Mon, Sep 16, 10:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: WIP - Landing bay

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:12 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 9:02 AM

file_432131.jpg

I am working on modeling and texturing a landing bay and hangers. I hope to package it up and sell it in the market place in the future, however I would like some feedback on what I have so far.

What follows is not the complete project. All vehicles shown are not included in the product as they are not made by me and are present only to show scale.

I welcome any questions, suggestions, words of encouragement, price suggestions, volunteers for testing, etc.

First image is from above with the ceiling removed to show size.
This is the main landing and take off area and is approximately 300m x 300m approximately 300m by 300m

On the right runway is the FA Thunder lift Heavy Drop Ship, followed by LCV1
on the left is Starhawk and viper ready for takoff, behind Starhawk is one of Poserworks shuttles followed by a Shadow class space fighter. Behind the viper is a starfire and an Advanced Scout Vehicle. In the back is a German D.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:14 AM

file_432134.jpg

This image is looking across the bay from front to back. all vehicles are in the same locations.

the blue doors in the back lead to taxiways and hangers.

the Airboss station is located high in the middle of the back wall seen here to the left.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:16 AM

file_432136.jpg

Here is a shot from outside.

the part sticking out that is the end of the runway is also an external door that folds up

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:18 AM

file_432137.jpg

I researched airport striping to provide some real world accuracy... or at least some similarity.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:19 AM · edited Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:20 AM

file_432139.jpg

the area marked as blast area also raises up to form a blast fence

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:20 AM

file_432140.jpg

blast fence from behind

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:21 AM

file_432141.jpg

looking out of the bay

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:21 AM

file_432142.jpg

inner door closed, slides down from above

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:22 AM

file_432143.jpg

Airboss station

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:22 AM · edited Tue, 02 June 2009 at 9:23 AM

file_432145.jpg

and one view of the taxi way

the blue door at the back is the same size as the blue doors in the landing bay.

Klebnor ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 10:50 AM

Very cool.  The walls / doors look stone like - a metal finish would be more appropriate.  Also, the stripes on the tarmac should be dirty - not pristine.

Otherwise, nice job.

Klebnor

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

chriscox ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 10:51 AM

Currently it is lacking details to really show its scale.  In the picture

Quote - inner door closed, slides down from above

if the tiny craft weren't there I would think this was the size of a typical 4-lane highway. 

Additionally, there is a splash patten that look much too large to me.  To me it looks like pattern form a spilled cup of coffee or maybe a gallon of paint and yet it is larger than a cargo plane.

Chris Cox

DanaTA ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 11:41 AM

I think if maybe you throw in a couple of M4's it would give an indication of scale.

Dana

LukeA ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 11:51 AM

All good feedback for you I can't add too but I do like what you are doing.

LukeA

My latest novel

chriscox ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 12:21 PM · edited Tue, 02 June 2009 at 12:32 PM

Also something I just remember, If this is for Poser it should look good when People are being used as the focus of the picture.    None of the pictures show whether this hangar would work well that way or not.

Chris Cox

chriscox ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 12:23 PM

Quote - I think if maybe you throw in a couple of M4's it would give an indication of scale.

Dana

M4 tanks????  assault rifles???  BWMs???  Motorways????

Chris Cox

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 12:32 PM

Great feedback everybody. I really appreciate it.

scale is really hard to convey with something this large. I am trying to keep the textures small and the poly count low, but still convey size because I know if I make a large space, people will want to populate it with lots of stuff and poser doesn't seem to handle lots of stuff (lots of polygons and big textures) well.

I am working on fixing textures as suggested.

I assume that Dana was requesting a Michael 4 even though my first thought was "assault rifle?"

I have a render working now with some low rez people for scale.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 12:54 PM

file_432168.jpg

crew on deck

chriscox ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 1:12 PM · edited Tue, 02 June 2009 at 1:12 PM

You should be able to get a sense of scale for the scene without have to add other items to it.  Consider showing scale by including elements that have recognizable scales such as doors, windows, ladders, gangways with railings, stairs etc. 

2 or 3 rows of widows on some of the walls can go a long way to show how large the walls really are.

For me personally when buying Poser scenes it’s a matter of is something that would take me a lot of time to do myself or is it something really unique.  So far for me your Landing Bay doesn’t meet either of those criteria.  I do consider myself a decent modeler, texturer and rigger so I may not be representative of the typical Poser buyer.

Chris Cox

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 1:35 PM

chriscox,

Windows and doors i think i can do. something like the airboss station for other walls?

does the scale in the scene with the taxiway look better than the bay?

