Sun, Oct 6, 11:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: The case of the flying polygon

Damsel ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 7:18 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 11:23 AM

I'm having a terrible time and I can't figure it out. I'm making a set of patio furniture for sale in my store. Everything is going great until I got to the grill. I am doing the props in Poser 6. In the images below you can see that the prop in Poser 6 is fine but when loaded in Poser 7 you see a weird polygon thing heading to the sky. It doesn't render in 7, but it shows when loading and I don't want that in a product for sale. It isn't a polygon since when you select the grill, it isn't selected, but it's there still. I've tried just loading the .obj in 7 and it's still there. Why in Poser 7 and not 6 and what could it be?? I've checked the normals...nothing wrong. I can't figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

Kathie Berry
Admin/PlanIT3D

Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot. 
Others transform a yellow spot into the sun.
 --Pablo Picasso-
-

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 7:27 PM

I've seen this occur also. What version of Poser 7 are you using? If you click Help > About  you can get the full version number.

Maxfield ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 9:23 PM

I've also seen this from time to time. Some modelling programs inject phantom polygons and verts into models and they don't always clean up afterwards. You might try taking the model into various 3d applications or perhaps UVMapper, and seeing if the polygon shows up and can be deleted.

Damsel ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 9:47 PM

Phil, I think I've updated to the latest but it says v7.0.1.109

Maxfield...I'll try taking it into another modeling program and see how it looks in there. Somehow I don't think it's going to be that easy. ;-)

I've had it through UVMapper over a dozen times today remapping different sections to see if it helps and it didn't. :-(

Kathie Berry
Admin/PlanIT3D

--Pablo Picasso-
-

deljs ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 9:54 PM

Just a thought - select all points in C4D and hit Optimize. See if your point count drops by 1. You probably already tried that, but...

Damsel ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 10:28 PM · edited Fri, 04 May 2007 at 10:31 PM

Thanks deljs...I thought I had them all but there were quite a few that needed optimizing. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. I thought I had it but no. :-) I also opened it in Rhino, Hexagon, Amapi and Silo and no errant polygons showed. It's really weird. Poser 7 is the only program that shows it. And unfortunately, I want it to be usable in Poser 7. Darn.

Kathie Berry
Admin/PlanIT3D

--Pablo Picasso-
-

deljs ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 10:46 PM

Perhaps try deleting the polygons in the back (or whatever area the errant one is shooting from), but keep the points. Then go back in and rebuild those polys by hand. Longshot, but strange problems can sometimes require strange solutions. Good luck!

Damsel ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 11:35 PM

Thanks, I did that. One reason it's so hard is because when you turn it to see closer in Poser 7 it moves also. And at one point during turning, disappears. Then reappears. It's a phantom poly. :-) I even deleted the entire cooking surface where it "seemed" to be coming from and entirely rebuilt it in C4D. Still there. I don't think I've ever had such a tricky messy problem before. It's got me dead in the water on where to go from here. Something has to be causing it, but I'm darned if I can figure out what it is.

Kathie Berry
Admin/PlanIT3D

--Pablo Picasso-
-

deljs ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 12:01 AM

I think at this point I'd try a support ticket at e-frontier. It is their product that is displaying incorrectly. Does it show under both SreeD and OpenGL? Does it show under Wireframe or other display styles? I don't have P7. Just throwing out some ideas to help you home in on it.

Touchwood ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 12:02 AM

It looks to me that it's coming from the handle of the hood. Have you tried rotating it (the hood) to see if the poly also moves? Try deleting the handle also.

Elfwine ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 12:10 AM

I... I... can't resist!... must say it!!... This is a thread about... a damsel in distress!! Aaaaah hahahaha!! sorry... hehe ; )

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

Damsel ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 12:20 AM

Quote - I... I... can't resist!... must say it!!... This is a thread about... a damsel in distress!! Aaaaah hahahaha!! sorry... hehe ; )

:b_tonguewink:  :b_funny:

Kathie Berry
Admin/PlanIT3D

--Pablo Picasso-
-

jonnybode ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 1:18 AM

Hi Damsel!

I found this problem on various Vicky2 characters when I first opened them in P7, I think it occured when P7 couldnt find the textures called for.

After ive resaved the V2 characters in P7 with a texture from the main runtime I cant recreate the problem anymore.

Dont know if this helps you much but maybe it can lead you in the rigth direction.

Poser 7  "V7.0.1.47 "(havent bothered with the latest patch yet).

Regards / Jonny

drifterlee ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 2:48 AM

Not to be flippant, but it looks like aliens are trying to beam up your grill, LOL!

mylemonblue ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 2:59 AM

If it doesn't show up in your renders it might be a existing bug. A annoying one to. It's random with different characters for me but doesn't show in renders and it's always that same corner.

Someone else had the same thing happen.
www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 6:20 AM

iI have this same problem with a couple of rings I imported as OBJs from a 3rd party library of objects.  A polygon shoots off at an angle sky-ward so it appears, but does not render.

Eternal Hobbyist

obm890 ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 8:54 AM · edited Sat, 05 May 2007 at 9:07 AM

I've seen this too, in my case it was caused by a combination of N-gons (faces with more than 4 vertices) and the SreeD preview renderer (the alternative to OpenGL preview if you right-click in the poser window). 

I don't usually use Poser's SreeD renderer/display, I was checking it out to see if it helped speed up my OpenGL display in Modo which was running concurrently. I got lots of polys attaching to the top corner of the screen like that, all from n-gons. They don't render, but they look awful in the preview.

Damsel ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 8:55 AM

Thanks so much to everyone! Following your suggestions, it appears that it shows under SreeD and not OpenGL. So it wasn't the model but the program and the preview settings. When I think of all the time spent re-doing it and re-mapping it. :-) But live and learn. I appreciate all of the help and suggestions so much. I can relax now knowing it's just the preview settings on some items. Whew! At least I learned something along the way. :-)

Kathie Berry
Admin/PlanIT3D

--Pablo Picasso-
-

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.