Fri, Sep 20, 3:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: New DAZ characters and Poser5

phoenixamon ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 10:26 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:40 PM

Can anyone here (particularly anyone from DAZ or CL) give me assurance that the new DAZ figures (Vicky, Mike, the upcoming DAZ kids...) will not be the Poser 5 standard figures? I recently bought Vicky and Mike, but not the clothes packs yet, and I absolutely covet the kids. :) Thing is, I'm poor and I'm afraid these figures are going to be included as standard in the next Poser release, and I can not afford to spend that money twice. Nothing software companies do burns me like when they sell me an extra and then a few months later include it as a standard feature in an upgrade to the main package. Those are the software companies I never buy from again, cause I feel they stole from me. So... if I know they are going to be included, I'll wait even if P5 is a long way off. If I do otherwise, I'll end up felling ripped off down the road. Thanks much, Phoenix

nitreug ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 11:49 PM

I hope they will not include them also because people are spending a lot of money of them already...but who knows

atthisstage ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:14 AM

I kinda doubt it. Mike and Vic are DAZ products, not Curious Lab's.

phoenixamon ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:22 AM

atthisstage, I know they are DAZ products, but the current Poser standard figures were made by Zygote, and that division of Zygote is now DAZ. In the DAZ store, you'll find the current standard P4 kids and infant for individual sale. So I think it is relatively likely that CL will have DAZ create the standard models included with P5. And I think DAZ does great work, but I do not want to pay them for it twice. I hope this is a really dumb concern. :) Phoenix

atthisstage ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:35 AM

I can't see DAZ releasing unfettered their flagship products. Not a chance. What may happen, depending on where we are in the list of versions, is that Mike 1 and Vicky 1 would be on there, but by then we'll be up to Vick3 and Mike 2.5, so you'd still have to buy the update. But I really doubt they'd even do that. Instead, we'll see a next generation of Posette and the Dork.

perrick ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 1:48 AM

I would not make any commercial sense if DAZ let Curious Labs include their most revenue generating products in Poser 5. They know that most Poser users will buy Mike and/or Vicky anyway and they earn more from high priced, individual sales than from a one-time volume deal with Curious Labs. Consider the fact that the price we pay for Mike + Vicky today is close to the price of Poser 4. How much would Curious Labs be prepared to pay to include the models if they want to keep the price of Poser 5 in the same range as Poser 4? Not enough, I suppose. I have no inside knowledge about this, but it would surprise me if it happened.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 4:04 AM

You know you should probably call DAZ and ask them straight out, they are pretty good at keeping their word and get a name so that if it happens they can correct it. We are the same way, we won't put anything on sale that someone already bought, but if we decided to have a sale on something and it does include things that someone bought, we will make sure they have something of comparitable so they don't feel like they have just been - you know raked over the coals. Nobody likes to be taken, rich or poor, although the rich bounce back a little easier, none of us are rich, (even if we do get that rebate check from Uncle Sam)and we take great caution at purchasing things and trusting companies that just want money. But like I said, I would call them and ask. Sharen:)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 4:22 AM

I seriously doubt if Mike and Vicky will be included in Poser 5. However, the Dragonriders have more morph targets, especially in their faces, and the Costume Shop CD has a male and female figure with more morph targets. These latter are an improvement upon The Dork and Posette as is, and could easily be made into the default figures, complete with ethnic variations. If I were in charge of that, I'd want a few more morphs and the kids done with extra morphs, too, to match. This would be a fair compromise: something better to encourage upgrades, but also something readily accessible for newbies... who'd then have access to all the clothes and props out here for the standard bodies. The other problem with Mike and Vicky (besides the financial neccesity for DAZ to keep them), is that they take a lot of processing power and memory. The basic program should be usable by as wide a range of customers as possible... and not everyone has 200 megs of Ram to allot to the one program. I may be wrong, but I'll be incredibly surprised to see Mike and Vicky in the new package. Carolly

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 4:56 AM

I agree with Carolly, plus they bring alot of revenue for DAZ if they are sold separately. Sharen

Bug ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 5:05 AM

I seem to remember that Zygote/Daz DID release a statement last year that Mike and Vickey would not be in upcoming releases of Poser. They were somewhat concerned about people asking this same question when they were released, and worried that people were waiting with ordering the figures until a new release of Poser.

the3dwizard ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 7:09 AM

I agree with Bug. Remember reading somewhere that they would not be included in the next release.

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 7:18 AM

Daz said that Vikki and Mike will NOT be in poser 5 in an old thread here (i think it was here) so i think we are safe :o)........Steve

phoenixamon ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 7:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm very glad to hear they've addressed the issue of Vicky and Mike. I will still want to check with them about the "kids" that will be released soon. A lot of graphics software companies do business that way on a regular basis... sell something to all the excited early-birds, and then when they've sold it to most folks who care enough to buy it separately turn around and sell it to them again as part of an upgrade. I've seen a lot of expensive graphics filters end up as part of the main product later on. I almost never buy ad-ons anymore because of it. Thanks again. Phoenix

stallion ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 2:48 PM

Yes I believe it was Steve Cooper "COOP" in an interview he did a couple months ago where he stated they would not include Mike or Vickie in any new version of Poser.

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

nitreug ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 9:05 PM

What about gremlin and big foot, they are in PPPP but people have bought them. So why it will be so different for Michael and Vicky. Look the price of those figures comparing to the openning of Vicky and Mike and they are about the same $40.

stallion ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 10:03 PM

True, True, however Bigfoot was a freebee at one time and I don't think the gremlin sold as many as Vic or Mike. Also there are no other characters created from the big foot or gremlin whereas with Vic2 you can almost create a gremlin type character and in a thread from GeorgeD soon with Mike so that's almost comparing apples and oranges. Mike and Vic are much more versitle then either Bigfoot or the gremlin just my observation... ;-)

phoenixamon ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 11:15 PM

The question ought not be versatility. Versitile or not, if DAZ is making money by selling people an individual product and afterwards selling a license to CL to distribute the same item knowing a lot of the same people will buy it as part of the new CL package... that's just not quite kosher is it? Daz essentially makes money for selling the same person the same product and license twice. In such instances, DAZ should offer a store credit to those people who purchased the figure as a separate item and who can supply proof of owning a second license to it through buying the CL product. DAZ asks a lot of integrity from those who purchase their products, and that integrity should go oth ways. Somehow I think they'd agree. Phoenix

annemarie ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 9:47 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com

Hello Everyone, Thanks for the interest concerning our Millennium models and Curious Labs Poser 5. To clear this up for everyone, DAZ will NOT be including the Millennium figures i.e. Michael 1 or 2, Victoria 1 or 2, or Millennium children in the selling of Poser 5. Not sure what models Curious Labs has planned for Poser 5? That is a good question for them. Hope this clears up any worry. Also please do not hesitate to contact us at DAZ with such questions. Thanks, AnneMarie White DAZ Productions www.daz3d.com

3-DArena ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 10:18 AM

hey AnneMarie, any idea when those kids will be out??

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

stallion ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for clearing this up AnneMarie you guys and gals are great

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.