Tue, Oct 22, 6:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Free Stuff out of Control

Unicornst ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 11:03 PM

**I'm a vendor, but my making a statement here has nothing whatsoever to do with my status as a vendor. I make characters, not tubes or backgrounds.

And the complaint is not that there is too much freestuff in the free stuff area. It's that it's being flooded (20 or more in one day) by the same type item by the same person and other items are getting knocked way back. Karen stated that there is a cap on the Poser items. People here are asking why this can't be done for 2D items as well. There's a limit on how many products are released each day in the MarketPlace. Why can't the Free Stuff have a limit as well?**

genefleeman ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 11:19 PM

It isn't just the fact that a person makes some Money off of stuff that is a waste of space but on looking in the free area I find 3 pages of stuff all from the same person. Instead of putting these in Background "Packs" they put each and EVERY one of them in a different upload.. this serves NO function other than to make money and USE people for their own gain.. If they made art and sold the art then that would be one thing but to sidestep the limits put on picture uploads put in place for a reason and just upload countless garbage of seemingly useless types under the guise of a background is kind of ridiculous... Those are NOT backgrounds as anyone of any talent can tell.. They are one thing pasted to another and CALLED a background... RUBBISH!! I don't want to go through 5 pages of crap to find one or two usefull objects and the idea that everyone should put up with it because we "Don't HAVE to go to the free section" is just verbal hogwash... I am NOT going to quit looking for legitimate useful objects just because some person that wants to "USE" everyone thinks I should... I say that if they DON"T fix the problem that we BOYCOTT anything that appears to be of this catagory and the USERS can just do without the money they want us to help them make for trash...

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 2:24 AM

"I*nstead of putting these in Background "Packs" they put each and EVERY one of them in a different upload.this serves NO function other than to make money and USE people for their own gain"
*Well i beg to differ. As a mod who DLs and checks a lot of these,even zipped or RARed up they would make very large files and that would put them out of reach of the very people free stuff is most valuable to, poor folks who can't afford to buy stuff [I'm one] and only have a dial up connection[well I do have DSL].

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 2:49 AM

I wouldn't call the providers items trash just because you dont like what the items are..and I dont know anyone on this site that doesn't like to make money..no matter how small of an amount it is..so saying members are being 'used' is totally unfair.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

spedler ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:17 AM

It's a difficult one, isn't it? There is, very understandably, a reluctance to criticise anything provided for free. And after all, what I might consider to be junk might be extremely useful to someone else. Just as we all have opinions about what is good art, so we all have opinions about what is good free stuff. I certainly don't have a problem with anyone making a few pennies out of their free uploads.

Having said all that.... like all good things, it can be abused. I've found myself growing increasingly irritated with the person we are mostly talking about, precisely because there is so much of it and it gets in the way of material from others. The ideal would be the ability for each member to maintain a list of people and/or categories of stuff they didn't want to see, but the programming effort involved might be considerable. Then anyone could upload as much as they liked, but I wouldn't ever see it if I didn't want to.

The balance for rendo is not to discourage free stuff providers (free stuff is important to this site, I think) while at the same time not allowing some providers to alienate others. I'm not a merchant BTW, but I have uploaded some free stuff. If that balance is not maintained other free stuff providers might decide not to upload their free items here, on the grounds that those items will a) vanish from the front page very quickly and b) the number of members scanning the free stuff will diminsh as its usefulness is reduced. If that happened, it would defeat the whole point of a free stuff area.

