Mon, Oct 7, 3:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Terrain Editor - I suck.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 5:41 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 3:33 PM

file_427367.jpg

You guys make it look so easy :)  So if you look at the shape I have rendered, which I brought in via .bmp file.  It is hollow and the side look like the side view of the grand canyon instead of a solid color.   What steps am I missing here?

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 7:00 PM

file_427375.jpg

Did you click on 'Solid' in the terrain editor?

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 10:09 PM

That is the Step I was missing!!! :)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 10:52 PM

file_427378.jpg

Ok here is my second attempt, now I've been trying to give it that plastic look, without any luck.  I've tried searching in the forums here, I've searched on Google, I've searched on Daz, and even looked on ShareCG to see if there were any kind of Plastic Mats, but no luck.

I dont know enough about mats, to achieve a plastic look, is it a combination of Light and Mat? or is it just how the Mat is tweaked?

Right now in the attached render I'm using "Flat White" from the Basic set.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 10:53 PM

file_427379.jpg

I'm trying to get this look.

dhama ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 3:38 AM

If you take a plain mat and add a little 'reflection' to it, it should give you the look you are after. If you go to 'Objects' and then 'edit material', you'll find it near the bottom. Just move the slider about 10% to start with and see how it looks.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 4:37 AM
Forum Moderator

*Terrain Editor - I suck.

*This is true - But I'm worse than you are. :lol:

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 6:24 AM · edited Sun, 29 March 2009 at 6:28 AM

dhama: that seems to be doing the trick with the plastic look. :)

TheBryster: Oh Common!!! You are the master from Mars. :)

Now because this is done in the terrain editor, I'm guessing that is why I'm getting that "sedimentary" look on the sides?

I went into the Terrain Editor and clicked on Smoothing a couple of times and that seems to get rid of the stretch marks on the sides, but not completly.  Is there another way of doing this?

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 6:52 AM
Forum Moderator

It does take a lot of practise to get this right. I'd go along the experimental route. Try before you buy.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 7:08 AM

Quote - It does take a lot of practise to get this right. I'd go along the experimental route. Try before you buy.

Yup.. that is what I'm doing :)

What has me scratching my head, is a simple Boolean operation.

I created a cube and stretched it, I than imported a text as obj.  I made the Cube the Positive and the Text as Negative.  I grouped them together and renderd, in the hopes that the text would be carved out of the cube.  No such luck.   Is this a known issue when importing an OBJ vs using a build in primitive?

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 7:26 AM

Ok so I found Brycetechs tut on Boolean with Imported objects, which now makes sense :)

All these elements, I'm working on will come together in Photoshop to make a Concert Backstage Pass type of thing. 

I will post the end result here. :)

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 8:33 AM

Ho!  Looks like you've been working through the night (or maybe 'day') while I was rendering, and trying to sleep to the hum...

:m_sleepy:

Sounds like an interesting thing you're making, I look forward to seeing the result.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

dhama ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 10:22 AM

Just remember when saving the height map, that it's 16bit greyscale (not RGB) That should make it smoother.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 12:19 PM

Quote - Just remember when saving the height map, that it's 16bit greyscale (not RGB) That should make it smoother.

Yes, I made that mistake the first time around so I had to go back and re-do it.

And yes, I havent had much sleep this weekend.  I think I've only slept 4 hours or so.

Trying to figure out how to Make Booleans work on Imported objects in Bryce at 2:00AM...Not Fun.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 1:55 PM
Forum Moderator

Simple. Make object Solid.

Gotta love booleans! Hats-off to you for trying them out.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 29 March 2009 at 2:23 PM

Yeah.. So first I had to import the Object and "Ungroup" once that was done, I used the E Button to make object solid.  I had to Change the attributes to Negative.  Than I had to Select my Cube and change that into Positive.  Once that was all done, Select them all group again and render :)  Phew!!!

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 30 March 2009 at 9:10 AM · edited Mon, 30 March 2009 at 9:11 AM
Forum Moderator

Ah! Grasshopper! You're well on the way to becoming a Boolean Master!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.