Sun, Oct 6, 11:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Bokeh and depth of field in renders

whoopy2k ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:00 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:23 AM

Admittedly I'm JUST starting to play with this.  But are there any experts in the forum on this subject?  In my photography I often spend a lot of time dialing in the right f stop to get a nice background (and sometimes foreground) blur.  I was really excited to notice that option in Poser.  But wow, is it ugly right out of the box!  Does anyone know of a way to get an actual lens blur?  To me the default setting just look like a stipple painting... destroying not helping the feeling of photo realism.  If not, does anyone know how to render a depth map?  If I had that, I could use it as a layer mask and make use of Photoshop's very nice lens blur filter.  That isn't as elegant as a poser only solution but I could probably make due.

whoopy2k ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:09 PM

Interesting... more post filtering helps a lot.  But still not quite what I've used to with a fast lens stopped at the right setting.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:21 PM

The blur is simulated, not real. I don't know how well it tracks what you'd get from a camera. The only thing for sure is the DOF is smaller when you decrease the f/ stop.

As for the quality of the blur, it needs a lot of pixel samples to look decent. And then post filtering can improve it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:53 PM

Pixel sampling for DoF is usually higher than 15 which will increase render time considerably.

whoopy2k ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:54 PM

LOL, no joke bagginsbill!  I've got my Canon 50D and a fast 2.8 prime lens sitting next to me... this is not close to what I can get with that equipment.  But the more I play the more potential I see.   A little depth makes a huge difference in the believability of renders. 

Good call on the pixel samples, that helps a lot but the more of this I add, the more I start to recall my older, slower computing days. 

What would REALLY help is if there was a way to lock that DOF "target" on the screen.  With photography I usually lock focus with the center AF point and then recompose to get the framing I want.  I find that very hard with Poser since the focus point vanishes as soon as I let go of the slider.  

whoopy2k ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:55 PM

Yeah, hborre, I'm noticing that big time.  It is actually taxing my i7 3+ Ghz system.  That's a new feeling.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:56 PM

file_441493.jpg

I tried for years to get decent DOF in Poser (I used to be a photographer, and have a Bachelor's degree in the subject), and hated the results, which took hours and hours to produce, with inevitably no control over the finished result, other than tweaking and re-rendering, over and over....yawn. 

Once I had cast off the shackles of believing that any post work rendered over your render, er, rendered it invalid and was a Bad Thing, I realised that Photoshop + Poser = The Answer!  Convincing DOF, which you can adjust to your heart's content is within your grasp....the only problem being that, unless you're happy doing it each time manually,  you need a z-depth render, which Poser can't do without assistance....check out "Semidue's/Shaderworks" plugins for the solution to that particular Poser deficiency.

The image above is an example of DOF (and some other FX) added in post, via a z-depth render; the DOF was fully controallable and took seconds to add.

And here's how I did it:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1963531

If you're open to the idea of post work in a 2D app, then DOF in Poser is within your reach, effective, and contollable...if you're not, then soldier on!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

whoopy2k ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 4:24 PM

Cool, I used depth maps in PS all the time in my "pro" work to get that, so I'm open to it!  I just didn't know of a way to get that info.  I'll check out the plug in.  Thanks Paul.

whoopy2k ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 4:26 PM

Oh yeah, is the shaderworks plugin on Renderosity?

ima70 ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 4:28 PM

I posted this several times :-) I use this method because is way faster in Poser (Hey, Daz Studio is Wayyyyyy Faster doing DoF),

www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/dof_tutorial.html

Paul Francis ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quote - Oh yeah, is the shaderworks plugin on Renderosity?

Not sure; I got it myself from Runtime DNA.  I'd post the link, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here.  PM me if you need it.

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 6:22 PM · edited Mon, 19 October 2009 at 6:25 PM

Quote -
What would REALLY help is if there was a way to lock that DOF "target" on the screen.  With photography I usually lock focus with the center AF point and then recompose to get the framing I want.  I find that very hard with Poser since the focus point vanishes as soon as I let go of the slider.  

I'm not sure I understand you here. With "DOF Target" are you talking about the crosshair thingie? That stays smack in the middle of things until you disable it... So I'm not sure which "focus point" that can vanish.

Other than that, using the depth cue as a mask is a good idea - sometimes it gives better results than other times, it depends a lot of the scene.

Whenever I've done something that required DOF in larger degrees, I've made two renders, one with the full scene and one with only the thing that should be sharp and combined them in Photoshop. Poser gives you an alphachannel for free when you render over "nothing"

HERE is an example where I used that method and blurred it manually afterwards (general blur filter on the background layer, graduated hand-made blur on the creature)
At the time I made this, I didn't know the Depth Cue trick, which is why there are places that should have been blurred, and isn't - and vice versa :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 6:32 PM

I just came across this little similar item @ RDNA.  Link:
http://www.runtimedna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47974

Apparently the software mentioned is a Photoshop plugin to control DoF in 3D images and photos.  And it seems that it is freeware.  Probably worth investigating.  The Software is DoFPro.

http://www.dofpro.com/overview.htm

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 1:35 AM

Vue has good DOF settings that are realistic, but like Paul Francis I do it in post in Photoshop CS3 using a z-depth image, it's much, much quicker than rendering it in Vue or Poser.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 3:13 AM

DOFPro isn't freeware, but it's really inexpensive and well worth it IMHO. Just make sure to disable antialiasing when rendering for best results (this is mentioned in the user manual).