Steve

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:33 AM · edited Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:35 AM

I'll add my own 2 pence here. I visit freestuff most days, and occasionally I contribute to it. Like Acadia I view all categories, since there's always a possibility that something in the 2D or 3D models categories will prove useful in Poser. I have no problem with folks trying to make money out of their freebies. There is some excellent stuff at ShareCG; I've noticed that some vendors have switched their stores to ShareCG freebies, presumably because they think they can make more money that way. Whether I'm being "used" or not is irrelevant to me. If I can get something I want, for free, then any complaint about how it's presented is carping. What I do have a problem with is the amount of time it takes to search through the day's submissions now. Next time I go on holiday, I am going to have to skip a lot of potentially worthwhile downloads because I simply won't have time to scan through a week's or a fortnight's uploads. The solution is to put more power in the hands of the fresstuff visitors, not to penalise the contributors. I would prefer a more sophisticated filtering system. At present we can look at all freebies, or some sub-category of them. If I could select from a list, choosing the categories I wanted to see and the ones I didn't, that would help a lot. The ability to ignore particular contributors would be welcome, but I believe technically more difficult, so I won't hold out much hope for that. ;) -- Edited to add: cross-posted with spedler... And evidently in agreement. :)

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 9:23 AM · edited Thu, 05 July 2007 at 9:29 AM

Quote - **I'm a vendor, but my making a statement here has nothing whatsoever to do with my status as a vendor. I make characters, not tubes or backgrounds.

And the complaint is not that there is too much freestuff in the free stuff area. It's that it's being flooded (20 or more in one day) by the same type item by the same person and other items are getting knocked way back. Karen stated that there is a cap on the Poser items. People here are asking why this can't be done for 2D items as well. There's a limit on how many products are released each day in the MarketPlace. Why can't the Free Stuff have a limit as well?**

Unicornst thanks for answering that question, 

This limit you speak of, is that limit in the MP per user, or sitewide? 

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 10:18 AM

**People, people, people.......

It has been noted that there was a disparity in how many free stuff items by a single member  are being approved and there was some confusion about how many items are allowed per day. There wasn't previously a formal limit, with the exception of Poser, as there was no flood like this before, but now this is being addressed and hopefully we can get an automatic limiter coded in soon. 

As it stands in Mod/Coord discussions we've all agreed to a 5 uploads per 24 hours informal limit until we get some input back from the code guys and gals.

Please folks, before we have more comments on how many uploads one person is doing, read the rest of the thread  because it's getting redundantly reundant.. ...**

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Unicornst ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 6:08 PM

Thanks for the clarifying, Bobby.

Bea ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 6:29 PM

Quote - **People, people, people.......

It has been noted that there was a disparity in how many free stuff items by a single member  are being approved and there was some confusion about how many items are allowed per day. There wasn't previously a formal limit, with the exception of Poser, as there was no flood like this before, but now this is being addressed and hopefully we can get an automatic limiter coded in soon. 

As it stands in Mod/Coord discussions we've all agreed to a 5 uploads per 24 hours informal limit until we get some input back from the code guys and gals.

Please folks, before we have more comments on how many uploads one person is doing, read the rest of the thread  because it's getting redundantly reundant.. ...**

thanks for that. is that a limit per person? or per type? In other words could I upload 5 into the poser and 5 into the Bryce and 5 into the 2D etc etc?

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 11:04 PM

*"is that a limit per person? or per type?"
*Good question Bea...I'll bring this up in our thread on this...relevant questions like this help us clarify...thanx for the input to all.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Natolii ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 5:23 AM

Opinion here...

Should be 5 per User... Not 5 per catagory. That defeats the purpose of having limits.

I, too, have been getting annoyed with the recent spam...

Bobby, you might want to find out the props used in the Tubes and make sure there are not EULA violations as well. Issues have come up in the past where people were redistrubing 2d background made from Daz3d products in direct violation of their EULA.

For example, Balcony Background uses a Platinum Club item, the SS Balcony. And the Graffiti Background looks like a Freebie that was posted here by Richabri... The Shoehouse background is again a Daz3D product. The Ancient room is a Poserworld Set.

It's a suggest, but Daz does have the prohibition on creating 2d backgrounds in direct competition to their products.

Unicornst ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 10:45 AM

Quote - It's a suggest, but Daz does have the prohibition on creating 2d backgrounds in direct competition to their products.

