Wed, Oct 2, 3:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: DAZ3 Studio Advanced

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:50 AM · edited Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:50 AM

All right I'd appreciate that.  I am considering resetting the content database and manually forcing it to go to just specific directories rather than ever running search again, since I have (for example) all my free items staged separately, well, that kind of made a mess.  I really dislike the content browser database, to be honest, is there any way to turn it off and just browse by what files are actually there rather than all this scan for new files crap?

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 2:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=2237&page=14

file_433434.jpg

OK, I FINALLY got it all set up.  *whew*

Here is the setup that I find comfortable.  On the right hand side, there's a little spot where there's 3 dots, and when you click that you can collapse the right-hand side tabs.  Kinda nice :)

When I run the "Search", I run the specific directories.  I've put the link to the tutorial I wrote, starting where you search for content.  You can easily delete directories this way, too.  Let me know what else I can help with :)

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 3:38 PM

Since I make a lot of content, I really dislike the whole "scan for new content" aspect of the content database.  I guess it can't be turned off huh.

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 3:45 PM

I'm not sure what you mean.  If you save your content in a pre-linked runtime, it will have that content in it, just like if you install new content, just like Poser.  If you want to search for content, it will auto scan, but if you want to manually add content (The Add button on the left hand side of the Preferences dialog, under the Directories tab), you have to select one item at a time.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 3:48 PM

I mean, the list of files and directories show in D|S (at least the way it is set up by default) is a copy of what is actually there - if I go to a file browser and move files, or create files outside of D|S, I have to "scan for new content" to get it to appear in D|S.  Is there some way to turn this off and just show a realtime listing of what files and directories are there?

My Freebies

bopperthijs ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 4:09 PM

I also disliked the automatic scan for new content, you can switch it off in the preferences (F2) under the directories tab, you can also add you own runtime directories there, sso you can decide yourself what folders you want in your content map. In fact you can organise your whole content folder here. There is an advanced tab which makes it even easier, but I don't know if that''s also in the free version. Hope this will help

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

3anson ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 4:42 PM

change your content browser view to either 'view folders as list' or 'view folders as tree'
when the content pane is open(in font of the scene pane) at the top right is a down pointing arrow, click on that to get your choces of how you view the content.

sorry if this sounds condescending, but i do not know how much experience you have with the Studio interface.
either view will show exactly how the folders in the runtime are on the hard-drive.

if the Content Manager is not to your taste you can rearrange the folders how you would like , as long as you stay within the constraints of a Poser type runtime.

only caveat is that DS specific content should be kept in the main content folder, although certain files can be kept in the same folder as poser ones of the same file name, and DS will automatically load its own file when you double click on something to load it into the scene, ie material settings.
hope this helps.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 4:50 PM

I don't think I'm getting across the basic irritation, which is that the "content database" is not a real time listing of what files are in which directories.  I don't know how to express this more clearly.

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:10 PM

Quote - I don't think I'm getting across the basic irritation, which is that the "content database" is not a real time listing of what files are in which directories.  I don't know how to express this more clearly.

Then you would essentially HAVE to scan for content in order for the stuff to show up if this is the case.

Example: You just finish a bathing suit for Stephanie and you put it in it's own directory. You mean that DazStudio won't see it unless you rescan for content???? I mean, in Poser it just shows up. That's what you want from DazStudio, correct?

Just trying to clarify ;o).

Laurie

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:14 PM

Yes, that's what I don't like.

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:26 PM

AH, I get it.  Have you tried just going into another directory and then going back into the former directory?  I haven't tried this in DS3, but it worked for me in DS2.

