Fri, Sep 20, 1:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 12:11 am)

Subject: DS VS Poser

Nathalie_ ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2011 at 7:06 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:29 AM

Hi,

I create a thread to know who use Poser and who use Dazstudio

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3800274&ebot_calc_page#message_3800274

Nathalie

kylumi ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2011 at 10:46 AM

I started out by purchasing and using Poser but, switched to Daz soon afterwards and have been with it ever since.

DaveF ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2011 at 1:16 PM

I use DAZ Studio 99.99% of the time. I've worked with Poser since version 1.5 and gave up on it after DS3 Advanced was released. I keep a current Poser license only for product development — but never use it for rendering anymore. Now I'm familiarizing myself with DS4 and am excited about its new features. Even on a Mac Pro, Poser still hangs and hesitates and it takes forever to set up a scene. DAZ Studio 3's content management system has made finding assets so much easier and I can whip up and render a scene in no time. Plus, I like the 3Delight render engine better than Firefly.

Regards,

Dave Frohmader (Nagus)

DAZ Studio for Beginners Tutorials

DustRider ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2011 at 12:16 AM

Carrara, DS, and Poser. A quick glance at my gallery (link below) will show you which I prefer, but I do use all three. They are all very capable of great results, it all depends on personal preferences and the tool set needed.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=DustRider

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2011 at 2:20 AM

i only use daz and bryce never came along with poser.

now testing the new daz 4

RodS ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2011 at 1:15 AM

I use Poser 8 exclusively for my 3D work. It seems to run pretty well on my HP quad-core system w/Win7 64 bit. It still has a few quirks (such as when I change a figure's pose, sometimes the hair and clothing don't follow the figure - reconforming one item results in all items snapping back where they're supposed to be..LOL).

I have DS3, but haven't had time to play with it much. I just DL'd DAZ4 - but I think I'll let the Cyberdoc figure out how to fix the bugs before I install it myself... LOL!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2011 at 1:59 AM

yeah let the doc take the coals out of the fire as we say lol.

Quote - I use Poser 8 exclusively for my 3D work. It seems to run pretty well on my HP quad-core system w/Win7 64 bit. It still has a few quirks (such as when I change a figure's pose, sometimes the hair and clothing don't follow the figure - reconforming one item results in all items snapping back where they're supposed to be..LOL).

I have DS3, but haven't had time to play with it much. I just DL'd DAZ4 - but I think I'll let the Cyberdoc figure out how to fix the bugs before I install it myself... LOL!

Madbat ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 1:26 AM

OMG! Half of Spacko is here! Waves @ Rene and Rod

I use Cararra, Daz and Poser. All depends on what I'm working on.

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 2:02 AM

hi shawn glad to see you around.

Quote - OMG! Half of Spacko is here! Waves @ Rene and Rod

I use Cararra, Daz and Poser. All depends on what I'm working on.

Madbat ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 2:13 AM

Yep, I'm still alive, been a bit busy lately though. I finally got my new pc back from the retailer...fixed free of charge. Now I'm scrambling to try to rearrange my space here to fit that big heap.

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 2:16 AM

in case you need help (the one never knows)i am here.

Quote - Yep, I'm still alive, been a bit busy lately though. I finally got my new pc back from the retailer...fixed free of charge. Now I'm scrambling to try to rearrange my space here to fit that big heap.

Madbat ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 2:34 AM

Help? I need help defying the known laws of 4 dimentional space-time to make this thing fit! It's HUGE!!!

Once i've violated most of the known universal laws, I need to port all my content over....yugh!

RodS ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 3:48 PM

Hey, Mr. Bat! ;-D

Spackoine isn't just a place, it's a state of mind...... Speaking of which, if you find one lying around (a mind, I mean), it's probably mine....

"Help? I need help defying the known laws of 4 dimentional space-time to make this thing fit! It's HUGE!!! Once i've violated most of the known universal laws, I need to port all my content over....yugh!"

Yah - fun, isn't it? That reminds me - time to backup my runtimes again.....

I DL'd DAZ4, and once Rene figures out all the angles (LOL) I might play with it a bit.. Assuming my freaking schedule calms down a bit... ;-P

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

Madbat ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 4:47 PM

I'm really underwhelmed by DS 4. I don't mind the interface, but I think it's a step backwards. Basically all I see is a different style of interface, new file format and the need to use it to use Genesis. AS to Genesis, I've seen the up and coming figure expantions, basicaly re-purchasing the same figures over that you already purchased. Yeah it bends better but so what.

Tentacle3D ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 5:23 AM

Quote - I'm really underwhelmed by DS 4. I don't mind the interface, but I think it's a step backwards. Basically all I see is a different style of interface, new file format and the need to use it to use Genesis. AS to Genesis, I've seen the up and coming figure expantions, basicaly re-purchasing the same figures over that you already purchased. Yeah it bends better but so what.

