Tue, Oct 1, 5:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: The LuxPose Project - Alpha Stage

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:20 PM
LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:31 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:34 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Here's my thoughts:

The wiki stats are all well and good, BUT...LuxPose is FAR from done. The wiki (up to today) has been an information for testing page basically because LuxPose isn't done. It was a quick place to send folks who were thinking about testing to let them know a little about what they would be testing and what they were up against. I think that adding stuff like material hacks and samples and images and light settings and whatever (that won't even be necessary once LuxPose goes live might I add) would shift focus away from people who want to test, but now have to root thru confusing stuff they aren't ready for yet nor need to know in the beginning.

Just my two cents. And since I can't really keep anyone from doing whatever they want to it, all I can do is try and make ppl understand why we're jumping the gun by adding more shit to it - shit that won't make any difference at all when the program is complete. It will confuse and may even scare some away from testing. I feel that all that extra stuff will have it's place when LuxPose is ready for prime time, but not currently.

Laurie

ayanematrix ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:32 PM

Quote - headache

Go ahead and everyone do what you want with the wiki....

I can't (and won't) clean up after more than one or two persons. I resign...lol.

Laurie

Well, I haven't posted anything yet since I was trying to cleanup my material code; but, I was trying to make sure things didn't get out of hand before making a post there. If you prefer, I can send a site mail instead and you can add it at your leisure.

ayanematrix ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:34 PM

Quote - Here's my thoughts:

The wiki stats are all well and good, BUT...LuxPose is FAR from done. The wiki (up to today) has been an information for testing page basically because LuxPose isn't done. It was a quick place to send folks who were thinking about testing to let them know a little about what they would be testing and what they were up against. I think that adding stuff like material hacks and samples and images and light settings and whatever (that won't even be necessary once LuxPose goes live might I add) would shift focus away from people who want to test, but now have to root thru confusing stuff they aren't ready for yet nor need to know in the beginning.

Just my two cents. And since I can't really keep anyone from doing whatever they want to it, all I can do is try and make ppl understand why we're jumping the gun by adding more shit to it - shit that won't make any difference at all when the program is complete. It will confuse and may even scare some away from testing.

Laurie

Oh... I get what you mean. Well, maybe when things are a little more settled then?

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:36 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:37 PM

Someone's gonna create some new wiki pages - separate pages -   just for the kind of stuff that you folks wanna add...hang on just a little while ;o). Then it's just a matter of linking to them from the LuxPose info wiki page if ppl chose to visit them.

Laurie

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:38 PM

Quote - Here's my thoughts:

Just my two cents. And since I can't really keep anyone from doing whatever they want to it, all I can do is try and make ppl understand why we're jumping the gun by adding more shit to it - shit that won't make any difference at all when the program is complete. It will confuse and may even scare some away from testing.

Laurie

You are right - mostly.

Having a wiki with "Material-Hacks" is not wrong. Even if LuxPose is ready. But probably independent from the existing one. The actual wiki can have a link to the Lux material wiki then.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:47 PM

The actual wishlist has some things we have already done:

• a way to choose a unique filename
  • the ability to save Lux scene file to folder of one's choosing
  • ability to change lighting/sun angle
  • Catmull-Clark type subdivision for lower poly objects, ideally on a per-object basis

FAQ:
Hair is working, as far as I know.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:49 PM

Quote - > Quote - Here's my thoughts:

Laurie

You are right - mostly.

Having a wiki with "Material-Hacks" is not wrong. Even if LuxPose is ready. But probably independent from the existing one. The actual wiki can have a link to the Lux material wiki then.

That's exactly what we're gonna do adp :o).

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:51 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:51 PM

Quote - The actual wishlist has some things we have already done:

• Catmull-Clark type subdivision for lower poly objects, ideally on a per-object basis

FAQ:

as for the wishlist items, I prefer not to erase any of them, in case they get missed or something in the final code and so that ppl don't keep asking for the same things over and over. What I can do is maybe put a (being implemented) after that wishlist entry so that everyone knows and the programmers remember that it's been included :o). That sound ok?

