Mon, Sep 23, 7:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 3D modeling problem . Why is this happening? HELP!

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 1:34 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 7:26 AM

I am modeling a plane for poser and when I render it in Poser I see this:

There are some lines that are not there when rendered in other applications.  You can see them in the border of the wings, in the propeller and in the fuselage.

Do some of you had this problem sometime? Why is this caused? How can I fix it?

Thank you very much for your help!

ronviers ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 1:38 PM

It would help if you could show your wires. What type of geometry is it?

sixus1 ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 1:44 PM

This looks like a classic example of Poser's smoothing issues and render problems. some quick quesitons...

1. are you rendering with Firefly
  2. if so, what are your settings
  3. what are your smooth values on the parts of the plane; compare them with any normal smoothing commands used in your modelling app and you'll have the starting point for some tweaking
  4. are you rendering ray traced lighting? if so, check the biases
  5. are you rendering shadow mapped lighting? If so, increase the map size..

That's all I have off the top of my head.. flying blind here---Poser isn't open right now and I have to head out soon, but just thought I'd toss some things in as food for thought. -Les

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 1:59 PM · edited Sat, 08 August 2009 at 2:00 PM

Those are pretty surely depth mapped shadow artifacts.  Looks very much like Poser's default lighting, with 256x256 shadow maps.

As to how you fix it, don't use Poser's default ligthing, because it's garbage.  Practically ANYTHING is an improvement over the default lighting scheme.

My Freebies

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 2:02 PM

This is the wireframe view

I am using the default settings for Poser 6 because I must do it. Nothing changed in any moment, and the default lights of Poser 6.

I must use defaults and not tweak anything because this model is for sale in the marketplace, so I must know how to model it well for good Poser render or I won't be able to sell it.

manoloz ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 2:57 PM

some pointers:

• poser does not like long polygons
  • try changing the smoothing angle inside poser, it's default value looks fine in organic models, but usually does not look right in non-organics
  • I'ld optimize the polygon count if I were you

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 3:14 PM

Quote - I must use defaults and not tweak anything because this model is for sale in the marketplace, so I must know how to model it well for good Poser render or I won't be able to sell it.

That can't be right, if the model is for Poser, then you have any settings required in the file you supply whether it's a CR2 or PP2.

If your item requires any settings that can only be set by the user, then you'll need to mentin that in the ReadMe and should consider supplying a sample scene (one corresponding to one of the promo renders would be a good idea).

Obviously if you're going for compatability with older versions and/or D|S, some settings may not be available, but this mostly affects what you can do with materials unless you supply several version/application specific setups.

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 3:47 PM

What if I purchase Hexagon and re-model the problematic parts there? I am using Anim8or now, great free modeler, but seems the output is not good for this.

I see Hexagon has lots of features that may be good for me.

Have someone had problems like this with Hexagon? Can be my modeler the problem?

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 6:45 PM

What modelling program you use won't solve some problems as those require the right settings in Poser.
Granted some problems can be lessened or eliminated by using the right techniques, but all reasonable modelling programs will have some means to achieve the desired end result.

And for god's sake, make sure you don't use Poser's default lights for your promos (or anything in fact).

manoloz ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 8:32 PM

Quote - And for god's sake, make sure you don't use Poser's default lights for your promos (or anything in fact).

Agreed wholeheartedly

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 3:21 AM

Yup. In any version of Poser the default lighting will make you want to give up modeling in favor of a more rewarding career like sewer maintenance. :)

two things to take big note of:

1. Poser + triangles = ugliness. You can get away with a few tri's here and there, but something that's completely triangulate can be problematic at best. It looks like you've done some smooth modeling for the most part, too, but the program has output it that way. Definitely something to think about in your application itself...

2. Intersecting meshes like the way you have the wing going through the body can be weird in Poser; better to do things like wings as extrusions.-Les

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 6:14 AM

Thanks to you all. I will take note of all this for the future.

I have tried all that before posting here. I tried reducing by hand all the triangles to quads, and small quads to big quads, and that's not the problem.

I had a bigger problem with another application that I was using before this, and now it seems that there is something in the output that is not good for Poser. I also tested different lights and the problem persists.

Intersecting meshes are not the problem, because if I eliminate them completely and export my object, the problem persists.

I have several modelers, some of them expensive but they produce enormous meshes that are hard to optimize to reach the 45,000 limit polygon that many marketplaces have. That's why I was using a low-poly modeler like Anim8or, but it is not a modeler done with Poser in  mind.

I have purchased Hexagon that seems to not produce meshes with these problems, and has lots of modeling features that I appreciate, and will use in the future.

I will report if I see improvements when I remodel the plane.

Thanks a lot again for your time!

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 8:54 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Keep in mind that no matter what you do, the default lights in poser will make it look like dogshit.  This is not particularly a problem with your geometry, although you're getting some good advice about the long triangles etc., but in your first pic, those are depth mapped shadow artifacts.  Avoiding them has more to do with camera orientation and shadow map size settings than changing your geometry.

My Freebies

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 11:47 AM

Of all the free or low cost modelers out there the one I have consistently seen good results out of for Poser use is Wings. Just my $.02. Personally, I am a die hard Maya guy. -Les

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 11:52 AM

SOme peole said Anim8or was good, and you have a good control over vertices and edges. I also know about Wings3D,  yes many people use that too.

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 1:48 PM · edited Sun, 09 August 2009 at 1:49 PM

Yes, Anim8or, Hexagon or Wings all have some good toolsets to correct this kind of mesh.

Wings is probably the easier to grasp for people new to modeling. In this case, I'd redo the whole model, as it would be more efficient and not longer (in Wings at least) than to attempt some heroic rescue on this one.

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 3:37 AM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 3:38 AM

Meshlab is free and will do mesh cleanup, re-orient normals ect etc.

Eternal Hobbyist

Daidalos ( ) posted Thu, 10 September 2009 at 3:57 PM

Ok anyone else not seeing the images in this thread. Also was the issue resolved for you hiperia3d?

"The Blood is the life!"

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Thu, 10 September 2009 at 4:19 PM

I did see the images at the time, but now not at all indeed.

-Jordi- ( ) posted Thu, 10 September 2009 at 4:22 PM

Thanks for all, I am re- building the model and spending some time watching video tutorials on the new software (Hexagon) that I purchased. Found it's a great and easy modeler, with lots of tools.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.