Thu, Sep 19, 6:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Photography Forum Challenge - August 2011 - "TREASURE"

Meisiekind ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 9:48 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:20 PM

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

dochtersions ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 10:44 AM

Dear Carin,

That will be a treasure hunt, huh?
I will do my best.

Friend-greetings, Mies. :)

kgb224 ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 9:59 PM

Thank you for the new challenge Carin.I am off hunting treasures.

God Bless.

myrrhluz ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 10:58 PM

file_471397.jpg

Blessed rain.  Taken during our only soaker this summer.

dochtersions ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2011 at 8:19 AM

A good interpretation and a picture of something which you may crave.
I hope you can very soon make many more pictures of such a downpour, dear Lucinda ;-)

myrrhluz ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2011 at 5:29 PM · edited Tue, 02 August 2011 at 5:30 PM

Thank you Jacomina. :)  We treasure our water in the Edwards Aquifer and lately we think of how much we treasure it A LOT.  I hope for more opportunities to get more pictures like this too!

kgb224 ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 12:18 AM

Wonderful upload and treasure myrrhluz to strat of this challenge.

God Bless.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 11:08 AM

Great start Lucinda! Looks like this is going a bit slow!

Come on friends - let's show what we treasure!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 12:03 PM

file_471631.jpg

This is my first upload!

I treasure children for they are the future.

My granddaughter is in the top row on the left.

Elliott Erwitt

emmecielle ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 3:43 PM

The uploaded photos are genuine treasures! Congratulations to all! :-)

emmecielle ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2011 at 3:54 PM

file_471639.jpg

My first insert... a treasure came from the sea!

Have a great week!   :-)

dochtersions ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 6:42 AM

Yes, I recognise your lovely granddaughter, dear Carin.
Its a beautiful capture, ful of treasures, and a very fine contribution to this challenge.

WOW, how I love what's coming out of the sea to you ;-), dear Maria C.
Very special and it looks wonderful. In forms, textures, this looks great.
I would like, such kind of things where coming here to me :D

I will do my best, dear Carin.
I have music which is as a treasure to me, and also means a lot to me; but of that you cannot make a photo! ;-)
Then there is my dear husband, which don't like to take a picture from, LOL!

Do have a nice week, everyone,
thump up.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 9:59 AM

@ Maria C - wonderful ocean treasures. There is such a diverse and greatly unknown under the waters of the ocean! Wonderful treasure capture!

Hugs xx

Elliott Erwitt

myrrhluz ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 11:07 AM

Wonderful image of children!  I love looking at all their expressions.  Lovely granddaughter!

Beautiful treasures from the sea!  Wonderful textures!

dochtersions ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 3:18 PM

file_471669.jpg

This is an old picture (dia-scan)of our sweet cat, Heidi. Unfortunately she is deceased. She is very young on this picture. It was a very sweet and very smart animal. She was here at home also gave birth to four young, I was there when they were born. We miss her still.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 3:39 PM

Our pets are like our children Mies! Thank you for sharing this lovely image of your treasured kitty!

I am sorry to hear that she passed on.

Elliott Erwitt

emmecielle ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 3:43 PM

What a lovely kitty, your Heidi, Mies! A real treasure!

myrrhluz ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2011 at 8:59 PM

A wonderful treasure!  She reminds me very much of a cat I had, named Joey.  I'm sorry she is gone.  Beautiful photo!

kgb224 ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2011 at 3:30 AM

Stunning treasures shared by every one.

God Bless.

emmecielle ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2011 at 2:52 PM

file_471704.jpg

Inspired by the fairy tale Andersen's "The tin soldier," I like to imagine a love story between the wooden manikin and my old doll!

With the hope that there isn't around a little devil damn jealous of this sweet "love"! ;-)

myrrhluz ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 12:06 AM

Aww, sweet image Maria!  Hopefully there is just love and kindness all around.  Lovely treasures!

kgb224 ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 3:19 AM

file_471720.JPG

Iwould like to share three bird treasures captured recently at Jan Cilliers Park.

