation 2 which gives me even more versatility. V4 does pose very well & has a good overall look to her, I just find for my own characters I prefer the morphs I have with V3. To be honest, if you have the money, buy both as depending on the type of character you wish to create one will be better than the other.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 10:28 AM

"My aim is to make the most of what I do buy.. not buy merely for the sake of it"
drkfetyshnyghts - Oh, I only wish I had had more sense in my early days of using Poser, I can't tell you how much I've spent on items that I've never really used.
A word of warning, Poser can be very addictive, keep an eye on your bank balance!LOL!!
I know alot of people here know about this!

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 10:31 AM

hehe Stormchaser, i hear ya hun..... :)

Stefi xxx

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 12:46 PM

One character that is definitely worth looking into is Glamorous Jessi by Jim Burton, on Content Paradise. She's an adaptation of P6 Jessi, much more than just a morph. The bones have been improved, Jessi's unnaturally big hands and feet have been changed to a more normal size, she bends very well.
$4.95 isn't too much for such a figure IMO. 
When it comes to addons however, there isn't much. Not in the way of clothes, not in the way of textures. 
My next freebie will be for Glamorous Jessi.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

ruana ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 2:46 AM

since i started working with V4 i cant seem to go back to V3! V4 just has a way better body shape to her, and the morphs in my opinion are way better that V3. After a full body morph on V3 it always looks a bit rough, like it still needs something, in V4 simply doing something with one morph you get something great! She is much more 'real' to me than V3.

the content for her is growing slowly and there are lots of great things out there for her already.
i wont go back to V3 easily.

i would suggest investing in V4.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 3:26 AM

drkfetyshnyghts

ya name drkfetyshnyghts reads like a real long Reg # Code.

V3,M3,A3 are all the exact same mesh "called the unimesh" just tweaked differently.

V3,V4 are DAZ Meshes.

The newer the product the better but the newer the more $$$ You can spend alot of $$$.in 3D.

DAZ uses real high polycount meshes and venders make huge textures.

Posetta poly count is not even close to the unimesh.

If ya doing a game project none of the meshes would do.

Don't know if ya using PC or Mac.

3D you need a killer PC or Mac.

and real killer 3D Card.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

or you will just crash alot and never get anything done.

Poser is about the most unstable 3D app anyways.

The larger the scene the more unstable it becomes.

For huge scenes people use other apps like Vue or main 3D Apps like C4D.

You never stop learning in 3D ever I've been doing this since 98 and still only know a peace of 22/7th of it all.

Just have fun with it don't take it seriously and don't even bother trying to learn it all in a week.

We learn as we go but none of us really knows what where doing were just 3D characters  trapped in the so called real world. ;)

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

MarkXray ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 3:34 AM

Hi drkfetyshnyghts, I'm a novice Poser too and I've only spent a few hours playing with Vicky 3 so far.

I can certainly agree that Poser is an amazing time sink, had to force myself to get some sleep at 3am this morning! Now I know why so many people on these boards complain of sleep deprivation.

I thought I'd ask here since the subject's come up and it will save opening a new thread. If you have both V3 and V4 do you need them in separate runtimes?

I've been toying with getting V4 once my wallet recovers from the Poser spending spree I had at the weekend. :D 

Sorry for the thread hijack.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 6:22 AM

LOLOLOL Rorr.... its kind of supposed to be Dark Fetish Nights...  to inspire mystery and imagination !!! Has it not worked? :)

All of your points taken.  I am really only, at this point going to 'dabble' in 3D with Poser 7 on a MacBook Core 2 Duo.. 2 gig ram... which is being delivered to me next week so I have yet to install.  If I like it and want to get into more complex stuff and scenes, then I will see about getting a bigger spec Mac. I do have 20" Flat Panel Display to hook this machine up to so it should be ok on the eyes.

Thanks again, all comments and advice gratefully received :)

Stefi xxx

Quote - drkfetyshnyghts

ya name drkfetyshnyghts reads like a real long Reg # Code.

V3,M3,A3 are all the exact same mesh "called the unimesh" just tweaked differently.

V3,V4 are DAZ Meshes.

The newer the product the better but the newer the more $$$ You can spend alot of $$$.in 3D.

DAZ uses real high polycount meshes and venders make huge textures.

Posetta poly count is not even close to the unimesh.

If ya doing a game project none of the meshes would do.

Don't know if ya using PC or Mac.

3D you need a killer PC or Mac.

and real killer 3D Card.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

or you will just crash alot and never get anything done.

Poser is about the most unstable 3D app anyways.

The larger the scene the more unstable it becomes.

For huge scenes people use other apps like Vue or main 3D Apps like C4D.

You never stop learning in 3D ever I've been doing this since 98 and still only know a peace of 22/7th of it all.

Just have fun with it don't take it seriously and don't even bother trying to learn it all in a week.

