Mon, Oct 21, 10:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Terragen vs Vue

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:42 AM · edited Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:44 AM

Chip - the latest series is absolutely great.

Two things you may want to twak to achieve even more greatness.

• More variations in that green layer. The green itself is 'unnatural' and very uniform. The altitude band is very visible. It sounds picky but the lighting and rock really make me feel like this is a scene from the mediterranean and there is no grass this green at sea level there :)

• Reduce the noise in the sand

The rocks and water are spot on. Don't change them !

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 6:56 AM · edited Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:00 AM

These will be the last ones for awhile...but there are some interesting things happening. Notice in the top picture, the unnatural look of the rocks within the grass and the mountain. Even though the terrain is 2047 pixels square at 16 bits, it still needs a bit of 'smoothing' or else one gets these types of artifacts. A few quick press of the diffusive button in the terrain editor fixes the problem as seen in the bottom picture.

Also notice here you can see all the layers in the mountain fairly clearly. The grass has 5 layers and is working pretty well, though it's transition with the upper mountain texture needs blending work. The upper mountain texture is the fine brown texture while the gray rock is used for vertical slopes. The beach texture is shown with a fine bump, and there's also a very small shoreline 'blending' texture which is white . I need to add an underwater texture as well so the water can be transparent. Lastly, at the very top of the mountain, is yet another rock texture, which could be replaced easily by snow.

impish ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:16 AM

Wow.  You've really moved this on in the last few days.  Great work :-)

My next suggestion isn't really a comment on what you've done so far so much as a what if...

Has anyone managed to get ecosystems that populate based on the distance to the camera?  The down side is we would  need to repopulate the ecosystem for each camera angle.  The advantage would be you could have ecosystem grass close to the camera without having to have it way off in the distance where it isn't really adding anything.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:16 AM · edited Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:17 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Mark, I know what you mean about how addictive this stuff can be! I wish I could call in sick today too!  Is the AisleFX DVD any good? I purchased the last 'advanced' version and it was the worst 100 bucks I've ever spent. Nothing advanced in the whole set, and IMO not very professional. I tried contacting them about it but they wouldn't get back to me. Bummer. Let me know how they work for you.

The real trick in all of this is to figure out how to create textures which scale well. They need to look good up close and also good from a distance. That's the tough part. See how TG does it, they have a great fractal model-- sadly there's not a similar one that I can figure out in Vue. I have found a couple of functions which do have some value, but still aren't quite what TG has.

Also, TG's terrains rock. Their default terrain has nice mountains PLUS it has a natural slope down to the water, which is IMO difficult to do in Vue. Vue's terrain editor could use a bit of help by just looking how easy it is to create terrains in TG. Don't get me wrong, rendering in TG is tedious at best, but they do some things very well...especially their handling of material layers. Their notion of child layers is similar to mixed materials and layers, but easier to use and IMO understand.

agiel, I'm not sure about the grass being too uniform, but I'll take a crack at making a more splotchy version. I think the grass works better up close than in the distance...perhaps needs a bit of a tweak there. Grass is the hardest. I agree, the green is perhaps too green. Fact is I've already unsaturated it once from the original values as set in TG...maybe need to try again. Perhaps a bit more 'yellow' on the slopes.

The sand could be softer, but IMO the detail in it helps. I need to have a variety of tweaked MATS that can be loaded interchangeably.

Monsoon ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:49 AM

Attached Link: Mojopac

Actually I think the Asile disk is ok....I only paid 45 for the download....I got it so I could see illustrations of what ALL of the parameters and buttons do.  There's many aspects of the editor that I couldn't grasp from Vue's documentation but to see them in action helps much as yours and jc's tutorials do.  Some aspects I simply left alone because I was used to doing things the old V4 way...the old dog, new tricks thing.

For instance, in the function editor I really couldn't figure out how the nodes work together, y'know..where to put what, and hook it to what,  to get such and such effect. Now it's much clearer...last night I spent 3 hours just playing with color production nodes which I'd never touched before. Subsurface scattering is another one I stayed away from. So I think, for me at least, that the disk is proving to be a big help.