First capture Green ( Red Billed) Wood Hoopoe.

kgb224 ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 3:20 AM

file_471721.JPG

Second capture.

Male Cape Weaver.

kgb224 ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 3:21 AM

file_471722.JPG

Third Capture.

The Funny Mousebird.

Trust everyone will enjoy these bird treasures.

dochtersions ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 11:16 AM

A wonderful and 'to be proud of treasure-capture', Christo!

dochtersions ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 11:19 AM

Dear Maria,

Such a caring and lovely treasure is to see in your beautiful upload.
May be that the devil is jealous, but Love gives him no chance at all!

myrrhluz ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 12:10 PM

Beautiful birds, Christo! Excellent captures! The last one has his eye on you. 

emmecielle ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 2:48 PM

Fantastic images, Christo! :-)

kgb224 ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2011 at 6:01 PM · edited Wed, 10 August 2011 at 6:05 PM

Thank you Mies,Myrrhluz and Emmecielle. Glad i could share these treasures. Quite hard work captureing them hiding either in my vehicle or behind trees when capturing these treasures.

God Bless.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 4:17 PM · edited Thu, 11 August 2011 at 4:22 PM

file_471801.jpg

This is a treasure…the torn and imperfect web of some night spider, now served well and covered with dew from the morning fog.  But I feel many treasures, often in simple things like the spider web or a cormorant surprising me and rising from the river inlet and passing close.  From a distance that dark bird is a treasure. Don’t try to hold one. That neck is fast and definite with a swing of the head wielding the beak it uses for fishing now in defense. You will let go. The bird will fly away. 

There is an old Welsh creeping climbing rose bush at the corner of the drive.  I spend time in the spring tying back the eager new canes.  When the buds come we await the blossoms. When the blossoms come we take each new one to hold and smell the fresh sweetness.  They do not last long. When gone there is a springtime snow storm of petals around the bush. 

Yet, these are not my treasure.  The treasure is being able to enjoy these things. You see, there are times when life takes from you, empties you and leaves behind a pit of emptiness you cannot fill.  So this is why the ancients considered the tummy the center of emotion, knowing when the heart is broken the middle of each of us is hollow, craving to be filled but nothing can take away the constant void within.  Oh, that is real.   I have felt it and lived through it over time.  At those times, the beauty of the spider web is seen but not realized. The sweet fragrance of the rose is sensed but there is little joy.  I step back from these treasures and have with me the emptiness..part of me is missing and I don’t  know how to get it back and be whole again.  The little treasures slip away.  I wish that on no one but we each will face it sometime and again. 

My treasures are well defined.  My God, my wonderful wife, my little family.   With those treasures in my life I may go to the river and look through the fog at beauty, or smell the rose, or laugh at the funny sound of toads having a conversation.  With those treasures, I am not empty. With those treasures I am greatly blessed. 

(This photo will be in my gallery soon, I am sure of that.)

kgb224 ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 5:08 PM · edited Thu, 11 August 2011 at 5:08 PM

Thank you for those treasured words and capture Tom.

God Bless.

myrrhluz ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 6:08 PM

Beautiful image and words, Tom.   Treasures of the heart are a blending of a physical presence and the emotions surrounding them.   It is a state of mind and I agree that the real treasure is in being able to see the beauty and feel the joy and connection.   

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 6:21 PM

Thank you for the kind response. 

I am so very impressed with the overall content of this thread...I can see how those treasures are very real.  I have given up chasing rainbows but sure do love to see them and wonder.

myrrhluz ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 11:25 PM · edited Thu, 11 August 2011 at 11:26 PM

file_471815.jpg

When I first heard the subject for this thread, I knew that one of my responses would be books.  They have been an important part of my life, helping me through loneliness, and sadness, enriching my mind, pulling me into to adventures, and giving me the giggles.  Here are some of my favorites, and two stories.

