Sun, Sep 22, 11:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Faceshop Pro

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 9:48 AM

I just did it for the hell of it to see if it would work.  I had planned to map the rest of the body myself.  Animal templates are a pain to work with.

I also found that when exporting the Mil Cat OBJ, no head was listed to export so technically this would be a DAZ problem, not FSP.  The product listing says any figure so I thought it would work.  Obviously not.  I also think that in the next version, when importing an Object the program should show a relatively close image of the figure being imported--if that makes any sense.  For instance, you are always working with the same face and there are differences among all of the figures being imported.  This may be the reason why the maps don't always line up. 

Just curious... What woudl happen if you exported the whole body, used it a TempMan, zoomed in to work on the head and then exported the new morph out again.
If it has the same number of verices, it could still work as a morph target...
Laslo

whbos ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 9:57 AM

Quote -
Just curious... What woudl happen if you exported the whole body, used it a TempMan, zoomed in to work on the head and then exported the new morph out again.
If it has the same number of verices, it could still work as a morph target...
Laslo

I don't know.  I gave up on it and deleted the program from my computer.  Sorry, I asked DAZ for a refund.  Maybe someone else would like to take a stab at it.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 10:29 AM

Can you spawn the head as a prop mesh using the grouping tool?

Ariah ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 10:39 AM

Quote -

I don't know.  I gave up on it and deleted the program from my computer.  Sorry, I asked DAZ for a refund.  Maybe someone else would like to take a stab at it.

Why do You people give up so easily?...

Nothing comes with a 'make an instant work of art' button.

panko ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 11:26 AM

file_380140.jpg

> Quote - > > Why do You people give up so easily?...

Perhaps because life is too short, or because some realize earlier than others that attempting to fly to the Moon on a hot air balloon is not the best approach.....😉

OK... A couple of days ago I did reset my DAZ purchases and downloaded FaceShop Pro once again. Here is the snapshot of the opening screen. It still says version 3.1, but options for larger textures are included. Apart from this I found nothing new and no significant improvement. The textures generated are slightly better than before, but --in my view-- still unusable and the option to duplicate the better half of the face over the other half still leaves an ugly separation mark, making thus the morph impossible to use. As for the manual, the one I got is in all ways identical to the one I had before.

So, at this point I can safely say that I am not a very happy customer.

"That's another fine mess you got me in to!" -- Oliver Hardy

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 11:52 AM

The manual is DECIDEDLY NOT identical, Panko!
You are right that you have now 3.15. Pls. look in your folder and you will see a new manual (unless you replaced the new with the old).
The best is to use the installer and install 3.15 in a new location or under a diff. name.
On page 1 of the manual it says: "What's New in SR1?"
BTW: Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll be glad to give you a refund.
Laslo

whbos ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 12:16 PM

Quote - Why do You people give up so easily?...

Nothing comes with a 'make an instant work of art' button.

Maybe because the Pro version is a lot different and maybe more screwed up than the Basic version for DAZ Studio.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

panko ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 12:28 PM · edited Thu, 14 June 2007 at 12:31 PM

Laslo,

I suspect that, in spite of my efforts, the impression I give is this of a person of a rather low IQ, or of someone who has difficulties in expressing himself accurately. Maybe this is the case…. :) I’ll try then to explain exactly what I did so as to make communication easier:

1. I asked DAZ to reset my purchase of Face Shop Pro.

2. DAZ obliged and I was presented with two downloaders (in the “available downloads” area): one for the program and one for the manual.

3. I downloaded both and placed them in a newly created folder (as I do with all new downloads).

4. I installed FaceShop Pro.

5. I opened the Manual in Adobe.

6. FaceShop Pro reads version 3.1 (which is version 3.15, minus the “5”), but the manual is exactly the same as the one I had before (here is the file name: ps_ap186b_FaceShop_Manual.pdf)

These are the moves I made. Could be that DAZ made a mistake on the manual file? Who knows?.... One thing is certain: the manual I downloaded is the SAME manual I got when I first purchased the program.

Also… As I said many times before I do appreciate your efforts to support the program and offer assistance to the customers. Once again I’d like to voice my appreciation for this and to thank you personally. However this doesn’t mean that a customer shouldn’t point out the flaws and weaknesses on a piece of software which, as it turns out, doesn’t deliver its promises. How else would there be an improvement?

