Thu, Sep 19, 5:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: OT: Southern California Fires, hope rendo people are okay!

EricJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 10:50 PM

It's the caffine in the coffee that helps.

Boofy ( ) posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 11:02 PM

*exerpts from an article I read.

While doctors will never advise drinking coffee as the sole treatment for asthmatic symptoms as they did hundreds of years ago. They do agree that the caffeine found in coffee is particularly beneficial in an emergency situation. Evidence shows that people have used coffee in situations where inhalers were completely unavailable, such as when on vacations and on an airplane. Coffee is particularly useful in these situations, as the patients might otherwise suffer serious consequences due to their inability to breathe properly.

Coffee has a component in it called Theobromine, which is a bronchial dilator. It's not as potent as a typical ashtmatic brochodilator, such as albuterol. It's helps if there is no inhaler nearby and one absolutely needs some help clearing the airways.

Dajadues ( ) posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 11:55 PM · edited Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:01 AM

I'm saying this flatout. Every year it's the samething. You people insist on building where fires are likely to happen. Why??? Why for the love of god don't you allow loggers to  thinout your forest, remove the dead trees and under brush? You tree huggers and your views and the CA laws that prevent people from cleaning brush around their yard are the cause of it.

You don't want loggers, you don't want to ruin your views so better an entire hillshide go up in flames? I dont understand this for the life of me and never will.

Clean up your yards, fire proof your dam houses and thinout your forest and you'll save the wild life and your homes at the same time but no, will never happen will it?

Every year it's the samething and this topic does not belong here. Im saying it because it's never said in these threads.

oh yea, how bout mentioning all the dead animals and wild life all up in smoke eh? This is why my my heart does not bleed for the rich in CA. You build on top of each other, make even harder for the fire men to get to you on a damn hillside as it is. No sympathy from me.

(MHO)

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:24 AM

Dajadues, this is hardly the time, and not even remotely the place for this sort of rhetoric.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

EricJ ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:08 AM

Quote - I'm saying this flatout. Every year it's the samething. You people insist on building where fires are likely to happen. Why??? Why for the love of god don't you allow loggers to  thinout your forest, remove the dead trees and under brush? You tree huggers and your views and the CA laws that prevent people from cleaning brush around their yard are the cause of it.

First off these aren't forest fires. They are brush fires. Second there are no laws against clearing brush anywhere in the San Diego county, in fact a lot of time and money is spent telling people to clear brush around their houses. In fact a lot of people do just that, which is why there haven't been nearly as many houses lost in these fires as compaired to the Cedar fire.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:52 AM · edited Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:55 AM

Daj, and all.
People are losing their homes and their lives fighting these fires...it doesn't matter how much the homes cost, or how much money one has in their pocket, how many trees and shrubs one has in their yard or on their property...it matters not where people live. Fires happen all over the place.

And as far as Im concerned, this topic belongs here just like any other..this is a community, and this is where many people/family and friends can get word to one another..I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to be here.

So please everyone, lets not complain..lets be here for our fellow man and just wish everyone over there safety.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 2:01 AM

Dajadues:

While I agree that undergrowth has to be cleared and I think that anyone who doesnt should hold a faulty hose at the firefront as they contemplate the consequences of the lack of action!

The rest of your rant is totally uncalled for! Maybe this stuff is 'never said' because most people dont enjoy kicking others when they are down!!!

People often have no choise as to where they live, it usually ties in with that thing called work, and everywhere has some form of disaster from nature to spring on us....unless you can offer your safe little backyard as an alternative....put the kettle on, i take white and two.....

I do hope you are not thinking that you are the only one who cares about animals???? look at peoples' galleries and even an avatar or three and I think you will find that you are not a solo voice there!

Hang on....you mentioned animals. Glad you have some feeling then. But you act/sound as if no one else does. That is not so. Look at the galleries and an atavar or three. EVERYONE hates animals being killed and hurt.

As for the 'rich in CA' that your heart doesnt care about well what about ordinary people, people like the ones in this thread staring down the mouth of the inferno (I apologise if any here are part of the rich in CA and feel offended by the comparison)

Have a nice day Dajadues, I am sure my words will not affect your nasty disposition in the slightest.

What happened to your 350 posts in your gallery...but then again who cares?