Last I heard, so does the MarketPlace here.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 11:03 AM

These suggestions posted to the Mod thread...patience my friends, code and decisions take some time but we're on it.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 11:18 AM

Sorry I'm getting confused now!!
i thought if I bought and paid fair and square for stuff here or DAZ or anywhere, I can make images using that content and sell them!! e.g. make an image for a book using something I bought!

Or am I missing the point???

Sorry!!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Unicornst ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 12:02 PM

**fixer, you can make images with items you buy and sell them.

What they're talking about is taking a prop....having only that on a psd or in a plain background...and then offering it up for sale. Daz says you have to have the vendors permission to do that.

I'm not 100% sure on the stand of giving it away. 

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 1:00 PM

Or indeed rendering vanilla/default DAZ Cycloramas and posting them as Backgrounds....

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Natolii ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 1:47 PM

Giving away as well. Falls under redistribution.

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 2:03 PM

Ok I can see the sense in that but, what if a client says I want an image of a clay pot on a blank background, so I do it using a clay pot I purchased from here or DAZ or anywhere and sell it to them, how does that stand??
I'm sorry if I'm being thick about this but copyright has never been easy to understand!!

Maybe I'm naive but I thought if I paid for it I can use it in my commercial renders!!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Natolii ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 3:13 PM

That is fine, fixer...

But if you render said image then sell it here or redistribute it as a freebie, then Daz frowns on it.

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 3:22 PM · edited Fri, 06 July 2007 at 3:22 PM

Hmm, Ok I get it but it does sound a little bit contradictory!! 

TY!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 3:49 AM · edited Sat, 07 July 2007 at 3:52 AM

Quote - That is fine, fixer...

But if you render said image then sell it here or redistribute it as a freebie, then Daz frowns on it.

So then, why isn't DAZ throwing fits about every N.V.I.T.W.S. thats in the galleries here? Or in the galleries over there?

Everytime someone veiws those images, they are downloading that image. Thus the artist that posted it in the first place, is infact redistributing it for free. 

Bea ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 4:45 AM

There are certain things - backgrounds are the main thing I think, that DAZ will not permit to be onsold or given away because they are in competition with with their background that is for sale.

Natolii ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 6:34 AM · edited Sat, 07 July 2007 at 6:35 AM

They are not going to ding people that can't help the way that their browser is programmed... The person has no control over that, and they (Daz) do it themsleves (galleries)...

The point comes in with the *deliberate * redistribution... Keyword is Deliberate.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 10:07 AM

Bobbystahr... Could you please consider using a default font colour? I have to highlight your posts to read it on my renderosity-blue background... Please remember that not everybody here likes blinding white backgrounds :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 1:08 PM

How's this

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

hewee ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 3:09 PM

Not good for a orange background. :)

But hey I can see it just find with the default color skin.

chaspo ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 4:20 PM

Excuse me, I'm in the process of uploading several thousands of 512X512 seamless abstract tiles to ShareCG. They are packed 10 tiles to a zip file for ease of download. My normal notification process is an announcement for each new 100 images (10 zips). They are my creations for stimulating my creative juices, and I'm offering them freely to others for the same purpose. Am I correct in assuming that the CG professionals here at renderosity would prefer not to be notified of my humble updates? I apologize in advance if I have wasted yor valuable time.

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 4:26 PM

Quote - Excuse me, I'm in the process of uploading several thousands of 512X512 seamless abstract tiles to ShareCG. They are packed 10 tiles to a zip file for ease of download. My normal notification process is an announcement for each new 100 images (10 zips). They are my creations for stimulating my creative juices, and I'm offering them freely to others for the same purpose. Am I correct in assuming that the CG professionals here at renderosity would prefer not to be notified of my humble updates? I apologize in advance if I have wasted yor valuable time.

?

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 4:46 PM

@Chaspo,

You can announce the zips/textures in the Freestuff Forum, but please be aware that only 5 items will be approved per 24 hr period.

