Mon, Sep 30, 5:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Another reason to own Carrara 6Pro...

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 6:25 AM · edited Thu, 26 September 2024 at 3:11 AM

Hi folks, I just came across this press release. Hmmmmm, Carrara gets purchased by a 3d company that is aggressivly increasing it's stake in quality 3d product and solutions. Poser get's purchased by, oh, never mind. Mark ------- For immediate release: Smith Micro Software Signs Definitive Agreement Acquiring e frontier's 3D Graphic and Animation Software Solutions World-Class 3D Solutions Bolster Smith Micro's Growing Multimedia and Consumer Product Lines By BusinessWire ALISO VIEJO, Calif., BUSINESS WIRE -- Smith Micro Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:SMSI) today announced that it will add the popular e frontier 3D graphic and animation solutions Poser(R), Anime Studio(TM) and Manga Studio(TM) to its growing lineup of consumer-focused products. Smith Micro will acquire ownership and distribution rights of certain e frontier assets for $6 million in cash and anticipates the deal to be immediately accretive upon close of transaction, expected in the fourth quarter of 2007. e frontier had total revenues in excess of $7 million for their fiscal year ending March 2007. "The rapid advancement of technology has made computer animation and 3D modeling available to everyone and the animation industry is one of the hottest growth segments within the consumer marketplace," said William W. Smith, Jr., President and CEO of Smith Micro Software, Inc. "We are excited to significantly broaden our consumer portfolio with the addition of Poser, Manga Studio and Anime Studio. These popular products not only compliment our current multimedia offerings, but positions Smith Micro as a leading player in this space." Mr. Smith concluded, "As a part of this transaction we also acquired all the rights for the Aquazone product line. This includes the new Aquazone Mobile Edition that is available exclusively in Japan to NTT DoCoMo and Softbank mobile subscribers. Our goal is to capitalize on our strong presence in the wireless marketplace and introduce the Aquazone Mobile Edition to our wireless partners and mobile users throughout the world." The fast-growing global animation and 3D market reached nearly $60 billion in sales in 2006 and is expected to pass the $80 billion sales mark by 2010.(a) The Poser's 3D figure design and animation program has a strong following of more than 500,000 users and is growing. Manga Studio, originally created in Japan as ComicStudio, has become the number-one selling Manga software worldwide. Anime Studio is a complete animation solution for creating 2D movies, cartoons, anime or cut-out animations and is ideal for animators of any caliber. About Smith Micro Software, Inc. Smith Micro Software, Inc., headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California, with offices in Europe and Asia, develops and markets wireless multimedia and communications solutions, mobile device management products, image and data compression solutions and many award-winning software products. Smith Micro's complete line of products is available through Smith Micro's Enterprise, Channel and OEM Sales Groups, and direct from its websites, retail and value-added resellers (VARs) partners. Smith Micro's common stock trades on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol SMSI. Safe Harbor Statement: This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including without limitation forward-looking statements relating to the company's financial prospects and projections, the company's ability to increase its business and the anticipated timing and financial performance of new products and potential acquisitions. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are new and changing technologies, customer acceptance of those technologies, fluctuations or cancellations in orders from customers, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software companies. These and other factors discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, could cause actual results to differ materially from those presented in any forward-looking statements. Smith Micro assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release. (a) Information taken from the Roncarelli Report Smith Micro and the Smith Micro logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. All other trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies. Contacts: Press Inquiries: Smith Micro Software, Inc. Nisha Kapoor-Morris,

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 6:50 AM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 7:11 AM

Attached Link: From a Poser employee

More on the purchase by one of the main [**Poser folks themselves.**](http://www.poserpro.net/blog/poser_pro/)

ominousplay ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 1:46 PM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 1:52 PM

How do you think this will affect Carrara? I need to learn more about Smith Micro I guess... Okay, a quick look at Smith Micro site - Oh great, it is a huge company, into Communications - I think the strength of the smaller 3D companies that have personal interest and a "small-town" feel is what makes for "great" software. SM looks like it could turn out to be a Walmart for 3d applications - Will Poser continue to advance? Will it cooperate with Daz to continue the Poser/Carrara connection? I don't use Poser too much anymore... but, I'd hate to see it stagnate. R

Never Give Up!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 2:34 PM

it may affect carrara if smith changes e-f's policy about the poser sdk and about co-operating with other software makers. I had expected daz to purchase poser during the time when e-f was developing P7, but daz bought carrara instead. perhaps e-f was asking too much for the software back then. it's the normal practice for a new company to buy poser around the time of each new version release. but if sales were only $7M vs. purchase price of $6M, this doesn't leave much money for smith to patch up the P8 beat, hence they'll likely be looking for a buyer around the time P9 is expected IMVHO.

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 12:54 AM

Once Carrara includes a curve parameter for it's Poser/Daz content, I won't really need Poser much--though the faceoff, bagginsbill-type skin shaders are nice. Commercial content creators may still need to suffer with Poser’s insanely defective and reprehensibly neglected Setup Room, but personally, I’m at the point where alternatives seem refreshing. If Poser ceased to be viable, I wonder how long sites like Renderosity would continue to flourish. Most Poser users don’t want to spend the time it takes to learn how to use a new program, even if it's better and not that expensive.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 2:45 PM

most of the poser market is poser users creating content for other poser users. I barely see one new commercial project per week involving poser (mostly internet flash ads or television ads), meaning that very few users are selling their work for use in large-scale projects. hence, in the unlikely event that poser disappeared as a commercial product, the "poser community" self-sustaining economy would taper off gradually. but a white knight always comes through at the last moment to buy poser, whenever the current owners realise they're in over their heads.