We learn as we go but none of us really knows what where doing were just 3D characters  trapped in the so called real world. ;)

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 6:26 AM

Hi Mark

Fact is I have yet to install my copy of Poser 7 until my new macbook comes next week. Soooo, talking runtimes with me is all double dutch right at this moment in time. Although I did read that you shouldnt load everything into a single run time or you will never find anything when you want it. Sorry.. cant be more help on that one :(

Well i have time on my hands for extended periods.. so wanted t invest this time wisley.. like learning Poser 7.... and thats what i intend to do, whatever it takes.

Keep in touch maybe we can compare notes at some point.

Stefi xxx

Quote - Hi drkfetyshnyghts, I'm a novice Poser too and I've only spent a few hours playing with Vicky 3 so far.

I can certainly agree that Poser is an amazing time sink, had to force myself to get some sleep at 3am this morning! Now I know why so many people on these boards complain of sleep deprivation.

I thought I'd ask here since the subject's come up and it will save opening a new thread. If you have both V3 and V4 do you need them in separate runtimes?

I've been toying with getting V4 once my wallet recovers from the Poser spending spree I had at the weekend. :D 

Sorry for the thread hijack.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:34 AM

A MacBook Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM is a fine machine for running Poser. It's got enough RAM and processing power, even for complicated scenes.
I don't know how powerful the graphics chip in that MacBook is, and whether it supports  OpenGL 2.0. That would be the main reason to switch to a desktop machine - dedicated graphics cards with much more 3D power, very useful when setting up and previewing your scenes.

There's no need to install V3 and V4 in separate runtimes. Although it can be useful. When installing new content, it's best to start using Poser 7's organizing features immediately!

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 12:06 PM

Hey Hey

Many thanks. Yes the MacBook does support OpenGL, although it shares its RAM with processor (or something!).   As long as i can get a feel for 3D to start off its cool. I wont hesitate to upgrade if I find the eneed to. Not before I have put the current machine through its paces though :)

I will agree to Poser's defaults as i install.... if i need to tweak at a later date then again, I will.

Cheers
Stefi xxx

Quote - A MacBook Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM is a fine machine for running Poser. It's got enough RAM and processing power, even for complicated scenes.
I don't know how powerful the graphics chip in that MacBook is, and whether it supports  OpenGL 2.0. That would be the main reason to switch to a desktop machine - dedicated graphics cards with much more 3D power, very useful when setting up and previewing your scenes.

There's no need to install V3 and V4 in separate runtimes. Although it can be useful. When installing new content, it's best to start using Poser 7's organizing features immediately!

Klutz ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 6:18 PM

If you are aiming for realism out of your characters, V4 has to be the better bet............

Miki2 at Content Paradise is worth a look too.

Klutz :0)

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:33 PM

Mmmmm ta Klutz... i want realism that i can possible stretch.. so V4 it will need to be I guess.

Stefi xxx[

quote]

If you are aiming for realism out of your characters, V4 has to be the better bet............

Miki2 at Content Paradise is worth a look too.

Klutz :0)

MarkXray ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 9:09 AM

Hi Stefi, 

I wasn't aiming my question about runtimes at you, I just thought that anyone answering your question about V3 or V4 might know. :)

I only wanted to know about runtimes because of the new AM instalation has to go in a separate one if you have the old version already. I didn't even know what runtimes were last week. ;)

Comparing notes would be very welcome, it's always great meeting people having similar experiences. One thing I'd advise, give your credit cards to someone to look after, I've just spent another $75 at Daz3d. sigh

Mark.

ir ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 9:25 AM

I still use V3 more than anything, mainly because I've taken a couple years getting a character that I'm happy with. I can't seem to get to the same place with V4. Not to mention I've spent literally thousands of dollars on clothing and stuff for V3, A3, S3, M3, that I just can't justify leaving V3 behind for V4.

V4's face has been a problem for me, no matter how hard I try I can't get a decent face out of her. The eyes seem to be the main problem. As for her body, I like V3's better, after my morphing, of course. I mainly use Harvey Mann's V3 New Gen 2 with Daz morphs applied as well. Makes for a very resource-heavy figure (though still not as bad as V4). And V3 New Gen 2's body morphs generally work better in apps like Tailor for applying morphs to clothing, since the morphs were all done with magnets. In other words, you don't get nearly as much, if any, clothing distortion with the New Gen 2 morphs transferred to clothing.

Sure, I'm still very bugged by V3's joints (Shoulders, elbows, knees, butt, etc), but overall I can get the figure I want out of her, I haven't been able to so far with V4.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 12:45 PM

hi lr.... i hear all you say.

I guess the only question to ask.. if you were starting out new, as i am.. which would you choose?

I will probably have to go with V4 and work to perfect that as you have with V3 ?

Stefi xxx

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.