Thank you for your offer to refund, but I’d like to wait and see what happens, as I believe that this piece of software has potential –it simply started on the wrong foot.

Again, thank you for being so helpful and please don’t take any negative comments on FaceShop as a personal attack.😄

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 12:42 PM

Hi Panko,
I have high regard for you and your comments.
Pls. send me a private e-mail to laslov@hotmail.com and I will send you the new manual.
In reagrd to the process: the manula IS part of the new installer.
When you download the installer, it creates a folder. In that folder there should be the new manual.
Either way you should have the manual, so let me send you a copy.
Cheers,
Laslo

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 1:55 PM · edited Thu, 14 June 2007 at 1:58 PM

I liked the tutorial packaged with the application very much. I would certainly appreciate if anyone else who has developed work methods that have been fruitful could share their experience. Has anyone used pre-morphed faces with open mouth smiles? Pre-processed the source images? Things like that. Laslo, is it possible for you to set up a forum somewhere, I understand that the labor involved might be better spent on the software development... is there someone who could manage a forum/showcase for sharing knowledge base. This application has brought some real life into my stock figures and I think that the application and its users would benefit from "community support" so the issue is how to form a community? I don't think RMP is the place.

panko ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 2:12 PM

Oooops!.... I found it!!!!! It has been installed automatically on the program's folder.... A good thing you mentioned it as DAZ gives two downloads, one for the program and another for the manual's pdf! This explains the confusion.
Laslo, my apologies for being a grouchy old man and thank you once again.

Here I need to underline that while I may sound over critical at times I am very interested in the program and I intend to follow any developments in this area very closely for I can sense that you got there something that may turn out to be an extremely valuable tool.

I’m glad there aren’t any hard feelings between us….👍

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 2:17 PM

Quote - I liked the tutorial packaged with the application very much. I would certainly appreciate if anyone else who has developed work methods that have been fruitful could share their experience. Has anyone used pre-morphed faces with open mouth smiles? Pre-processed the source images? Things like that. Laslo, is it possible for you to set up a forum somewhere, I understand that the labor involved might be better spent on the software development... is there someone who could manage a forum/showcase for sharing knowledge base. This application has brought some real life into my stock figures and I think that the application and its users would benefit from "community support" so the issue is how to form a community? I don't think RMP is the place.

FACE-SHOP FORUM?

I like the idea a whole lot. Any suggestions where we should start a FS Forum?
Laslo

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 7:59 PM

I did something crazy, I used a dog photo to make an M3 morph. lol. Anubis, actually. ;) It worked in some areas, but the lowerjaw was a mess because there is HUGE difference between a human jaw and doggie jaw. I haven't tried importing a head that already has a morph, but it sounds like this is a really good idea to try before attempting fantasy heads shapes in FS pro. bB

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 8:01 PM

I might try morphimg the royloo Cat Skeleton into a dog head skeleton. Can't be that different, right? ;p

destro75 ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 11:02 AM

Laslo, if you don't want to spend the time and investment in starting up a forum of your own, (I wouldn't blame you one bit,), how about a Yahoo! Group?  Then users can sign up for updates. I think that would be a great idea.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:02 PM

Quote - Laslo, if you don't want to spend the time and investment in starting up a forum of your own, (I wouldn't blame you one bit,), how about a Yahoo! Group?  Then users can sign up for updates. I think that would be a great idea.

I actually requested from Rendo that they consider adding a FaceShop forum.
Here is the answer:

Hello Laslo,

At this time we will not be adding a FaceShop forum on Renderosity.
If we get enough member requests on down the road to open up a new forum then we will discuss at that time.

Thank you
Stacey 

As you can see, we need a grassroots request campaing to make the "powers that be" listen.
BTW: I will start a forum at RuntimeDNA shortly (unlike Rendo they di encouraged it)
Laslo

destro75 ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:20 PM

Quote - > Quote - Laslo, if you don't want to spend the time and investment in starting up a forum of your own, (I wouldn't blame you one bit,), how about a Yahoo! Group?  Then users can sign up for updates. I think that would be a great idea.

I actually requested from Rendo that they consider adding a FaceShop forum.
Here is the answer:

Hello Laslo,

At this time we will not be adding a FaceShop forum on Renderosity.
If we get enough member requests on down the road to open up a new forum then we will discuss at that time.