Jenny

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 8:47 AM

Many states use controlled burns to take out underbrush, including Florida which now also has a annual Fire Season thanks to Global Warming. California issues guidelines on protecting homes by removing flammables close to the home. But that doesn't always help. One reporter showed his home burning to the ground. He did everything he was supposed to do, but you just can't fight that strong dry Santa Ana wind. Instead of cutting down trees, California should encourage homes to be built of Stone and Steel in fire hazard regions. Cutting down trees is the like throwing gasoline on a fire. It would be better to plant more trees, especially in the tropics, to help take greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere. Cutting down nature's air purifiers will only speed up Global Warming, and turn the planet into a larger version of the environmental disaster on Easter Island which killed off most of it's population. bB

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 9:19 AM · edited Thu, 25 October 2007 at 9:19 AM

Quote - You tree huggers and your views and the CA laws that prevent people from cleaning brush around their yard are the cause of it.

first off, it was years ago on all the different "tree hugger" tv shows and sites that i've seen people talk about the problem of not allowing periodic fires in forests.  which i'm sure is years after "tree hugger" writers were publishing about the problem.  loggers aren't natural, so it's not keeping them out that's the problem.  that is, it's not as if loggers preceeded the forest, so it doesn't make sense that removing them would be the root cause of the problem.  fires are natural, and apparently us preventing small ones has been part of the problem for trees in forests.  and guess what?  the "tree huggers" working in national forests very bravely and carefully try to administer controlled fires to function in a similar way.

but that's forests.  last i checked, we weren't talking about forests. and the news is saying some of the fires were caused by arson.  i'm not sure whether or not that includes people being careless with cigarette butts or campfires, or just means people maliciously starting fires (i sincerely hope it's just carelessness or foolishness), but either way, we're talking about something that isn't entirely a natural phenomena.

someone's already corrected you about your absurd claim that people are kept from clearing out brush, so i won't bother. but where in the hell did you get such a ludicrous idea?

Quote - You don't want loggers, you don't want to ruin your views so better an entire hillshide go up in flames? I dont understand this for the life of me and never will.

wha-huh? this is a brush fire.  since when is scrub brush widely considered a nice view?  and since when did trees not obstruct a view rather than creating it?  and since when did loggers clear out your brush for you?  last i checked, they cut down trees, not landscaped your community.  if you can think of a commercially viable industry that processes scrub on a large scale, i'm sure the people of California will be very interested. 

Quote - oh yea, how bout mentioning all the dead animals and wild life all up in smoke eh? This is why my my heart does not bleed for the rich in CA. You build on top of each other, make even harder for the fire men to get to you on a damn hillside as it is. No sympathy from me.

actually, i've already  got some email from "tree hugger" organizations about people going out there to help treat pets and wild life.  since you're all about taking personal responsibility, perhaps you'll apply that to yourself and find one to donate money to.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:09 PM

Some of the areas that burned around here have burned just a year ago, and had barely a year worth of vegetation on it. It's not the lack of clearing that was the problem.

When you have 60-100 mph winds and chunks of flammable material, regardless of where it came from (bush, power lines, cars erc), they're going to land somewhere, and most likely start another fire. Sort of like pissing in the wind.

When there's no winds like we had earlier in the week, theese fires in populated areas start all the time, and are put out very shortly. In brush areas, we have clearing and controlled burns all the time. Burning brush is the least of the problems. Especially in the 'heavily regulated rich areas that are burning now'. They're heavily fines, and the fire departments use the fines come to clear the flammables for you.

Like I said, when there are winds of that magnitude we had, clearing won't help much. Houses het showered with burning embers, and everything and anything that can go up in flames, does. Flowers, patio furniture, plastics, car paint (on your car)... embers fly inside the house, and anything in there, carpets, curtains, furniture... catches on fire.  With winds this strong, this can happen even without brush. It can happen from a neigbor knocking over their BBQ and catching the lawn on fire or, as we've seen happen pretty often from a car catching on fire.

Dajadues, I have no idea what you're talking about. Looks like you're very misinformed, and have fallen into ignorant stereotyping. If you're going to have a strong opinion, and would like it to be heard rather then discounted, you should base it on facts rather then sterotypes.

See, between fires, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and number of other natural and man made threats, there isn't a place on the planet that's safe from it all. For people, or animals. Dajadues, that includes you too.

I hope when you need help and emphaty, others have more grace and class then you and offer emphaty and helping hand. The person that may be in a position to help you may just be someone that has less then you, and considers you rich (compared to them). You obviously have enough of a living standard to have access to the computer and have 3D as a hobby. There's milions and milions of people around the world that don't have as much, and will consider you rich.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:57 PM · edited Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:59 PM

just to add: i just read on CNN that they think one of the major fires was deliberately set, and that its 3 starting points are now crime scenes.  and some guy was caught setting another fire.   they say they have no clues regarding motives.

sometimes i find people completely incomprehensible.  i can understand and can even on some level empathize with hurting others by succumbing to envy, greed, anger, ignorance, fear, etc.   it's terrible, but i understand.  i even understand banal reasons like conformity and keeping up appearances.  but i don't know if i can even begin to understand the thinking of someone who would deliberately cause this kind of disaster. 

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:21 PM

They caught one guy stting a fire in Big Bear, and follwed him home and arrested him.