3anson ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:41 PM

no, the Content Manager database has to be built by the user. that is why, if you are in either of the category views, that all new content shows up in the 'unassigned' category after a scan for content..
it has been designed for users to set up their content any way that they like to work with.
you can create categories and name them anything you like. it is not a strict heirarchy like the Poser runtime. also it does not physically move any files on the hard-drive.as i said in my previous post you can view the content in more of a Poser layout in the 'view folder as'  content views.

any database has to have its data put into the correct categories, usually by an operator.
i do not personally know any other way of inputting data into a data base.
spreadsheets may be able to auto sort chunks of data, i do not know, i have never used a spreadsheet.
even with the standard Poser runtimes, you have to make sure,yourself, that  the installed files go into the correct folder, and you set up the runtimes to suit your workflow.
in the database you can have all files that relate to an item, whether it be a prop, texture set , or clothing set  for instance i have Dementia by ValDart and all the texture sets plus props, and the character set. all in the same category, so everything is in one place. with Poser, as i understand it, you would have to have a dedicated runtime to do the same, where you would have to manually drag and drop all the various files into there respective folder inside the runtime or make sure the paths are right when you point your installer or unzip a clothingprop set etc.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:56 PM

Quote - Yes, that's what I don't like.

Pffft....I don't like that either ;o).

I create content as well and I have an empty runtime linked into Poser for just that purpose. That way, I know where the stuff is and it's easy to grab the stuff in that runtime and pack it up for upload.

Laurie

j_blood ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:09 PM

I've been using poser and d|s for a long time, first i have p4(pp) and D|S(1.2 or so) and at first studio impresed me in that it haves a faster and accurate render than poser.
Okay from my point of view that's a goood point for D|S, but when I came across with the shader system in p6 it shoked me, i havent see something similar(powerful yet easy to use) since Flamingo(Rhino photorrealistic render engine) but now D|S came with the same thing ..... I don't know why all that noise about, P8 will be released soon and, what it will be?
To me, poser have some good reasons to still be on my hd, i.e. it's easy to make the pose you want, the shader system is powerful yet stable, of course we all want a mighty program that let you render over a network, make caustics, volumes, hdribl, gi/radiosity, full raytracing and more!
but, that program, as far as I know, does not exist (yet) so if Daz makes a bettes Studio, and give soime of that for free, hey I'm happy with that, and if charges for the plugins, we're taking great programs for our money, and the D|S base release always have behaved great to me

...wow that sounds like some at daz wrote it...

and last but not least I can only make daz run into my Slackware!!!!
:thumbupboth:

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:19 PM

I guess this will boil down to who likes which best. ;o).

Most will go with what they're used to and comfortable with. Maybe a little back and forth between the two, but one will get used much more than the other.

Me, Poser for now. I'm used to it, for better or worse. It's comfortable now because I'm used to it. I'd like to learn D|S, but it's gonna be awhile til I can do much. Then who knows? Each has it's pluses and minuses.

Laurie

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:19 PM

I think longtime D|S users must become so accustomed to the content database that they stop noticing it.  I can't explain otherwise why I'm failing so badly to make myself understood (at least LaurieA gets what I'm saying).  I get the impression that there is no way to bypass the content DB, which sucks pretty badly but whatever (don't crucify me for not liking this feature please).

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:26 PM · edited Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:29 PM

Quote - ... I get the impression that there is no way to bypass the content DB, which sucks pretty badly but whatever (don't crucify me for not liking this feature please).

I for one would never do that ;o). Like I said, I don't like it much either, but Daz must have had their reason's for setting it up the way they did. Maybe they just never thought to make sure the content directories update when something new is there. But for that, there would have to be something running in the background all the time and that wouldn't be good. That, I REALLY don't like...LOL.

For the content directories in Daz to work like Poser, there will just HAVE to be two different content directories; one for D|S and one for Poser. No getting around it apparently.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:32 PM

Quote - There are programming methods that can handle changes to filesystems without making a lot of overhead .  But oh well.

They have it set up so that D|S will scan for new content on opening? If so, does it still go thru EVERYTHING (ugh)? Or does it know the difference between the previous scan and what's different in the new? That would be a mess if it had to chug thru all of it over and over. I for one have GIGS and GIGS of content on my machine. Oooo.