Thank you
Stacey 

As you can see, we need a grassroots request campaing to make the "powers that be" listen.
BTW: I will start a forum at RuntimeDNA shortly (unlike Rendo they di encouraged it)
Laslo

Hmm, interesting that 'Rosity didn't want to open a forum. Maybe they're scared of the whole copyright issue going bezerk. Ah well...

Cool on RDNA though. I only go there once a week usually, but I'll make time to get over there if there's a forum for FS.

I have to say man, you are a class act. I've dealt with a lot of software vendors in my time, but never have I seen someone so involved with the user base for their product. Kudos to you!

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:40 PM

Thanks Destro,

that's really nice to hear. Unfortunately, my activity is not by choice; there's so much negativity in these froums (including the moderators) that I felt the need to inject some positive notes here and there.
Thanks again for your kind comments.
Laslo

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:46 PM

Laslo,

Members (and the team for that matter) are allowed to express their opinion, positive OR negative as long as its not in violation of our TOS.  

These are discussion forums after all and that is what our members are doing.  Their opinions should be respected whether negative or positive.  In reading threads regarding FaceShop at other sites, I see the exact same type of posts, positive and negative.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:49 PM

shrug

Such a forum would be fine at RDNA.  No doubt that would be helpful to many.  And I would add that I fully understand Rendo's position on this.....it's also a perfectly legitimate one.

If FaceShop really takes off, then all bets are off.

Best to deal nicely.  That's always a good policy.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:55 PM

I want to clear up the reason we said that we would not be opening a new forum at this time.

We open new forums based on MEMBER requests, not just based on the request of the product creator.  If we get numerous requests from members for a new forum then we (admin/mods) would discuss it at that time. So far the only request we have received for a new forum is from the product creator, thus my response to him.

Stacey

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 1:03 PM

Stacey,

I agree with you, we live in a democracy after all (thanks God for that).
What I am bemoaning is the sour mood of the particpants - I guess that's the nature of the beast.
BTW: You look terrific on your thumbnail image!
Laslo

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 1:05 PM

Thanks Laslo:)  Now where is your pic?  Come on, I'm waiting, lol

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 1:42 PM

file_380211.jpg

Here I am.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 1:59 PM

So you're a ghostly silhouette.........being able to walk through walls comes in handy, I'm sure.  😉

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:00 PM

The question is: how do you get yourself into FaceShop?

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:03 PM

Hehe.
That really is me (on an installation art show in Chicago).
The technique is called large-scale photogram.
Basically you cover objects, walls, etc. with lots of photopaper, expose it to light for a minute and  develop it. The photopaper then gets pasted back in its original position and voila - you have shadows of objects and people:-)
Laslo

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:04 PM

Quote - The question is: how do you get yourself into FaceShop?

Art does not pay. Marketing sometime does:-)
Laslo

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:08 PM

Now Laslo that isn't fair:(  We can't see the REAL you, only the shadow you

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:11 PM · edited Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:12 PM

Quote - Art does not pay. Marketing sometime does:-)
Laslo

Oh, I dunno......when they're getting paid 100's of 1000's of dollars for canvases with random paint patterns splashed on them at New York art auctions.......then somebody's making money.

But then again: perhaps the onus behind all of that just comes down to a matter of marketing.......😉

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:17 PM

........and then there's also the consideration over whether or not the stuff that's being sold for such high prices actually constitutes art..........

Ariah ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 10:04 AM

file_380340.jpg

OK, here I go again on my TV series crusade...

After the 'Kate' figure I decided to take on her guy ;) He still lacks something, but I think it's a fair starting point.

FaceShop: basic texture (then enhanced in Photoshop) and basic morph (then tweaked in Poser).

Generally, I'm pretty satisfied.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 11:56 AM

For those who need help, I posted four (4) videos showing the workflow from Poser to FS and back at http://www.abalonellc.com/watchdemovideo.html
Laslo

Klutz ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 1:22 PM

Thanks for that......

The video walk-through was helpful. 

