Sun, Oct 6, 10:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Making metal

Keith ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 11:51 AM

Good. I was scrambling around online to see when I missed news of a new SR.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 11:58 AM

Are there any publicly available info about SR2?

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:17 PM

No and I said too much already. We are under NDA.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:11 PM

This is not the SR2 you are looking for.

Waves Hand

Move along.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Tiny ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 4:13 AM

Good looking shaders Snarlygribbly. And thanks for sharing. 
I was in a desperate need for a chrome (ish) shader and will use these for my testing. 

BB, your shaders looks fab as always. Can't wait to get my hands on those. :)

Waves to Gareee! Long time no see/hear. :)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 5:49 AM

Now we can address Poser's sad lack of a great Low Rider.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 8:40 AM

Hey, Tiny! You really want to look into zbruush fibermesh if you own it. It made me think of you.

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 10:33 AM

These are for Poser? Truly great looking! When and where might they be available? These will definitely be worth having -

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

My cousin Jack can speak to beans. That's right.... Jack and the beans talk

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 11:06 AM

Quote - These are for Poser? Truly great looking! When and where might they be available? These will definitely be worth having -

Which ones are you referring to?

The ones by Bagginsbill will work with most (all?) versions of Poser but are not yet available. I understand their availability is imminent though, and I suspect they are going to be very popular.

My own metal shaders (those shown at the beginning of the thread) are only for Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012, but are free to download from:

http://snarlygribbly.org/misc/em/EZMetals.zip

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 11:12 AM

Sg, while you are online, is there any way to scale the procedural mapping to fit smaller UV mapped objects.  I wanted to apply rusty procedurals to chains but the mapping was too large.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quote - Sg, while you are online, is there any way to scale the procedural mapping to fit smaller UV mapped objects.  I wanted to apply rusty procedurals to chains but the mapping was too large.

Try reducing the Scale parameter in the 'Rust Pattern' node? It's the node at the very bottom of the middle column.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 11:13 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Thu, 16 February 2012 at 9:31 PM

Snarlygribbly, any chance yours will work in Poser 6? I haven't upgraded for a while, and money-wise, I'm not likely to any time soon.

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 2:35 AM

Quote - Snarlygribbly, any chance yours will work in Poser 6? I haven't upgraded for a while, and money-wise, I'm not likely to any time soon.

No, it uses nodes only available in P9+

I understand BB's will support legacy versions of Poser though.

Hm. Maybe I can make some small changes to produce a P6 version? I'll see!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 7:02 AM · edited Fri, 17 February 2012 at 7:04 AM

SG - remember it's time for you to use matmatic?

Matmatic will give you the true Fresnel functions that work all the way back to P5.

Here is a totally credible chrome with built-in automatic GC and adjustable IOR.

The IOR of 11.2 produces 70% reflection at normal incidence - about average for chrome. The very best most expensive chrome is 85% - but almost never keeps that - some (tiny) level of oxidation always sets in.

ior= PM(11.2, "IOR") # parameterized index of refraction

rv = TrueFresnel(ior) # the Fresnel equation

reflect = AGC(Reflect()) # the reflection node (anti-gamma applied since this is incoming material)

output = rv * reflect # the correctly modulated reflection

View(GC(output)) # the finished surface

That was the long version, for you to learn from. Here's the short version.

View(GC(TrueFresnel(PM(11.2, "IOR")) * AGC(Reflect())))

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 8:20 AM

Sometimes I think BB knows a different language that I've never learned. ;)

fonpaolo ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 8:45 AM

Quote - Sometimes I think BB knows a different language that I've never learned. ;)

...yes he talks at 256 bit! ...instead we all almost at 32! lol

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 9:08 AM

Heck, I'm still babbling in my old Atari 800 8 bit language!

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 11:24 AM

You're all talking about a mile over my head!

Thanks, SG - but don't go out of your way.... that's way too much work. I'll check out Bagginsbill's when they come out.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 11:55 AM

I must say that after two BB's post, my brain starts to overheat and smoke despite I use math almost every day... lol

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 12:34 PM

You just need to use 16 oz of a alcohol coolant mix afterwards.