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 1:41 PM

Looks good!  Maybe add some greebles and nurnies.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 1:48 PM

file_432175.jpg

hummm, should probably do something about that floor texture.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 2:01 PM

Quote - Looks good!  Maybe add some greebles and nurnies.

i can try that again. I was never really happy with the way things turned out before.

chriscox ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 2:22 PM

Quote - chriscox,

Windows and doors i think i can do. something like the airboss station for other walls?

does the scale in the scene with the taxiway look better than the bay?

If you hadn't pointed out it was an airboss station I would have though that it was a sensor point with cameras and listening devices or maybe a fire alarm or PA system.

The taxiway does look better partially because it a smaller space.  Without the vehicles for scale I would assume the small doors on the sides are the size of large garage doors maybe 2.5 to 3.5 meters tall.

Chris Cox

Klebnor ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 2:42 PM

Manways with doors coming up from the floor would help with the scale issue.  Also, perhaps hanging hose stations (fuel, water, gases) from the ceiling.  Some wheeled ladders?

Klebnor

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

DanaTA ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 2:46 PM

Yes, I meant Michael 4.  Putting a human into a scene definitely shows the scale.  Doors and windows are subjective.  A window could be for a person, for a grand view, or just to let some light in.  Without the human factor, you couldn't tell how big the window was.  Same for doors.  ChrisCox's mention of the bay doors is a perfect example.  Other doors would be the same.  Were they for humans, or some ten foot tall aliens?  Or even larger alien beasties?  Without the being in the frame, there is no telling.

Dana

DanaTA ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 2:47 PM

Quote - crew on deck

Now I can see that this is huge!  Thank you!

Dana

chriscox ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 3:53 PM

Quote - hummm, should probably do something about that floor texture.

You should try using advanced materials so things look good on both large and small scales

Chris Cox

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 4:39 PM

Quote - > Quote - hummm, should probably do something about that floor texture.

You should try using advanced materials so things look good on both large and small scales

I am making use of advanced materials in several places.
for example the red and yellow stripes around the blast fences are done entirely with nodes.

the floor is actually a small tiled base color, a dirt image and a cloud node to give variations.

the walls are a tiled bump map on a gray colored wall with clouds mixed in.

i think the doors are the only thing that is just a straight up texture map.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 11:08 AM

file_432399.jpg

do doors help?

chriscox ( ) posted Sat, 06 June 2009 at 2:28 PM

Quote - do doors help?

That helps a little.  The tall thin door looks like a personnel door and that gives a feel to how really large the space is.  Also the lighting is better than in some of your earlier picture so the Airboss station looks more like a structure that would have people in it.  

Here are ea few other observations. 

The main bay doors are nearly the size of foot ball fields (American Football that is) and yet they just look like plain old house garage doors.

A similar problem with the lights, they look like regular dome lights just made a lot bigger.  Lights that look like those used for baseball parks might be better.

You may want to consider how and where the loading and unloading cargo and passengers is done and add details for this.  Same with fueling and maintenance.  Additionally what equipment is use for emergencies and where is kept.  Another thing to consider is the life support systems, heating, cooling, air recycling etc.

I personally feel that overall your landing bay is lacks interesting details.

BTW I consider Kibarreto’s Starcarrier to be your competition. (http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/starcarrier?item=7061&_m=d ). 

So you may want to consider what is it about your landing bay that would make people want to buy and use it instead of another one?

Chris Cox

fls13 ( ) posted Sat, 06 June 2009 at 11:08 PM

Looks great!

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 3:53 PM

file_432572.jpg

more details

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 4:05 PM

This looks great!

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

My cousin Jack can speak to beans. That's right.... Jack and the beans talk

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 4:10 PM

textures are not done yet.
one of the challenges i am facing with this is that i am trying to keep the poly count down so not to overwhelm some people's computers.

With that in mind i am trying to provide enough detail to make it look good, without providing every little thing.

I see what you mean about the doors and lights looking out of scale. thus far i have not found a better solution, but I continue to work on it.

as for loading and maintenance, it is my intent that that activity be done in the hangers which I am currently building to fit beyond the blue numbered doors.

The concept I had for the landing bay is that it is just the runway, not where the loading, fueling and repair take place.

Part of the reason I chose this concept is that if I provided large open spaces where loading and repairs take place, users might be inclined to pack the space with props and multiple ships to make the place look busy. With the smaller spaces they can look busy without causing some user's computers to melt down.

