Sun, Oct 6, 10:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: WIP: Asian Girl Head

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 11:29 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:19 AM

file_477844.jpg

Among the million or so other things I am doing (can never work on one project through to completion, I guess I have ADD or something), is this Asian girl I have been working on. I finally got it to a somewhat viewable state, so here she is.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 11:30 PM

file_477845.jpg

Another view...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 11:30 PM

file_477846.jpg

And the front view...

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 11:33 PM

file_477847.jpg

The wireframe...

This was started in Wings and then taken to Sculptris, then back in Wings for tweaking. I imported it into Poser 9 so I could see how it is going to render. I still have to UV map it, then start work on the body. This head is still 1000 times too large yet.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 11:33 PM

I think the eyes are too small, and I still have a lot of sculpting to do.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 12:16 AM

Now that is awesome :)

Laurie

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 1:09 AM

It’s good start. I have some critiques though...

There's a strange indentation in the jaw line, by the ear, that doesn't look quite right. Also, there's a surprising amount of slope in the side view from the chin to where the neck is joined. Fat people and older folks have that. It doesn't seem to match the rest of the head.

The mesh should be “retopologized” to a less dense, quad-based approach if you intend to build a figure.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 3:44 AM

Outer edge of eyes do not need to be so high up on the face. Lower lip need not be so pouty nor dangling downwards so much.  Upper teeth of many East Asian people can be large and protruding, so some provision for overhang of upper lip over protruding teeth, might be useful.  

Eternal Hobbyist

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 7:03 AM

I don't think the eyes need to be enlarged.  There's a recent and annoying trend to make "realistic" faces with overlarge eyes.  They look about right to me, given the human eyeball is around 25mm dia and the human head is approx 5 inches wide.

Definitely needs to lose the tris, though. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Blackhearted ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 1:38 PM · edited Fri, 27 January 2012 at 1:39 PM

yeah looks like while sculpting you changed the mesh with delaunay triangulation - which works great in the cloth room but is extremely inefficient in terms of figure topology.

theres a setting in Sculptris that turns off the delaunay triangulation, but i havent fired up Sculptris in ages so i couldnt tell you off the top of my head what it is. surely someone else will...

unfortunately you may have to go back to an early save, or redo most/all of your work since retopoing that is going to make a mess of the mesh.

otherwise great work, looks good - although i agree the eyes could be toned down a bit.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 3:11 PM

I REALLY became aware of that when I was working on my Megan Fox morphs. For real proportion-the eyes were much smaller than V4 stock.

Quote - I don't think the eyes need to be enlarged.  There's a recent and annoying trend to make "realistic" faces with overlarge eyes.  They look about right to me, given the human eyeball is around 25mm dia and the human head is approx 5 inches wide.

Definitely needs to lose the tris, though. 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 4:43 PM

Quote - yeah looks like while sculpting you changed the mesh with delaunay triangulation - which works great in the cloth room but is extremely inefficient in terms of figure topology.

theres a setting in Sculptris that turns off the delaunay triangulation, but i havent fired up Sculptris in ages so i couldnt tell you off the top of my head what it is. surely someone else will...

unfortunately you may have to go back to an early save, or redo most/all of your work since retopoing that is going to make a mess of the mesh.

otherwise great work, looks good - although i agree the eyes could be toned down a bit.

I noticed that if you turn the detail slider up, it adds tris to the mesh, and if you smooth it, which I did to make the head more round and less boxy, it does it by adding tris. I will look at my settings and see if I can figure out how to turn it off.

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 11:48 PM

Automatic retopology isn't useful for figures. For figures, you can create a manual retopology, provided that you have the software for it.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Blackhearted ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 11:58 PM

^im aware of that, its still a lot of work regardless of which 'shortcut' tool you use.

"I noticed that if you turn the detail slider up, it adds tris to the mesh, and if you smooth it, which I did to make the head more round and less boxy, it does it by adding tris. I will look at my settings and see if I can figure out how to turn it off."

delaunay triangulation yields great results for dynamic cloth but is very ill-suited for a figure mesh.  on some of those denser areas where more detail was 'morphed' - it looks like there are thousands of triangles.

i havent used sculptris forever and its not installed now or id just check for you, but there is some simple toggle setting on the brush that sets it to either triangulate the mesh or just displace the existing polys.

silo has the topo brush, soft selection, subd and displacement painting - its actually quite good at doing what youre trying to do and will give you full control of the mesh. you may want to consider it. 

