Sun, Sep 15, 5:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 4:15 pm)

Subject: Morph World is closed.

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:21 AM

What about the hands? or the toes? are they altered enough to sell the figure? :) Heh Heh

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:24 AM

I think Daz has been pretty cool about it, Just to let you know what I think. And I see where you are coming from, But when you change those dials how and add new morphs to the face, How can you call it the same morph anymore if you remove the geometry info as mentioned.

GeorgeD ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:34 AM

Selling the character is just fine and legal. When selling it you arn't including the actual geometry only a cr2 file or a pcf file which only records the changes made. the actual obj file isn't included. As far as the morphs go Trav created them...he put his time and effort into making them. if someone takes them and alters his work..no mater how you look at it it's his work being sold in someone elses product. If he turned around and said use them freely for whatever you want commercial or non then that's fine but he didn't. He clearly stated on his site that they were for use in noncommercial work (characters not art) only. If someone wanted to use them for commercial purposes all they had to do was ask. Plain and simple.

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:34 AM

Anyway Like I said this stuff is a little confusing, But your right about the read file expressing the wishes of the morph target maker. If your going to download the morph then at least abide by the readme file Or any info at the download site. Id say that is fair enough for me.

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:39 AM

I think that's kind of an extreme stance with a morph target that may have been severely altered but fair enough if he made that clear of course. I mean he does not have a patnet on every single dial setting you know,Its one thing to use a morph target as is like your monkey man, Then another to thing to alter it into oh say a klingon. It would be changed so much that it could never be the original morph anymore.

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:40 AM

Blue Rain ... perhaps this can help you understand what's going on ... For an experienced "Morph master," let's say it takes 10-15 minutes to extract a body part, move the geometry around, make a morph target, squish the morph, and test it on the figure. So, let's say you download 10 of these morphs and put them on your model. It takes you 5 minutes at most to tweak a few dials ... verses the 100 - 150 minutes that it took the person who made the morphs to give you the ability to make that character so quickly. Look at it any way you want ... but those morphs saved you 2-3 hours of doing it yourself. For that, the person who made the morph targets should get credit.

GeorgeD ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:42 AM

The point isn't a dial setting...the morphs he shares all set to 1 on the dial..the point is that he did all the vertice pushing and pulling to create each specific morph. What you set the dial at is up to you...what the morph is used for (Commercial work) is up to him.

GeorgeD ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:44 AM

The real point to all of this is that a few bad apples couldn't be kind enough to ask permission to use them and so because of that an entire community lost a great site. I don't blame Trav in doing what he did. I would have done the same thing.

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:49 AM

HMM I belive in giving credit, However when yhou offer something free it does not always come back that way. That is kind of a let down I know I have had free stuff up before too. But I think He should know He is not just a great site lost, He was the backbone of the poser 4 product. See ya trav, Even tho I ask some freaky questions I Miss ya and so will alot of others.

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 2:54 AM

dmtyler, Thanks for making that a little more clear, I think your right about that, Making a figure easy to make makes alot of sense when it comes to giving credit and asking permission to sell. I can see how someone may feel slighted over the time they spent makeing something someone fogot to credit them on and decided to sell, Like my pentagrams I found being sold someplace recently, I wont mention this person, I already gave him all kinds of hell.

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 3:07 AM

I am a fairly new user and most of my images use morphs from morph world. I would happily buy downloads/ cds containing morphs just keep doing this. I like posette because I can morph her.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 3:29 AM

This is an incredible tragedy! I have been in the midst of a family crisis (my father had a stroke and is in the hospital) and I get the time to check what's going on and see that dear Traveler has had to close his site! I would gladly, gladly pay a membership fee for his site and his hard work! Liz Pope Dreamspinner Inc.

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 3:41 AM

Girl, You need a miracle!,I hope God finds one of those blessings in the bottom of his heart to send down to you on a sunbeam, Hope things get better for you and your family. Never ,Know trav might join poserworld, That would be cool I think, Most of us I think are members there.

