Fri, Oct 4, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Refraction node question...

momodot ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:24 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 2:26 PM

When I use the refraction node in Poser 8 on a material the diffuse and transparency channels no longer seem to work. I take my water mesh and in the Materials room I use the default reflection and refraction set-up wacros but then I can't return some opacity to the mesh. Can someone explain what is going on and how to reduce the transparency and add a diffuse color? I am trying to create some what murky pond/lake water. Thank you.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:30 PM

The Poser Surface node adds together many effects - each of its channels contribute to the final rendered pixel.

In order to do this right, you have to start applying some math. Not a lot of math so don't get scared.

Basically, a material like murky water has a mix of diffuse response and refraction. Clear water has zero diffuse and nearly 100% refraction. Murky water has non-zero diffuse and less than 100% refraction.

So - there are a couple ways to do this.

I'll show you.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:35 PM

file_444388.jpg

This is wrong. The diffuse value and the refraction value are adding up to more than 1.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:36 PM

file_444390.jpg

This is better. The diffuse value + the refraction value do not exceed 1.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:39 PM

file_444391.jpg

This is even better. It's a little extra work up front, but after that it's much simpler.

Turn off the built-in diffuse.

Combine the Refract with a Diffuse node using a Blender. The Blending value will determine the correct proportions between the two nodes automatically. Arranged as I've done, the lower that number, the less clear the water is.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:43 PM

file_444392.jpg

You can and should combine the reflection with the combination of refraction and diffuse the same way.

Here I've chosen 11% reflection.

The idea here is a photon can reflect or not, based on a probability. If it does, then there is less light to go through and light up the diffuse stuff. 

Of course, a constant reflection amount is wrong, too. What should go into this new Blender is the result of either the exact Fresnel equation (22 nodes) or my 4-node approximation, published elsewhere in the lake thread.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:49 PM · edited Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:49 PM

file_444393.jpg

The other cool thing about the Blender solution is that the ratio of diffuse to refraction does not have to be a constant. It can be controlled by more nodes.

Here I used a clouds node to make the ratio variable.

Use gray scale colors to represent the numbers. Black = 0, White = 1. RGB 128 corresponds to (approximately) 1/5 or .5. (It's technically 128/255, which is .502).

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:52 PM

file_444394.jpg

Here I rotated my square so it's flat and made it bigger. I had to adjust the scale on the Clouds and the FractalSum to compensate. I also increased the values in the Clouds node so there would be more refraction, but it is otherwise the same.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:54 PM

file_444395.jpg

Making the colors in the Clouds node darker, I get less refraction. Looks pretty real to me.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 2:56 PM

file_444396.jpg

Now I added *another* Clouds node, this time to make the diffuse color variable. Looks like clumps of underwater vegetation.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:04 PM

file_444397.jpg

Get rid of the hard-coded 11% reflection, and replace it with my Fresnel approximation.

This look pretty good, IMO.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:13 PM

file_444398.jpg

Add gamma correction and it really pops.

You have to anti-gamma the diffuse colors coming in, the reflection node, and the refraction node, because those are all incoming material.

Then you gamma correct the final product.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:14 PM

file_444399.jpg

Here's the full render.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:16 PM

file_444400.jpg

Looking down on it.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:25 PM

file_444401.png

I just looked up better values for the Fresnel approximation for water. Use this.

The numbers are .0184, 80, and .078.

momodot ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:25 PM

Wow... that is a great help.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:26 PM

file_444402.jpg

Made it slightly more refractive (less murky) and used the corrected constants for Fresnel.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:30 PM

file_444403.jpg

Hah! I'm an idiot. In all that, I forgot to set the IOR on the Refraction. Use 1.33 for water. Doh!

See how the grass from the environment sphere is showing like underwater plants? I love it!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 3:48 PM

file_444404.jpg

Here's the same water plane, but combined with RDNA's Terradome. Pretty cool.

dlfurman ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 6:50 PM

Revs up...cracks the whip (again!)
Finish the book!
(Don't forget to add the above to the Special Natural Effects chapter :) )

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 9:57 PM

This is wonderful stuff! Thanks so much for demonstrating this for us. And now my request. Hehe, knew it was coming I bet. I would love to have the pz3 file that is just your Environmental sphere and the water plane. I'd like to study it, lights, cams, and all.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 10:21 PM

The scene with Terradome looks fantastic.  Thank you for the tutorial.  Just love this stuff!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2009 at 10:41 PM

Quote - This is wonderful stuff! Thanks so much for demonstrating this for us. And now my request. Hehe, knew it was coming I bet. I would love to have the pz3 file that is just your Environmental sphere and the water plane. I'd like to study it, lights, cams, and all.

Glad you all liked this. I was going to save this for my book, but people need water bad. Consider it a free taste - like crack. You will become addicted and buy my book. Besides, I have many more water tricks I haven't told you.

I didn't save the scene, of course. I just toss these together like making popcorn. I don't save them. But I'll make it again and post it.

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 2:17 AM

Thanks so much BB if you would do that! In the early days of Renderosity (when it was called Poser Forum), we all had Poser 3 and 4, meaning we all pretty much had the same toys, and people would put up their pz3 files in the freestuff area and I learned so much from picking apart and studying someone's pz3 file. I still learn best this way. But I will say that I'm getting better at following a screen shot. Took me about ten minutes to build the gamma corrected water shader you demonstrated. Still, I'd very much like to study your lights, camera angle, render settings, ect in the demo you pictured.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

carodan ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 3:09 PM

Pure excellence! I've never seen Poser water done so well.