Thanks!

~Jani

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 12:51 AM

Yeah chapso, as we can't have, god forbid, of all things, a freebie provider making a little change for themselves. 

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 1:52 AM · edited Sun, 08 July 2007 at 1:54 AM

Lord_syphex...That's not the issue here if you've been reading this thread, and should be as you popped up on page 1...if you haven't kept up, please try to start so we don't have to go over old issues time and again.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 3:20 AM

Bobby, 

(I hope I can call you that)

I have kept up. Thats just my opinion still.

Natolii ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 11:43 AM · edited Sun, 08 July 2007 at 11:45 AM

::dryily::

Yeah, rather defeats the purpose of being a "Free"stuff provider...

::wanders off to appreciate the freestuff providers at Poserclub or some other place::

Frankly, I appreciate Quality over Quanity any day of the week.

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 2:41 PM · edited Sun, 08 July 2007 at 2:42 PM

Whatever. You yourself pointed out that DAZ frowns upon the items in question.

Why is that?

Money.

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 3:03 PM

You know what never mind, I'm done with this discussion. The decision has been made anyways.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 5:55 PM

Quote - Yeah chapso, as we can't have, god forbid, of all things, a freebie provider making a little change for themselves

Syph, providers can upload as much as they want..but to be fair to everyone we have begun to actively enforce the limit of 5 approvals per day, per member, per 24 hr period...

Nothing is stopping the same provider from going to other CG sites and posting there as well to increase their profits from SCG

~Jani

tping ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:08 PM

Folks, the pointless bickering about a simple subject is well...pointless. The issues are not complicated:

There is a "limit" on uploads - it has not been enforced in some areas. Moderator issue.
         There are some EULA violations - must be dealt with appropriately. Moderator issue.
         There is a lack of communication between moderators of different areas. Moderator    issue.

All the different threads distill down to the moderators needing to address enforcement of site policies, which they have indicated is being done. Once a problem has been brought to the attention of the designated moderators it needs to be left alone for them to handle. Repetitively rehashing the same points is an exercise in futility and only engenders hostility.

My opinion on copyright infringement and flooding a site with "tons o' crap" is fairly clearly stated in the ShareCG forum under "Open Discussion" thread "Site Issues". The greed of some and the childishness of others is making me consider putting both sites on MY banned list. I have opted to refrain from uploading anything further unless the issues are resolved on both sites. I am a proponent of packaging items where applicable as the pittance generated by ShareCG views isn't worth the animosity being generated by multiple uploads of similar items. 

The best way to avoid any question of EULA violations is to ONLY UPLOAD YOUR OWN CREATIONS. If your are using someone else's material you can not ethically sell derivatives unless you have their WRITTEN permission to do so.

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:19 PM · edited Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:20 PM

Jumps, 

The decision apparently was made at or around halfway down the first page of this thread. :lol:

I have to accept and abide by that decision.

I don't have to like it though. But I guess I'll get over it, as I have some in the case of some of the other *****)(()U)_) decisions around here.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 12:40 AM

Yup, I know that...just thought Id throw it off in there again..just being my evil self again I guess...us evil Sith Queens can't help themselves.....well, I say 'us'..... I killed all the others so Im the only Sith Queen :laugh:

~Jani

Natolii ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 4:04 AM

To be fair...

I did some poking around the 3d model stuff and there are gems that have been getting lost in the flood of 2d images.
It's those gems I would like to see more of. ShareCG itself doesn't bother me.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 12:44 PM

it's possible that even with a freestuff upload limit of 5 images per day, they'll still be dumping renders/photos in there, in order to get around the gallery limit of 1 image per day. of course, nobody would suggest charging them to upload more than 1 image per day to freestuff, in the same way that they hafta pay extra to upload more than 1 image per day to the gallery.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 2:48 PM

**Miss Nancy....that's such an evil idea I was tempted to delete that post but they'd [Admin] still be able to see it...LOL...no really i don't think that will ever happen and we are being a lot more pro active in monitoring Free Free stuff since the recent deluge. 

