Mon, Oct 7, 6:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Morphing Props

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2012 at 5:34 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 6:28 AM

file_481223.jpg

I have gone back a little bit into procedural modeling.

I don't see a lot of morphing props - things I think should exist, just like morphing humans.

As a proof of concept, I built a morphing table. As an example of what is possible, all of these objects are the same prop.

Do you think this is useful? Got any more ideas for what it should do?

I have the following morphs in it:

Table Length

Table Width

Table Height

Table Thickness

Table Radius

Edge Radius

Leg Radius

Leg Setback

Leg Size

Leg Taper

Leg Box Height

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2012 at 5:57 PM

Frisbee, if the top rotates, maybe a drafting table or treasure chest. But seriously having a prop that the legs change size without distorting the rest of the figure could be handy.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2012 at 6:03 PM

bagginsbill, that would be extremely usefull and space saving for my poor overloaded

harddrive. Would also enjoy seeing other furniture and lamps with shades done.

Thank you for your input.

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2012 at 6:19 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2012 at 6:27 PM

Quote - Do you think this is useful?

For a low poly table, yes, definitely. However there is a balance to be struck between the convenience of a prop that morphs into various shapes and the extra RAM, that is presumably needed to store the deltas. With 12 separate props, loading any individual prop will probably us a lot less RAM, than loading a prop with 12 morphs, and would only use slightly more HDD space. It would depend on the prop, for a reasonably low poly prop it would not matter that much. Saved space in the library palette, and the time needed to load the library are a counter ballencing factors.

I have often wondered about the relationship between altGeom swapping and RAM, and whether this is better than morphs. I suspect that altGeom is not loaded into memory until it is actually dialed in, but once dialed in, I don't know if it is swapped out when the dial changes.

Quote - Got any more ideas for what it should do?

A wall with holes for a door and windows. The morphs would move the door and window holes around. Also a morphing door and window to go in the holes in the wall. If you wanted to get really posh, the door and window could probably have ERC so that they automatically adjusted to the position of the holes in the wall.

Or a morphing table/floor/wall lamp.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2012 at 6:21 PM

Very useful and it looks good, too.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quote - Got any more ideas for what it should do?

Sorry, I must be half asleep. In my last post, I thought you were calling for ideas for other props. But now realize you were asking for more ideas for the table.

I have drunk in beer gardens where the table had a hole to take the shaft of a sun shade.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 3:11 AM

This sort of may be ;)

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

shuy ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 3:12 AM · edited Wed, 09 May 2012 at 3:18 AM

Very nice and very useful.

Anyway some disadvantage can be scene with props table_1 to table_14 - try to pose them ;)

I think this one is quite popular.

exapmle1

and this can be chalenge ;)

example2

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 3:15 AM

node ? These are props not shaders :biggrin:

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 6:58 AM
Online Now!

Those look really nice , Ted. 🆒

When this is finished, I'd really love to see your procedural architecture go forward...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 7:08 AM

Cool :-)

Am I right in thinking there's a morphing glass or bottle (or both) prop around somewhere too?

In term of the table / stool, would it be feasible to introduce a chair-back morph? Or a chair-arms morph?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 8:08 AM

Morphing props are cool (excuse the plug!)

Texture stretching can be a limitation, though. I often export the morphed prop once I've decided its shape and re-map it. If you could find a way to morph U and V simultaneously with X, Y and Z that'd be great. ;)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 8:30 AM

Quote - Am I right in thinking there's a morphing glass or bottle (or both) prop around somewhere too?

I'm sure you're right, but darned if I can find them right now.

Somewhere in my perpetual WIP folder I have a mattress with morphs to roughly mould it to anything you care to place on top. I must find the time and inclination to finish that. 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 9:03 AM

Quote -
For a low poly table, yes, definitely. However there is a balance to be struck between the convenience of a prop that morphs into various shapes and the extra RAM, that is presumably needed to store the deltas.

If I had to fill a restaurant with these, and I had space issues, I'd just do a quick export/import - this reduces the prop to a frozen minimal representation of whatever you morphed it into.

The exp/imp round trip also fixes XYZ coordinate stretch problems that can mess up a procedural shader.

I don't have a good solution to the UV stretch problem and it is certainly the case that if you're using a UV-based shader, going too far in shape changes will harm it.

Which is why I tend to use 100% procedurals.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 9:06 AM

file_481227.jpg

This is the table I wanted in the first place - why I started making the morphing table.

I am getting the BBMetal package ready for market and needed a justification to show the stainless steel. Most of the props I downloaded that could conceivably be made of stainless steel looked like strange Poser crap. (Or odd-looking Euro appliances.)

I am constantly surprised at how many vendors and freebie makers have no eye for proportion.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 9:12 AM · edited Wed, 09 May 2012 at 9:13 AM

I published a wine glass here.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2798686&page=2

Skip the first two - I updated it - get WIP #3.

I can't remember if I published the morphing version or a fixed glass.

I do have many morphs - hope to put this in the market.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote - I don't have a good solution to the UV stretch problem and it is certainly the case that if you're using a UV-based shader, going too far in shape changes will harm it. Which is why I tend to use 100% procedurals.

