Thu, Sep 19, 4:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Mountains

jasonmit ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2008 at 8:05 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:32 PM

I've been doing a lot of landscape scenes recently but I can never seem to get good looking mountains.

Does anyone have any good advice regarding the terrain editor and textures to create good mountains?

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2008 at 9:32 PM

Download the trial version of Geocontrol  (do a google search), It will export .pgm files which you can then import into Bryce (using "Import Object" from the "File" menu).

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

Thandaluz ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2008 at 9:35 PM

To create mountains in the editor of Bryce is a true art, it is not as easy as it seems. 
A very simple clue: 
In Bryce you find dozens of ready mountains for use, therefore: 

• Choice one of your pleasure and later alter your characteristics (size, height, width) 
  • Use some brushes to retouch 
  • Use two or more mountains inserted with different sizes 
  • When using a texture or material, modify your properties 
  • Try to use more than a material / texture 
  • Depending on the atmospheric composition some lights will help 
  • Remember that the final result can suffer influence of the characteristics of the used atmosphere 
  • A lot of times a good texture is bad with a certain sky. 
  • I usually use the same texture of the land and later I modify for the mountain 
  • A good imagination dose is a very important ingredient 

I hope has helped. 
    Hugs.

dhama ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2008 at 2:11 AM

The easiest advice I can give making mountains.

The nicest shaped moutains can be made the following way......

SHAPE:
Choose 'Ridged Multifractal' from the pulldown list next to the button that says 'Fractal' in the Editing Tools window.
Then use 'Gaussian Edges' and 'Raise/Lower' in combination making sure not to raise too high (or you'll get a flat mountain top).

**MATs:
**Choose any of the Terrain MATs and altar to taste in the Deep Texture Editor (There are plenty of tutorials for this subject in the Tutorials section)

**CONCLUSION:
**Experiment a lot, it won't come overnight. Good luck.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2008 at 8:30 AM

My advice:
SCALE!  Brycean landscapes need to be huge!  I'm talking 1000s of times larger than when you first hit the Terrain button.  Move them well back in your picture.
Then fill in your picture frame back to front with gradually decreasing sized terrains.

Mytwocentsworth.....

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

wildman2 ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2008 at 9:52 AM

make a terrain thats 2000 x 768 x 2000 .put a stock dte texture on it (say forested granite).
now make a terrain ,don't resize,put same texture on it, see the difference in how the texture is affected.
You can add as much or as little fractal as you want by clicking the marble and moving side to side.Can also mix the fractals together little at a time.Don't forget the erosion just a little.

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2008 at 10:34 AM

Attached Link: Lord of All He Surveys

Rose, you beat me to it.  Scale is the most important element for mountain work IMHO.  Never be afraid to make a terrain say 3000x1500x9000bu to get a set of mountain ridges, then set it back from the camera about 3000+ bu.  You will get great distance mountains, and a feeling of space. 

In my attached pic I have those mountains in the background between 2000 - 5000 bu high and about 10kbu distant.  Because of this, I frequently have images that use tens of thousands of bu in size and distance.  The hard part is often finding the texture balance then.  But you can find it with a little play.

Oh, also it allows you to play with more realistic levels of haze (<10% density), instead of having to pump it up to hide the closeness of the image or give the illusion of space.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2008 at 4:52 PM

You know I often wondered about this... Thanks for the tips and thanks to jasonmit for asking the question.  It's true what they say... If you don't ask, you'll never know.

TS

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 10 May 2008 at 10:14 AM

Don't forget World-Machine, it is Tottally Free for the Basic Version and contains most of the functionality of the Standard Edition. However, it cannot be used for commercial purposes!  And if you dicide to purchase the full version it is only $40 USD.

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 7:01 PM

Also,with a little effort you can use dems from the U.S.G.S. if you don't want to make your own.

jasonmit ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 8:35 PM

Quote - Also,with a little effort you can use dems from the U.S.G.S. if you don't want to make your own.

Got a website?

UVDan ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 4:55 PM
Forum Moderator

**Hi!  You can start your DEM search here.  They are not free, but most are less than a dollar.

The ones you access from here are free.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

jasonmit ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 5:18 PM

Thanks, Dan. And thanks to everyone else.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 7:25 PM

I agree with sackrat and Rosemaryr.  I use GeoControl a lot and always generate terrains at 4096X4096.  This allows me to move the camera in near or far and enlarge/stretch and still not get pixelated.  Any unseen portions, I will paint out in the editor.  If it winds up being at a distance, I'll reduce resolution.

Experiment, experiment , experiment.  You can achieve some wild results converting fractals and cloud photos to height maps. 

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 12:19 AM
Forum Moderator

You're welcome and good luck.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for the Bryce mountain tips.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.