Laurie

coldrake ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:14 PM

You don't have to scan for new content on opening. If you want a new directory, go to Edit/Preferences/Directories and click on *Add  *then navigate to your new directory, click ok then Apply and Accept. Close DAZ Studio, reopen it and your new directory will be listed.

If you want to add a new folder, create your folder, open DAZ Studio and it will be there.

Unless I'm completely missing what you're talking about.......

Coldrake

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:39 PM · edited Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:44 PM

Hi coldrake!

I guess what he/she/we mean is that for the directory to be seen takes an extra step. When you drop a runtime folder over your Poser runtime folder all the directories are there when Poser opens without any further action from the user. Really I guess it's no more a pain in the rear than linking external runtimes, the only difference being when you create or put a new folder/folders in a linked external runtime, it's in Poser then and there. I guess you have to rescan for D|S unless it's a folder/directory created in D|S - IF it's a previously scanned Poser directory that's been updated with new folders and content.

Laurie

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:44 PM

No, you can set it to scan manually (in which case it scans all your pre-selected content directories), but I'd just as soon have the option to not use the content DB at all and manually drill around between folders.  The scan doesn't take all that long after the first time you do it but - never mind, it's the way it is so it doesn't matter.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:45 PM

Quote - I guess what he/she/we mean is that for the directory to be seen takes an extra step.

YES EXACTLY.

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:46 PM

Ah, ya wanna go content huntin' ;o). I didn't realize you want to look everytime you want to add something without having the content directories loaded in D|S. Now I got it! LOL.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:49 PM · edited Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:50 PM

Quote -
I guess what he/she/we mean is that for the directory to be seen takes an extra step.

I guess I should be referring to content rather than directory. Chances are THEY are already there, you just can't see anything you've added to it unless you scan again. For me, I'd HAVE to scan again everytime I open. I'm always adding things. ;o)

Laurie

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:49 PM

Quote - I didn't realize you want to look everytime you want to add something without having the content directories loaded in D|S.

Well no, I don't want to "look" (i.e., run the "scan for new content" feature) every time but - well - I give up.  I am going to go spend some time reading English grammar textbooks because evidently I just completely fail at my native language.

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:51 PM

Quote - > Quote - I didn't realize you want to look everytime you want to add something without having the content directories loaded in D|S.

Well no, I don't want to "look" (i.e., run the "scan for new content" feature) every time but - well - I give up.  I am going to go spend some time reading English grammar textbooks because evidently I just completely fail at my native language.

I got what you meant the first time. You want the content to act JUST LIKE POSER'S. There when you open, no matter what you've added recently.

Laurie

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:05 PM

Thanks, I was having a real Twilight Zone moment there.

My Freebies

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:10 PM

Easy to do when you are talking to an imp with a flower earring. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:17 PM

Quote - Easy to do when you are talking to an imp with a flower earring. 😉

HEY! I resemble that ;o). LOL.

I DO have a tendency  to not get my point across a lot...hehe.

Laurie

coldrake ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:46 PM

file_433446.jpg

Hi Laurie!

Quote -
I guess I should be referring to content rather than directory. Chances are THEY are already there, you just can't see anything you've added to it unless you scan again.

I can see everything just by adding or changing folders.

Quote - You want the content to act JUST LIKE POSER'S. There when you open, no matter what you've added recently.

If you add new content, add/move folders in a directory it will.

Quote - when you create or put a new folder/folders in a linked external runtime, it's in Poser then and there.

Same as DAZ Studio. ;)

Quote - I guess you have to rescan for D|S unless it's a folder/directory created in D|S - IF it's a previously scanned Poser directory that's been updated with new folders and content.

I never scan anything, I've just added directories through the Edit/Preferences/Directories and everything is fine.

I added 2 new directories, one located in my 3D folder, and one on my desktop, then added new folders and copy and pasted some content. I opened DAZ Studio and everything is there, (see image) no scanning involved.

