Tue, Oct 22, 3:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: January Forum Challenge Black and White/ Monochrome

short_ribs ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 8:11 PM

file_397139.jpg

Shot this during class time we were sent out to do an exersice on strategies so I wonderd around taking photos of the surrounding back alleys... Well, yeah, this isn't one but kinda found it to be catchy... Really like how it turned out...  shot in .jpg and B&W cause we all had to show the photos in class and shooting raw would only have been a hinderance... Anyway some great work here #;0)

I payed to get myself into an institution :m_tear: Check out my temporary site: APACHA

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 11:29 AM

file_397189.jpg

Michel made a good point. I wish I could comment more but have been busy. There are a lot of great photos showcased in this challenge. In the B&W medium, I find the ones that work the best for me either have a great tonal range and lots of textures, or are very stark and dramatic. I'm not sure if my second entry falls into either category, but here it is.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 11:32 AM · edited Wed, 09 January 2008 at 11:33 AM

file_397190.jpg

Oh, I almost forget, thanks Michel for the compliment. I don't feel like the IR master, but since I do it so much maybe I am starting to get the hang of it! ;'] Here is my third image. It started out as color since my small Pentax does not have a B&W mode, but I converted it directly to B&W when in Photoshop and work on it from that point on. I wanted to show that an image that is usually reserved for color (like a sunrise) can also look good in B&W. This would fall into the "dramatic" category I think. "**Come Fly With Me**"

Laelia ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 2:03 PM

Quote - "Come Fly With Me"

Hi Kort !!
Nice to see you between here and myspace !!

"Come fly with me" is also a title of a drawing pic of Louise,aka Louly here
So fantastic coincidence ...

Great evening and wonderful tomorrow for all !

q:) Magali

Fred255 ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 5:19 PM

Err Laelia That's not black and white I see purples and creams!

ecurb - The Devil

Laelia ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 1:36 PM

Quote - Err Laelia That's not black and white I see purples and creams!

Yes but I didn't say it's a B&W design if you would read again...
I only said that the tittle is the same : "Come fly with me"**
**:b_cool:

mbz2662 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 11:19 PM

file_397389.jpg

Here is my second image.  I took this Just a couple days ago, from my backyard. 

astro66 ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 1:30 AM

file_397396.jpg

This certainly isn't the greatest landscape shot I've ever done but I do like the way light is on the trees in the background.

www.natural-photo.co.uk

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.  ~Ansel Adams"

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 10:58 AM

Under The Bridge

auntietk ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 3:22 PM

Wow - this is some great stuff, you guys!  I've been really busy the past couple of weeks, and just now had time to check in.  Guess I'd better get busy!  Dang.  I'll have to read more of my camera manual and see if I can take shots in b&w.  If not, I'll convert some color shots.

Looking at everything up to this point, I'm struck by the variety, and by my obvious preferences.  I realize I tend to think of good subject matter for b&w shots in a certain way ... something I'd not thought of before!  (You're all  SO good for me!  You expand my mind.)  The things I like in b&w tend to be the kinds of things I shoot anyway.  Duh!  Well, I'm still on a pretty steep learning curve, and sometimes the most obvious things just haven't crossed my mind yet!  LOL!

Oliver's fan, Andrea's studio setup, Val's strange place, Elizabeth's hibiscus, and Kort's wheels all jump out and grab my attention.  Of course it's all just artistic preference, but hey ... there's mine!  :)

I'm looking forward to having a bit more time now, and getting into this challenge.  Great idea!  It's got my mind going already.

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 6:42 AM

Stairs

easyjobrob ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 8:57 AM · edited Tue, 15 January 2008 at 9:05 AM

file_397731.JPG

taken this weekend at my parents area...I like the use of a white swan on dark water. i am afraid I used photoshop to convert to B&W as I did not have the setting changed at the time

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 12:47 PM

Lovely swan shot Rob, and neat perspective CWT.

Flannelman ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 3:56 PM

file_397758.jpg

Wow, so much to see and read. Nice participation. My thanx for all whom have shared. I have found something in all that kept my gaze lingering.  This is a shot from a few weeks ago. I call it "Nag Nag Nag". Shot in b/w, natural light (early morning), macro, P mode, sharp image, high contrast and freehanded. No editing except a reduction in size. Its a miniature yellow rose (about 2 inches wide) in a box of 3 inch decking screws. There is still some dew on the rose but its hard to see in this smaller size. ;-)

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 5:39 AM

Thats very nice **easyjobrob , Your right the Swan does stand out nice, FlannelMan I adore that picture congrats , Talk about taking the rough with the smooth , Beautifull contrast!