As children, my sister Leslie and I had a regular pastime of reading poems to each other and quotes from Bartlette's Familiar quotations.  The poetry book we used most often was "The Best Loved Poems of the American People."  I can look at these two books and picture the two of us sprawled out on the carpet, taking turns reading poems and quotes.  When I was in Tech School in the Air Force, I cashed my check (a pretty paltry affair), took a bus to the mall, walked straight into Walden's, and bought my own copies of Bartlett's, Best Loved Poems, and "The Complete Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay".  My shopping was done, my money was all gone, and I felt as rich as the Queen. 

The Stephen Vincent Benet book is an old one that was my mom's that she got as a gift from a roomate before I was born.  She gave it to me recently.  It is a book of short stories.  The first story is "By The Waters of Babylon."  It is the first science fiction story that I ever read.  Every time I picked up this book, I would have to read this story again first.  When I read it, I can still feel the wonder of entering a world totally different and infinitely sadder than my own.

Books are a definite treasure to me, whether they cheer me up like Douglas Adams' and Terry Pratchett's books, stir my emotions, teach me about the past, take me on adventures, or into the life of someone long dead.  My life would be a much poorer one without them.

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 12:58 AM

Good Omens!  :D

LOVE that book!  It vies for first place on my list of favorites.  Other contenders are more serious works, but Good Omens is never below second!  :)

I'm still thinking about the theme ...

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

myrrhluz ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 1:10 AM

I love it too.  As you can see, this is not my first copy. It's still in one piece!  Good Omens and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul get regular reading. 

anianiani ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 1:14 AM

A conversation between couples..

anianiani ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 1:27 AM

anianiani ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 1:40 AM

file_471818.jpg

myrrhluz ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 1:42 AM

Great image, Ani!  Good conversation is a treasure indeed. 

kgb224 ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 1:45 AM

Stunning capture Anil.

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 8:44 AM

We read and it may become part of our lives.  I don't read like I did years ago but have kept all my literature text books because I loved the content and still do.  Amazing how a writer may be modern or from many years ago and speak to us. 

Ani..good conversation is precious. This is a simple image showing something all of us may appreciate...for those who cannot of do not, they are missing much of life and value in others.  Thanks.  : )

dochtersions ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 9:39 AM · edited Mon, 15 August 2011 at 9:41 AM

file_471900.jpg

Thomas,

The photo is a very fine, beautiful one, I really love this.

As I love your words, your philosophy about treasure and I understand the intensely very well.
These are the feelings from within, the riches with which we are blessed. It feel like a 'publicity' of beauty in simplicity, sometimes so very small, but with a big sensitiveness.
It can be, my words are not good English. Forgive me please, thats because I'm 'Dutch'.

quote: The treasure is being able to enjoy these things. so it is for sure.
And I say thanks to our God, we can feel this feelings.

So it is with this photo, I feel so much love for those young girls, wich I unexpectedly met. In the past I used to work with girls of that age, and that was such wonderful.
The joy which we could share with each other. I hope you can understand, (sure it is, I guess ;-)).

dochtersions ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 9:48 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see the other uploads and words.

I too love books. Wonderful treasures they are, also for me, as for our children.

As I love a good connect and conversation between people, Anianiani!

Beautiful uploads, and so valuable!

God bless,
Mies.

kgb224 ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 11:01 AM

Mies thank you for sharing your treasure and words.

God Bless.

myrrhluz ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 11:14 AM

Beautiful image, dear Jacomina.  The love and connection we find with the people around us is a wonderful treasure that enriches the world. I see it shining out or these girls faces.

Lashia ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 11:35 AM

@Lucinda   Your first shot is a beautiful capture of something everyone has felt, rain is so full of emotion, beautiful raw shot. And I agree wit hyour second post, I have a bookshelf full of only my favourite books that I've read, or my favourite artists that I havent read. A treasure we share.

