Sat, Aug 3, 11:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: Some thoughts on textures for V2

soulhuntre ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 4:49 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 5:07 AM

Hey all :) Well, I took took the plunge and bought "Bobbi Sue" from the marketplace. A great map and a nice character. In comparing her with the high rez maps from DAZ I noticed a few things - then in asking a few questions about "Shelby" I started thinking about other things. First, some short thoughts.... * The DAZ v2 maps Well done - but flawed. The face/head maps are not the same color base as the body maps as far as I can see. This means that the head is a different color (more yellow). Very uncool and sadly that makes them useless for me. On the bright side, they DO use the V2 eyebrows to correct effect, and this gives them soem advantages. The extra resolution is also incredibly useful. * Bobbi Sue A well done texture - the details on the hands and feet in particular are amazing. The makeup is all good and the eyes rock! On the downside, the texture is very dark. I think it is supposed to be that way - I just need to play with the lights till I get what I want. The only problem with THAT is that poser then looks very washed out as I pose and texture the character and scene. There is no specific support for the V2 eyebrows - so I had to make my oen texturemap and transmaps to get it to happen the way I need it to. * General Thoughts The eyebrows on V2 are not really being used yet - and that is way too bad. They add an incredible amound of realism to the head during close ups. Having the eyebrows paintes right on the head is fine from a distance - but for close up work it falls 'flat'. The V2 eyebrows solve that - but rasing the eyebrows away from the head on a bubble of geometry they add an extra dimentsion to the character - and a lot of realism. I would urge those making character texture maps to use and support the V2 geometry with eyebrow maps.

Jaager ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 6:21 PM

Eyebrows: for almost a year, I had a series of textures and transmaps for the UpperEyebrows at Morph World. I included instructions and invited those with more skill to do me better. There was not one instance of response, positive or negative. A wasted effort it seems. As far as a match at the neck, wrists, middle of the head and ankles: the resolution on the two sides of the matchup are different. Even if you clone an identical texture on either side, there will be a noticable difference. The concentration of pixels applied is different because of the way it is mapped. I am not saying that DAZ used an identical texture on either side at the neck. I have not looked closely yet. But even if they had, there would be some difference. A mismatch between the head and body is not an infrequent occurance. PP8 has an excellent clone function. Blending can be done. Perhaps the texture artist at DAZ expects you to use a base color adjustment for the matchup. If you go very easy on it, not too much detail in the texture is obsured.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 6:35 PM

"Perhaps the texture artist at DAZ expects you to use a base color adjustment for the matchup. If you go very easy on it, not too much detail in the texture is obsured." You might well be right... I will go and take a look at that... I know they use such adjustments ont he body to provide several skin tones... (I think)...

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 10:48 PM

Jaager, I've always used and loved your upper eyebrow sets. -WTB

milamber42 ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 11:36 PM

Jaager, What is the url to the upper eyebrow sets??

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 12:45 AM

They are not presently available. Since I have gotten no response, except WTB's right above, I didn't think there was much point in putting them up again. Thank you WTB.

Xena ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 8:54 AM

Oh dear, my humblest apologies Jaager. I've been using your eyebrow trans and tex every since I first got them. AND I have always recommended them to everyone. From Brooke Shields bushy brows, right up to heavily plucked stylish brows, the range is complete. I think the biggest problem is not many people seem to know how to use eyebrow trans on the UpperEyebrows. And they are all missing out. The best realism can be had. So please know Jaager, you have a HUGE fan here s There have been many, many times that your trans have come in extremely handy. Thank you. Cheers, Xena

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 9:46 AM

I agree... I would be THRILLED to have the set for my renders here. Jaager, if there is any way I can beg... let me know :)

nikitacreed ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 11:58 AM

I would like to try those eyebrows. I guess I wasn't around when they were up on Morphworld, because I never saw them.:o( If I liked them I surely would have let you know.

BAM ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 12:47 PM

Jaager, I think there are a number of reasons you didn't get many responses. First until recently textures and transmaps for the UpperEyebrows were not that important. With the release of V2 and those ugly default caterpillars people have had to come up with a replacement. Second, I don't believe Morphworld has the traffic of a place like this. I would not have thought of going there for eyebrow textures. In addition, I don't think that people have gotten to the point of understanding how to deal with morphs and thus have found little reason to go there. We need better manuals and more tutorials! Third, I think people are having great difficulty working with textures and transmaps. If you look at the messages on this board you'd find that a great number deal with how to apply them and what settings within the renderer to use to make them look good. Artists offer these things up, but fail to provide documentation as to how to use them to their greatest effect. So people either don't download them or download them and let them take up hard drive space Fourth, storage and retrieval of textures, transmaps, bumpmaps, props, figures is an absolute nightmare. Fifth, I think artists (and others) tend to have high expectations for acknowledgement of their contributions (I'm not being critical, simply providing an observation). Poser hobbyists tend to download and use within their own hobby world and not display their work. Your effort is never "wasted" if it has intrinsic value to you. Please add me to the list of someone who'd be interested in downloading these textures and transmaps.

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 6:10 PM

OK, I will do the HTML and chance doing this on my dime and not Render's. When I do, I will say so here - this thread. The link will be from the lobby a Club Vicki - there are a couple of tutorials there now. I think standing on the parapet and wavying a banner would invite disaster. My page here has a link to Club Vicki.

nikitacreed ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 9:52 PM

Many thanks Jaager! I will be watching this thread then!

Jaager ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 5:13 AM

Ok, the textures are up. Just click Jaager in Affiliated Artists and go to Club Vicki

nikitacreed ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 12:36 PM

Thank you Jaager! I am off to play with them! :o) I really appreciate it! They look great!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.