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2007 at 9:21 AM

Most merchants are developing content for characters. Most of the major characters come from Daz. With the emergence of Carrara, Poser is not necessary. I am prioritizing making all of my content to render seamlessly  in Carrara. As long as the new content cross platforms i think it will actually stimulate the marketplace.
cheerio lululee

FeatherDrop ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2007 at 7:22 AM

A few words from a Poser/C6Pro convert...

The thing is that Poser and C6Pro content is seen as separate where Daz have actually done quite a good job of integrating 'Poser' content into Carrara (I'm just getting to grips with this as it was something that had passed me by and I'm just catching up!)

Daz will continue to supply 'Poser compatible' content to support the existing figures (V4, V3, A3, M3, etc) and merchants on Renderosity will continue to provide content (such as the brilliant stuff by LuLuLee). 

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Poser and their figures (Miki, Jessi, Gloria, etc).  There could be a split into Vicky/Miki camps with Daz/RO supporting one set of figures and CP supporting the other. 

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to use Poser6 (I stopped using P7 some time ago) and learn/develop skills using C6Pro.  And this means that I'll continue to support Daz and Renderosity for my content.  Hopefully, using C6Pro will allow me to do superior renders, incorporate other content and do things that I wouldn't normally do with Poser).

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2007 at 9:58 AM

I agree with you, andrewriley.
I personally feel C6/C6Pro is the way of the future. There is a bit of a learning curve with it. Most people who PURCHASE Poser/Daz content need to have it 'ready to render.' As merchants and developers i feel the best way to stimulate the C6/C6Pro marketplace is to develop the products that make them render ready. That means lights, shaders, hair etc. i personally am not rendering as much in C6Pro because i just don't have my lighting right yet. There is also awesome design potential for the beautiful hair and fur in C6Pro. I also feel that the emergence of the new PhilC WW2 will enable not only the crossing over of  all of the CP characters to C6/C6Pro but stimulate the market for new characters by independent character developers.
   C6/C6Pro is no different than any other software. It does take some time to get to know the software well enough to be able to develop quality products that are "render ready".  We are already seeing some of these products emerging like Carrara Surface and Skin Shaders,Shoe string shaders,mark's tutorials. I support these inovative developers and hope i can learn from them and increase my skill level
   So "steady on" as we plow through the learning curve to learn how to get C6/C6Pro to dance and sparkle for the Poser community . I think there is a a gateway opening and we are in for some really creative times with C6/C6Pro.
Just my humble opinion.
cheerio  lululee

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2007 at 4:47 PM

I think there is a little bit of shall I say, lack of knowledge, about Carrara and it's history. And the many great, long term Plug-in makers for Carrara also.

As I understand it, Poser, Bryce, and Carrara have derived from the same original stable, each going down somewhat different paths but all being of the same "age".?

As a long term user of Carrara I find it strange that there is an impression it is a "New" product.

bwtr

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2007 at 6:53 PM

What throws people off in that regards was the name change from Ray Dream Studio to Carrara. I've been using it since it was Ray Dream Studio 5.5.

My Freebies

lululee ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 8:33 AM

I don't think it is about people thinking Carrara is a new product. I think the "integration curve' is about integrating Poser content directly through Carrara. I had Carrara 5Pro and did render with it, but this new adventure opening up Poser content directly in Carrara, the ability to pose directly in the software and all of the other Poser features is quite new to me.
   i do think it is quite exciting. Also, the people in the Carrara community are really helpful.
cheerio  lululee

MotleyPete ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2007 at 3:46 AM · edited Wed, 05 December 2007 at 4:01 AM

If Poser does go to the wall then I think the "ready to render" market will probably switch to DAZ Studio, whereas people interested in moving on to modelling and entry lever 3D might consider investing in Carrara (with the comfort of knowing that it can also handle Daz/Poser content too). Personally, I'm still very happy with my copy of Carrara 5 Pro.

FeatherDrop ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2007 at 7:28 AM

As Poser Users, changing to either Daz Studio or Carrara is going to involve a learning curve and, to all intents/purposes, both applications will be new (I think users who own both Poser and Carrara will be in a minority).

Over the last 2-3 years I've bought a lot of Poser content and it is this 'legacy' that I want to keep using.  Many of the items are pre-DazStudio, both from Daz and Renderosity.  I've tried using Synful Mynds poses in Daz Studio and they have done horrible damage to Vickie's feet!  Daz materials are different from Posers, so the brilliant latex materials from Skyewolf aren't usable either (similarly in Carrara I would suspect).

A recent review in 3D World described Carrara 6 Pro as a 'Poser Killer'.  IMHO, I think that Carrara Express amply does the job - at only $90 full price it's pretty economical, allows access to all Poser Content and has an upgrade path to the full products.

As I see the situation, there is a lot of uncertainty with the future of Poser but Carrara is poised ready to strike but there are one or two things missing to fill the void (again only an opinion from a Poser oriented person)...

1. Poser Materials/Carrara shaders aren't interchangable
  2. Poser/Carrara Lights aren't interchangable
  3. Very few tutorials on how to use Poser content in Carrara 6 using the Content Browser
  4. Material provided with Carrara 6 is still heavily oriented to previous version

I may be wrong with these assumptions but I'm really excited by the idea of exploring and using Carrara 6 Pro (and I might try and provide tutorials as part of the process).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.