Tue, Oct 1, 9:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT: My wife hates my avatar

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:00 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 7:45 PM

So I was reading the forum in front of my wife. Big mistake.

She saw my avatar and demanded to know why that "blotchy man" is on all my posts.

I said, he's not blotchy, he's a mythical Koi-man. You've never heard of those?

She answered "that is disgusting."

OK. I need a new avatar. What should it be?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:04 PM

lol  You would not be the first whose spouse didn't "get" their avatar ;)  Good luck finding an "appropriate" one ;)

Jeni

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:06 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaderman!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:09 PM

IMVHO koi-man is o.k., but ya could try:

• a koi fish
  • a cute girl in a bikini

the latter is always popular in some circles

LukeA ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:38 PM

LOL my wife hates the evil clowns so I had to change. Honestly I think you are capable of so much more BB. Why not a really cool raytraced head? Glass or chrome.

LukeA

My latest novel

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:45 PM

Funny that you say that. To me, a glass or chrome shader is super trivial as it consists only of one node in either case. The fish scale shader was very difficult - 100% procedural, you know.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:47 PM

How does your wife feel about mine?

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:51 PM

She didn't say. Intrigued maybe?

I specifically asked her, what should I have, a giant tongue (and I pointed to yours)? She glared at me.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:52 PM

What's your email, bagginsbill "at gmail.com"?

My Freebies

LukeA ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 10:56 PM

LOL I know it was partly a joke. Why not a picture of you? Maybe photo-manipulate it.

LukeA

My latest novel

TheOwl ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 11:00 PM

She's just testing you of how much of you she can control.

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 11:00 PM

I actually have a yahoo email address that I'll just send something off to, hopefully that works.

My Freebies

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 11:29 PM

Getting angry over something that has absolutely no affect on her life whatsoever. Typical!

TZORG ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 1:07 AM

I think it should be zoomed in a little, if there's more detail to see

It's not the tool used, it's the tool using it

Casette ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 1:27 AM

You don't need a new avatar. You need a new wife

:lol:

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 1:54 AM

HAHA!
Hey bagginsbill will you answer a question for me?....

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2775168

(I dont mean to hijack your thread)

But I agree with missnancy if you want to change the pic and keep the koi, go with a fish ....

I wouldn't though, it's easy to pick you out of a crowd here and read the "real" answers!

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

deci6el ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 2:52 AM

I've known you by that avatar for a long time, and she is only now noticing? 

Similarly, my wife just yesterday looked at my avatar and I had to explain it to her as if she had never seen it.

login names and avatars are part of that dwindling realm of do as you please.  When someone comes along and suggests your avatar or login sends the wrong message, well, I'm uncomfortable with that level of control in a personal preference setting.

That said I wish it were as easy to change my login name as it is my avatar because sometimes we want to change.

Keep your avatar as you would like, or get closer.

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 5:39 AM

Let's see,.... instead of Koi scales, how about the plaids, or tartans, or cable knits/
rubs chin

So, you could simply replace the shaders...
scratches head

Hmmm - those shouldn't look very blotchy, I don't think.

Eternal Hobbyist

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 6:28 AM · edited Tue, 30 June 2009 at 6:32 AM

Hay I modeled my "chrome" skull.guess i am going to half to paint it now ;)
Theaves are causeing me alot of greaf over my name.

consider your self lucky you have a wife.
single is lonely.

women loves roses.
get her a few dozen she'll be looking at the roses.no time to look at your avatar :)

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Synpainter ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 6:36 AM · edited Tue, 30 June 2009 at 6:38 AM

This is a funny thread...I too have had similar discussions for Avatars I used on some other sites in the past....

My .02 ...I find something similar to this appropriate, Being a Master Material Room GearHead :)

Maybe have a "Design My Avatar" contest, I am sure you would get some very interesting entries.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 7:16 AM

What a wonderful opportunity you were given to execute a fine landing in a friendly place, and how you squandered it.

You were on a good approach... "What should I have?..." but you completely overshot the runway with "... a giant tongue?".

Count yourself lucky you only received a glare from the control tower. I wouldn't grant you landing rights at my airfield for a week.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:07 AM

Solution:

Use my avatar. Your wife will hate it so much that she will beg you the change back to your old one!

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:18 AM

file_433845.jpg

How 'bout this one? It's not an image, *per se*, I grant you. And, it would need some work to be legible at avatar-size.