Not to be contentious, but much the same could be said for how Smith Micro crafted Miki 3, and how she works with Poser but not with DAZ Studio. From what I've seen so far, at least, Genesis actually incorporates many of the improvements users have been asking DAZ for, whereas Miki 3 seems to be only Miki 2 with a slightly remodeled geometry. Genesis isn't perfect, and I'm hoping DAZ has a few tweaks left to add to it, but I'm really happy with what I've seen so far.

LBAMagic ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 1:10 AM · edited Fri, 03 June 2011 at 1:11 AM

I use Daz Studio 3 Advance almost exclusivley and Photoshop CS1 for postwork.

I use Poser Pro 2010 to fix Poser content (except shaders) to work properly in DS.

tokejr ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2011 at 5:53 PM

In installed DS4 (one of the BETAs) and immediately deleted it from my computer. 

I've actually upgraded Poser and am learning it because I won't use DS4.  The Fischer Price interface is for kids and an insult to long time DS users.

The Genesis figure is nothing new.  Make Human has been doing the same thing for a very long time.

DS4 will never be installed on my computer again.

kylumi ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 5:50 AM · edited Sun, 26 June 2011 at 5:50 AM

file_470219.jpg

I installed DS4 and ran up a couple of Poses.............I have to say the software has exceeded my expectations.

At a glance the DS4 appears near perfect. It seems like everything works in double-quick time in comparison to DS3 and render cancellation in now instantaneous. Like everything else it will take some getting used and the deformer tool is absolutely crazy.....I expect to see some amazing results when people get to grips with that......super heroes, springs to mind...lol

Anyway, here I a couple of the Genesis models .......I wanted to push the bending arm capability with the guy on the podium....this pose would never have looked so good in DS3, believe me.....lol!

kylumi ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 5:51 AM

file_470220.jpg

Guy on Podium.....Genesis.

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 6:01 AM

the bended arm looks terriffic,one of the issues with vicky 4 for example is when posing you got to watch the arms and also the shoulderblades.

i do most of my works now in daz 4,sometimes an item does not show,i try to remeber it and work that specific scene in daz 3 then.

i have 3 versions installed as i mentionned before so i am ready for whatever turns up lol.

kylumi ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 7:45 AM

Quote - the bended arm looks terriffic,one of the issues with vicky 4 for example is when posing you got to watch the arms and also the shoulderblades.

i do most of my works now in daz 4,sometimes an item does not show,i try to remeber it and work that specific scene in daz 3 then.

i have 3 versions installed as i mentionned before so i am ready for whatever turns up lol.

Yes, V4 was always tricky for me too........thats why I had to keep her clothes on....lol.

tokejr ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 11:34 AM · edited Sun, 26 June 2011 at 11:35 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but every Genesis male I've seen looks like a genesis female with male hair and clothes on. 

Not impressed.  At.  All.

kylumi ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hey, renecyberdoc...............Have you checked out the search button function in the parameter settings, yet............most excellent!

bbost ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 7:46 AM

Both DS3 advanced and Poser 8

dogor ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 1:43 AM

Seems like to me by the time you buy all the plugins for DS these days you could have bought a better more stable program in Poser 8 and saved yourself a lot of agrivation and money.

I don't really care about Genesis

MatCreator ( ) posted Fri, 29 July 2011 at 7:39 PM

Been using Poser ever since "Poser", but admittedly I am becoming sick and tired of dials. You just can't compose a scene like that...

Even still, Poser or Studio, I "prefer" Carrara, and even in my Poser days did most the rendering in Bryce...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

klown ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 10:12 AM

I switched from Poser 5 to the Daz Studio when the first betas arrived, and I've been a Studio user since, but after seeing the direction Daz Studio 4 is going towards I'm thinking of returning to Poser.

Grimmshaw ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 7:17 AM · edited Sun, 31 July 2011 at 7:20 AM

I am a Poser...  user. I started with Poser 4 Pro and currently use Poser Pro 2010. I think my favorite thing about Poser Pro now is Queue Manager which allows you to render outside of Poser meaning you can continue working in Poser while your queue of renders waits its turn.

I have tried D|S, but from its clunky "Fisher Price" (as someone once mentioned) interface to its functionality I just won't use it.

While Poser does have its own issues, there would need to be a significant overhaul to a near rebuild for me to even contemplate D|S over Poser.

reine_de_style ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2011 at 12:57 PM

I use DS 3

vienastoks ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2011 at 7:34 AM

I've seen demo or trial of Poser back in MetaCreation days and was quite interested, but soon got bored because for some reason I did not discover 3d content community and marketplaces then.