Laurie

ayanematrix ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:57 PM

Hey ADP, I got the following error while trying to export a scene from Poser 6:

Using sampler metropolis<br></br>
Using integrator bidirectional<br></br>
Using accelerator qbvh<br></br>
Traceback (most recent call last):<br></br>
  File "<string>", line 222, in ?<br></br>
  File "C:Program FilesCurious LabsPoser
6RuntimePythonposerScriptsPoserLuxExporter_alpha_1-23a_002workersPoserLuxExporter_workers.py",
line 459, in write<br></br>
    f = open(fname.rsplit(".", 1)[0] +
".lxl", "w")<br></br>
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'rsplit

I'm checking with Poser 7 to see if the error comes up.

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 3:59 PM

Quote - The actual wishlist has some things we have already done:

FAQ:

I have not attempted dynamic hair, but the Kozaburo hair models I have used have transferred and rendered beautifully. I wanted to add that, at least on my attempts, it does not seem that the exporter is exporting bump maps on figures.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:02 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:03 PM

For your wiki editing pleasure:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/LuxPose_Project_Help

Has all the sections; Material Hacks, Lights etc. :o).

Laurie

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:05 PM

Thanks so much Laurie for your hard work!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

ayanematrix ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:09 PM

Oh, and by the way, how does one get the subdivision portions of the exporter working? I can't seem to get it to work whenever I export a scene from LuxPose.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:09 PM

I can't take the credit. Someone else is setting up that page ;o).

Laurie

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:11 PM

Quote -  That sound ok?

Very :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:13 PM

Quote - > Quote -  That sound ok?

Very :)

That's what I'll do then :)

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:18 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:22 PM

And a separate page for the lights:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Luxpose_Project_Help_-_Lights

There is a sample box with the Luxrender syntax in it you can copy and edit to make sure your code syntax from Luxrender shows up properly on the wiki page. Wiki uses # and quotes and things for it's own code, so you have to fudge it a little bit ;o).

Laurie

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:25 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:25 PM

Quote - Hey ADP, I got the following error while trying to export a scene from Poser 6:

6RuntimePythonposerScriptsPoserLuxExporter_alpha_1-23a_002workersPoserLuxExporter_workers.py",
".lxl", "w")<br></br>

It's just because Python 2.2 does not know rsplit. I replaced the splitting with something other.

Want to give it another try?

Flenser ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:38 PM

Would it be a good idea to ask the Luxrender people to add a LuxPose section to the main Luxrender wiki?
It looks like a more flexible wiki than the renderosity wiki, might be easier to keep it clean.

Software: OS X 10.8 - Poser Pro 2012 SR2 - Luxrender 1.0RC3 - Pose2Lux
Hardware: iMac - 3.06 GHz Core2Duo - 12 GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4670 - 256 MB

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:41 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quote - Would it be a good idea to ask the Luxrender people to add a LuxPose section to the main Luxrender wiki?
It looks like a more flexible wiki than the renderosity wiki, might be easier to keep it clean.

I personally wouldn't want to do that just yet. Maybe after the exporter is all finished. Maybe ;o). Otherwise, I prefer not to bother them with it. After all, LuxPose isn't their problem, but ours ;o). They already have plenty to do and look after.

Laurie

ksanderson ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 4:44 PM

Quote - For your wiki editing pleasure:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/LuxPose_Project_Help

Has all the sections; Material Hacks, Lights etc. :o).

Laurie

Thanks to you and everyone for all the hard work. I hope to play with this soon!

Kevin

ayanematrix ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 5:14 PM

Quote - > Quote - Hey ADP, I got the following error while trying to export a scene from Poser 6:

".lxl", "w")<br></br>

It's just because Python 2.2 does not know rsplit. I replaced the splitting with something other.

Want to give it another try?

Awesome quick fix man! Exporting from Poser 6 works just as well as Poser 7.