But it does have a certain charm.

:lol:

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:28 AM

CaptainJack1 - that is perfect for Bagginsbill !

Eternal Hobbyist

shuy ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:54 AM

Render some bombshell girl and suggest your wife that she can choose:
"spoted face" or "big uns"

I'm sure that your avatar stay not changed.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:59 AM

Hey, BB, Why not have a full figure koi-woman as your avatar. Betcha the missus would beg you to change it back...

:b_funny:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 9:14 AM

That's why I play it safe.  Who argues with a superhero?

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 9:32 AM

Quote - So I was reading the forum in front of my wife. Big mistake.

She saw my avatar and demanded to know why that "blotchy man" is on all my posts.

I said, he's not blotchy, he's a mythical Koi-man. You've never heard of those?

She answered "that is disgusting."

OK. I need a new avatar. What should it be?

noooo.   I wouldn't recognize you without your avatar on.  :b_uncertain:

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 10:06 AM

I know. Drop the koi shader. Then find this thread about this really great shader system called VSS. Make sure you get the latest version. Depending on if you render your new avatar in P6 or P7-PPro, you will have to play with the Gamma correction settings. But for God's sake make sure you use Gamma Correction. Also I suggest you look at another thread about using AO to add realism. Of course you could hop on over to the node cult on RDNA and read how to add some smoke, some procedural clouds in the background and then some procedural grass. But to add the icing on the cake make sure you add the free sky dome and use an IBL light. But watch the intensity of your IBL light.

You can find all of this ,thanks to Acadia, at the top of these forums in a thread fround here

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

There are a couple of users here that I think might be able to help you figure this all out. One is Ice-Boy,  another is RobinsVeil and finally carodan.

Hope this helps.

:b_unbelievable:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

dasquid ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 11:20 AM

You are joking right? Bagginsbill is the one who MADE the VSS shader. lol (just in case you aren't joking and didn't realize)

Quote - I know. Drop the koi shader. Then find this thread about this really great shader system called VSS. Make sure you get the latest version. Depending on if you render your new avatar in P6 or P7-PPro, you will have to play with the Gamma correction settings. But for God's sake make sure you use Gamma Correction. Also I suggest you look at another thread about using AO to add realism. Of course you could hop on over to the node cult on RDNA and read how to add some smoke, some procedural clouds in the background and then some procedural grass. But to add the icing on the cake make sure you add the free sky dome and use an IBL light. But watch the intensity of your IBL light.

You can find all of this ,thanks to Acadia, at the top of these forums in a thread fround here

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

There are a couple of users here that I think might be able to help you figure this all out. One is Ice-Boy,  another is RobinsVeil and finally carodan.

Hope this helps.

:b_unbelievable:

nyguy ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 11:59 AM

my wife hated my head banging avatar so I went with my next favorite thing, LEGO Fett. Who would argue with a bounty hunter?

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 12:05 PM

Quote - Who would argue with a bounty hunter?

Um... the Sarlaac?

To be fair, that was a pretty one-sided argument, now that I think about it...

nyguy ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 12:17 PM

Quote - > Quote - Who would argue with a bounty hunter?

Um... the Sarlaac?

To be fair, that was a pretty one-sided argument, now that I think about it...

According the book Tales from Jabba's Palace, he actually defeated the Sarlaac

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 12:22 PM

I say never ever read the forum in front of your wife again.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 12:29 PM

file_433857.jpg

> Quote - According the book Tales from Jabba's Palace, he actually defeated the Sarlaac

La la la la la it's not in the movie la la la la la la la I can't hear you  la la la la la la la

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 1:47 PM

well, you could always go with your namesake, and put a 'cute' hobbit in there....with koi shading...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 1:52 PM

Replace it with the mythical koi-girl perhaps?

If that doesn't work, you could always use a cat-girl/boy.

Or maybe you can do a .gif movie with a picture of a properly shaded and lit figure and the following text: "If it doesn't look like this, it isn't properly shaded"

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

nyguy ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 1:58 PM

Quote -

La la la la la it's not in the movie la la la la la la la I can't hear you  la la la la la la la

Sound like my 3 year old

RGUS ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 2:03 PM

A picture of your wife.. then there'd be no complaints 

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 2:12 PM

There will if he uses the wrong picture...  I think that's how women work anyways.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 2:29 PM

Lucky she didn' t see your website-she would have been asking how someone with scales could have nipples... :biggrin:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 4:43 PM

Hmmm! How about a naked sexy hot babe?