If I'm still missing the boat, I'll just paddle ashore. :)

Coldrake

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 10:10 PM

file_433447.jpg

> Quote - Is there some way to turn this off and just show a realtime listing of what files and directories are there?

Don't use the Content Database (categories view.)  Use a folder view and you will be viewing your content folders as they are in your hard drive. 

(As 3anson replied Posted Tue, Jun 23, 2009 4:42 pm...)

Quote - change your content browser view to either 'view folders as list' or 'view folders as tree'
when the content pane is open(in font of the scene pane) at the top right is a down pointing arrow, click on that to get your choces of how you view the content.

View Folders should have been default.  View Categories is very annoying to people with established poser content folder structure. 

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 10:21 PM

I'm hoping that users will post d|s3 adv. renders in gallery here.  so far, based on looking over the thumbs for a minute or two, I'm not seeing anything yet.  I'm guessing that the ds3 renders will look carrara-like, whilst the old ds2 renders look like poser.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 2:51 AM

file_433454.jpg

Okay, I understand what I was screwing up now.  This is the default directory add screen, and adding a Poser runtime here with this option set will show you directories, but since they don't contain any *.DS* files, they appear to be empty.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 2:53 AM

file_433455.jpg

This is where I should have had it before I added the Poser runtime, and how I have it set now, and it works the way I want it to (copy a file from file browser window and it immediately appears in the file list).  I think the combination of this and the Categories views (which I don't think I'll ever use) was confusing me immensely.

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 2:53 AM

That is true.  Use the pull down menu (The arrow), and you'll get the chance to add Poser content, with the Poser content showing up :)

patorak ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 8:08 AM

Hey, I got a great idea...how about a daz studio forum!?!

Maybe we could even allow commercial post,  like this thread,  there.

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 8:28 AM

"View Folders should have been default.  View Categories is very annoying to people with established poser content folder structure"

Never a truer word spoken. I use View Folders As Tree and avoid the whole content Db thing. I find that it's nothing but a pain, although I don't doubt some people like it.

pjz,

I can see you're making a determined attempt to master DS, so if I may, I'd like to offer some advice. As you've already figured out, the Preferences dialog allows you to add Runtimes by content type and the Tree view lets you see them as they are on your HDD. If you're happy with that, I'ld stick with it and forget the content Db altogether. So, on the topic of library structure, here are some of the things you can do in DS which I like.

1. Right-click any folder name> Create new sub-folder / Rename / Delete / Browse to folder location.
  2. Right-click any thumbnail to Load / Cut / Copy / Delete / Rename / Browse / Create custom action
  3. Left-click to select any thumbnail (CTRL-click to multi-select) and drag to a new folder.
  4. Use the 2 top-right arrows in the content pane to go back/forward between the folders you've browsed.

Create Custom Action

This is a great function. Let's say you create a custom action for a figure. A new menu category will appear called 'Scripts' and your custom action will be listed in it. When you click it, that figure will load in DS. You can create a custom action for anything - figures. props, MATs, poses, lights and cameras.

If you want to go even further, open the Customise dialog (Edit> Customise or press F3) and in the left-hand pane, expand the 'Custom' list. You'll see your action there. If you open the Toolbars tab in the right-hand pane, you can drag the custom action to a toolbar. You can also create new toolbars (right-click> Add Toolbar), and switch them off/on.

So for example, you can make your own toolbar (and icons of you want) and add figures or presets to it. Rather than looking through folders for frequently used figures, one click on the toolbar icon will load them.

Another thing you can do in Customise is to expand the lists in the left-hand pane and right-click an item to change the keyboard shortcut. I've assigned my own hotkeys to the entire UI and it's agreat way to speed up your workflow.

You should also take a good look through Preferences (press F2) and change a few things. It's set by default to view small icons, which I find useless, and there are a few other things you might not want, like creating a new camera for every scene.