I know. I was just teasing. :P But seriously:

Quote - [...] XYZ coordinate stretch problems that can mess up a procedural shader.

This has probably been covered elsewhere - I seem to remember a discussion somewhere of which nodes used UV coordinates and which didn't - but I wouldn't mind having my memory refreshed. Starting with: what are these XYZ coordinate stretch problems, and how do they mess up procedural shaders?

Quote - I can't remember if I published the morphing version or a fixed glass.

BBWineGlassWIP3 is fixed - no morphs, but a fine vintage all the same.

Since you mentioned procedural geometry earlier on, I was wondering if this might lead to a way to make an effective "drink" morph for a complex shaped glass, i.e. one without parallel sides. There are mathematical methods available to slave linear morphs together, and if these could somehow be matched up to the shape of the vessel things could get quite interesting. Forgive the flight of fancy.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 10:25 AM

file_481228.jpg

All the nodes in the "3D Textures" section are ... 3D - XYZ. They are using the un-morphed model-space vertex coordinates to drive the texture. Examples: fractal_sum, noise, cellular, spots.

All the nodes in the "2D Textures" section are ... 2D - UV. They are using morphed UV coordinates. As we well know from figures and their skins, this works ok on a modest change in shape, but fails miserably on things like bent shoulders. Examples: image_map, brick, tile.

Some of the 3D nodes have an option to use global coordinates, instead of model space. The will take morphs, translations, rotations, and scaling into account. The result is often good enough, but not when you want multiple props next to each other. Then it is apparent that they are all carved from a single texture space, instead of each having their own.

By doing an export and import, we re-issue the model with a new model space, and the problem goes away.

Here is a demonstration.

First table is the un-morphed standard object. The table top has a Clouds node on it.

The second has been severely morphed, and the texture goes berzerk as a result. (I don't make things any better by having a huge n-gon on the top there.)

After export/import of the morphed (2nd) table, the 3rd copy has the natural and same clouds texture as the original unmorphed table.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quote - I am constantly surprised at how many vendors and freebie makers have no eye for proportion.

:lol: 

Me and you both, buddy. 

My Store

My Gallery

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think these morphing props have considerable value, especially for Poser users who don't model (which is the great majority).  Such props allow a user to dial in the shape they want, within the limits of the morph repertoire.  This would be a great help when one can't find quite the right item.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 10:35 AM · edited Wed, 09 May 2012 at 10:36 AM

All the nodes in the "3D Textures" section are ... 3D - XYZ. They are using the un-morphed model-space vertex coordinates to drive the texture.

(My italics) Got it, thanks! 

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 8:52 PM

"I am getting the BBMetal package ready for market and needed a justification to show the stainless steel. "

Yeppy! How soon?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:01 AM

file_481500.jpg

I don't know exactly. I have a project near completion with Tom I gotta do first, and I have work travel this week.

Meanwhile, I finally figured out a good UV mapping for taking flat-photo textures and wrapping around the ends, sides, and corners of the table so it looks good.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:03 AM

file_481502.jpg

Closeup

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:08 AM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:08 AM

file_481505.jpg

I'm really enjoying working with wood textures. Tom and I have a product set almost finished that includes dozens and dozens of wood shader/textures. They are offered as material collections for easy use on our props, but also as single materials so you can use them elsewhere. They're really beautiful.

Here's one of them on the morphing table. It looks great even though they were not designed for each other on purpose.

I think Tom and I are raising the bar on UV mapping props for Poser, with the plan to make shaders work all over the place with no effort.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:14 AM

file_481506.jpg

This texture is so cool. In the shader, I used black lines of the color map to make cutouts in the table.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:24 AM

Lovely wood!

Much anticipating the release of BBMetals...

But really looking forward to seeing what's next from the Bagginsbill and Dreamland collaboration too... it sounds awesome.

The material singles included with both the Chevy and the Car Patio are really useful.

Cheers ;-)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:27 AM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:27 AM

file_481508.jpg

Morphing the table does cause some texture stretching but it's very tolerable. (See attached pic)

But I think I'll make a script that will procedurally reassign UVs after you morph it so there will be no stretch.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:37 AM

file_481509.jpg

> Quote - Lovely wood! > > Much anticipating the release of BBMetals... > > But really looking forward to seeing what's next from the Bagginsbill and Dreamland collaboration too... it sounds awesome. > > The material singles included with both the Chevy and the Car Patio are really useful. > > Cheers ;-)

Thanks. I saw your recent renders using stuff from both.  Very cool.

Here's a sneak peak of what we're working on.

This is the first in a series of related props. Each will have new materials that work on all the pieces, and I hope many people will want them in their library.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:39 AM

Your wood make me crazy :woot:

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quote - Your wood make me crazy :woot:

Thanks - I am really glad to hear it, because I've been working on it hundreds of hours. I was hoping it was worth it.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 11:55 AM

Yup, that IS awesome :-)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 12:20 PM

I've been having a lot of fun playing with both the Dreamland / BB products so far, and the shaders in them... so really looking forward to the next set.