I think, with graph structures like the function editor, it's a lot like reading music.  I play many instruments and write tons of songs but I can't read a note of music. It's like reading heiroglyphics to me...I can't translate the visual into the audio. In the function editor I couldn't translate all the nodes and connections into what I was seeing in the render. Now it makes a bit more sense. Guess it's a brain thing...

Now as for calling in sick...here I am at work.  However, I happened upon a way cool thing that makes sitting at my desk during idle times a great deal more tolerable. I took my Vue off of my home computer and put it on a 120gig Simpletech mini hard drive via an item called Mojopac, a kind of virtual Windows that hooks into the kernel of any host machine (where you have administrative rights) and runs alongside the host Windows and doesn't leave any footprints when you're done.  Now I can take my Vue with me in my pocket wherever I go. Take it to work and plug it in...take it home and plug it in. Just like a laptop lol....

You can also switch between the Mojo environment and the host environment with just a mouse click.  Right now I have open at work the same mat I was working on earlier at home.
Very very cool....

I must add that it works flawlessly on a mini hard drive but is much slower off of a memory stick because of the read/write times...

Ooops..here comes the boss...lol

M

LMcLean ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 10:37 AM

Awesome images Chipp! Look forward to more images and how you did this.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 1:54 PM

That's a fantastic looking terrain and mats Chipp!

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 3:53 PM

@ Monsoon....many thanx for the link to MojoPac...this may be the answer I've been lookin for re: portability as I think I may be on the road a bit come next year when my 2 cds are finished.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Monsoon ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 4:05 PM

Yup...discovered it while pining away over not being able to stay home and play with Vue. Snatched a copy up right away and it works like a charm!  Breaktime....into Vue :)

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 5:37 PM

Quote - Take it to work and plug it in...take it home and plug it in. Just like a laptop lol....

Wow, coolio. Sounds pretty sweet. Now that I've actually gotten some sleep, and the weekend is here...I'll be back at it again. Just discovered some new nodes which I want to try out.

-Chipp

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:29 PM

agiel,

I've tweaked the grass a bit, killed some of the saturation. Here it is on a hilly countryside at varying distances and resolutions.

Bea ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 4:14 AM

This is a fascinating thread thanks :)

dburdick ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 12:59 PM

Chipp,

Looking good.  The one thing you may want to add is a "Distance to Camera" node for the grass bump and then add a noise (Like a fine Granite node) to boost the foreground bump.

Daniel1705 ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 1:02 PM

I've been trying to recreate the Terragen Surface look for quite a while. This image is the closest I've come so far (I did not care about the overall look of the image, it was just for testing:

Recently I experimented again with some alpha layers and an ecosystem. The picture below is not yet finished (e.g. the mountains in the background and the whole object placement) , but it's interesting nonetheless what you can achieve with Terragen-like materials and Ecosystems at the same time.

I have a Tutorial in the works about the discoveries I made. But compared to Chipp's images my attempts seem to be rather foolish.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 2:19 PM · edited Sat, 25 August 2007 at 2:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=bobbystahr

Actually your efforts, in many respects, are quite similar to some I have in my gallery tho they were done in TG2 not old Terragen .9xxx, and a very nice bit of work they are as well my friend.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 2:31 PM

Bobby - I took the liberty to edit the link in your post to get it to the right page.

joechip ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 3:18 PM

Mountains at no extra cost and really quite good if your prepared to put i some time at it..

For Monsoons SeaVue users Only.

Create a new terrain.

I immediately resize this to about one quarter of the main ground quadrant.

Keep the main camera very low , for now.

Click for the terrain editor.

Go to picture and click.

Browse to the Dir Seavue / Wavemaps and select a map........roughswell4 was the one i used in my images.......maybe.

Load the map at %50 blend.

Clip the terrain to end of black texture colour in the editor.

Okay it ......drop the terrain to the ground and then just move the terrain about until you get a good view.

Move in , out , up , down and anywhere else you can think of.

Add textures and ........you have mountain ranges.

All of the above can be altered and experimented with at a whim.

Different results can be had .