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 4:55 PM

file_444473.jpg

Here's one I just finished - playing with DarkEdge's new freebie bridge. This is the same water shader as above, but with slightly different colors and Cloud settings.

Rendered in P8 with IDL - one infinite light and the environment sphere does the rest. I need to find me some good HDR equirectangulars. You can see the result of LDR clipping in the reflection. When a reflection is 20% of whatever being reflected, and that thing is clipped at 1, then the reflection cannot be brighter than .2, ever. The hotspot you see is a specular node reacting to the infinite light, not reflection.

Render time, 42 minutes. Would have been faster, but I had to really crank samples to 6 and shading rate to .2 in order to get those fine razor-thin rim speculars on the bridge rail to look right. I probably should have set shading rates higher on the water and sky and they would have rendered fast.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 6:15 PM

Beautiful render. 

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 6:17 PM · edited Wed, 09 December 2009 at 6:17 PM

Quote - The hotspot you see is a specular node reacting to the infinite light, not reflection.

Cause the sun is invisible ... I think you need to remove the specular node . ( I never use specular when i use reflection )

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 6:19 PM

Top notch, BB. Many thanks. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

jartz ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2009 at 7:09 PM

Wow, BB, you're a man of many talents.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 11 December 2009 at 3:11 PM

Quote - Here's one I just finished - playing with DarkEdge's new freebie bridge...

Looking very nice BB.
Hey, where's the bimbo and sword? A Katana sword that is.

Comitted to excellence through art.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 11 December 2009 at 3:54 PM

She fell into the water and sank like a rock because she didn't want to release the sword.

OrphanedSoul ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 5:32 PM

Totally Incredible BB!

Kerya ( ) posted Mon, 18 January 2010 at 1:47 AM

Wooooow! Thank you very, very, very much!

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 1:53 PM

Bookmarked

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

vilters ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 2:06 PM

@BB? Whaw, what a great one.

You must drink, eat, and sleep in that Poser Material room. :-)

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

MyCat ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 10:28 PM

Smith Micro should put you on retainer. I read through this thread saying with each post "That's a Poser render?"

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 11:26 PM

Quote - > Quote - This is wonderful stuff! Thanks so much for demonstrating this for us. And now my request. Hehe, knew it was coming I bet. I would love to have the pz3 file that is just your Environmental sphere and the water plane. I'd like to study it, lights, cams, and all.

Glad you all liked this. I was going to save this for my book, but people need water bad. Consider it a free taste - like crack. You will become addicted and buy my book. Besides, I have many more water tricks I haven't told you.

I didn't save the scene, of course. I just toss these together like making popcorn. I don't save them. But I'll make it again and post it.

Thank you BB for sharing this. I was searching for a really good Water Mat. since long.

Is there any news about your Book? You Publish it, or it is still in work?

I really want this book badly :D

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 2:19 AM
Forum Moderator

Great trick as always, but does it work in Poser 7? I tried with the nodes you have set up and it didn't seem to work :o(

I guess I'll have to save my pennies for Poser 8.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 2:27 AM

Quote - Great trick as always, but does it work in Poser 7? I tried with the nodes you have set up and it didn't seem to work :o(

I guess I'll have to save my pennies for Poser 8.

It works in Poser 7 too. you have to fine tune some values. :)

― Marcus Aurelius,

AnAardvark ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 3:13 PM

With Poser Pro 2010, do you still have to set the gamma within the shaders if you are using render gamma?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 3:38 PM

Shader Gamma should be set to 1 if you intend to use it in your render settings. 

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 4:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - It works in Poser 7 too. you have to fine tune some values. :)

Would ya be so kind as to post an image of working Poser 7 nodes for this trick? I'm always looking for ways to do water, and one without a texture image is just too useful!

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 5:09 PM

file_463835.jpg

I want here a little floating river.

The render is simple, Inside TerraDome, TerraDome light , quick camera setting.

― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 5:12 PM

file_463838.jpg

Here the render, ( hope it works now :(  )

― Marcus Aurelius,

barrowlass ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2011 at 1:28 PM · edited Wed, 20 July 2011 at 1:30 PM

@BB: awesome (as my grandson would say!)  I've been wanting a water material setting - I used to have one ages ago and couldn't remember it (been away from Poser too long)

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

keyze ( ) posted Tue, 21 February 2012 at 12:49 AM

If any one is still watching this link, I could not get Matmatic to download.  Is there another link or has it been replaced by something else to get a semi realistic water?  I do hope someone is still following this thread and can help!!!!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 21 February 2012 at 3:31 AM

You can't download from my Google site? Here?

http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/matmatic

But ... this thread doesn't have any matmatic scripts in it - I built the water shader by hand step by step on page 1.

shellysummers ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2012 at 1:12 AM

Wow bb when is that. Booking ouT?  This is some amazing stuff. 

outa ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 1:01 PM

When is the book coming out? Bagginsbill. A year and some months later I ask the same question. 

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 3:38 PM

B00kMark

That water is amazing. Of coruse, these says, I do my rendering with Reality3/Lux, but there are times where Poser can do it just as well.

One question: Why a bump- and not a displacement map for the ripples?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.