The only other thing that I can see would be how the lights are currently being written out. At the moment, they are all given the same name of default which seems to give visual errors on how the polygons of figures are rendered. I guess I'm trying to say that most of them appear to be massive black blocks instead of smooth shadows; but, if you give them all separate names like Light 1, Light 2, and etc the shadows render smoothly. Though, technically, that might be a problem with how Lux itself interprets the lights from the exporter.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 5:57 PM

Quote -
The only other thing that I can see would be how the lights are currently being written out. At the moment, they are all given the same name of default which seems to give visual errors on how the polygons of figures are rendered. I guess I'm trying to say that most of them appear to be massive black blocks instead of smooth shadows; but, if you give them all separate names like Light 1, Light 2, and etc the shadows render smoothly. Though, technically, that might be a problem with how Lux itself interprets the lights from the exporter.

Can you please post yout *.lxl file?

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 5:59 PM

Thank you all for your support to make Poser 6 working!

raven ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 6:34 PM

file_459239.jpg

Not too keen on the hair export now, my hairy rat looks like it's been sitting on a Play-Doh barber chair! :) Exact same scene, the only difference is the version of the exporter used.

rty ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 6:44 PM

Quote - Why don't you start writing a documentation for users, not developers?

Because it didn't occurred to me that this could be of any use: Hacking LuxPose material files is a pastime which will go the way of the dodo as soon as bagginsbill's material translator is released.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 6:58 PM

Quote - > Quote - Why don't you start writing a documentation for users, not developers?

Because it didn't occurred to me that this could be of any use: Hacking LuxPose material files is a pastime which will go the way of the dodo as soon as bagginsbill's material translator is released.

That was more or less my argument, but oh well ;o)

Laurie

odf ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:02 PM
Online Now!

Quote - Not too keen on the hair export now, my hairy rat looks like it's been sitting on a Play-Doh barber chair! :)
Exact same scene, the only difference is the version of the exporter used.

Patience! No UVs are exported yet for hair. I'll add that soon.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

rty ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:03 PM

Quote - I wanted to add that, at least on my attempts, it does not seem that the exporter is exporting bump maps on figures.

Bump maps are exported, and work just fine. Keep in mind there is a slight difference in the amount though, so you might want to make them a little stronger in Poser before exporting.

You can also edit the amount of bump in the material file, just look out for "bumpmap" declarations.

And for all you material hackers out there, export yourself an empty scene with a high-res Poser ball and 2 resized point lights (to get area lights); That's the perfect playground for making quick tests.

rty ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:04 PM

Quote - That was more or less my argument, but oh well ;o)

Yes, sorry, I was 4 pages late and replied as I went along.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:11 PM

I was just agreeing with you...lol

Laurie

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:12 PM

Actually, some people are always going to want to tweak the Lux files by hand so it might not be such a bad idea to keep those wiki pages

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

raven ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quote - > Quote - Not too keen on the hair export now, my hairy rat looks like it's been sitting on a Play-Doh barber chair! :)

No worries, I'm only mucking about. Here's a YouTube link to a Play-doh barber chair advert. I so wanted one when I was a kid! :)

rty ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:36 PM

Quote - Actually, some people are always going to want to tweak the Lux files by hand so it might not be such a bad idea to keep those wiki pages

If LuxPose lives up to the expectations, it would be as pointless as editing MS Word files in a hexadecimal editor...
The point of a GUI being to allow people to easily pick features and let the app do the magic - and even preview your choices - If I had got $1 for each time I fired up Lux for 50 S/px test renders those last weeks, I would be able to buy me a new computer...

odf ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 7:37 PM
Online Now!

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Not too keen on the hair export now, my hairy rat looks like it's been sitting on a Play-Doh barber chair! :)

No worries, I'm only mucking about. Here's a YouTube link to a Play-doh barber chair advert. I so wanted one when I was a kid! :)

That looks like fun. I can totally see myself playing with that as a kid.

Anyway, if you make the hairs finer on your rat, they'll look less like play-doh. And I'll change the exporter so that it will pick up the UVs from the hair base.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 8:00 PM

Quote - > Quote - Actually, some people are always going to want to tweak the Lux files by hand so it might not be such a bad idea to keep those wiki pages

If LuxPose lives up to the expectations, it would be as pointless as editing MS Word files in a hexadecimal editor...
The point of a GUI being to allow people to easily pick features and let the app do the magic - and even preview your choices - If I had got $1 for each time I fired up Lux for 50 S/px test renders those last weeks, I would be able to buy me a new computer...