Its all about texturing and experimenting .........and turning the terrain to suit , camera angles, heights etc
Just experiment..........everything cannot be on a plate.

joechip

I have Vob files if anyone wants to try.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 4:14 PM

Many thanx agiel...a bit brain dead this morn...in a cluster migraine loop.....

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Monsoon ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 4:32 PM

Attached Link: Caustics Generator

Thanks Joe for those good mountain steps....

For those that don't already have any ready made maps, you can get Caustics Generator at the link. It's a cool tool to keep in your art box.

Practice for a bit and see what all the settings do and then save one out for export.

Take it into Photoshop and add gaussian blur to taste...

Proceed to Vue.....

Or....use Photoshop's cloud filter and make a fractal grayscale layer and combine them for some great terrain play.

Now, I'm not sure about how to get things to 16bit....I wound up there yesterday but how is a blur...I think I saved as .psd, then switched modes to something and then to rgb. Can't remember.....maybe Chipp could lend a hand here.

At any rate, you can make great sand dunes the same way...

M

Monsoon ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 4:36 PM

And Daniel...you can't have foolish attempts in our craft or in the communities...can't be done. Every step counts (in one direction or another lol..)

I think those look fab and are a great addition to our little workshop here.....

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 5:05 PM

Mark,

Here's how to get 16-bit images from Photoshop into Vue...Make sure they're 16-bit grayscale BEFORE you do all this!

I also have some new images to upload....but not yet ready.

joechip ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 1:56 AM

Thanks Mark for the link to the caustic generator.

Here is an example of an image done using the wavemap method.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1508043

All the mountains in the background , the island and the foreground in this image are from one terrain.
A 1024x1024 terrain made using my method above.
Some clipping and assorted effects used too.
Its not a perfect method but is quick to do in Vue ..........and can produce some nice results.

joechip

Monsoon ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 6:08 AM

Chipp...It was converting a 16bit RAW image from Terragen to 16bit tiff in PS that gave me pause...but then I've been having a whole weekend of senior moments lol......

spedler ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 6:37 AM

I've also been experimenting with getting the 'TG look' in Vue for a while. The image is the best I have to far. The terrain is from GeoControl, saved from Vue as a 16 bit TIF, then worked on a little in Photoshop with levels and smart sharpen. This is kind of a test image which I go back to from time to time, so if you've seen it before, apologies!

I'm after the knife-edge mountain look and I'm sure this can be improved on, so the Vue file is available here if anyone wants it. Feel free to alter it as desired. There's nothing copyright in it.

Steve

lam2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 1:09 PM

Oh, my goodness!  I just have to thank all of you for this incredible thread.
Extremely engaging and interesting. I'm amazed.

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 1:39 PM

Gets to show you it's not necessarily the tool, but how you use it :) Very nice landscapes !

lam2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 2:34 PM

agiel, I agree with you completely.

joechip ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 2:38 PM

file_386319.jpg

Another example of wave method. Not meant to be finished image but an idea of results that can be acheived. This used caustic generator to get the wavemap file.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:39 PM

Quote - Chipp...It was converting a 16bit RAW image from Terragen to 16bit tiff in PS that gave me pause...but then I've been having a whole weekend of senior moments lol......

Mark, you're too young to be having 'senior moments!'

Here's how to export from Terragen 0.9x

1. First set the size of the terrain you wish to export. Click the "Size..." button in the Landscape window and choose the size you wish to export to. I recommend at least 513, preferably higher. Write down the value you choose. Note: the free version of Terragen 0.9x only support resolutions no greater than 513.

2. Generate a terrain. I like the default "Subdvide & Displace II" method. Then press the "Export..." button. Choose "Raw 16 bits Intel Byte-Order" from the "Export Method" dropdown. Press "Select File and Save..."

3. Launch Photoshop and choose open, and select the .raw file you just created.

4. It should open the file and automatically select the correct dimensions for you. You need to set the Count to "1" and the Depth to "16 Bits" and the Byte Order to "IBM PC". Then press OK.

5. Now you can check the image under Photoshop's Image menu -> Mode -> Grayscale and 16-bits should be selected. Just save as a 16-bit TIFF from here and open as per above in Vue.