I find rum and coke does the trick quite nicely, and my perceived render quality also improves.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 1:08 PM

Quote - SG - remember it's time for you to use matmatic?

Hi BB.

I've been playing with matmatic quite a bit. I'm very impressed with it: simple to use and remarkably economical in terms of the amount of code needed. I know people have made some jokes about it (in good humour, I should add) but for me the code is elegant and simple. I like it.

I will certainly be using it for future adventures in shader construction.

However, with all the other projects I have on the go at the moment I haven't the time or the inclination to use it to revisit projects which, for me, are finished. It's a tool for future projects.

Also, especially in respect of the EZMetal shader, I don't want to step on your toes. I know your metal shaders will easily surpass mine in flexibility and accuracy, but nevertheless the EZMetal shader would probably be 'good enough' for many people and therefore cut down on your market potential, and I don't want to do that. I'll be one of the first to snap up your shaders when they're released :-)

Thank you for matmatic. As soon as I've got some other projects finished I'll be having a serious look at it, but first impressions are pretty good!

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 7:49 AM

Quote - Hey, Tiny! You really want to look into zbruush fibermesh if you own it. It made me think of you.

Don't own it and have no clue what it is. I did see Mec4D's testings which I think was that. Will have a look. 

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 7:51 AM

Yeah thats what shes using... fibermesh can be made for anything from hair to plant leaves or grass. Once the olys are generated, you can apply a transmap or color map, and even output morphs to add additional styles.

Its dang impressive!

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 8:10 AM

Sure is! I've watched a few youtube vids now and it looks like lots of fun. Am very jelous of the easy styling. It takes weeks for me to get the styling right in Poser hair room. :(

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 8:38 AM

Yeah you can style fibermesh in minutes. I've always had a love/hate thing with zbrush. I love the features, but learning it is a royal bitch.

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 8:59 AM

Agree 100%. I've given it a try now and then through the years but never liked it.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 9:05 AM

Since what Mec4D is doing is not stated to be for us Poser users (unless you install DS4 and run the exporter), is there a possibility that some talented Zbrush user can do this "magic" for us?

I'm sorry for all those who create hair in the "old manner", but that way is much better!!!

P.S. please, this is not intended for to start another war.

Sorry for being OT.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 9:06 AM

Once it clicks though, its REALLY GOOD. I'm been forcing myself to stick with it since Jan, and am getting better with it daily.

The problems with learning it are that there is SO much info out there, in a few different places, and that there is also a lot of OLD out of date info out there as well, and some of it is no longer relavant.

I'm thinking its well worth the ride though.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 9:27 AM

Fon, Cath's hair it should work just fine in poser. Shes still learning the creation process (like the rest of us) but I've done some tests here, and it does work fine.

One issue I;'m concerned with is the high polycounts that she is experimenting with. (Some hair is at 600,000 polys!) Granted, today's systems are more robust to handle things like that, but its impractical to have morphs built in for something that size.)

IMHO it would be better to just load that specific stlye you want.

Shes doing it for genesis first, because it auto generates "follow" morphs for different morphed shapes. You could easily do that for V4 as well, but for anything other than scaling I think the morphs might be somewhat problematic for developement.

Most people use the default head shapes anyway, so for that it would be a non issue.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 10:35 AM

Sorry Gareee, but perhaps you haven't read the part between the parentheses, as I don't have DS4 installed and I don't want to, so, for the moment it's useless for me.

I asked her for a Poser installer, but for now it's only in DS format and don't know in future.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 11:57 AM

Why would you need a poser installer, since genesis is ds4 only? Without poser genesis, isn't hair for it kind of worthless?

The point you missed though is that the type of hair developement she is doing works perfectly fine in poser.

fonpaolo ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 1:56 PM

Yes, I know the hair will work in Poser and...

No, since there will be a V4, M4 and K4 fit morph, it will work on previous models too.

So, not only for Genesis... ;)

And... with a little tweaking, this hair can be fitted to any figure, this is what I do mostly, no matter what kind of figures they're made for.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.