Yarivt ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 4:43 AM

How do you render an animation with non-poser DOF effect?
Do you need to render 2 sets of images, one normal and one z-depth and then using script or whatever apply the z-depth to each image using photoshop?

Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Yariv

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 6:05 AM

file_441512.jpg

Another way is to cheat using Alien skins Bokeh filter on a straight render, like this Vue render. 

Apols if anyone has seen this image before - nothing else on this machine.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 6:52 AM

The problem, mrsparky, your picture had a large angle of vision and dont need dof ... Add an helicopter or an ovni and yes this picture could have dof ...

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 8:05 AM

Quote - > Quote - Oh yeah, is the shaderworks plugin on Renderosity?

Not sure; I got it myself from Runtime DNA.  I'd post the link, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here.  PM me if you need it.

posting a link is allowed.

your not advertising a product, your responding to a question.

please post it. I would like to see it.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 8:42 AM

the only thing i knew of that would make the depth mask was Glowworm.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/glowworm?item=3946&_m=d

I contacted Poseworks to see if it would be updated for P8 and he said no, but it is available under Mozilla Public License for anyone who wishes to update it.

code.google.com/p/pw-glowworm-source/

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

jdcooke ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 10:43 AM

file_441519.jpg

Depth maps in Poser?  piece o' cake

:)

Anthanasius ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 11:14 AM

The second ...

After you select what grey is blured or not in your 2d software

jdcooke ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 12:59 PM

file_441525.jpg

Hello,

This method of creating a depthmap is destructive, so be sure to SAVE your scene before using.

Before you render you'll need to change all materials to one type.  PhilC has written a little Python script that does  this,  you can find it in this thread  www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

take care

jdcooke ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 1:00 PM · edited Tue, 20 October 2009 at 1:04 PM

file_441526.jpg

Part II

This method  works with Poser 5 and up except in Poser 5,  the script may have to be altered to suit the Python version.

take care

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 2:04 PM

You don't need to change any materials unless they glow.

Just turn off all lights. The scene should render completely black. Then turn on depth cueing in Atmosphere, and set the Depth Cue color to white.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jdcooke ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 3:09 PM

ahhh,  cool,  thanks that makes it easier   :)

zarquen ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 2:41 PM

Ok, after you get that greyscale image, you go to photoshop and....
I guess you must use as a mask layer, but can anyone post how to do it?

Thanks

ima70 ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 4:22 PM

Quote - Ok, after you get that greyscale image, you go to photoshop and....
I guess you must use as a mask layer, but can anyone post how to do it?

Thanks

I repeat, follow this www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/dof_tutorial.html

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 4:37 PM

file_441752.jpg

It's more easy with the lens blur filter ...

Load your render and go to the channel and add a new channel

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 4:39 PM

file_441753.jpg

In the new channel paste a copy of your "zdepth" render

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 4:40 PM

Now in the channel tab select the RGB without the Alpha channel and go to
Filter-Blur-Lens Blur

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 4:41 PM · edited Sat, 24 October 2009 at 4:42 PM

In the Depth Map Source select the channel previously created, now with the Blur Focal Distance slider your can choice the blur distance !

zarquen ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 6:00 PM

Fantastic!!
Thanks for the info. I didin't realize that in the filter I could load the z-depth.

vholf ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 9:25 PM

Quote - You don't need to change any materials unless they glow.

Just turn off all lights. The scene should render completely black. Then turn on depth cueing in Atmosphere, and set the Depth Cue color to white.

I'm sorry, where do I set the Depth Cue color? And then can I just render and use this in Photoshop as explained?

MyCat ( ) posted Sat, 24 October 2009 at 11:11 PM

I'll add that Vue cameras have an extra box that is at the focal point. You can click it and drag it to any target and the camera is focused at that point. Poser needs this.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 25 October 2009 at 3:41 AM

Quote - > Quote - You don't need to change any materials unless they glow.

I'm sorry, where do I set the Depth Cue color? And then can I just render and use this in Photoshop as explained?

You find it in the material room, select Object-Atmosphere, and then yes you just have to render and apply as explained ;-)

zarquen ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 4:33 PM

Hello again. I'm playing with Z-Render and photoshop and I have a question for you all.
The figure is not in the first plane, but in the middle of the scene. If I want to 'focus' and blur not only the elements in distance, but the elements in first plane (all except my figure), how can I achieve it? I'm painting in white the main figure, but this solution is not 'elegant' and I bet there'd be a better choice.
Merci in advance ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.