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 3:56 AM

Thank you so much BlueRain for your thoughts! Really need those. Haven't been able to do anything creative in the last week. My sis (Verdie Ingram) and I have been too tired and upset and worried about those things that he used to take care of around the house and going to see him at the hospital. And, unfortunately, I haven't had the spare cash to join Poserworld. Someday soon, maybe, I hope..... Liz Pope Dreamspinner Inc.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 4:17 AM

A morph target will always retain it's internal name unless manually edited out with a text editor. To show this, I made this quick little MT with Poser's Ball prop and a magnet. AFter stretching it along X, I selected the ball and did the "spawn morph target" thing and when prompted to name the new morph target, I named it "Squish". Then I saved the ball as a .pp2 and as "Ball2". Then I double clicked on the "squish" dial and renamed it it "Squeeze". Saved that as Ball 3. Then I opened Ball2 in a text editor, which you see below. Notice the line which says targetGeom Squish. The next example down is the Ball3. It should have said targetGeom Squeeze, right? But it didn't, and THAT'S how he could tell. Renaming MT's in Poser doesn't matter, because once it's in a .pp2, or .cr2 file, the original name is there to stay, in the abscence of physically editing the text within the .cr2 or .pp2 file. prop ball_1 { storageOffset 0 0.3487 0 objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:props:ball.obj } prop ball_1 { name ball_1 on bend 1 dynamicsLock 1 hidden 0 addToMenu 1 castsShadow 1 includeInDepthCue 1 parent UNIVERSE channels { targetGeom Squish { name Squish initValue 0 hidden 0 forceLimits 4 min -100000 max 100000 trackingScale 0.02 keys prop ball_1 { storageOffset 0 0.3487 0 objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:props:ball.obj } prop ball_1 { name ball_1 on bend 1 dynamicsLock 1 hidden 0 addToMenu 1 castsShadow 1 includeInDepthCue 1 parent UNIVERSE channels { targetGeom Squish { name Squeeze initValue 0 hidden 0 forceLimits 4 min -100000 max 100000 trackingScale 0.02 keys You can also see in the second example where the new name "Squeeze" was added. That's the dial name, and not the morph name....

sinixyl ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 5:56 AM

Rofl @ post #24 and # 25! I just checked. Hoo boy here we go agian, some people never learn. No bias here you steal from the free stuff creator's you steal from all of us. What's it gonna be tar and feathering this time? Excellant tactic by the way ! Guerilla warfare to the max.

stu-art ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 9:07 AM

the greedy bunch strike again one less resource for all of us who,s next guys lannies,propsguild,chemical studios? all thats left to say is a long and safe journey Traveller and best wishes THANK YOU

neurocyber ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 10:48 AM

This is such a tragity to all who followed his guide lines. How about the Eve 4. He just released it a short time ago. Many of us felt this to be the ultimate solution by one of the most generous people in the community. All his morphs and textures are all wonderful works of art and I'm sorry to see such generostiy taken advantage of. THANKS Traveller for hanging in there as long as you have and for giving the community so much for so long.

ronmolina ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 11:49 AM

What a great site and a real nice person. Hate to see it go. Ron

gsalas ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 1:06 PM

I Remember travaler from the dark ages of the poser world. He and all of his work shed alot of light in those days. he was one of the original greats. It a real shame it had to come to this. Take care Bro... -Gabe-

Ironbear ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2001 at 3:49 PM

"oh man... the worst thing is if people ASKED, traveller woulda said YES in a second AND not asked for a cut!!! he's that generous, i saw from the tarot project. :( " You bet, April... he donated us props, webspace and everything for that tarot project. I sent him an email on his morph useage permission when we started developing our current in the works project and he sent me a reply in less than 30 minutes that said "certainly you may, just link to my site please." It's that easy to actually ask someone - it takes less than 10 minutes to write an email. And very few people I've ever asked for help in this comunity have ever been less than generous. I was slowy working my way through his rhino tutorials just before he closed up, and hadn't quite finished or mastered them. Now I never will because those tutorials are GONE. Sure the information is out there elsewhere in some form or another, but Traveler's tutes were always straightforward and easy to read. And he put enough screen captures in them to make them easy to follow. The only reason it was taking me so long to learn the tricks is because I'm modeling impaired, not any fault of the tutes. I learned magnet morphing from his tutorials and Wyrmmaster's input. And we lost things like his "Hungryman" and his Goblin characters. I'm going to start bypassing these threads when i see one - I get depressed and sad and angry everytime I read this.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Maz ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2001 at 5:30 AM

I'm very saddened to see the passing of Trav and his site. I agree wholeheartedly with all the good things said about him above. Unfortunately it seems to be a sign of the times that most people are now trying to make a few (or a lot) of bucks out of Poser. In the halcyon days of two or three years ago nearly everything on the web was offered free. There was a true spirit of comradeship in the community - even though there were a few flame wars. Nowadays just about every site has an online store. So far I've managed to resist parting with my money to any of them and I've also resisted the temptation to charge for any of my stuff. Objaction Mover is free for non commercial use only. Some people who use it commercially have requested my permission which I have instantly given for free. These I could count on the fingers of one hand. I suspect there are others using it commercially without permission. Since I don't buy their stuff I have no way of knowing. I can understand how Trav feels, especially as it takes but a moment to ask.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.