Wed, Oct 2, 9:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: OT: Does anyone here know anthing about the Jewish Ladino dialect?

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2011 at 11:27 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 7:21 PM

The heroine of my Emberglow Saga series is a Spanish Jewess from Salonika, in what was then Ottoman Greece.  While my wife is a Spanish Jewess from Allepo Syria, her family spoke a jewish Arabic at home rather than Ladino.  Therefore, I'd like to consult with any members here who might be familiar with that dialect.

David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 12:10 AM · edited Fri, 08 July 2011 at 12:13 AM

According to wiki, there aren't a large number of speakers anymore.  Perhaps less than 150k worldwide.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 12:30 AM

But in 1838. when my story takes place, there were.

dph

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 4:56 AM

Since you live in the present, David, you're sort-of stuck with that 150k speaker/user-base to try to connect to for reference purposes, aren't you? 😉 Good luck!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 9:56 AM

I assume you found this?

http://home.earthlink.net/~benven/ladino.html

I looked for the "Ladino Folk Dictonary" on Amazon and Abebooks. No luck.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 10:53 AM

@nobodyinparticular;

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that link.  I should prove useful! 👍

dph

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 11:06 AM

You are constrained further that certain idioms, phrases and words may not mean the same now then it did back in 1838.  Individuals miss that point when doing period pieces.

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 11:33 AM

I may just go with Portuguese, since that language seems to be closer to 14 Century Castillian than modern day Spanish does.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 4:19 PM

With only 150,000 speakers world-wide, the chances of any of them coming to Renderosity and picking apart dialect is slim to none.

I understand the desire for accuracy, but for something as obscure as a nearly extinct language, I think there is room for forgiveness when it comes to grammar etc. :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 7:53 PM

Quote - With only 150,000 speakers world-wide, the chances of any of them coming to Renderosity and picking apart dialect is slim to none. I understand the desire for accuracy, but for something as obscure as a nearly extinct language, I think there is room for forgiveness when it comes to grammar etc. :)

Exactly! As Acadia says, the chances of one of those 150 thousand reading your opus is about that of raising the Titanic with tweezers... (well, that last bit was mine) so I'd be pretty sure no one else is going to look at a phrase and go "Hang on... that's not how it goes! David obviously didn't do his homework!" :biggrin:

Metaphor of Chooks

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 9:38 PM

conversely, there's only 150k people that would fault any grammatical or spelling mistakes...;)

I'd figure there would be some online Ladino communities on the web somewhere...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2011 at 9:57 PM · edited Fri, 08 July 2011 at 9:57 PM

Metaphor of Chooks

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 4:38 AM
Site Admin

Well Dave you're in luck :)  While I don't speak it, I do live in Thessaloniki (Salonica) so I could probably find you someone who does through the local Jewish community center.   PM me details of what you'd like exactly and I'll see what I can do :)

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 4:59 AM · edited Sat, 09 July 2011 at 5:09 AM
Site Admin

Here are a couple of links to sites that are also available in English.   I see that the museum includes a library where there are resources on language so that might also prove helpful. 

http://www.jct.gr/v2/

http://www.jmth.gr/index.html

And something you might also find interesting is Radio Sefarad. http://www.radiosefarad.com/joomla/    It's aimed mostly at Jewish populations in Spain and Latin America but also ladino-speaking people so you might be able to hear the dialect as well.  More on this station here:  http://www.jct.gr/v2/view.php?id=194 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.