Fri, Sep 20, 8:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 7 SR 2.1 now available!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 3:00 AM

Quote - Has anyone that has installed SR2.1 noticed a difference in render speed. Not exactly sure but I think it's rendering slower or taking longer to start rendering. I don't remember SR2.0 taking as long but I might be mistaken.
Would like to hear what others think about this.
Other than that, it seems to be working fine for me.

I haven't gotten around to installing it yet or I'd be glad to answer you. Just been busy doin' other things.

jugoth ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 7:17 AM

Well after having poser 7 patch 1 take out poser most probably the registry poser 6 was slow, and 7 became slow, installed this latest patch and speed fast no probs, lot's characters on.
Then tried to do somit with g2 male genital and wamb bam zam poser 7 slows  to a crawl and even poser 6 crashed 3 times after 7 patch, is a way round just format hard drive reinstall windows but copy p7 and 6 to dvd or  hard drive but don't reinstall.
I look forward to the day Chinese company buys e-on a e-frontier and sack the American programmers and put programers in who no how to do compression, some thing American commercial programmers have never been able to do for 30 years.
I remember 30 years ago and even later at computer trade shows the American software houses stated, that the American games players can afford to keep upgrading hard drives, and if compression used game would take up less hard drive and memory, and American games public wont buy games.
So while British programmers led way in compression other programmers from other country's followed us, but not yanks as seems compression to advanced for their commercial programmers.
So give vue and poser to foreign programmers who no how to use pc memory and compres.

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:53 AM

Well, if it will help allay any doubts about the SR2_1 installation, I've managed to get my Poser 7 SR2 updated to SR2_1.  Works all right so far.

Eternal Hobbyist

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:20 AM

Good to know infinity. Now to others whom may know do I have to install all the prior SR releases before I can install 2.1 or can I just go right to 2.1?

Many thanks!

My Facebook Page

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 11:03 AM

According to the readme you don't need to have the previous patches installed. This one brings it all up to date, which frankly any good and decent patch should do.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 11:06 AM

I really like the part where this newest patch adresses the Nvivdia grapics cards that in itself is a plus!

My Facebook Page

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 1:38 PM

LOL! Glad to see I'm not the only one who Typo's Nvidia a lot! :tt2:

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 2:02 PM

Quote - LOL! Glad to see I'm not the only one who Typo's Nvidia a lot! :tt2:

LOL! I was thinking of changing to an ATi card just so I wouldn't misspell it.

My Facebook Page

RainbowGypsy ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 2:54 AM

This may sound like a stupid questions but I just bought Poser 7, will it have the new service releases or do I have to download them and apply them????

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 3:04 AM
Forum Moderator

Download should have them, DVD will likely need to be updated. You only need to download the latest update and the content update.

To check if you have the latest build go Help > About ...

The current build number in 7.0.2.132

RainbowGypsy ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 4:01 PM

Thanks Nerd!!

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 5:01 PM

Does this new SR fix saving to a runtime across a network ?

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 6:18 PM
Forum Moderator

I didn't know that was broke, I do that all the time. Is the runtime on a "Mapped Drive" or just in network neighbor hood. I always use letters for network drives that may make a difference.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 6:19 PM

Quote - Does this new SR fix saving to a runtime across a network ?

likewise I do it all the time.. I've got my poser folders shared and I map a drive to them from the other machines...

Tomsde ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:57 AM

The support for Poser is much improved since e-frontier acquired them than it was under Curious Labs.  Poser 5 was so full of bugs when it came out that I stopped using it--it took them about 2 years to rolls out all the patches for it. (I think there were only 2).  At least we're getting patches in a timely fashion now, waiting months (or in some cases weeks) instead of years.  I've seen consistent improvements in Poser with each new update.

Patches aren't an e-frontier invention, it's rare (or even non-existant) that a program doesn't have any.  Even Photoshop gets patches.  I'm just glad they are working on things.

Has anyone else had the Poser to Photoshop CS3 Extended script not work?  Since I installed the last 2 patches it doesn't work at all.  Even when it did work, I've gotten mixed results.  Oh, BTW, node based shaders (or procedurals) aren't really accepted by Photoshop--it doesn't know how to interpret them.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 12:03 PM · edited Mon, 30 July 2007 at 12:04 PM

I've always mapped my runtime drive to the same drive letter on each machine so that even if it does save something with an absolute drive refence it works from machine to machine. I find using drive letters that are hard to reach work the best. In other words Drive G or later in the alphabet in case Winodws uses up ther first few with mutiple hard drives and other devices. Now that we have all these memory card drives as well, the further down the alphabet you assign the easier it will be to maintain. If you're having trouble saving across the network, you might want to make sure you have all the permissions on the drive set properly.

uli_k ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 9:09 PM

Quote -
Has anyone else had the Poser to Photoshop CS3 Extended script not work?  Since I installed the last 2 patches it doesn't work at all.  Even when it did work, I've gotten mixed results.  Oh, BTW, node based shaders (or procedurals) aren't really accepted by Photoshop--it doesn't know how to interpret them.