( BTW If anyone has difficulty playing these tutorials a .tscc codec does the trick ;0) 
  Yep,  I did! :0/  LOL)

Klutz :0)

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:05 PM

I just changed the codec on the first video to windows media player.
Can someone check to see if this works without any extra codec?
Laslo

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:12 PM

Works just fine Laslo and I'm on a recently fresh re-installed Windows XP SP2 with Media Player  10.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:14 PM

Quote - Works just fine Laslo and I'm on a recently fresh re-installed Windows XP SP2 with Media Player  10.

Cool. I will recompress the other three to the same.
Tx!

destro75 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 3:23 PM

Quote - I want to clear up the reason we said that we would not be opening a new forum at this time.

We open new forums based on MEMBER requests, not just based on the request of the product creator.  If we get numerous requests from members for a new forum then we (admin/mods) would discuss it at that time. So far the only request we have received for a new forum is from the product creator, thus my response to him.

Stacey

Hey Stacey!

If it matters, I for one, would love to see a FaceShop forum here @ 'Rosity. This is the only art related site I visit practically every day. I skip Daz unless there's a sale on something I want, and I only visit RDNA when I get the newsletter. 3DC is an almost never, and I don't go anywhere else except the ImagineFX site (but I haven't been there in about a month.)

Klutz ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 3:36 PM

If a significant userbase develops for it, I think a faceshop forum wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Klutz  :0)

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 7:02 PM · edited Sat, 16 June 2007 at 7:04 PM

We probably don't have enough votes to get a FSP forum but maybe when the next version comes out. I have looked but have not found to whom I should address my "vote", who do you think we should write to? Should I wait and see if more grassroots come out with the next version anyway before contacting anyone? Do you think a forum here could be supported? It seems like several of the forums are pretty inactive. I had figured off site was better on account of copyright notions some people seem to have.

laslov ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 9:44 AM

There are about 2,000 FaceShop users currently and the number is rapidly growing. The reason why I think a separate forum would be appropriate is that FaceShop is NOT just a Poser tool; it can be used with 3DS Max, Studio, Rhino, Maya, Sahed, etc - all apps that read OBJ files.
Laslo

panko ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 9:48 AM

A FaceShop forum would be a great addition! I am all for it.

leather-guy ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 2:50 PM

file_380422.jpg

I'd like to add my vote for a FaceShopPro forum, if it counts - This software can be a LOT of fun!

destro75 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:20 PM

Quote - I'd like to add my vote for a FaceShopPro forum, if it counts - This software can be a LOT of fun!

Those images are great leather-guy! Nice work!

leather-guy ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:40 PM

Those images are great leather-guy! Nice work! 

Thank you - I just spent the better part of 2 days throwing the wierdest stuff I could find at the proggie, and  having a blast. It's not perfect, by any means, but has the potential to be a lot of fun.
I'd like to see a wishlist started for it.  

momodot ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 10:08 PM

leather-guy, Your results are excelent. Any tips you can share?

leather-guy ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 11:10 PM

"leather-guy, Your results are excellent. Any tips you can share?"
Nothing too extraordinary about my learning process. . .
I scanned the several online threads at the various forums, doing a cut-and-paste of sections that seemed most informative into an Email I sent to myself and then archived in a subfolder of my Email Client. 
I read thru the latest manual, the archived Email, and the Elle tutorial (I think it was called?) several times before actually installing the program.  
I've only had the program crash once out of 20-30 run-throughs, but I always recommend saving often, just in case.

The key things that help me I've found are to;
Try it a couple of times with photos, then use that experience to guide your selection of further pictures to use.  
I found that re-sampling small photos larger seems to improve the results.
Experiment with placing points exactly on the margins, slightly outside, and then slightly inside the margin lines being selected to compare the results.
Use the 3 free-style lines to accent things like cheekbones, smile lines, Inner lip lines, broad nose bridges, etc.
Don't hesitate to back up a few steps or even scrap one entirely to start over if it seems to be going badly.
Save textures both before and after mirroring to compare later.

pokeydots ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 2:59 AM

file_380490.jpg

Here is a face shop Shrek type in DS.  Not perfect, but fun none the less!  Had to post work some ears.

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 6:53 AM

Has anybody used paintshop pro on a V3 face morph that they really like to get V4 to look the same? Love esther PS I don't own the proggie, I just wondered because I still haven't seen any nice V4 faces in the MP that I really like as much as the V3s.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 5:08 PM

Here's how to solve the issue with an open lipped smile in FaceShop:

1. Start with a photo like this

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.