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 9:29 AM

file_397850.jpg

I converted this from color.

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

Richardphotos ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 8:35 PM

file_397889.jpg

a recent sky that was shot using the monochrome option.one adjustment in PSP X2

Richardphotos ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 6:48 AM

hello friend. forgive me for not making comments in the forum as I am not happy with translators'there is a war of water and sand  to celebrate summer in some towns of Spain. my camera suffers from the water and sand.I do not know when I will be able to have another camera.if you want to know more ask me your friend .your fotos of barcelona is beautiful

not exactly right but maybe you can understand

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 9:18 AM

Attached Link: DIY - the cheap yet shamefull underwater camera housing

RichardPhoto's , I am sorry to hear of your dilemma involving Water & Sand affecting the camera , Theres one option tthat may be worth a try :

Flannelman ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 10:12 AM

Hey there Yesitis, (richardphotos)
Great sky shot. Sorry about ur camera.
;-)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 11:12 AM

Glad to see this challenge still active, keep those entries coming folks! Careful with that camera Richard!

mickuk50 ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 11:29 AM · edited Fri, 18 January 2008 at 11:30 AM

file_397915.jpg

some fantastic enties :o)..here is my contribution .smoking (not everything is black and white)

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 12:06 AM

file_397949.jpg

Early morning shot from the 2nd story workout room in my office building where I hang out between 6 and 7 a.m. every morning. The street lights shine strange in the heavy, damp air and reflect off all the city surfaces. I like the results.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 12:18 AM

file_397952.jpg

The old stairwell at our state capitol. The lighting is equal all the way down and makes for a very interesting b/w effect.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 12:28 AM

file_397955.jpg

City streets...cold, winter day... Will comment on other's in a bit.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

Flannelman ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 12:48 AM

file_397957.jpg

Very interesting trio MrsLubner. Here is a shot of the yellow lab that takes up space in the house. ;-)

mbz2662 ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 1:39 AM

file_397960.jpg

My third photo.  I converted this one from color.

auntietk ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 10:27 AM

The lab looks great in b&w, Flannelman!  Excellent!

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 11:29 AM

Richard, that sky looks awesome in b/w. The swirl really pops out.

Flannelman, you know I adore that canine companion you share space with but he is even more appealing in this b/w. I know its difficult to catch him with good contrasts because of his singular color but you have done a very good job and still retained good detail !

Tara, your buds are fantastic. So many times I've had to swap good color distinction for the detail in a macro but you managed to get both strong on these buds with the b/w.

Mick, your smoking tin is one of the best b/w photos I've seen in a long time. The gleam on the metal is not glaring but the grain of the wood is bold while retaining the fine detail in the writing. Maintaining that balance of contrast throughout a photo is difficult but you did a fantastic job.

CWT, I like your over all composition and it seems to do well in b/w. Have you taken this shot at different times of the day to see how the shadows play? It looks like a 3-part series throughout the day would  peek my interest.

The swan has good strength as do the eyes over flowers. In fact, both have great balance in the composition that brings out the balance in contrast. 

I am finding there is great diversity in personal styles with b/w photography. Its a great way to learn what I can do to put a better spin on my shots.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

Richardphotos ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 2:27 PM

I was translating some spanish way back up on the first page I believe.it was not my experience but
Help Valou, or Rich...
Just got a site mail from Jeroni :

*-----Original Message-----
Sent: 2008-01-04 16:27:56
Subject:

hola amigo perdona que no ponga comentarios  en el forums pero mi ingles es pesimo y los traductores traducen como quieren, Te explico lo de la farina  es una guerra de agua y arina que se celebra en verano en algunos pueblos de Valencia y Alicante , lo malo de esta guerra es  que la camara sufre mucho ya que  uno solo tiene ojos para hacer fotos pero no sabes lo que te vas encontrar a tu espalda, bueno si quieres saber algo mas no dudes en preguntar un abrazo tu amigo Jeroni. Tus fotos de Barcelona geniales y gracias por la dedicatoria amigo

I think I understand most of it but not enough to translate it for the other viewers here
So, I would appreciate your help my friends...*

alhak ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 3:34 AM

file_398050.jpg

Well here is one of mine...taken on a web cam of all things for something different! Kahla and her best friend Daniel

MaliCelestine ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 11:12 PM

file_398151.jpg

Picture of my friends son eating a peanut butter and fluff sandwhich. Custest lil man EVER!

offrench ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 4:26 PM

Here is a first try.
Shot in Limousin, France early morning

cows in the mist

Fantasy pictures, free 3d models, 3d tutorials and seamless textures on Virtual Lands.

offrench ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 4:27 PM · edited Tue, 22 January 2008 at 4:30 PM

A second one. Shot in digital (hence color) but it is almost black and white.

