Tue, Oct 1, 2:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: OT: I hurt my shoulder, life over?

tebop ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 7:38 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:33 PM

Dont have insurance nor a good paying job. now i'm suffering eeryday with pain. I just have to accept that.. cause i mean there's no solution , i keep reading shoulder injury webpages and it says that you need surgery or whatever. 

Poser is great but now i cant even concentrate on it.. i do try, however, i cant do it in peace

Anyone else has suffered with something?

LadyElf ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 7:44 PM

tebop, I don't know where you live, so this may not apply to you.  But in a lot of states and cities in the US, there are free clinics that you can go to if you cannot afford to go to a doctor.  We even have several hosptials here that will give you treatment if you don't have insurance. 

Anything that you read on the internet can be suspect, if you can/do have an area that has  free clinics, then you need to get to one and get your shoulder checked out.

I hope you feel better soon!

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 7:45 PM

Dang dude!!  Tough luck!!!  Didn't you have carpal tunnel last year too??  Well, take it easy for a while and see if it improves!!  Also I've found mild exercise helps!!  I have ulnar nerve disfunction in my left arm and a touch of carpal tunnel in the right one and being more active and less time on the computer at home (work is in front of a computer for 10 hour shifts) and less (sniff!) time with an xbox 360 controller and being more active on the whole seems to have helped somewhat!

Take care!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

tebop ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 7:49 PM

free clinics are only if you're really poor and you have nothing. i live with my parents , .I"m from CA.

By the way, i was fine last week.. just did some pushups.. and that caused the injury. i always do pushups so i dont know why this time i got broken.  and i mean badly.. i cant even believe it.. i got broken from pushups  And i only do slow sets of 10. i never do 50's or anything like that .. guess i'm getting old. i'm 28. 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:05 PM

depending on where CA is, there may be some options.  one option is to go to an
hospital emergency room.  the diagnosis may be less alarming than one might
at first imagine.  depending on where CA is, they may be required to treat you,
but there's an huge difference between being unable and unwilling to pay IMVHO.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:12 PM · edited Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:17 PM

I don't know what is wrong with your shoulder.  EDIT: I see that you injured it doing pushups.  That could be a number of things from a pulled muscle to a torn ligament to a partial subluxation like I had.

A few weeks ago I had a partial dislocation of my right shoulder and it was sure painful! The pain was sharp and intense and always there. In fact the shoulder joint felt "pinched" like it was stuck and wouldn't go in certain directions.  It popped out of place during the night while I was sleeping and then back in a couple nights later while I was sleeping! For the next 3 or 4 days it would pop in and out on it's own, most often while I was sleeping!

I didn't get to the emergency to get it put back into place because it went back in on it's own before I could get there. However dislocations usually require the joint to be looked at and put back into place by a doctor.

Now, since I don't know what is wrong with your shoulder, I will tell you what I did for mine and this is only after the joint was back in place. If the joint is out of place, nothing is going to help the pain until the joint is put back in.

1. Take Ibuprophen.  I buy the generic stuff but something like Advil is the same thing. Follow the directions on the bottle and do not take more than is recommended, or more often than is recommended.

2.  Apply ice packs to the shoulder.  Bags of frozen peas work well, refreeze and reuse as needed.  I use those hard plastic cooler packs that have anti freeze in them and wrap them inside a small towel.  Apply for 20 minutes every hour.

3.  I made myself a sling to wear while I was walking around or laying down or sleeping. I used two nylon straps from my CD carrying case that I snapped together for when I was at home. When I went out I made a nicer one out of a silk scarf :)  No need to get fancy.  Just put it around your neck like a long necklace and then put your  forearm into the lower part so it is at a 90 degree angle and it doesn't hang down. This takes the weight off of the shoulder  joint.  When I was in bed I kept it on in order to prevent the shoulder from falling backwards. This really helped! It also helps to have a pillow behind your shoulder to support it and keep it aligned.

1. I avoided certain movements with my arm that contribute to the type of dislocation that I had. IE: lifting my arm up beyond level with my shoulder;  moving my shoulder backwards.  In fact I tried not to move the part of my arm between my shoulder and elbow at all. I tried to keep it close to my body and just move the part of my arm from the elbow down.

That being said, even those without insurance are entitled to healthcare.  There must be clinics in your area that you can go to?!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

tebop ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:27 PM

thanks.  All . and Acadia. well my type of pain is ..one that is not affected by movement. I mean it's there all the time whethere i move move my shoulder or not . 

Good news though is that. On sunday it was really painful and constant.. Monday was pretty painful and constant but less constant. then Tuesday it's been minimal pain and not constant. like right now i feel almost no pain..although some hours i ago it was more painful and  i had a weird feeling in side. 

Thankns for your advice. 