Later I didn't bother to check 3D software - I thought it takes years to do things I've been seeing in renders.

So I stumbled upon DAZ3D site late this spring and downloaded free DS4 on a whim. I immediately fell in love with it and spent my life's savings on models both here and on DAZ. :D

Later I bought DS3A but didn't like the interface. After DS4 it looks like Windows 3.0. (I know that for people used to DS3, its quite different).

I also took a look at Poser 8, but didn't like it either. Very complex with a tiny space for posing (although it could be rearranged). 

So I came back to DS4. Few days ago I bought DS4A upgrade, but I'm yet to receive serials for it. :D (Their store is a mess). So I can't say whether DS4A is really for me, but I'm looking forward to have more power under the hood (64-bit Mac version, progressive rendering and some additional tools I don't know how to use yet).

kylumi ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2011 at 8:42 AM

You have purchased but not recieved serials....that, does not sound right at all.

Sign into your account then scroll down to available serial numbers....it should be there!!!

Hope you have some great fun with this superb product.

vienastoks ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2011 at 8:48 AM

Thanks for suggestion! I did it many times as well as checked thouroughly my e-mail, including spam folders. Nothing.

But this time I'm not alone in this predicament - it seems many people who paid for purchase with PayPal did not receive serials. People in US could call their tech support and get serial by phone, but I'm in Europe, and for me it would be too expensive.

I hoped I would receive my serial before their weekend barbecues (there were some 36 hours to do this), but it was not to be.

But eventually I will get the serial and then... :laugh:

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2011 at 9:54 AM

Have you yet opened a sales support ticket? Steve Kondris did say people were working at DAZ over the weekend, though not answering the phone, so you may get this resolved once you do.

vienastoks ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yes, I submitted it two days ago (#75710), including order number and PayPal transaction number. But there probably are many more people in queue before me. 

Sorry to hear people have to work overtime. But it happens during big launches. 

FightingWolf ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2011 at 2:26 AM

Quote - I use DAZ Studio 99.99% of the time. I've worked with Poser since version 1.5 and gave up on it after DS3 Advanced was released. I keep a current Poser license only for product development — but never use it for rendering anymore. Now I'm familiarizing myself with DS4 and am excited about its new features. Even on a Mac Pro, Poser still hangs and hesitates and it takes forever to set up a scene. DAZ Studio 3's content management system has made finding assets so much easier and I can whip up and render a scene in no time. Plus, I like the 3Delight render engine better than Firefly.

Poser's lighting works differently than DazStudio lighting system.  I actually switched from DazStudio to Poser because there was more flexibility in Poser, which translates into working harder to get great results, but after learning a few trick with Poser, it's actually much easier now.  I haven't tried DazStudio 4 yet but I do have it.  From what I can tell it's starting to have many of the same features that Poser has which is good.

You are right about the scene being easier to set up and I'm hoping that Poser Pro 2012 has learned some lessons from DazStudio.  I also hope the new Firefly render engine was upgraded to be able to compete with luxrender

klown ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2011 at 8:47 AM

Poser has the ability to render in LuxRender using the Poser Lux render plugin

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/poser

in Daz Studio LuxRender can only be utilized by either the Reality plugin to the DSLuxRender plugin. I know Daz Studio likes to show promos of DS4 renders that were rendered in Lux, and never any mention that these were done in LuxRender even though at this time DS4 does not have the ability to send a render to LuxRender. The workaround is first converting the scene to an .OBJ and then importing the .OBJ back to DS3.

The Reality and DSLuxRender plugins both do not work in DS4 and until the SDK is released rendering out of DS4 Std or Adv is strictly a 3Delight affair and Studio does not have the ability to use full potential of 3Delight.

shadowhawk2zero ( ) posted Tue, 11 October 2011 at 6:51 PM

I have been using Poser since Poser 6 and I have just purchased DS4A in an effort to be able to play with Genesis. I love using Poser Pro 2012 but I see the two programs starting to split over this whole weight mapping thing, and I have heard that V5/M5 will be a morph for the Genesis model so I would like to be able to stay on the cutting edge of models so I will use both and continue to hope that SM and DAZ will find a common ground to make Genesis and future models work equally in both programs.

ksanderson ( ) posted Sat, 22 October 2011 at 1:16 PM

Quote - In installed DS4 (one of the BETAs) and immediately deleted it from my computer. 

I've actually upgraded Poser and am learning it because I won't use DS4.  The Fischer Price interface is for kids and an insult to long time DS users.

The Genesis figure is nothing new.  Make Human has been doing the same thing for a very long time.

DS4 will never be installed on my computer again.

