Thu, Sep 19, 6:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: Morph size import from zbrush - scale off?

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 10:09 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:08 PM

Has anyone had this issue:

Export morph target from poser (I have just the morph target checked in options)

Load in zbrush, make mods, export (save)

Import back into poser as morph target

Everything is fine upto this point, but when I set the morph to 1.0, the scale of the object I'm morphing increases by something like 20-30%.  I only made small changes to parts of the morph target.

Can anyone help?

Thank you and thank you again for all the great help this forum has provided in the past.  You people are wonderful.

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 1:49 AM · edited Tue, 24 April 2007 at 1:50 AM

“…the scale of the object I'm morphing increases by something like 20-30%.”

I don’t think what you are seeing is the “scale” of the object, but the morph being applied too strongly.
A dial setting of 1.0 is usally way too much for a morph done in Zbrush.
Try turning the dial to something less than 1.0 until it looks like it did in Zbrush…then set the max dial limit to that setting.

SWAMP

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 2:10 AM

I agree with SWAMP.
You also have a variety of options for exporting from ZBrush, perhaps you could try different options.
I'm sure you're already aware that you can only push polygons around when making morph targets in ZBrush and should never change the number of verticies of the .obj in any way.

Good luck.

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 2:26 AM

“..should never change the number of verticies of the .obj in any way.”

Very true,but you can subdivide the mesh by going up a level or two.
That gives you a very dense mesh with a lot of surface to work on.
Then drop it back down to level one (the original poly count) for export.

Note: If you do any smoothing of the mesh, wait until you bring it back down to the original count (level one), or you will get things messed up.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 2:30 AM

Never knew this SWAMP. Thanks very much.

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 2:39 AM

Glad to help.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 12:13 PM

I understand what you're saying, however the modifications I made do not show up fully until I go to 1.0 on the dials.  The head begins to "grow" as soon as I start turning the dial.  

So to elaborate, eg. I pose a head with expressions and such (as close to what I'm looking to create).

Export the head as morph target.

Import into zbrush, increase say, just the size of the cheeks.

Export from Zbrush, re-import into poser.

Turn the dial say to .2 - it is at that point that the entire head begins to increased in size.

Funny, this never happens when I'm tinkering but when I have a project due, it always happens.

btw, I understand the mesh import method -  I've used both the polymesh tool and regular import method and both have the same results.  Although I agree the the polymesh tool is the absolute best way to go because you can subdivide the mesh (I love you zbrush) without issue.

I suppose I can exaggerate my mods in zbrush and that way, I only need to change the morph dial a small percentage but it just seems odd when typically (with other morph targets) 1.0 represents the target morph.

You guys are cool btw.

DaveF ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 10:04 PM

Attached Link: ZBrush Tutorials

CuriousGeorge: Sorry, but I just found this thread today. What version of Poser are you exporting from? I have experienced the exact same phenomenon that you described but only if I had exported the mesh from Poser 7 and imported it back later. However, when I work with Poser 6, the problem doesn't seem to be there at all. I even have my preferences set in Poser 7 to use external binary morph targets, but the problem continued. Also, I have a tutorial link here at Renderosity in the ZBrush tutorial section that shows how to export a figure from Poser, modify it in ZBrush and then import it back into Poser. You might find it useful.

Regards,

Dave Frohmader (Nagus)

DAZ Studio for Beginners Tutorials

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 12:11 PM

ARGH!!!!!!!  YES POSER 7!!!!  ANNOYING!!!  I have to purchase poser 6 now to fix this problem!!!!

DaveF ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 2:16 PM

Quote - ARGH!!!!!!!  YES POSER 7!!!!  ANNOYING!!!  I have to purchase poser 6 now to fix this problem!!!!

Perhaps somebody has an answer to this problem that won't involve you shelling out more $$$. I haven't come across any recently, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a way. Also, I have to admit that I haven't attempted to import custom morphs into P7 since it's latest service release. When I get home, I'll give it a try and post my results.

Regards,

Dave Frohmader (Nagus)

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 9:51 PM · edited Thu, 26 April 2007 at 9:51 PM

I'm using the latest P7 service pack, so I'm wondering if the bug reared it's ugly head in the service pack.  In anycase, I would consider this a priority 1 bug

DaveF ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 4:54 AM · edited Fri, 27 April 2007 at 4:55 AM

file_375981.jpg

HOLD THE FORT, MY FRIEND! I got it to work in Poser 7!!! [jumps up and down and does a back flip in his mind] Okay, this is what you do: 1. Load your figure, turn off the kinematics on both legs, and zero out the joints using the joint editor. 2. Export the figure (or parts you want to change) as a OBJ file 3. When prompted for your export options, make sure you only have "As Morph Target", "Include Body Part Names", and "Include Figure Names" before clicking on OK. 4. Do your dirty work in ZBrush and export. The default export settings in ZBrush 2.0 work fine. 5. Open P7 and import the modified mesh you created. During the import, make sure you deselect all options except for "As Morph Target" before clicking OK. You don't want Poser to center the mesh, nor do you want it to re-scale it or change the polys in any manner. 6. When the mesh is loaded, make sure you have it selected as a prop, and then select your Group Editor tool (button with the dot in the center surrounded by a broken-line square) 7. When your Group Editor tool window pops up, click on "Spawn Props". 8. Export as Wavefront Obj and export each group separately (i.e., head, neck, chest, etc.). I save the spawned prop meshes in my Geometries folder in Poser 7, BTW. 9. After you've saved all of the parts you planned on changing, create a new document and load your figure and then install each of your modified morphs. Also, check your Poser 7 preferences too. Under Misc., you should have the "Use external binary morph targets" selected under the Save Files tab. Otherwise, the entire process is basically identical to what I have posted in both of my tutorials (located here in the ZBrush section). Let me know how you make out. I hope this works for you as well as it just did for me! Cheers! Dave

Regards,

Dave Frohmader (Nagus)

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 10:24 AM

Whoa, ok man that's awesome thank you!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.