And about the freeclinincs again. yes there is one...but last time i had to show that i didn't earn that much money and that i didn't have that much money in the bank account. Then i had to lie that my car wasn't mine and i said that it was my fathers. because if you have things of value then they dont consider you poor enough. The car is not officially mine, i just use it so i said it wasn't mine. he he he. then i had to take money out of the bank so they wouldnt check

Sure i may have money for one appointment but when they start doing tests that cost 500 dolalrs +,, thats impossible. Last time i went to the so called freeclinic for knee problems.. i didn't complete the proof of being poor thing.. so i had to pay and just for 3 xrays , they charaged me like 500 dollars. it took months to pay it. and i even lost my job that time.. so it was hard. i'm just a temp office worker. 

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:33 PM

Quote -  thanks.  All . and Acadia. well my type of pain is ..one that is not affected by movement. I mean it's there all the time whethere i move move my shoulder or not .

Sounds like it could be partially dislocated.  You really should go and get it checked out.

Plutom ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:38 PM

I believe that It's a federal law that hospital emergency rooms must treat you regardless of your ability to pay.  Every Emergency room should have that sign posted.   You may want to check it out on the web eg Google and maybe a phrase something like hospital emergency treatment and federal law etc.  Jan

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:39 PM

strained muscle issues can take a LONG time to heal.. I had a repetitive muscle strain injury to my arm, and it took a YEAR before it stopped bothering me on a regular basis.. and 5 years later, I pushed it too hard again chopping firewood, and flared the old injury back up. So now I have to take it easy with my right arm again, knowing it'll take a long time before it's fully healed again.

Ya just have to give it a few months, but if you push yourself too hard again, you'll just redo the damage.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

tebop ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:39 PM · edited Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:42 PM

dislocated huh?  well but i can move it fine.. it doesnt raelly feel any weird when moving. I went to the chiro  and he said my range of motion is fine. Then he said  something about how he may not be able to help me.. and then he said something about that maybe it could be something similiar to cartilage tear in the knee. I cant go to the ortho.. they charge so much for tests. 

right now as i'm typing.. i feel surprisingly normal for some reason. i dont even have any pain. 

Garee! interesting. i had my initial shoulder injury last year in October i think. was filing and carrying big folders ..taking them out of drawers and putting them back.. that day about 4 hours later i felt a sudden unexplainable pain in the shoulder   and it felt just like the way i feel now. For some reason that healed and it didnt even last like the one now. 

I guess that old injuury is the one that came back now. chucks!   

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 8:42 PM

Sound like I said, like a repetitive muscle strain injury.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 9:14 PM

Quote -  dislocated huh?  well but i can move it fine.. it doesnt raelly feel any weird when moving. I went to the chiro  and he said my range of motion is fine. Then he said  something about how he may not be able to help me.. and then he said something about that maybe it could be something similiar to cartilage tear in the knee.

See, you aren't giving full information! :P

If you went and saw a doctor and they said it wasn't dislocated, then it's not dislocated :) 

Just take Ibuprofen for the inflammation and apply ice to it every hour for 20 minutes.  Nothing you can do for soft tissue injuries except to take anti inflammatories and apply ice and give it time to heal on it's own.

No more push-ups for you for awhile :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 11:14 PM

Note: a chiropractor is not a doctor.  While there are some good chiropractors out there, there also bad ones.
http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/67834/detail/

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 11:17 PM

Quote - Note: a chiropractor is not a doctor.  While there are some good chiropractors out there, there also bad ones.
http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/67834/detail/

A chiropractor is so a doctor :)  They go to medical school just like any other doctor, and then they branch out into their specialty.

A chiropractor knows more about your nervous system than a General Practitioner and the only one who knows more are Neurologists.

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 11:41 PM

I believe that It's a federal law that hospital emergency rooms must treat you regardless of your ability to pay. I think this is true. However, the prices are inflated to dollars per aspirin, and if you have any income at all, you will be billed until the debt is paid or until death, whichever comes first.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 11:45 PM

Possibly it isn't regulated the same in Canada, but here in the US, chiropractors are held to a FAR LOWER STANDARD than any medical doctor.
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos071.htm Department of Labor info on chiropractors
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm similar information on physicians and surgeons

Chiropractors require around 4 years of schooling to obtain a license; medical doctors require 11-16.  They are absolutely NOT in the same category, and chiropractic schooling is vastly different from medical school.

My Freebies

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 11:54 PM

Unless there's bad bruising or inability to move yor arm, there's really no need for an emergency visit (which will cause few thousand dollar bill in CA).

You can call around a few doctors and negotiate couple of visits for a 'cash patient' for under $100 per visit, to look at your shoulder and give you some sound advice.  If you had a really serious injury, your chiropractor would have told you to go see a doctor.

By what you're doing, it sounds like you pulled a muscle a little bit or over strained a tendon.   A pulled muscle or a tendon will heal in three to six weeks if you go really easy on it, and do some hot/cold compresses.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2008 at 12:04 AM

"Doctor it hurts when I make my arm go like this!"
"Okay, then don't make your arm go like that!"

My Freebies

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2008 at 1:07 AM

3/19/08

In the United States COMMUNITY Hospitals are required to give emergency treatment to anyone who presents to the Emergency Department with an emergency (if the hospital has an emergency department). A physician must assess the patient to determine if there is an emergency. Because of the professional standards for physicians, and because of civil liability, there is a moral obligation to treat assessed patients. This means that most anyone who presents to an ER (in a Community Hospital) will be treated.