That last render I posted in my gallery, I spent some time transferring the nodes from the wet park bench shader over the top of the colour maps for the Tardis prop... the prop is fairly background, so the benefit is fairly subtle, especially in the smaller version I posted (I rendered at 4000px wide) but I thought this venture went pretty well... looks a lot better than when it just had its default colour maps ;-)

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 12:26 PM

I've been stealing shaders out of that pack too. The wet wood bench came in handy for an old boat. :)

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 12:36 PM

You asked why vendors or freebie makers do not use your material.

I tried your matmatic floors which were perfect with my scene "retro bedroom". Anyway I think that it is not fair to take money for somebodys freebie. Moreover it looks much better then materials used on rest of my props :) I did not want create pretty floor with ugly walls and furnitures.

When you release your props with materials, it would be hard to create any furniture props which look good.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 12:45 PM
Site Admin

Being someone who does furniture refinishing my first thought was wow that wood lookes great. My second thought was, there's no end grain. And my third thought was, end grain would probably not be doable besides it still looks great.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 12:58 PM

Quote - You asked why vendors or freebie makers do not use your material.

I tried your matmatic floors which were perfect with my scene "retro bedroom". Anyway I think that it is not fair to take money for somebodys freebie. Moreover it looks much better then materials used on rest of my props :) I did not want create pretty floor with ugly walls and furnitures.

When you release your props with materials, it would be hard to create any furniture props which look good.

Many vendors prefer exotic shaders who render very very fast, they dont look for realism ;)

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 1:52 PM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 1:56 PM

Now that's what I call wood! Birch, Maple, Mahogany, Palisander... Awesome!. I'll be the first to buy your shaders.

Excellent work Ted!

Best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 2:09 PM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 2:14 PM

My second thought was, there's no end grain. And my third thought was, end grain would probably not be doable besides it still looks great.

Endgrain is something you try to avoid anyway when making furniture. What I would like is some burl veneer, but I assume that's a piece of cake and you have included that already.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 3:45 PM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 3:46 PM

file_481519.jpg

Here's a burl - it is not planned to release in the first product though. When this does come it will work on the first product.

We have several thousand texture/shader combinations to choose from. We haven't even begun to sort out what to release beyond the first two products. But we're trying to make sure that every prop comes with new materials, and each set of materials works on every prop.

If you're the kind of person to "collect" things, you're going to go nuts.

Speaking of fast renders - this was 30 seconds.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 3:48 PM

file_481521.jpg

Same wood burl texture, but a different procedural stain.

I think I have perfected the math of "staining" wood textures. Everything I try comes out beautiful.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 3:51 PM

file_481524.jpg

I don't even know how to choose anymore. There are just too many beautiful combinations.

Of course, the stain is a parameter so you don't have to stick with my presets. You can make an infinite number of variations yourself, too.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 4:00 PM

Quote - If you're the kind of person to "collect" things, you're going to go nuts.

He he. Not sure I was the type of person to collect things before... well, I guess things that are useful or fun to have, I suppose I do... I guess, as an eclectic bricoleur, I'm a collector of tools...

...but anyway I can see myself becoming a collector of these ;-)

Those burl veneers look amazing!

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 4:06 PM

Quote - Speaking of fast renders - this was 30 seconds.

With empty scene ;)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 4:08 PM

file_481525.jpg

Man I love Python and I'm so happy Poser has it built in. I need a light-box image for the store that showcases all the wood finishes. In the past I was tediously arranging props, and manually applying materials, or I was just doing a screen shot of the Poser library thumbnail list.

But I did this with my procedural table top, arranging 35 props and loading 35 materials at the push of a button.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 4:11 PM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 4:13 PM

Quote - > Quote - Speaking of fast renders - this was 30 seconds.

With empty scene ;)

I decided long ago that is my "style" hahahah. One prop + one environment sphere + one light  = art.

Actually, this image:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2296383&user_id=374541

is one prop + environment sphere + zero lights = art.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 4:19 PM

You make me very happy! This looks fabulous! I hope you will release it soon.

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 5:10 PM

Quote - is one prop + environment sphere + zero lights = art.

I think that this is more complicated. There is no art formula (better explained by Robin Williams in "Dead Poet Society")

Are you going to create any shader with splinters or another imperfections?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 5:30 PM · edited Sun, 20 May 2012 at 5:31 PM

These all look bloody amazing.  Whatever I make for sale, I'll be pointing people in the direction of your store.

Hmmm, a polished wooden Dalek.  Could work. 

The burl procedural would be perfect for a top of the range Les Paul. 

My Store

My Gallery

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 6:02 PM

Or a maple shader on a Fender precision bass 😄

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2012 at 6:17 PM

Quote - Or a maple shader on a Fender precision bass 😄

They tend to avoid burl for necks, since it can be fragile.  And it wouldn't usually be used as a body wood, because it's too heavy.  That's why a Les Paul has a maple cap on a mahogany body.  Les Paul himself wanted a solid maple guitar but Gibson talked him out of it.

Then again, a lot of the newer Les Pauls use mahogany that's so damn heavy, they started routing chunks out to keep the weight down.  Gibson calls them "Tone Chambers".  Everyone else calls them holes. :) 

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.