Carrelet on sunset

Fantasy pictures, free 3d models, 3d tutorials and seamless textures on Virtual Lands.

offrench ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 4:35 PM · edited Tue, 22 January 2008 at 4:36 PM

This one is for the monochrome part.
The bridge of Arts in Paris, on a winter evening. No color editing as far as I remember.

Bridge of Arts

Laelia ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 6:44 AM

Quote - Here is a first try.
Shot in Limousin, France early morning  Offrench

Ma préférée ! Belle atmosphere
Bravo Olivier

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 1:20 PM · edited Sat, 26 January 2008 at 1:22 PM

file_398505.jpg

This is a hand woven trout creel, a gift from a brother-in-law.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 12:48 AM

file_398535.jpg

I've always loved the stark contrasts you get when shooting snow scenes, it seems a natural for B&W. Although this wasn't shot in B&W, the only difference when I converted it was the blue cast went away.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 12:54 AM

file_398536.jpg

Again, this wasn't shot in B&W, but with white snow, black tire and the almost covered raw wood fence there was mimimal change on conversion

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 1:00 AM

file_398537.jpg

This ice meets ice at the edge of a freezing lake is so close to B&W that I've not converted. 

BTW, I've had about enough of this cold, can someone turn up the weather thermostat?

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 4:09 AM

Those Snow scene's are beautifull , Especially the ones with the poles , I'd consider swapping places with you if you like almost constant grey skies filled with Rain (Things are improving slowly)
Congrrats LovelyPoetess thanks for sharing!

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 4:30 AM · edited Sun, 27 January 2008 at 4:31 AM

AuntieTk those RoseBuds are nice
MickUk50 , Your looking a littleDry , Need to borrow some ? , Nice shot
MrsLubner , I love this effect , Spiralling into an oblivion of B & W
FlannelMan , Lovely Labrador , Just my thoughts would look nice if parts were coloured , Beautifull anyways
Same with Mbz222 , I think colouring the eyes or flower would look nice
MaliCelestine hah hah wonderfull shot , Looks as though he's enjjoying
Offfrench , Some nice poics of bridges , me likes the 1st one (Seascape)
**TomDart ** , What a thoughtfull Brother-In-Law & nice picture

Excuse If I didn't comment on everybodys pic's & you don't like the suggestions , Am very tired n bored , Is there a Max entry limit for this ?
 Suns just coming ou8t finally so we have more shadowing to play wioth in the UK
Anyways keep up the great work people.
Tc.
Peace!

birdonawire ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 8:19 AM

I absolutely LOVE the lake scene. The only thing I know of that could improve it would be to crop it into a square format. I would crop out the bottom part because there is nothing there that is particularly interesting or beautiful. Other than that I think it's gorgeous and wouldn't change a thing.

rufous ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:13 PM

file_398629.jpg

Wow, nearly missed this one... great entries! Val's "strange place is gorgeous, Mrslubner's Escheresque state capital stairs, flannelman's "rose among thorns", offrench's "Limousin morning"... ...Well here goes the first- A world in a tree

rufous ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:18 PM

file_398630.jpg

Another picture that lends itself to the challenge...

rufous ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:25 PM

file_398631.jpg

...And another try..."The path into the forest,,,,," Have to get these all done tonight, for I know I'll probably not get another chance before the end of the week (and month!)

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:05 AM · edited Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:08 AM

Rufous I love your "A World In A Tree Image" Congrats
My last submission is presented below , I cropped due to not liking the different coloured BrickWork:

Lost Graffiti:

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 8:08 PM

file_398766.jpg

Another conversion from color.  I think I'll post the color version in my gallery this week.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 10:08 PM

Ohhhh, now I'll have to be patient and wait to see the coloured version, Auntietk. Although I like the B/W I'm curious to see if the pitchers are silver or something in a brass tone.

And Rufous, I believe I've been to that continent in your tree world (about 9 oclock on the left there). Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there...    Cool shot! 

Nice capture on the graffiti, CWT I've never tried it, but it must be liberating to see the world as your canvas, don't ya think?  

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:22 AM

Yes I do LovelyPoetess,
Probaly somebodys only chance of expressing Liberation.
Painting the World is out of reach mind , Majority of Graffiti you'll find is scribble's due to it being illlegal to deface , Finest examples you'll find in abandoned & generally difficult to reach area's,
Seems were going of topic a little :D

I'll take & upload a few examples of the work you get in derelict factories , Uninhabited places!
Scarpers before I incur the wrath of the mods :D

Tc all ,
Peace!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.