Thu, Oct 10, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Creating Boolean cut with Infinite Planes?

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 12:05 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 4:23 AM

Let's say I want to create a long, infinite furrow in a plane... I take one plane, volume and make that the ground... Duplicate this.. I make it very thin horizontally, about the size of 10 feet wide and about 10 feet tall... I assign this infinite plane a negative value... Assign the ground infinite plane a positive value... I take the thin infinite plane and position it just slightly above the ground but extending deep into the ground... I group both of them... I don't get a long furrow that extends infinitely... Is there something I'm doing wrong, or does this not work with infinite planes??

Deathbringer ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 12:47 PM

I think you need to set them to solid then do it again, and I believe it should work. Sorry I can't check the idea, I answer most of the questions here while at work so I don't have Bryce in front of me. Work.. well take up space and surf the internet.. hehe

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 1:18 PM

Now, when you say solid, do you mean, apply a texture?? Or is there something in the infinite plane parameters that allows you to select solid... I'm not at home either otherwise I would have posted the images so people could see.. :) Thanks for the reply...

Deathbringer ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 1:22 PM

Oh man... I mean its a setting but I can't remember where its at in the interface.. I think its in the material settings, but off to the right under one of those little arrows.. Crap works sucks...hehe

bromyaur ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 3:48 PM

file_185504.jpg

The only place I saw a solid was in the terrain editor.

bromyaur ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 3:51 PM

file_185505.jpg

In the materials editor are you talking about normal, fuzzy? etc.. Figured some screenshots might jog your memory, as me and boleans just don't seem to get along I cant offer much help

Deathbringer ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 3:56 PM

Yes the first one.. change from smooth to solid.. and that should do it. ;) I hope after this much work..hehe

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for all this work, however, I'm talking infinite planes here not terrains... I can create the furrow using a terrain no problem... The idea was to use an infinite plane that way, it would just extend to the horizon... The whole thing is a study in perspective and the terrains just die out after a while and take up too much space.. Thanks for the help though..

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 9:45 PM

file_185506.jpg

Ok guys, this is what I'm trying to achieve... Right now, I'm using a cube... If I was using an infinite plane, that waterway would stretch out forever.. However, because it's a cube, even if I covered the planet earth, it would always show as shown... So, if anybody know how to do booleans with infinite planes, please let me know... Thanks...

canine ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 10:03 PM

file_185507.jpg

just make a water plane (a volume one), give it your material, and use another to do the bolean.

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 10:13 PM

Ok, I did that, and the way I did was the following: I took a volume land plane... That was my terrain... Then I duplicated that and made it into a long strip... I made the long strip negative and the terrain positive... Nothing.. I wouldn't get the long strip you're showing here... So you're telling me, make the land plane positive, make the long strip the water plane, make it negative, but transferring material of negative boolean?? Any info appreciated... Thanks...

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 10:20 PM

Hey Canine, I just tried it the other way and it didn't work either... Maybe I'm infinite plane challenged... Can you just give me some details how you did above picture.. Thanks... :)

Nak Muay ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 10:30 AM

Guys you need to remember that an infinite plane is INFINITE! You can't resize an infinite plane. What you will need to do is this. Create your volume infinite plane for the ground. Take a square boolean and strech it as far as you can see. Position the boolean to where it will cut the infinite plane. Set the plane to positive and the boolean to negative. Group them now. If you want infinte water, create an infinite water plane and place it just below the ssurface of the infinte ground plane! That will work! :)

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 12:52 PM

Unfortunately Nak, although i appreciate the comments, that does not work, as you can see from my picture above... I did exactly that and it does not extend infinitely... At one point, the boolean dies... However, Canine managed to do it, as you can see from his picture.. and from his intructions, I can't get it to happen, and he has not elaborated on this since... (Don't be afraid to give me more info canine.. :) ) So, there is something that I'm not doing, cause I cannot get the one infinite plane to cut into the other infinitely plane, infinitely... So, if you can tell me why it's not happening for me, I would appreciate it Nak...

canine ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 1:21 PM

file_185508.jpg

I sent you the br4 file, but I guess it never got to you. just make a volume water plane with the right material for your ground. (dont make a regular ground plane, as you won't be able to do any boolean stuff with it). Do the cut with another volume water plane, then drop your water in the cut with a regular (thin) water plane.

Nak Muay ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 4:49 PM

file_185510.jpg

here's a pic from the method I described earlier tradivoro. I apologize if i came across a little hearsh in my earlier post. I reread it and it sounded kinda stuffy ;) -mikel

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 8:30 PM

Canine, thank you for sending that... I probably have my work email as part of my profile and I won't get it till tomorrow... I appreciate it and will study it, cause honestly, I'm beginning to believe I'm a retard regarding this particular technique... I mean, I did it, but I was using a volume ground plane and a volume water plane... I'll try it with both water planes, one with the ground material and one for the cut... Thanks once again...

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 8:34 PM

Hey Mikel, it's ok, you didn't come across as harsh... But for whatever reason, that technique is working for your, and Bryce is sticking it's tongue out at me cause look at my picture above and you see it dies after a certain point, whereas yours creates the right effect... But like I was telling Canine, I must retarded regarding this technique... I mean, there's so many other things in Bryce I can do and for whatever reason this keeps eluding me... Would it be ok to email me the bryce file?? My email is taledar@aol.com... This way I get to see how Canine did it and how you did it... thanks...

Nak Muay ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 8:50 PM

sure an email is sent, it's not the original but its the same idea (I deleted the original) -mikel

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 9:14 PM

file_185511.jpg

Ok Mikel, your technique definitely worked... I see that the trick is to make it REALLY long... Thanks very much for the email.... I still look forward to seeing Canine's technique using the infinite planes technique...

itsrainin ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2001 at 9:10 AM

what if you used a volume ground plane as positive and then made another negative volume ground plane, made it thin then turned it on its side? Im not at my pc so i cant test this myself itsrainin

tradivoro ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2001 at 10:38 AM

That's an idea itsrainin...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.