HTH, Chipp

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:49 PM

JoeChip, Great post on the conversion of wave maps to terrains. A couple of other suggestions along this line:

Caustics Generator creates 8-bit BMP files, so you can convert them to 16-bit files (better resolution) by opening them in Photoshop and using the following technique (which works for converting any 8-bit images to 16-bit images)

This technique should also work pretty well to remove artifacting created by JPG files. It's not a good idea to use JPG files for terrain creation as even the smallest amount of artifacting can be problematic.

1. Convert the Mode (Under Image menu) to Grayscale and 16 bits/channel.

2. Resize the image 400%: Image menu->Image Size Make sure you check "Resample Image: Bicubic"

3. Gaussian Blur the image with a value of 20 (larger or smaller depending on image size)
    Resize the image back to original size: 25%

You should now be good to go with your new terrain map. You may wish to consider adding a bit of noise after step 2 as well, or an unsharp mask after step 3. Salt and pepper to taste.

HTH,

Chipp

eldritch48 ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 5:04 PM

Don't guess anyone out there wants to convert Caustics Generator to a mac program...I remember someone did it for the Ivy Generator a while back, so I know it's possible...

hoping

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 8:26 PM

Here are some of my latest images. I've updated the textures and have also rendered in different atmospheres. Also, I've used a different terrain imported from Terragen. Check out image 5 as it has a couple of ecoSystems applied.

Keep in mind, most all of these images rendered in less than 10 minutes on my 4 computer renderfarm-- and between 10 and 30 minutes at 1600 x 900 resolution on a single dual core XP machine.

Click an image to view it larger.

I'm planning on uploading the scene with lots of textures, multiple terrain maps and complete editing instruction to C3D soon.

best, Chipp

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 8:31 PM

Wow ! They look fantastic !

CobraEye ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 9:55 PM

Yes, that is awesome looking and inspiring as well. Thanks

jc ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 11:05 PM

Wow! What a great pioneering effort! I learned a ton of stuff! 
Thanks Chipp, Monsoon, Joechip, Dave & all.

Lots of things to try...

lam2 ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 2:55 AM

I can't believe it. They are just so astonishing!
All those imges look so real and beautiful that I want to go there, right now.
Wow. This is magic.

Bea ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 3:12 AM

They look excellent

Monsoon ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 4:05 AM

Freakin' awesome Chipp!!!!  Bravo!

BernieStafford ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 4:13 AM

I've been watching this thread for a while now, & just wanted to drop in to say what superb images those are!

Thanks for all of the tips & learning points to everybody who is contributing - some remarkable stuff going on here!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 7:05 AM

OUtstanding work in this thread!  Thanks to all :)

jpappas ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 6:29 PM

Chipp,

The last pics are your best yet!  You were aiming for Terragen and are going beyond it.  You've  done good. 

-Jim

chippwalters ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:03 PM

Hey guys, I'm busy putting the final touches on the 'TerraPak', but I've got a few beta testers who are already doing some amazing work with it. Perhaps Monsoon will post one of his creations up here-- truly amazing.

-Chipp

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 4:40 AM

file_386486.jpg

The Terragen look and feel is masterfully captured using these tools and techniques.....Bravo Chipp!

There was a couple of skinny dippers in this pool a little while ago.......:)

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 6:44 AM

O.O

Damn, that's amazing

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

wabe ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 10:06 AM

file_386499.jpg

When Monsoon...  As Monsoon I just added some animals a package scene and here we go. Very cool stuff Chipp!

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

Powertec ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 11:10 AM

Hey! I wanna play!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 11:24 AM

Looking forward to this pack  - the work here is superb.  Also looking forward to looking into how you accomplished this!

lam2 ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 12:33 PM

Monsoon--What a great looking image!

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 3:01 PM

file_386518.jpg

Wait till you guys get a hold of this......one of the coolest things about Chipp's Terra mats is the fractal and scaling attributes. Here's a scaling sample......the terrain in the rock pool has the same mat as every other background terrain...I didn't touch a thing. The only terrain that has a different mat is the one under the pool. 

The rocks on either side and the stone pool are the same mat with bump and fractals played with....

Awesome fun here....!!

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 4:53 PM

file_386529.jpg

Another....going for some Biblical proportions here........

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.