@ Natolii well when looking for stuff I generally go to an object catagory when I'm looking for objects as you did....kinda the reason there are filters. And the search works quite well also. I don't see a problem here.. ...**

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 10:20 PM

Is this why some freestuff has gone missing? It gets tested, uploaded with pic, I download it and then suddenly it's gone! 

I did not take the time to read though all 4 pages here, so hope I am not repeating... I got some NICE actual mesh prop scene areas, with a few real mesh plants and some "billboard" plants (real ones taken with a camera cut out and made into the ones on planes) but now they are gone?!? It's kinda disturbing but I told myself if I downloaded from here in good faith, I can go ahead and use them...

They do not 'remind' me of any prop scene I have bought... BUT with GIGS of stuff to install and my memory glitches, I could never be sure.

Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 4:58 PM

I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have any opinion on this, but it ties in to my earlier statement that y'all are getting ..... weird.

This was said by someone:

"Syph, providers can upload as much as they want..but to be fair to everyone we have begun to actively enforce the limit of 5 approvals per day, per member, per 24 hr period...

Now, you know, this site used to be the definitive place to get free Poser crap. Nobody in charge, say, 5 years ago, would have ever thought to limit that in any way.
Of course, now it's a bandwidth issue, so it's understandable to want to limit it, but consider it from this perspective:

Admin [says]: Upload free stuff!
Membership: And there was much rejoicing...
Admin: But, only so much...here's the limit....
Membership: But! We want Free Stuff! Capitalist Profiteering Pigs, give us our Free Stuff!
Membership: Err, sorry about the capitalist pig thing...ummm..., please control the free stuff, it's getting annoying. thnx.

And, 2 pages later, I stand by my earlier assessment - y'all are getting really weird.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 5:28 PM

Well, we haven't really had a problem with the freestuff running overboard like it has of late..if we dont limit it in 'someway' we'll have pages and pages of similar items..this way the exposure stays fairly evenly distributed to all the providers, not just a few. ;)

{and ummm..I can't help it if Im weird....much better and more fun than being normal :P :D}

~Jani

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 9:06 PM

No, I didn't say you are weird. It's Them. :)

"Them" being all the crybaby little F-wits who somehow feel that if the FreeStuff free stuff isn't qite up to their needs, and there's too much of it, too soon... or if it becomes a chore for the seekers of legitimate FreeCrud to have to wade through a veritable cesspool of "free-but-not-quite-what-I-wanted-and-possibly-overkill..."

Them. They who make FreeCrap for the purpose of highlighting their ablities and flooding the FreeSh*t pages with it, hoping that it'll help to sell their Not-Free Poserjunk... or those who simply benefit from hits on their pages.

In any event, this is the only online 3D digital outlet mart I have yet seen where people can get together and agree there's too much and too little at the same time. Like I said, y'all are weird. ;)

hewee ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 11:23 PM

Yes I am see the very same thing uploaded top freestuff again.

Go to the page 1 and 3 of whats new and your see the very same "Fairy Alphabet" listed.
Well on page 3 it has 3 of them so one is missing there but there is all 4 on page 1 right now. So what was uploaded yesterday is uploaded again today but for the one that was missed yesterday.
If you go to http://www.sharecg.com/pf/joypauline?PSID=5921d346ed5f07613b8fa6e2ebdac1e9 your see they are the same. 

hewee ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 2:44 AM

I should say joypauline uploads that are on the 1st page now had more of the same 3 or 4 pages back. They are listed as "2D -> Original Clip Art" in the one group and as "2D -> Tubes/Nozzles/Sprays" in the other but there are just the one group at sharecg.com site.

Bea ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 7:52 PM · edited Sun, 05 August 2007 at 7:53 PM

I see we have 26 uploads by the same person on the same day. (5th of August) I thought this wasn't allowed :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.