Believe it or not: Some people will push their tools over the limits. 

rty ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 9:08 PM

Quote - Believe it or not: Some people will push their tools over the limits.

I do believe it, I do it all the time. But if I do it (and how much) depends heavily on the tools' capacities and user-friendliness. My point (since everybody seems to miss it) is, I'm not going to bet that LuxPose will be a clumsy piece of crap and we'd better settle for alternate solutions ASAP.

Here another important reason why I shouldn't do it:
There is a difference between dropping a hint in a living discussion forum, and creating a static, read-only website/Wiki, which will be read, quoted and linked to from everywhere in the world. Doing that is a task for people perfectly knowing what they're talking about.
I've never heard about Lux before Reality was announced, so I really don't think I'm the best choice for writing an official monograph on LuxRender file syntax. Only a Lux dev can do that, and maintain that. Me doing it would do much more damage than help.

Anyway, before we sink into a long and OT epistemological debate - If bagginsbill announces that he won't do the material exporter after all, and nobody else steps up to the task, leaving LuxPose with just P4 level material management, we (that's rg5a and me) might consider writing something like that. I sure hope it won't come to that.
In the meantime, people can ask for their urgent needs, or, just do what we've done ourselves: Get LuxBlend (the official, perfect exporter), use it to make hundreds of materials, render them, tweak them, render again, and so on. And read the Lux forums for undocumented features and things too complicated to be discovered through LuxBlend (like the new volumetric "glass2" material, which is a pain to set up).

Flenser ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 9:11 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 9:17 PM

I agree, I can imagine going into the lxm/lxo/lxs files to fine tune some materials or other settings.

So rty, if you've already done a lot of research into the exact material settings and their effects then that would be extremely valuable to have documented. And highly appreciated.

=== The above was crossposted with rty's post ===

I don't expect the LuxPose exporter to be anywhere near final in the next 1 or 2 months, that's a lot of time for your documentation to be useful.

Your second point about the Lux developers being the ones to do this kind of stuff.. reading the lux forums they seem to be way too busy to work on documenting stuff, and anyway developers are usually not the best document writers. You could be making a great contribution to the entire Luxrender community, not just our little group.

DisneyFan ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 9:31 PM · edited Wed, 15 September 2010 at 9:46 PM

Woot!  Hair works!  I've got a render in the works, what I can see so far looks really good!  :biggrin:

Raven - it looks like you have your hair strands set too thick.  You may need to reduce the root width (maybe tip width, too), and increase the population number. 

----------------------------------------------

currently using Poser Pro 2014, Win 10

ayanematrix ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 10:08 PM

file_459243.jpg

> Quote - Can you please post yout *.lxl file?

Sure posting original contents and modified contents. I would have posted them sooner, but my laptop was busy trying to see if the render would at least get somewhere.

Original:
# start lights

LightGroup "default"
# start light "Light 1"
AttributeBegin
LightSource "sun"
 "float aconst" [0.5] "float bconst" [0.5] "float cconst" [1.0] "float dconst" [1.0] "float econst" [1.0] "float turbidity" [2]
 "float gain" [0.0075]
 "vector sundir" [-0.402317404747 0.184226155281 0.326651841402]
AttributeEnd
# end light "Light 1"

LightGroup "default"
# start light "Light 2"
AttributeBegin
LightSource "sun"
 "float aconst" [0.5] "float bconst" [0.5] "float cconst" [1.0] "float dconst" [1.0] "float econst" [1.0] "float turbidity" [2]
 "float gain" [0.0075]
 "vector sundir" [-0.234419792891 -0.435165941715 0.241201102734]
AttributeEnd
# end light "Light 2"

LightGroup "default"
# start light "Light 3"
AttributeBegin
LightSource "sun"
 "float gain" [0.0075]
 "vector sundir" [0.437095701694 0.182321935892 -0.279653400183]
AttributeEnd
# end light "Light 3"

# end lights

Modified:
# start lights

LightGroup "Light 1"
# start light "Light 1"
AttributeBegin
LightSource "sun"
 "float gain" [0.0075]
 "vector sundir" [-0.402317404747 0.184226155281 0.326651841402]
AttributeEnd
# end light "Light 1"