The last thing you might want to change is the UI itself. There are 2 ways to do this - Styles and Layouts. In the menu View> Interface Style, you can choose a style and in the same menu is an option to customise some of the colors. Interface Layouts gives you a variety of options and you can save any style or layout. It will be added to the list and you can switch between them with one click.

Basically, what I'm saying here is that DS isn't exactly like Poser, but once you start to get the hang of it, you'll find that there are lots of things you can do with the UI and library which can't be done in Poser. One isn't better than the other - they're just different, that's all.

mac

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 8:41 AM

Btw, I just found a link to a tutorial which might be helpful. (I haven't actually read it, but someone recommended it).

http://www.sharecg.com/v/29425/pdf/word-doc-tutorial/Reorganizing-Your-Content-in-DAZ-Studio

mac

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 12:45 PM

Quote - This is where I should have had it before I added the Poser runtime, and how I have it set now, and it works the way I want it to (copy a file from file browser window and it immediately appears in the file list).  I think the combination of this and the Categories views (which I don't think I'll ever use) was confusing me immensely.

Cool! Glad you figured it out (and that it works like Poser)...hehe.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 12:48 PM · edited Wed, 24 June 2009 at 12:50 PM

Quote - Hey, I got a great idea...how about a daz studio forum!?!

Maybe we could even allow commercial post,  like this thread,  there.

Well, you could move it to the DazStudio forum, but it has just as much right to be here as there. If it didn't, I think JenX or someone else would have moved it by now. We are mostly Poser people talking about the difference between Poser and D|S3 and the benefits of one to the other. Right?

But I appreciate your cynicism patorak :o).

Laurie

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 1:03 PM

We're also mostly talking about the free version, so I don't know how "commercial" comes into play.

Heads up in case people missed it:  Area Lights and Global Illumination ARE included in the free version of D|S 3.

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 1:22 PM

Quote - We're also mostly talking about the free version, so I don't know how "commercial" comes into play.

Heads up in case people missed it:  Area Lights and Global Illumination ARE included in the free version of D|S 3.

Really? I guess I'll have to take the time to learn it then...sigh.

talks to herself  I've got no time, no time.

;o)

Laurie

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 1:31 PM

We are mostly Poser people talking about the difference between Poser and D|S3 and the benefits of one to the other. Right?

with tutorials on how to use DS3. dry tone

personally I think the threads moved into where it should moved now.

3anson ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 5:48 PM

what's the prob? if you don't want to learn anything about DS, don't read the thread!!!

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 12:41 PM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 12:42 PM

The thread is fine here.  If it needed to be moved, I'd have done it by now.  Complaining isn't going to change it.

Besides, if I had to move every non-poser thread, all of the python, modelling, texturing, etc. threads wouldn't be here, either.  You can't actually program in Poser, model in poser (without using the primitives, yes, Geep, I know, LOL), or texture inside Poser.  

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 1:03 PM

Quote - ...Besides, if I had to move every non-poser thread, all of the python, modelling, texturing, etc. threads wouldn't be here, either.  You can't actually program in Poser, model in poser (without using the primitives, yes, Geep, I know, LOL), or texture inside Poser.  

That and the fact that a lot of Poser content creators either already create the same content for D|S or would like to :o) (like myself).

Laurie

raven ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 1:18 PM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 1:21 PM

You can texture inside of Poser, procedurally inside the material room :)
I guess you mean painted bitmaps :)

Python queries would still be allowed in this forum according to the forum header, because that would fall under (quoted from the header) 'our goal is to create an excellent learning environment for those of us wanting to learn new aspects to make our Poser-including artwork better' part and Python scripts are an aspect of Poser, and therefore so is the learning of them. The forum header doesn't say anything about doing everything inside of Poser (although PhilC's PoserPocketKnife lets you open up a Python pz3edit program so you could write a script inside of Poser!)  :)

Just joshin' with ya JenX! :)

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 1:19 PM

I'm going to have to start sticking my fingers in my ears and blowing raspberries. 

raven ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 1:22 PM

I'm only kidding  :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.