*@Carin *  A wonderful shot of your granddaughter, many would agree that their grandchildren are their most prized treasures. I love the long crop and how it is candid to all the children

*@Maria *  Wow it looks like this sea treasure has been given a coat of gold. Great textures in that find! And your second image is a great setup shot, I saw the imaginative story line right away

@Mies    Heidi was a beautiful cat! I love her eyes, and your POV from the grass really puts her into her hunter element. A beautiful dedication to put her shot into this months challenge :) The shot of the girls is a great addition, you can see from this capture that they all treasure riding :P

@Christo    I love the third bird the most. And your POV's are all very interesting, beautiful DOF created with the branches. Seems so candid.

@Tom    I agree with your list of treasures :) it is so easy to forget that everything around us, is in our own ways, little treasures. We surround ourselves with the things that we love and praise everyday, and this is beautiful dedication of the simplicity of that thought.

@Anil   Definitly the treasure of love. Beautiful capture and close crop on this wonderful couple

Everyone has taken this months challenge outside the box. Awesome work so far, and I must appologize for my late comments, I couldnt find it because this forum isnt linked to any of the "Forum Challenge" Links in the gallery, and I think thats why we're not getting many members post this month. I am off to search for my 3 (wont be hard after seeing these beautiful examples) and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the entries :)

Lashia

Lashia

emmecielle ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2011 at 12:13 PM

file_471927.jpg

I thought a lot about the last image to be inserted. I was very torn between the various photos... the wedding rings of my parents, my sister's stuffed parrot, the old Singer sewing machine from my mom, some other object to which I am bound in a special way... but then I thought about an Italian saying: **"Who finds a friend finds a treasure"** and consequently to the friendship that binds me to so many people, even here on Renderosity!

I had so much pain in my life... betrayal, grief, disappointment, nervous breakdown, more or less serious diseases... I think all of us somewhat we also had a small part of it!

But every time I have raised with the love of true friends... without them I would not be here to tell you about it!

So I want to spare a thought to all my friends who love me and who I love... but what image can make the most of this love?

I thought the book by Gibran Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet" and his thoughts on Friendship.

I cannot translate it into English, I'm not so good, and also making use of online translator, it certainly will not be a good translation... so I write in Italian, surely you will find the translation on the Internet in your native language! And if you have the book at home, the better!

A hug to you all! :-)

da IL Profeta

di

Gibran Kahlil Gibran

E un giovane disse: Parlaci dell'Amicizia.

Ed egli rispose, dicendo:

Il vostro amico è i vostri bisogni esauditi.

È il vostro campo, che seminate con amore e che mietete con gratitudine.

Egli è la vostra mensa e l'angolino accanto al fuoco.

Perché vi recate da lui con la fame, e lo cercate per avere pace.

Se il vostro amico vi apre la mente, non temete il "no" nella vostra, né trattenete il vostro "sì".

E se lo vedrete silenzioso, il vostro cuore non cessi d'ascoltare il suo cuore;

Perché senza parlare, nell'amicizia, tutti i pensieri, tutti i desideri,

tutte le aspettazioni, nascono e sono condivisi con una gioia priva di clamori.

Non vi attristate, quando vi dividete dall'amico;

Perché le cose che amate di più in lui saranno più evidenti durante l'assenza,

come la montagna a chi sale, che è più nitida dal piano.

E non vi sia altro scopo nell'amicizia che l'approfondimento dello spirito.

Perché l'amore che non cerca unicamente lo schiudersi del proprio mistero,

non è amore, ma una rete che pesca soltanto cose inutili.

La parte migliore di voi sia per l'amico.

Se egli deve conoscere il deflusso della vostra marea, fate in modo che ne conosca anche il flusso.

Perché cos'è il vostro amico, se andate in cerca di lui per uccidere il tempo?

Cercatelo invece avendo tempo da vivere.

Perché egli è lì per servire al vostro bisogno, non per riempire il vostro vuoto.

E nella soavità dell'amicizia fate che abbondino risa, e piaceri condivisi.