You might want to check this knowledge base article: www.e-frontier.com/article/view/2302/1/861/

If the exporter doesn't load, the updated file from that article will help. If textures don't show in Photoshop it might be that they are larger than what your graphics hardware supports. In that case you would have to shrink them a bit to get them to show.

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 6:51 AM

I am having trouble with the textures not coming over when using Poser to export even when I have upgraded and replaced the file that was mentioned above.  :(

In the meantime I have no problem exporting from Daz Studio using the U3D export option, textures come over with no problem doing that.  I hope eventually Poser will have a U3D export option or Collada, I think that would work better than the .obj export script.

sixus1 ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 10:44 AM

The permissions work for everything else okay, but I will double check....and it worked fine before the upgrade...that is what made me think in was P7. 

Thanks for the info, 
Rebekah

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 10:14 AM

I installed all the updates including SR2.1, now I'm having all sorts of problems, is there any way to uninstall the updates?

kayjay97 ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 10:17 AM

I would lik eto know if there s a way to uninstall it too without having to reinstall P7 all over again

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 10:40 AM

Nope I totally removed Poser 7 after this patch made it impossible to reopen PZ3 files from the windows "My Recent Documents" menu and made it so unstable that Poser 7 would no longer open at all after having tried to load a PZ3 in this manner. I'll stick to Zbrush for my morphs, Mimic for my animating speech and Poser 6 which works and, with my special hacks, includes the Faceroom capabilities for the Poser 7 G2 figures! If I reinstall it at all, I'll skip this patch as it affected not just Poser 7 but Poser 6 as well.

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 10:04 AM

Against my better judgment, I installed the SR2 patch. The good news? It didn't screw up P7 even worse. The bad news? It didn't fix anything I care about.

A waste of bandwidth, unless you specifically encounter a problem that it specifically claims to fix. Why? Because it's pretty obvious, from my own experience and reading these threads, that the real bug in P7 is that it's so system dependent that it offers up unique messes to each of us. I have reported bugs that I can trigger, and nobody else is seeing them. "Must be your computer." Right, and of all the applications I use every day, "my computer" is only screwing up one. Reminds me of the time the MS Shills in Tech Support told me that the reason Windows 3.1 accidentally wiped out my hard disk [we're talking lost partition, for Dog's sake] during the install was that I had a non-standard [Logitech 3-button] mouse. Oh dopey me.
M

BladeWolf ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 10:43 AM · edited Sun, 05 August 2007 at 10:46 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

This update still hasn't fixed the infamous memory leak. I still get it if I try to render in firefly, and NOW, with the update installed, the memory leak has moved to include the Poser 4 scanline renderer!

Come on EF! Get with the damned program and fix REAL BUGS. This bug has been here since Poser 5, and has never been addressed.

Here's my system spec;s:

Laptop

2.0ghz Core 2 Duo 667 FSB
2 GB DDR2 667mhz
2x 160GB HD's
GeForce 8700 M GT 512mb graphics card, dedicated.

Desktop

2.4ghz Athlon X2 4600
3 GB DDR400
120gb HD
200gb HD
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

I know its not my hard ware, nore is it my memory. I build my own computers, save for my laptop. I'd know if there was anything amiss with either system as ram errors don't care what program is run, if it hits that sector in the memory, error.

I'm sick of the run around and the tech support telling me its my computer, my user level, blah blah. DAZ Studio doesn't have this problem, and I can render whatever the hell I want without a problem. Poser has advanced a lot over the last three years, but its also gone down hill. Anyone else still having the loveable memory leak bug?

uli_k ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 12:45 PM

At this point (SR2.1), we're not aware of any memory leaks. If you have a scene that exposes one, please submit it to e frontier tech support via www.e-frontier.com/go/emailtech and specify what action (posing, simulating, rendering) leaks. We'll then investigate the issue.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 12:57 PM

I installed all the updates including SR2.1, now I'm having all sorts of problems, is there any way to uninstall the updates?

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 1:03 PM · edited Sun, 05 August 2007 at 1:05 PM

I'm not really haveing any problems with SR2.1 but the thing I can't figure is why they don't get Poser do to some of the things that Vue or Bryce can do....like something as simple as water or an ocean. Vue and Bryce can render water that looks like water. If Poser would compete with these other programs, there might be more Poser users but as it is now, they are actually driving people to other programs to do things that Poser can't. Lights are another things that Poser doesn't do well but other programs do. Even DAZ Studio which is free and do some things better that Poser does.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 1:22 PM

'Poser' by difination, is a 'figure' program that can do  scenes, rather than a 'scene' program that does figures.

Yep, lighting could use work.

uli_k ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 2:00 PM

Quote - I installed all the updates including SR2.1, now I'm having all sorts of problems, is there any way to uninstall the updates?

There is no direct way of uninstalling just one update. Please contact e frontier tech support and describe the problems you're experiencing. They will also be able to tell you how to reinstall with minimal effort.

BladeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 2:45 PM

Sadly Uli its whenever I try to render. Been this way since Poser 5. Its been addressed on these forums for 3 years now, its a serious issue, but everyone from e-frontier, e-whoeverownsPoserthismonth has poo-pood it, and blames the user for it.

this is why I pose all my stuff in poser, and then port it to daz. Daz doesnt have this "covered up" memory leak. If it did, I can tell you, DAZ would address it and take care of it.

uli_k ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 3:01 PM

BladeWolf, we might have a different understanding of what a memory leak is. To make sure we're on the same page - I go by this definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Again, I'm not aware of the problem you are experiencing. If you want us to do something about it, we need a very detailed description (what render engine, what app preferences) and a scene that reproduces the problem. If the problem occurs with any scene, it might make sense to go over your system settings with tech support (virtual memory, user rights, etc.).

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 3:03 PM

I've been running P7 SR2.1 for awhile now.  No problems to report.  Only improvements.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

BladeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 3:36 PM

My system is not the problem it does it on both my desktop, laptop, my mom's computer, and my cousins computer. This is not isolated, and or a system problem. Tech support doesnt do anything to help with the problem.

I will submit a scene, as it happens with either Firefly or Poser 4 Scanline renderer. I will try and get a screenshot of this error as well. It has to due with Textures and memory. On these forums it has been known as a memory leak.

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 7:54 PM

Right now, I'm working on a scene containing 4 paddlewheel riverboats each with a polygon count of about 140000 as they were 3ds files (and each with different textures), a seawater shader by bagginsbill, 1 square with texture, 1 IBL light and 1 infinate light, 16 smoke props and 4 steam props. So far, Poser 7 isn't giving me any problems at all and renders this scene faster than Poser 6 does. And, I'm not through with it yet.

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 8:12 PM · edited Mon, 06 August 2007 at 8:12 PM
Forum Moderator

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Counting The conforming figures there are 42 plus 5 or 6 cloth sims. Renderd in FF with reflections, RT Shadows and DOF. Earlier builds had trouble with this scene but it rendes now.

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 7:31 AM

Quote - ... the thing I can't figure is why they don't get Poser do to some of the things that Vue or Bryce can do....

Sadly, this is exactly what's wrong with Poser. Instead of fixing truly brain-dead problems, like failures of the interface or memory leaks, they keep adding more goodies. As a marketing strategy, it works. I hate to give up the one or two improvements I use, just because the rest the program is dreck. And when they come up with "8 new goodies" for P8, a lot of us will forgive the crud, or tell ourselves -- for at least the fourth time -- that this time they'll fix this and that, too. And hey, we really, really NEED background displacement!!!

Meantime, Poser rattles along, a disintregating Edsel with a newly polished and detailed Porsche body.

M

BladeWolf ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 10:42 AM

Maybe its time for someone like Autodesk or Adobe to buy poser. At least then we would have truly stable performance, a great render engine with alot of the stuff of the big boys, and it still be affordable. And imagine is Autodesk bought it... out of the box exporting to Max! drools

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 11:08 AM · edited Tue, 07 August 2007 at 11:23 AM

Quote - Maybe its time for someone like Autodesk or Adobe to buy poser.

If Adobe bought Poser, then Poser would cost around $1000.  If Autodesk bought Poser, then Poser would cost around $3000.  So......it's just as well for the sake of the hobbyist market that neither one of those companies have bought Poser.

Poser isn't anywhere near as bad of a software package as some make it out to be.  No -- it isn't MAX: but MAX doesn't cost under $300.  IMO, for what Poser does it's more than worth the pittance that it costs.

Personally, I've had some bumps in the road with Poser 7 -- lke a few crashes back when the program first came out.  But I haven't experienced that again since SR1.  And Poser doesn't have the best rendering capabilities in the world........but that's why a program like Vue is a great addition to Poser.  Vue6I costs considerably more than P7, but if you can afford it: Vue6I can greatly expand your 3D horizons.

By no means is this intended as a slam on Poser -- for what Poser does, and for the small amount of money that it costs: Poser is a fantastic deal.  If all that we had in the 3D world was defined by MAX, Maya, Lightwave, et al.......then most weekend-warrior hobbyists wouldn't be in this game.

Poser is fun.  Or at least it's fun for me.  If I was as miserable over Poser as some others -- then I think that I'd look for another way to invest my time......doing something that I actually enjoyed doing.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

nerd ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 1:45 PM
Forum Moderator

Adobe GOD no00000! If Adobe owned it not only would is cost thousands but it would be bloated to the point of ridiculous. Lets take adobe reader as an example of the fine programming skills there: Acrobat reader : 20+ MB takes abouit 45 seconds to launch. Foxit Reader, an acrobat clone: 4 MB launch time 0.5 seconds. Then there's Max, Max 9 abandoned all previous plugins. While I'm sure it's very profitable for all the plugin vendors, I'm not buying updates for all my plugins thank you very much. I can imagine how much Poser would be if Autodesk owned it, but I bet we would all be shopping at TurboSquid and thinking we were geting a great deal paying $300 for a model of a basket ball.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 7:47 PM

I understand Poser Pro is coming out soon, I haven't seen a price yet..

BladeWolf ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 9:12 PM

Poser 7 Pro? Hope they fixed some bugs :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.