Fri, Jul 5, 9:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 04 1:52 pm)

Subject: (OT) Google Earth

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:39 AM · edited Fri, 17 May 2024 at 5:53 PM

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

I really like this program, and have recommended it to a friend of mine. However she says she can't seem to get it to work.  I've asked her what happens, and she can't remember what the error message that she gets is.

I know when you start up initially it asks if you want to start in "Open GL" or the other one. I suspect that might be what she is talking about.

Anyway, she has "Windows ME"  I'm not really sure what that is.

Can someone tell me if this Google Earth will run on Windows ME?  I had it on my old computer and it ran "Windows 2000", is that the same thing?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:43 AM

Windows ME = Windows Millenium Edition

This is from the Google Earth website so "NO" it won't run it [according to them!].

Q. What are the system requirements to download Google Earth?

A. You'll need Windows XP and your browser needs to be Firefox 1.0 or IE 6.0 or higher.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 1:19 PM

Another Google Earth lover here.. we located vacation spots in Seatlle a few years ago with it, and did a few different fly bys using it.

I also marked the aiirports we were taking, and followed th eflight paths, to see if there was anything of interest.

When we were on the plane, I asked the attendant if she could check for something's visibility we might see along the way, after I spotted what looked like familiar landmarks on the ground.
My wife, of course, thought I was nuts.

The pilots wanted to know how I figured out that we'd be able to see it, because they never bothered to look for this landmark... and they could, and I (and everyone on the plane) got an aerial view of Devils' Tower!

Needless to say, my wife was eating crow the rest of the flight!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 1:26 PM · edited Mon, 04 June 2007 at 1:27 PM

I recently saw on the television a program like Google Earth but it allowed you to actually get right down the ground and actually 3D tour the surround areas.  Only certain cities are set up for that because apparently photographs have to be taken and uploaded into the program.

I really wish I could rmember the name of that program. I made a mental note for myselt to look it up on the net, but got side tracked and forgot about it and also forgot the name.

I know there are other programs similar to Google Earth, but again I forgot the names of them.  Can anyone remember the names of other such programs that allow earth viewing? I thini one had to do with nVidia.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 1:35 PM

I think microsoft has something like it as well, but some areas are very detailed, and you can even almost view license plates at google's headquarters.

Much depends on the quality of the available satillite images, and enough detail can be seen, that many countries have contacted google, and had areas blurred out, because "secret" air strips, and plane inventory could be seen in them.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 2:02 PM

You mean like those Alien spacecraft at Area 51 in nevada!!!
I saw them just the other day!!!

Oh No Now I'll get a visit from the MIB's!!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

alt1701 ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 3:58 PM

SketchUp 5?

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 4:10 PM

Quote - I recently saw on the television a program like Google Earth but it allowed you to actually get right down the ground and actually 3D tour the surround areas.  Only certain cities are set up for that because apparently photographs have to be taken and uploaded into the program.

I really wish I could rmember the name of that program. I made a mental note for myselt to look it up on the net, but got side tracked and forgot about it and also forgot the name.

I know there are other programs similar to Google Earth, but again I forgot the names of them.  Can anyone remember the names of other such programs that allow earth viewing? I thini one had to do with nVidia.

I saw this on the NBC Nightly News  the other day. It is going to be called Google Street Corner or something like that.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Carioca ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 7:45 PM

I like Google Earth. I located several Brazilian soccer stadiums using this software.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 8:26 PM

It's "Google Street View" that I'm looking for.  However, I can't find a link for it, and can't figure out if it's part of "Google Earth" or a completely separate program.

The other one I remember now is called "Whirl Wind" and it's by Nasa.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 8:37 PM

looks like it's just a feature now of google maps

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 8:52 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Flashearth.com has access to gogle earth, nasa, and several others. You might find it there.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Whatthe ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 9:27 PM

I have it for my cell phone, the new Helio phone.  Really cool feature, gives me directions, traffic detail, and switching between street map and satellite view.  Great stuff.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 9:49 PM

Google map isn't to bad...

Ever want to spy on your neighbors? Hehehe...

maps.google.com/maps
It takes a minute for this to finish loading but it has a little surprise...

...hehehe...

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.