There was one other guy, cops spotted him lighting a brush fire. He fled. When the cops chased and finally cornered him, he attacked them, tried to run them over with his car. They ended up shooting him. That 's up in San Bernardino, AFAIK.

The fire nearest me is the one that was deliberately set, with three starting points. There are at least two others (in San Diego) that were started under very suspicious circumstances. They're still looking at it before calling it arson for sure.

Makes me wonder if it's a few crazies feeding off of one another, or some sort of an organized effort... domestic or foreign terrorists? I'm sure we'll hear more about it when the worst calms down and they uncover more evidence.

Here in orange county, most of the houses that bured down aren't from rich people, they're from few small communities, low income people living ion less expensive county land, in canyons on the outskirts of town. They're not showing much of that on TV, but I'm presonally very familiar with the area.

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:48 PM

With all the millions of people in the Los Diego area, there's bound to be a handful of crazies who feel empowered when the news tells them the area is a tinderbox just waiting to go off. The same kind of madness that makes a man gun down total strangers because his life sucks can find other outlets.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 7:59 PM

Well today has been of great improvement. We are still under evacuation and there is still a fire, but compared to the last 4 days...

I will not respond to posts I have seen and read. It utterly amazes me.
Cobalt, couldn't agree more to some of the things you said.
Connie, stay ready.

I want to personally say "thank you" to those that have offered support...I am very grateful and it has helped. 
Peggy and Eric, you doing good?

Comitted to excellence through art.

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 8:27 PM

Glad things are improving for you. Keep safe and dont forget to get some shuteye while things are calm, even if you and a friend take turns to keep an eye on things. Best wishes.

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 8:40 PM

I'm coming into this thread late (sorry) but I just wanted to wish all of our California friends to stay safe and healthy. Prayers and hugs to you all - and to all the brave and tired firefighters out there.

Cheryl

~ Meow ~

EricJ ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 10:08 PM

I'm doing fine, the fires have moved away from us heading East. There is barely a trace of smoke in the air today with some haze that I'm not sure if it was smoke or if the marine layer has come back.

Of course our good news is Julian's bad news 'cause the fire is heading their way now. Hopefully these favorable weather conditions will hold long enough for the firefighters to get the fires under control.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 11:00 PM

i really hope everyone keeps being careful, staying safe, and keeping an eye out for change.  and i'm very gald things ae improving (if at least for some).

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:01 PM

Quote - My heart does not bleed for million dollar homes built on top of each other, sorry.

Unbelievable.  The rest of my comment to this person doesn't belong here so I'll just reiterate, as I stated in Lynnes thread, my hearts and prayers are with everyone affected by this.  I know what it's like to be evacuated for fires and fully expect my home and everything I own to be gone.  A few friends of mine are being sent down there to help and I hope for their safety as well.   I'm still waiting to hear from family we have down there. 

...... Kendra

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:08 PM

Hope everyone is hanging in there! DarkEdge? Peggy? Lynne? Eric? Hope you huys are out of immediate danger!
(I always forget someone, please forgive me if I did!)

It's snowing ashes around here today. The air is yucky. Everyone is coughing and sneezing and maxing out their allergy medicines and decongestants. Lot of headaches.
Hope it doesn't get much worse then this for majority. It'll be really tough on elderly and sick people.

Cinnamon369 ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 2:17 PM

Hi Everyone. We are down in the south county. If you know the area we are on the silver strand. The air seems much better today and even opened a window to get some air in. It was nice to see the sky this morning. Hope all of you are ok and doing good, be safe!!!  

We were in a pretty safe area as far as the fires go. We did get the smoke and ash from the harris fire. It's at about 50% containment last I checked. Still crossing our fingers for the people on the east side of the fire

The people here have really pulled together during this. It is truely inspiring to see how generous the people and business's here have been.  

I was here for the fires in 2003 as well and this time around there were many more fires, much larger and wider spread. Was in the Lemon Grove area back in 2003.

We have had serious drought condiditions for a few years. I believe they said this year is the dryest in 130 years. I know on CNN you are seeing mostly fancy houses and such but I assure you, many ranchers,  farms and regular folks were hard hit by this. The local coverage is covering those aspects better.

Thanks again to you all for your kind thoughts and wishes for everyone in this area! (((HUGS)))

Marianne and Family

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 4:49 PM

We are doing great today.  Mira Mesa even had about 20 drops of rain!!!  Just enough to make the street look wet for 5 minutes, but it did seem to clear the air.  The air quality is much better - I can finally take a deep breath without having a coughing fit. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 6:16 PM

Yes, we too are doing well. Evacuation was lifted yesterday so my better half is back home...yeah! I think we've gotten 22 drops so far. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

sixus1 ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 6:42 PM

Glad to hear that things are improving for you guys in CA. 

As far as any asshats go trying to make you all feel badly.....just ignore them.

--Rebekah--

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.