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quote - ^im aware of that, its still a lot of work regardless of which 'shortcut' tool you use.

I am willling to put the work in, regardless. Thanks for all the help!

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 4:54 PM

If you use Blender you can snap to the model while rebuilding the mesh. At least then you can keep to the contours ;). As if you were doing retopology, yanno :).

Laurie

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 6:37 PM · edited Sat, 28 January 2012 at 6:38 PM

I have Blender, but I am not used to it yet. I don't have enough experience with it to do any effective modelling... yet. It's on my million item list of things to do. I will probably start devoting time to Blender in the near future, since the majority of what I am trying to accomplish can be done there much better...

Is there a program that can do retopology fairly easy?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 8:03 PM · edited Sat, 28 January 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quote - Is there a program that can do retopology fairly easy?

Well, there's 3D Coat, but es muy expensive ;). Blender is free. BlenderCookie has a very good tutorial on how it's done :).

Laurie

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 9:17 PM

Ah cool, I am going to look into that. I have Blender, and a link to BlenderCookie!

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 9:50 PM

Asian?  Yeah, I guess so.

Female?  TBD.

Looks nice enough though at first glace I thought it was a boy.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 9:58 PM

file_477992.png

> Quote - Asian?  Yeah, I guess so. > > Female?  TBD. > >   > > Looks nice enough though at first glace I thought it was a boy.

I am still learning, and improving as I go...

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 10:32 PM · edited Sat, 28 January 2012 at 10:33 PM

It's hard to tell with no hair, no eyelashes and no eyebrows....lol. Could easily be a woman. Or a boy at this point. The differences between the two are really subtle anyway ;). I still think it's really, really good for someone who hasn't been modeling all that long.

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 10:32 PM

You do realize the thread title could be construed as a fantasy many men have held dear to their hearts for years?  :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 11:58 PM

Quote - You do realize the thread title could be construed as a fantasy many men have held dear to their hearts for years?  :)

LMFAO!!!! I didn't even think about that when I titled it.... :blink:

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 12:00 AM

Quote - It's hard to tell with no hair, no eyelashes and no eyebrows....lol. Could easily be a woman. Or a boy at this point. The differences between the two are really subtle anyway ;). I still think it's really, really good for someone who hasn't been modeling all that long.

Laurie

Thank you for that! Just the shot in the ego I needed.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 7:29 AM

What ethnic background is this Asian supposed to be?  Different regions do have unique features; eyes slanting up or down, varying facial bone structures, height, width and depth of face, etc.  You can inadvertantly call it japanese though it looks completely Northern Chinese or Vietnamese.  Even minor regions will have variations from the general population. 

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:42 AM

The friend I am modelling her after is Cambodian. I am still working on the eyes, since they don't really look like hers at all. Her face is wide at the cheek bones and almost flat in front. About the only thing I have that is spot on with her face right now is the nose.

I have to have her sit down and let me take some more pictures of her, so that I can get a better 360 degree view of her to work with. Right now all I have is frontal and left side.

I know I have a long way to go to get this one done correctly. I was just happy that I was able to get it this far.

Plutom ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 12:00 PM

You face looks really good.  As for stopping adding tris, slide the slider all the way to the left (you probably know that already though).

For converting tris to quads, do a Google search "Converting tris to quads", there are quite a few sites for that.  Jan

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 12:44 PM

Thanks, Jan. I think I may have to start from the beginning...

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 2:59 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 3:00 PM

I guess it's time to remind you "Save and save often. And save multiple versions" LOL. If necessary you can always go back to an earlier version. Better than going back to zero ;).

:P

Laurie

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:11 PM

Actually, I have 4 versions of this head.... so I am only going to go back to the first  version, and save it as version 2 as I go. I am not really starting from scratch, just starting over.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.