Klebnor ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 5:42 PM

Crouching Tiger:

Looks very good at this point, the details you have added definitely enhance the scale.  If I purchase this, I will change the wall shaders to a procedural with a metallic overtone but some granular detail.  The walls still look like a medieval castle to my eye.

Also, I urge you once again to scuff up the stripes.  Even assuming there are no wheeled undercarriages on any vehicles used, they would wear due to blast, wear and tear, and sweeping for debris.

Don't misread my critique, I think you're doing some stellar work here.

Klebnor

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 6:14 PM

file_432583.jpg

Requesting clearance for landing... 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 9:21 PM

Klebnor,
It is my intent that it will not be necessary for you to change these textures when you get them and I would like to assure you that scuffing up the stripes is on the "to do list".

I do appreciate all critiques and take them at face value.

chriscox ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2009 at 10:45 PM · edited Sun, 07 June 2009 at 10:45 PM

I think the extra details really add a lot.  Good job there.

Here are some more observations.

For the lights you might consider doing something that looks like banks of lights and then hanging them from the roof like your current lights or placing them near the tops of the walls angled downward light stadium lights.

For some ideas about the hanger doors you might want to Google images of the new Cowboys stadium.  Not only does it have a huge movable roof but also one end of the stadium opens up with a bunch of sliding panels.

The horizontal placement of the windows looks a bit haphazard to me.

It seems to me the bay has a lot of wasted floor space for an area devoted to take offs and landings.  You might consider adding support columns in the wasted space in the middle of the bay, maybe even having another “airboss station” wrapped around or built into one.

Why if the bay roof so high?  Because anything that needs that much head room is not getting in through any of the doors.

Regarding the material on the walls, I don’t like the way the highlights and shadows of the material ignore the contours of the walls.

And please feel free to ignore any or all of my comments as it suits you

Chris Cox

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 08 June 2009 at 7:57 AM

Quote - Requesting clearance for landing... 😉

Delta Echo 730 clearance not available at this time. :)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 08 June 2009 at 10:14 AM

I'll give the light and door ideas a try.

the idea behind the random look of the windows was crossing the windows with nurnies and greebles. I'm not entirely happy with the look yet.

the roof is not much higher than the exterior doors. see my 7th post. the doors to the hangers are considerably smaller, but the hangers are not designed to accommodate the larges ships.

The size of the exterior door is such that it will accommodate the Dystopia heavy lander Basilisk (at least I hope, not having the ship I had to ask how large it is)

I created the bay as large as it is to allow long views without turning off walls (which can also be done). My thought was also that the large volume of air would mean that the exhausts and fires (crashes) would take longer to consume the air.

As for the wall materials, I am having several problems with them.

Thus far I have not been able to get them to look metallic. Even using other people's “metal” shaders have not resulted in a metal look. I know part of the problem with previous images has been my lighting. But I think the size of these walls also throws some things off.

I'll not ignore any comments, I may not be willing or able to address them, but I won't ignore them.

Klebnor ( ) posted Mon, 08 June 2009 at 11:21 AM

Hidden Dragon:

Don't take my comment on shaders the wrong way, I generally use Carrara, so changing shaders is a daily practice.  It would simplify things if you make the walls a separate shading domain.

Good work so far!

Klebnor

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:50 PM · edited Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:50 PM

file_433141.jpg

taking a break from the main bay i am finishing some modeling on the taxi ways and hangers.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:51 PM

file_433142.jpg

breaking down the image above.

this is the small hanger

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:51 PM

file_433143.jpg

the large hanger

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:52 PM

file_433144.jpg

the taxiway for the small hanger (4 doors to small hanger, two on each side)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:52 PM · edited Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:53 PM

file_433145.jpg

and the taxiway to the large hangers, (2 doors, one on each side)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:53 PM

file_433146.jpg

inside the large hanger (lots of texture work yet to be done)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 3:54 PM

file_433147.jpg

inside the small hanger (less texture work yet to be done)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 4:02 PM

file_433148.jpg

the taxiways and hangers are modular so you can line up as many as you like. each wall, ceiling and floor can be turned off for optimal camera angles.

in this image it is the large hanger in the upper left, small hanger in the upper right and taxiways on the bottom

the door of the large hanger is the same size as the "through" doors on the taxiways so you could line up a large hanger on the end of the taxiway

chriscox ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 9:05 PM

Glad to see you  are still working on the landing bay.  I'll look over the latest pictures more closely and will post some comments on them later.

Chris Cox

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.