You can customize the interface more to your liking. Genesis can be a great foundation for many different characters as they've already proven with Anubis and the early Genesis characters. The new V5 is looking very good and the bending is wonderful. But to each their own.

ksanderson ( ) posted Sat, 22 October 2011 at 4:49 PM

Here's a YouTube video explaining some customizing of DAZ Studio's interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUKSB0iL2k0

fixme ( ) posted Sun, 23 October 2011 at 7:38 AM

I use them both Dazstudio Pro & Poser Pro 2012,

my personal opinion. Dazstudio 's the future...

with a few more pro improvements for animation and dynamics it would be some awesome character creation studio.

the only question is, what will daz developers do with good advice from the community?

still no manuals.

my comment about poser, been there done that. :( I really hope Smith Micro did more changes to the software, to bad it's not.  (weightmapping isn't new technology at all it's 3d standard in all pro software.

playing with poser from version 3 till 2012 and I still don't like it much.

the problem with both programs are, the lack of scene setup or simply animating nice, easy and smooth.

you can do things 1000 times faster and better in real pro software like max, maya, xsi...

we need more time saving features in hobby market software!

Your Dazstudio improvement future request channel...

Feel free to join & sign the requests here Dazstudio request channel

only with a lot of people, we can make progress to DAZ3D Dazstudio Software.

kerrieanne ( ) posted Mon, 24 October 2011 at 7:52 AM

i used poser 4 or 5 way back in 2005 but moved to Daz in 2008 and i do prefer Daz but hate that i cant use poser dynamic clothing (dont have poser any more) and i've heard i'd need it if i want to import the clothing.

overall Daz seems cheaper (free adition and discounts help) and just if not more user friendly (although i miss poser lights too)

atm I use DS 3A which i got free with a magazine called DigitalArts (October issue) :) (makes DS4A about 70$ with Platimium discount)

agape ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2011 at 3:14 AM · edited Mon, 28 November 2011 at 3:15 AM

I started using Poser 4 in 2001.  I wanted to animate and ran into so many frustrating problems that I gave up.  Lighting was another concept I just couldn't seem to grasp.  I moved through Poser 5, 6 and 7.  Even using some of dna's wonderful lighting and rendering tools, I still couldn't get a decent image.  In 2009, at the urging of some friends who had made the switch, I agreed to try DS3 for a month.  I found it easy to learn and to move through and found myself doing things I could never do in Poser.  That same month, Animate came out and I was able to move characters in ways I never could before.  Fully convinced, I made the complete move to DS3A using Poser 7 as a plugin when needed.  I recently complete my first animated short.  Also, with Dreamlight's guidance and wonderful lighting tools like the Uber lighting system, I am able to get the lighting right!

SilverDolphin ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2011 at 10:30 PM

Both are good I use DS3A and PoserPro2012, don't use DS4Pro yet because I'm waiting for bug fixes. I use both because Studio is easier to move about in, but I use Poser when animating or using dynamics.

goldie ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2011 at 1:33 AM

Poser user 100%.  Gave DS3A a try and it just did not measure up to Poser at all and from what I hear DS4 is nothing to write home about.  Genesis looks interesting, but I am not into making my figures into pretzels, so this bending thing is just overdone AFAIAC. 

SteveJax ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2011 at 4:36 PM

Wow! A thread with this title would have been locked in the Poser forum or DAZ Commons well before page 2! I use the latest Poser and only use DS 3 for importing Poser content into Bryce.

kyoto_kid ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2011 at 10:55 PM

...jumping over the fence so to say to Poser Pro 2010.

Started with Daz Studio (1.5) and was a longtime Daz user.  However, ver Studio4 will not work on my old system due to "tougher" GPU requirments, so for me, the advantages of Genesis and weight mapping are moot.  As Studio3Advanced is no longer supported, the application's ongoing issues with memory management will never be resolved.

On the other hand, Pro 2010 seems to be "kinder" to my old 32 bit notebook while offering a several features that Daz Studio doesn't (including cloth/hair dynamics and more advanced materials editing).  Rendering in background mode with the Queue Manager is a real lifesaver as it reduces the load on my system's meager resources even with raytracing and AO.

Working with the lighting system is a bit of a new learning curve as I am so used to the ability of being able to "look through" a light in Daz Studio as if it were a camera (something very helpful with an integrated graphics chipset that is severely limited in how many lights it can display).

...forsaken daughter is watching you.

[Intel Xeon 5660 Hyperthreading 6 core CPU, 24GB GSkill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 Tri Channel RAM, Nvidia Titan-X GPU with 12GB GDDR5 & 3072 cores, 1 x AData 240 GB SSD (boot) + 1 x 2TB HDD, EGVA 850 G5 PSU Antec P-193 with more fans than Justin Bieber.]

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.