Tue, Oct 22, 1:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Texture challenge

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Sat, 18 October 2008 at 11:32 PM · edited Sat, 19 October 2024 at 11:14 AM

I have a question for you gurus.  Do you think there is a way to render an object, say a primative sphere, and have only the geometry rendered and not the skin of it?  I realize it is only a mathmatical object and it has no physical skeletal construction, but I know C4d can do it so I was wondering if VUE has that capability.  As powerful as the editor is, there has got to be a way.

If anyone could figure it out please post it so we can all learn from it.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 1:55 AM

I sure don't understand whant you mean, here. You want to render the obejct without the "skin"? What would the skin be?

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 2:16 AM

Just the geometry.  Essentially force VUE to make a wireframe render.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 2:39 AM

Oh, I see, a wireframe render. Guess it isn't possible in Vue, but maybe with some postwork, a screen capture and a real render composited...

alexcoppo ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 4:37 AM

I presume that Vue primitives are not even meshes, but mathematical objects (otherwise I would not know how they would handle blobs) so the "wireframe" is not even defined. It is exactly the same situation as in POV-Ray: all entities but for mesh{and friends are mathematical items and if you go to povray.org you wil see that from time to time people pop up asking for a POV to mesh convertion and the answer is a more or less polite "forget it"...

Bye!!!

B.T.W. it would be EXTREMELY interesting to find a way to render only the wireframe of and imported mesh (e.g. modeled in Hex :biggrin:)

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 5:20 AM

Well, Vue primitives are of course parametric objects, defined by a math function, not real geometry, but you can always bake to polygons.

Flak ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:38 AM · edited Sun, 19 October 2008 at 6:42 AM

If the object is uvmapped, you could always texture the object with the uvmap (not coloured, just  the raw uvmap template) and render that.  As long as you're uvmap doesn't have overlapping parts of mesh/polys, it should give you pretty much what you want. I've used this technique in bryce a while back (years ago) and it worked ok.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Flak ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 7:06 AM · edited Sun, 19 October 2008 at 7:09 AM

And, thinking a bit more about this,  if you invert the uvmap template and use that as the transparency map, then you can have only the edges of the polygons that make up the geometry show up - true wireframe (as opposed to the solid wireframe that my post above would give you). You might need a pretty big uvmap template texture thingy  to do this with to get sharp edge lines, but then doesn't Vue have some sort of texture caching to allow it to work with really huge texture maps (seem to remember them talking about this in some of the v6i advertising).

edit - forgot that Vue does trans maps reversed to bryce - you may not need to invert it to get the wireframe look.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 10:22 PM

Thanks flak.  Your method does work, but it isn't exactly what I wanted.  Either way, I will be playing around with it some more and I will be using a UV map.

Thx for all your help.

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 2:39 AM · edited Tue, 21 October 2008 at 2:40 AM

Hi Gary,

I've played around a bit with this back when I was creating GridModeler. Here's an image from back then. It's a simple transparent map applied to a metablob using parametric and faces mode. It's far from perfect, but I think it's as close as you can get in Vue.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.