Thu, Jul 25, 5:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 25 3:26 am)

Subject: Riddick eye Mat

mysticeagle ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 10:15 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 2:33 AM

file_481588.jpg

I've been working on some Riddick inspired images for a few days, but i am having a problem with his eyes.....as seen above,I have tried multiple combinations for the cornea in the Mat room ( using Apollo max with the Diesel celeb morph)the eyes should be a misty opaque white with a slight blue reflective glow...Any useful suggestions would be gratefully accepted....

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

cspear ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 10:33 AM

Show us your shader setup for the eyes.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 10:34 AM

I don't know how you'd do this, but here's a big close up pic Mystic, that I found when I Googled to see what you meant...(click to zoom)

Cheers ;-)

mysticeagle ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 10:43 AM · edited Tue, 22 May 2012 at 10:58 AM

ive got that ref image monkeycloud, its the one ive used as my ref image too, tbh, ive been using for the last few runs, bagginsbill matmatic pearl with a .4 ambient setting and a slight blue tinge to the ambient colour. As the shader already uses the reflect node, i wasnt sure whether another sphere node plugged in somewhere might give the reflectivity i'm looking for. Why am I using the matmatic? its the closest shader i can find to the eyes...plus  i can ;)  

the material room is still as alien to me as modelling was a few weeks ago. yes my bad, I know, but when people have been so kind as to provide all the textures and mats you need for figures props etc, it sorta takes a back seat. It's only really recently since i started modelling and having to sort out my own mats/textures  that ive started to delve into the black magic that BB is a master of.

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 10:59 AM · edited Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:00 AM

Thought you might have that one for reference already :-)

I'm still in the pitch black... without Riddick's extra senses when it comes to the mat room tbh!

Something with the 3d clouds node maybe?

Is it maybe the edge_blend node that could be used to distribute the blue to the outer parts?

I've been trying to get patterns of rust more around the edges of a mat zone on something I've been playing with... I'd been going down that route. But not got anywhere that useful with it yet. Probably because that isn't what that node is meant for. LOL ;-)

Anyway, just found this post...

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?69734-Bone-shader-and-glowing-orbs&highlight=edge_blend

Which lead me back to here...

http://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/orbs

Something based on Orb009 ("Pickled") perhaps?

mysticeagle ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:03 AM

good call monkeycloud, the pickled orb might do it, i am an avid hoarder of bb's shaders, most of which i've never used, but i keep em just in case lol.. im running another render atm, but will post the results with the orb shader fyi....

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:20 AM

Cool... hope it works ;-)

mysticeagle ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 12:54 PM

well so far monkeycloud, it's errrr errrrrr look at what you would have won, i've just blown the ref image right up, and im now wondering whether what i need to do, is create two small sphere props and place them into the corneas and then apply the shader to those, i think the cornea as is on the figure texture, is too flat to achieve the same effect as in the image  which actually upon real close examination appear to be almost two pearls set into the eyes........will keep you informed...

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 2:05 PM

Yeah - the geometry difference occured to me after too... BB's orb is... obviously... an orb. Whereas the corneas are usually, I think, modelled as a convex lens?

That skull example from RDNA was, I think just placing the orbs into the skull eye sockets.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 1:40 AM

file_481621.jpg

It's not perfect, but this is what I did.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 1:41 AM

file_481622.jpg

Here is the cornea setup.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:40 AM

Quote - It's not perfect, but this is what I did.

Cool - getting there I think :-)

It needs a bit more random cloudiness perhaps? Just a touch though...

mysticeagle ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 4:53 AM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 4:59 AM

thats looking good, i was up till the wee hours trying other options, in the end the Betty Davis Eyes syndrome struck............doing some more research it appears they used a contact lense called "Shine job", a mirrored contact lense, still available to purchase, so the mirror angle is defintely tthe way ahead i think....who knows there may be a baggins with a solution...a Baggins is never late for a party...or was that wizards?

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 9:12 PM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 9:16 PM

file_481642.jpg

Added a couple of nodes to it, here's the result.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 9:17 PM · edited Wed, 23 May 2012 at 9:20 PM

file_481644.jpg

And the settings.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 3:03 AM

awesome tyvm yngphoenix

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 3:16 AM

Nice work yngphoenix! That looks great :-)

I had a vague notion that edge_blend and clouds might do it... but no idea where or how to plug them in...

;-)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:10 AM

Render from 45 degrees to the side, with the eyes still pointing where they are. What happens then?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

mysticeagle ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:19 AM

yes i get your point BB, the eye is still a pretty flat surface...ive tried the sunken sphere into the eye , didnt work as so much of the surface has to buried into the eye to stop it looking ridiculous that you lose most of the reflection. I'm actually reaching the point horror of horrors where i'm actually starting to think postwork...nooooooooooooo plz...

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:27 AM · edited Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:34 AM

Yeah, okay... looking again, I suspect the clouds node should be blended with the wave node on the diffuse channel... rather than plugged into reflection_channel??

EDIT: Or rather, should everything that's building the colour / texture not be off the diffuse? With the glossiness / reflection then added separately on top?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:28 AM · edited Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:30 AM

My point is the pattern of milky whiteness should be centered on the cornea, not based on viewing angle (Edge Blend) but based on UV coordinates.

It's probably easier to draw the pattern. Then use it to modulate the transparency. Transparency maps don't have to be white/black - they can be shades of gray as well for partial translucence.

I'd also use Scatter here instead of diffuse, if you have P9/PP12.

I have meetings this morning but I may be able to demonstrate later today.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:40 AM · edited Thu, 24 May 2012 at 7:41 AM

So, when you say scatter instead of diffuse here BB...

...would that constitute something like a scatter node plugged into the Diffuse (or maybe Alternate_Diffuse) channel, with whatever is driving the texture / color (whether a painted image map or clouds node etc) then plugged into the Color channel of the scatter node?

If that makes any sense...

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 3:07 PM

I'm working with Poser 8, so I will let those with higher versions of poser continue to help you.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2012 at 9:57 AM

Did you get any further with this one Mystic? e.g. drawing a transparency map per BB's suggestion?

mysticeagle ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 5:10 AM

no monkey, ive been busy working on some freebie clothing items for the last few days and riddick took a back seat. hopefully i'll be back in the saddle with him early next week, and hopefully my necro axe will have some textures by then too :)

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 6:29 AM

Cool - look forward to seeing that axe too. Your freebies to date are very good I think Mystic, I have downloaded all so far :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.