LightGroup "Light 2"
# start light "Light 2"
AttributeBegin
LightSource "sun"
 "float gain" [0.0075]
 "vector sundir" [-0.234419792891 -0.435165941715 0.241201102734]
AttributeEnd
# end light "Light 2"

LightGroup "Light 3"
# start light "Light 3"
AttributeBegin
LightSource "sun"
 "float gain" [0.0075]
 "vector sundir" [0.437095701694 0.182321935892 -0.279653400183]
AttributeEnd
# end light "Light 3"

# end lights

The end result of which is the attached image, which I only now realize was supposed to be under 200k. !>_<! And I didn't keep the previous render illustrating the issue. Though, I do see some polygon tearing on the model, maybe that's what caused the original issue in the first place?

Flenser ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 10:36 PM

I'm guessing you had 'infinite' lights in Poser, these get translated into 'sun' lights for Lux now.

You probably want to change them to either 'spot' or 'point' lights in Poser; or just remove the 2 additional suns so you only keep 1 sun. :)

dlfurman ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 10:39 PM

Quick Question:
Do you get a skewed image when you copy it from LuxRender to the clipboard and then into a image editing program like Photoshop?

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

DisneyFan ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2010 at 10:57 PM

Quote - Quick Question:
Do you get a skewed image when you copy it from LuxRender to the clipboard and then into a image editing program like Photoshop?

Usually.  I've kind of given up on that.  But if you go to the directory your Lux file is in, you should find a .png with the same name - it's writing to that image regularly.  Usually I open that, instead.

----------------------------------------------

currently using Poser Pro 2014, Win 10

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 1:32 AM · edited Thu, 16 September 2010 at 1:34 AM

I tried the latest script in poser 6 and it works. :thumbupboth:

How does the luxpose.air program work, it doesn`t seem to have any way to load or save files?

odf ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 1:43 AM
Online Now!

Nice work on the Poser 6 backport, hive mind! :laugh:

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 2:34 AM · edited Thu, 16 September 2010 at 2:36 AM

Quote - Your second point about the Lux developers being the ones to do this kind of stuff.. reading the lux forums they seem to be way too busy to work on documenting stuff, and anyway developers are usually not the best document writers. You could be making a great contribution to the entire Luxrender community, not just our little group.

That may be true, but I prefer not to piss off the Luxrender ppl right now with barrages of questions on a not-as-yet-fully-developed exporter they know nothing about. The Reality users are already posting in their forums on how to install Reality ffs...do you want to add Poser users to that mix? Not like Poser users already are looked down upon or anything ;o). Truth is, why would they want to add our stuff to their wiki and why would we want to add our stuff when we have a perfectly good wiki we can use here? With what I've seen over there posted by Daz users trying to use Reality (a program the Luxrender developers have absolutely nothing to do with) I can only assume misinformed Poser users will do the same - ask the wrong questions of the wrong people. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to see that ;o).

Laurie

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 3:02 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Why don't you start writing a documentation for users, not developers?

That was more or less my argument, but oh well ;o)

Laurie

Not necessarily, there's bound to be people who want to get their hands dirty with the code rather than go back into the exporter or Poser to fiddle with settings.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 3:06 AM · edited Thu, 16 September 2010 at 3:09 AM

For editing the LuxPose Project Help pages:

Wikipedia Cheat Sheet

This gives a quick list of some formatting you can use to get the results you want.

LuxPose Project Help
LuxPose Project Help - Lights this page also includes example lights Luxrender code that you can copy, paste and edit if you want.

Please do not edit the main LuxPose page ;o).

Laurie

Latexluv ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 3:06 AM

I agree Laurie! This is still a project in the making. Perhaps when all is fully completed the Lux people might put a link to the exporter as they have for Blender and ect. Oh, and by the way, I do like the logo someone posted a couple of pages back.

As for me, I decided to get ambitious (seeings as it is my birthday) and tried exporting my Nuka Cola bottle to Lux. BB is right, the glass material isn't working for it. You can't see the cola inside the bottle.  Oh, well. Probably I was getting way too ambitious.

Weapons of choice:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.