Many hospitals have endowments, grants, and other funds to help pay the bills of patients that cannot pay. One must ask for such assistance at the hospital’s financial department. They may not be obligated to offer, one should ask. In many facilities the eligibility terms are very generous. One would not need to be indigent or independent to get assistance.

While county health facilities may be reserved for truly indigent patients, many areas of the country have free clinics that are privately funded, and which will treat patients who cannot pay. There are also a number of clinics that will give free medical care to people who cannot pay, but are not eligible for Medicaid. It is up to the individual to apply for, and receive a letter of denial for Medicaid coverage, and then to ask the clinics if they can provide care.

The shoulder joint is very complicated, with a number of different structures. There are muscles, tendons, nerves, cartilage, bone, bursa, blood vessel, fascia, and other structures in the shoulder. A normally healthy and well-developed younger person will tend to have self-limiting joint injuries, if severe trauma is not involved. These injuries range from bursitis, and strains and sprains, to separations (subluxations). Dislocations are not common, tend to be obvious, and restrict range of motion (movement). Torn rotator cuffs also restrict movement.

Pain in most minor injuries is not immediate, but develops within 24 hours. It will grow worse over three to four days and then begin to subside. Full recover can take several weeks. Immobilization, cold compresses (for the first three to four days) then heat (don’t sleep on a heating pad), and over-the-counter analgesics and anti-inflammatory medications (follow the directions) are frequently recommended. Over-the-counter liniments such as Tiger Balm (the white preparation) can be helpful.

Chiropractors are physicians with a doctoral degree. They specialize specifically in the alignment of the vertebrae, and problems that arise from vertebral misalignment. They are generally licensed to diagnose, treat, and bill for health care problems within their scope of practice. Chiropractors can be very effective physicians, but may have little to offer to people who suffer injury in areas other than the back.

I hope you feel better soon.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2008 at 5:38 AM

They have to treat you in the E.R. but he said he didn't complete the process which is why he got charged. I worked in the E.R. for years and we saw this every day. Someone has to pay the bills. In California many small hospitals have had to close because folks just don't bother to follow up and they don't get paid for the services which the the hospital in turn has to pay. Supplies and staff don't come cheap these days. That being said you need to get it checked out somehow, even if you have to return to the E.R. to do it. They should still see you and if they do follow up so you don't get billed again.

flibbits ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2008 at 6:56 PM

Sounds like you may have a sore muscle from overwork.

tebop ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2008 at 7:43 PM

well i dont feel anything like sore muscles when doing exercise. is that what you mean?  it feels like deep pain inside. 

but , now 5 days after.. the pain has lessened quite a bit. today i felt much less pain. I'll just keep positive. Ok thanks all

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2008 at 8:15 PM
Site Admin

Many doctors in the US will negotiate prices.  My mom once had surgery and the insurance wouldn't pay the whole bill because that doctor charged more than avarage. She talked to his billing people and they cut the bill to what the insurance paid. 

You do want to have this looked at and find out what it is. Some things will heal properly without treatment other things won't. My father in law waited when he hurt his ankle and it turned out something was torn and now there is scar tissue and the doctors can't fix it. He has to live with the pain...or where a brace which just reduces the pain.

I understand that money is tight. Talk with the doctor and work out a payment plan if nothing else. 28 is awfully young to start a life of permenant pain

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

DustRider ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2008 at 12:47 AM · edited Thu, 20 March 2008 at 12:49 AM

tebop,

Does the pain feel like it is inside the shoulder (between the ball and the socket), or do you have a deep (near the bone) pain on the front of the joint at about the mid point?

The deep "inside the socket" pain is typically torn cartilage (though not always, can also be an indication of other things, even including a fracture in the joint). This pain will get better if the cartilage moves back into place, but can cause continuing problems if it gets caught often and moves out of place and/or tears more.

The pain near the bone on the front center of the joint indicates a strained or partially torn ligament. This one is very easy to test, press hard with the thumb (using your good arm) and rub/move in a small circle near the front center of the joint where the ball and socket meet. If the pain about drops you to your knees, you have ligament damage, which indicates you probably had a minor dislocation given your description of the event (this ligament will always hurt with a dislocation).

These are only some general guidelines to help you begin to understand what might be wrong. I'm not a doctor, I've just had several shoulder injuries over the years (including ongoing "routine" dislocations), and this is what I've learned from the injuries.

With either of the two situations above, anti-inflamatory medicine (advil, alieve, asprin, etc.) will help. Unfortunately, torn cartilage doesn't tend to heal (though it did in my left knee once - looong story), and often requires orthoscopic surgury to fix. Dislocations simply take some time to heal, but after the first time, it's esier to repeat the injury.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

nyguy ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2008 at 8:30 AM

tebop sounds like you might have torn something in your shoulder or might have pinched a nerve. Right now I am suffering from swelling in my lower back and this has caused a nerve to get pinched and cause major pain when I bend to lift anything.

I have had 5 surgeries on my back in the last 10 years, lucky me this injury was caused at work and is covered by worker's comp.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.