Tue, Oct 22, 1:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Render woes....

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 12:52 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:05 AM

Hey all, I have been trying to render a scene I made, to disc, with no luck. The scene is set to render to my default of 1600X1200, at the 'final' setting. During render, Vue stops responding at various points. I have to end task it. It is not constant. It has stopped at 40%, 62%, 88% and 100%. This morning, I had to settle for rendering to screen at 1200X900. That also died at 100%. So I tried once more, at 1024X768, to screen and set to final. That seemed to work. Any ideas what can be up? I have never had render issues before, and this 1600X1200 is my normal render size. Thanks... Eryk

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 1:06 PM

Is Vue just 'not responding' in the task list of windows or does it really crash and burn (meaning - disappears suddenly) ? I noticed many times windows considering Vue was not responding during a render while it was in fact still working, just very busy. How much memory do you have ? Does the scene have a lot of lights, blurs, reflections, transparencies ?

dolly ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 1:09 PM

HEY THERE I HAD THIS PROB ON 3 WHEN IT SAIS NOT RESPONDING HIT ESCAPE THEN HIT RESUME RENDER THAT NORMALLY TAKES CARE OF THE PROBLEM CHEERS DOLLY

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 1:14 PM

it did not actually crash and burn..just sat there with no disk activity. It sat at one percentage number for over 20 minutes, without advancing. The image had 1 sun and 3 point lights. 2 cloud layers, some minimal fog, water, 2 terrains and 1 tree, a few grass clumps and a couple flowers, 4 planets and stars. As far as I know, no transparencies and only reflections for the water. I have 384 megs of ram on a p3 500 mhz machine. I have 2 gigs available as swap space for windows. Does this help? Thank you for your responce Agiel. Maybe I will try a render again tonight and leave it over night. The time it got to 100% then stopped, only took an hour and 43 minutes.

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 1:14 PM

really Dolly? Very cool. I'll give that a try as well! Thanks a bunch, both of you.

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 2:14 PM

Someone here was having a problem recently with the render to disk reaching 100%, then "going away". I think that was Bloodsong...can't remember how he got it working, but the render to disk uses drive space on the same drive that Vue is installed on, so that drive needs to have the space open for using.

tradivoro ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 2:55 PM

I've had the same problem, but have not installed the upgrade... I'm hoping the upgrade will cure it.. But it was rendering fine, and then it started that whole thing of 100% done and just sit there... So where is this resume rendering button??

Daffy34 ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 2:59 PM

Didn't someone say just recently that you can render to screen on Vue 4 larger than what your screen res actually is and it will render everything? I thought I remember someone saying that. Rendering to screen is faster than rendering to disk anyway as a general rule. Hmmm.... Laurie

tradivoro ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 4:04 PM

Well Laurie, as a workaround, that's what I did, but I didn't know you could make it bigger than your screen... I have a 19 inch monitor and if I could render to screen using a large size, I would do that... I've also notice that rendering to screen definitely gets rid of the grainy look that appears on final when rendering to file... So, the question is, can one render to a size larger than the screen on the screen?? And then how do you take it off the screen?? Ah, the beauty of art on the computer... :)

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 4:36 PM

Yes, with Vue 4, you can have a resolution of 800x600 yet still render to screen at a size of 1024x768 or higher. The downside of rendering to screen is that if there is a problem and things get interrupted, it can't be just resumed. Of course, if the render to disk isn't making it to the disk, the downside of rendering to screen might not be a downside anymore! =:o And Eryk, do you have the patch installed to 4.01? If not, grab that up. There's nothing in it to address this situation specifically, but maybe it will help anyway. Can't hurt. :)

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 7:05 PM

Well, at least I'm not the only one having problems. And I HAVE the patch. Before I installed the patch I was able to render to disk without problems. But with the patch I can't. I needed the patch because without it Michael wouldn't render right. But the patch fixed all that, and I was very happy. I could bring in a poser file without any trouble. And then I tried to render to disk today. No matter what size I pick, it changes it to 2.38 by I forget at 150dpi. I was trying for 5 x 3.75 at 150dpi. I tried the user setting and some of the presets to no avail. And if that's not enough, the process will count up to 100% and then just sit there. I've wait for a while - a couple minutes. Maybe not long enough. But Vue seems to quit responding. I can move the mouse but I can't select anything. I've tried hitting escape. But nothing works and when I finally hit ctrl - alt - delete, it says that Vue has stopped responding. Curiously enough though, the render has been saved, but like I said, it's never the right size. Bumper.

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 7:50 PM

heyas; no glow? mine got to 100% and wouldnt put the glow on. then i had another scene that would choke vue only at above a certain size. did you try to render it to a small size and see if it went through? if it renders small, but not large, then you may have that problem. i sent my file to e-on, and they're dissecting it now. (hein also did some tests on it. look for 'the scene that will not render' thread.) now if you render to disk, vue uses it's home drive to save the temp file. i have mine on k, so during a render, i can watch my k freespace shrink to zero. e-on hasn't answered my inquiry on what happens if the temp render runs out of disk space. does it crash? lock up? quit? does it start in on another disk? i dunno. vue may appear to be 'not responding' when it is in deep thought. however, if it is 'not responding' for 15-20 minutes, i think it's fair to say it choked. you may have to end up writing to e-on about this one. oh, btw, i'm pretty sure you can resume render on a render bigger than your screen size. i think i've done that.... in fact, i know i have. lastly... if it chokes at 100% done, and you reboot and start up vue again, does it ask you about recovering a crashed render? you should be able to save it to a real tif (or bmp or whatever you had it set to) file, and open it in your 2d apps. it might not be anti-aliased.

tradivoro ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2001 at 11:18 PM

It chokes at 100%, will only get out of whatever when I quit the application (vue) and then when I go back it asks if I want to save the color map (not the image)... I know what these color maps look like, a bunch of colored lines against a black background...

Calseeor ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2001 at 4:27 AM

I also have been asked if, after the 'crash' I want to have my color maps recovered from a failed render. I say yes but I am not sure what it does. A funny thing to note, that I forgot yesterday...after the 'crash' , when I re-open my scene, the atmosphere has changed itself. It has turned the decay amount and rate (under atmosphere settings/light/auto decay sunlight) to higher values then I had it set to. I turn the values back down, save the scene then run a render. Sure enough, after the crash, those settings are back up, next time I load the scene. Weird, huh? I never got a chance to try a new render last night, but I will do so tonight. If everything you all have mentioned to me, still fails, I will head your advice Bloodsong, and I will write to e-on. Thanks... Eryk

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2001 at 8:32 AM

heyas; well... i cant recall exactly, but vue starts up and says (get out your bloodsong-computerese dictionary varian) 'hey, i see you have some crashed render kinda sticking out over here, you wantto save it as a real picture?' i say, 'yes!' and it asks me what i want to call it, and i just put in the name/filetype i had for it in the firstplace. it also asks me about the z-buffer, if i had told it to save that before, too. so i do that, close vue, then go to 'shop and open the tif's. the glow ones, in particular, were all done (except the glow.) trav, are you sure its asking you if you want to save the colour map, or the colour channel? the colour channel is your image. there's also the alpha channel and z-buffer channel. you should try saving it and opening it and see what it is.

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2001 at 10:43 AM

Actually, I think that's pretty clear. Thanks, Bloodsong! :)

Kurka ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2001 at 1:15 PM

Has anyone had any luck with this render 100% problem? I stated getting it after I installed the V4.1 patch. I wound up installing a fresh Vue4. I sent the info to E-on, but I've had no reply.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.