Just don't tell her that you know me! 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Sarte ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 6:05 PM

Make it a decaying zombie. She'll love you for that.

Seriously, a "that's digusting" at a guy with fish scales? She obviously hasn't seen the horrors that await the unready on the internet.

Do the impossible, see the invisible

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 6:19 PM

That's okay my wife doesn't get mine either she does not understand how an Irish pagan has anything to do with young girls outside a train station in the Shibuya district of Tokyo  LOL!

My Facebook Page

bopperthijs ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 7:10 PM · edited Tue, 30 June 2009 at 7:11 PM

Ok, let's make some things clear:
Every marriage needs some secrets, sorry gals, but that's a fact of life.
So here's some advice to the married guys around here;

• never let your wife see your avatar.
  • never show your wife your gallery.
  • never let your wife know you have made a NVIATWAS.
  • never let your wife know you use Poser.
  • never let your wife know you have ever heard of Poser.
  • don't take a laptop on vacation with Poser installed.
  • buy at least once a week flowers for her, if she asked  why, tell her I said so, so you have an excuse. (It has nothing to do with Poser, but it's a nice gesture)

If you follow these rules, you will also have a 25th- wedding anniversary like I have next year ( if  nothing comes in between 😄 )

best regards,

Bopper.

PS. One thing we need in the next upgrade of Poser is a "wife-switch" or perhaps even a "husband-switch",  BB, I heard you have some connections, perhaps you can use your influence.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

Sarte ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:23 PM

What about the hidden third switch, "swinging single?"

Do the impossible, see the invisible

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

SaintFox ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:26 PM · edited Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:27 PM

I am amazed about that "get a new wife"!! If your better half looks just averagly handsome/pretty and you suddenly see a koi-boy or such as his avatar you will begin to wonder what he or she sees when looking into the mirror 😉 So why not get a new avatar?!

And about:
*Ok, let's make some things clear:
Every marriage needs some secrets, sorry gals, but that's a fact of life.
So here's some advice to the married guys around here;

• never let your wife see your avatar.
  • never show your wife your gallery.
  • never let your wife know you have made a NVIATWAS.
  • never let your wife know you use Poser.
  • never let your wife know you have ever heard of Poser.
  • don't take a laptop on vacation with Poser installed.
  • buy at least once a week flowers for her, if she asked  why, tell her I said so, so you have an excuse. (It has nothing to do with Poser, but it's a nice gesture)*

I see that you have some experience with "wife, basic version 1.0/1.015"
Until I upgraded to "husband professional 2.5 SP3" I had to answer the following questions:
-Who is Avatar? Go, tell me!!
-Who did the images in your gallery? Did you collect them at the internet?
-What is Poser? Is rendering playing with an artificial doll-house?
-Why did you render a nekkid woman? Tell me: Is Avatar a girl? Do you have secrets?
-Okay, but don't tell the neighbours that you have a flirt with a girl named Avatar who sends you pictures of nekkid women!
-buy him the soccer channel on pay tv, install Poser on your laptop and render in the bedroom
...or get yourself husband professional 2.0 and upgrade to 2.5 as soon as you are able to afford it.

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

j_blood ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 8:54 PM

Ok. from my point of view you have 2 choices...
1.- you can play it cool and change your avatar an take the oportunity to AMAZE this people one again or
2.- You can fire up poser, load that koi-man shader, sit your wife in front of it, and show how much effort you put on it.

(just hopin' it works)

by the way, judging from the skin template in the VSS i couldn't imagine the mess thas has to be that koi shader

Hoping to Help
Jason Blood

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 9:09 PM

I enjoyed your responses, people.

This isn't a real problem. I was just posting because I thought it would provoke some fun responses. Which it did.

Besides, she's never going to "get" Poser anyway. Heheh. And I don't get "The Bachelor", so we're even.

SaintFox ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 9:42 PM

*Besides, she's never going to "get" Poser anyway. Heheh. And I don't get "The Bachelor", so we're even.

You can never be safe and sure 😉 Some day someone may create something that meets exactly the taste of your wife so that she can't resist to try it out  - and then be prepared for many, many questions...

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 9:58 PM

Quote - Until I upgraded to "husband professional 2.5 SP3" ...

Husband Pro 2.5 has terrible joint parameters and tbh the genital UVmap is no good, you should be using Apollo.

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.