Perché è nella rugiada delle piccole cose che il cuore trova il suo mattino e si ristora.

emmecielle ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2011 at 12:27 PM

Congratulations to all the pretty pictures included! :-)

Chipka ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2011 at 11:12 PM

file_472001.JPG

Treasure, for me, is a verb: it is a state of being.  I suppose if I stopped and thought about it, I’d have to say that treasure is a synonym for happiness, and happiness is a synonym for peace-of-mind.  It’s something I felt for two blessed years in a country that didn’t exist when I was a child. 

When I first arrived in theCzechRepublic, I’d intended to stay for only three months.  I’d hoped to arrive inRussia, to make a new life inMoscowwith someone special to me.  Russian immigration is a difficult thing, if you’re not filthy rich.  I am not filthy rich.  And so three months in theCzech Republicturned into two years.  I don’t mind that.  I discovered that home is a word best spoken in Czech, among friends who talk to ducks, friends who care little for fashion and find it completely reasonable to wear green and white football (socker) socks that don’t match anything else he’s wearing, and friends who listen to the Ramones and Bob Dylan, while arriving late to work. 

I saw the full moon many times in theCzechRepublic, most notably in the city ofPrague, and the small, magical town of Český Krumlov.  I saw the full moon with a friend named Jarda: a bartender/waiter at a small hospoda (pub) near the old Český Krumlov gate-house.  I’d spent the day with friends fromEngland.  We’d gone to Český Krumlov for the weekend.  We stayed for nearly two weeks.  I developed a friendship with Jarda (Jaroslav) and on one particular night, we ambled around the town, smoking cigarettes like fiends (a common occurrence in theCzech Republic) and eventually settling down on a rock in theVltavaRiver.  The river meanders through the town and below the disproportionately large castle at the middle of the town.  If you’ve seen the movie “The Illusionist” you’ve seen parts of the Český Krumlov castle—one shot taken through the display window of a small convenience store situated across from the castle gate.  The Český Krumlov castle is distinct for its painted tower, but on the night that Jarda and I sat on a rock in the river, we didn’t see the tower.  We only saw the cliff on which a part of the castle perched.  We saw darkened windows and tourist-attracting spotlights.  We saw ducks, and at some point, Jarda pulled his sandals off and plunged his feet into the water.  Something, he said, nibbled his toes, but I couldn’t see what.  I only saw pale, Czech toes beneath rippled water.

Later, we walked across the “wooden bridge” one of two famous bridges in the town.  The more famous “stone bridge” was the one we’d crossed in order to reach the downward-sloping path to the river-bank and the large, flat rock we’d chosen as our own.  We drank beer, smoked cigarettes, and talked about everything and nothing at all.  And later, on the wooden bridge, we paused for a long, long moment, to look at the moon.  I told him that Chicago and Český Krumlov shared that moon, and he told me that perhaps—one night in the distant, distant future, he would look at the moon, and seven hours later, I’d see the same moon with his “eye prints” all over it.

Jarda is inFinlandnow; he scored a swanky IT job, and I’m inChicago, plotting my return home.  I’ll see Jarda again…I’ll make my way to Russia and see someone else, someone special…but in the meantime, I’ll remember a mood, a river, and the prodigious number of cigarettes I smoked with a guy who worked at a local hospoda.  The moon—always something special to me—means something different now, and I think it’s an incredible treasure. 

I saw the moon a couple of nights ago.  I stood with Corey on his back porch, photographing it and talking about everything and nothing at all.  Jarda is in Finland, Victor is in Russia, and I’m in Chicago, but maybe—just maybe—there are Russian and Czech “eye prints” all over the moon in this photograph.  If so, then the moon and the “eye prints” represent a treasure of incalculable value.

myrrhluz ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2011 at 12:01 AM

Maria, beautiful saying and quote.  I wish I knew Italian to get its true flavor, but the translation did let me see some of its beauty and wisdom.  I like the line that a friend is the corner by the fire. 

Most excellent to see you here, Chip!  To read your words, look at your image, and think of "eye prints" on the moon. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.