Sun, Oct 6, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Why does Poser crash when cancelling a render?

Darkworld ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:26 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:31 AM

... nearly every time.  I'm using PPro 2012 and was dismayed to find out this problem is still rampant.  Is there any sort of workaround or optimization that will help it stop crashing when you have to cancel a render?

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:30 AM

Doesn't happen to me.  A few things. First: Make sure you're using the latest SR. SR3 just released if you didn't know. Second, you may need to delete your prefs, as they may have become corrupted. I don't know what you're rendering or what else you may have running when you quit the render but on my desktop, Poser doesn't usually crash when I cancel rendering.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:39 AM

What kind of system specs are you running on Darkworld?

I haven't had any kind of problem like this since I upgraded my hardware...

...previously, running on a Core 2 Duo with a mere 4 GB RAM, I had this sort of thing quite a lot.

That was also at least one service pack ago though too... I'm on SR2.1 at present... till I get home tonight at least...

...but anyway, something I've done in last few months has resolved the issue of UI freezes or crashes, e.g. on trying to cancel out of a render, for me... and Poser seems a lot more stable all round...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:40 AM

Yes PP2012 (four versions back) did crash occasionally.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Darkworld ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:47 AM

i have an i7 with 16 GB of RAM and a fairly new vid card, nvidia with 1GB.  my desktop is 2560 x 1600 so im thinking maybe it's because my renders are so big?  the display window is usually 1600 x 1400 or so, but sometimes i render larger and shrink it down later.

This has been happening to me for years; if the scene is fairly simple it doesn't crash, but a huge closeup tends to crash more often than not, it just hangs on "Cancelling"

ill upgrade my SP maybe that will help.

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:52 AM

PP2012 SR3 has not crashed on me for a very long time.
Actually, I can not remember a crash in SR2, SR2.1 or SR3.

Delete your prefs, Poser will build a new set on next startup.

Upgrade/update your video drivers.

Clean your system using something like Advanced Sytem Care free from iobit, and run it a couple of times in deepclean mode.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:52 AM · edited Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:55 AM

Same sorts of specs I've got now then... so that's not it.

My guess is its the lack of latest service pack then...

Unless there's some sort of issue with your video card I guess?

EDIT: crosspost with Vilters... yeah check video card drivers... maybe reinstall those.

Or check if its maybe preferences file corruption like Teyon suggested.

Cheers 😉

PickledPapaya ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:53 AM

Are you using Advanced Figure Manager by any chance?

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yep, part of good housekeeping to close scripts when committing to a render.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:59 AM

Never happens to me. Maybe check "Render to separate process" in our Preferences. That keeps me from crashing (I don't have a lot of ram like you do) but when I had Poser 7 if I didn't use render to separate process I crashed every time when cancelling a render. It's worth a shot ;).

Laurie

Darkworld ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 11:00 AM

Never heard of Advanced Figure Manager where can i get that?  also how do i delete prefs?

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 11:03 AM · edited Tue, 14 August 2012 at 11:05 AM

Oh, since using Render to Separate Process (in every version since) I've NEVER had a problem when cancelling a render. It's a Poser native fix...hehe...and also costs nothing to try it. If it doesn't work then you're still no worse for the wear.

Laurie

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yep, good call from Laurie. That's something else I've switched to doing exclusively a few months back 😉

Darkworld ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 11:30 AM

Well i checked separate process and it canceled almost instantly :)

maybe that's the fix!

Daymond42 ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 11:51 AM

I remember that crash back in Poser 7, but I'd not seen it in Poser Pro 2012, even when not setting the render as a separate process.

My uncle always said that when there's no other explanation for a computer issue....

... it's gremlins.

Currently using Poser Pro 2012 (Display Units = feet)

AMD Phenom II 3.2ghz (6 cores)

8gb RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 12:41 PM

Quote - Yep, good call from Laurie. That's something else I've switched to doing exclusively a few months back 😉

It's happend to me..lol. Knew what it was right off ;). Seen it so many times since.

Glad ya got it fixed Darkworld :).

Laurie

luckybears ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 7:33 PM

Poser pro 2012 crashes, it's its nature. Unistall unless you have 1,000,000 gb ram with  Nikon 10 tb graphics card

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 7:34 PM

Aren't you hilarious.

Laurie

luckybears ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 8:36 PM

I had a computer that used windows 98 with 64 mb ram using a graphics card I can't reacall. I installed Poser 7 and it ran so well I thought I would buy Poser 8, so I did. Sadly Poser 8 did not runs so well as poser 7 when rendering on that machine so I bought a computer that had 2gb ram and a really wonderfull graphics card. It ran Poser 8 so well that I bought I poser pro 2010 and it ran that program so well that I bought poser pro 2012 but pp2012 does not runs so well on that machine so I thought F*** it and went back to poser pro 2010 and now I am a happy bunny again. Hilariarious, isn't it!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:00 PM · edited Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:02 PM

I have a lot less than Darkworld has in his computer and yet Poser Pro 2012 works for me without a hitch. Plus, time marches on. A new version of a program is gonna be built to take advantage of the latest tech.

Since I don't know you and can't see your face for that line you posted previously I can't assume you're being facetious or serious. Looked like a smart-assed comment. Expect a smart-assed comment in return.

Laurie

Darkworld ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:11 PM

Separate process works like a dream.  Curious though-  how many threads do you guys use?  Mine is set to 8

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:29 PM

I think you can set as many as you have cpus or twice that if you have multithreading. After a certain number tho it's actually detrimental. I have mine set to three (I have a quad core AMD, no multithreading).

Laurie

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:37 PM

Hi Mr. Dark,

Dumb question, but how often do you reboot your system? I find that after a 16 hour day of intense modeling, Windows gets a little befuttled. Reboot and many problems go away.

I like to set to six cores if I want to use other things while a render is well, rendering.

Have had Poser 2012 Pro max out all 8 cores and eat 15.8 gigs of ram on a 1920 x 1080 render before.

Seems to help setting it to 6 threads. Don't always remember to do so until it is too late though.

Doh!

Tom

Darkworld ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:41 PM

I don't reboot often, I hate doing it.  Leaks seem pretty minimal and performance is good.  My CPU is 8 cores so I guess the setting is right.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:45 PM

Old repost.

it is totally trivial to make Poser use 100% of the CPU if you aren't using it?
I render full blast and work all day writing and testing software, browsing for info, etc. Poser doesn't slow my machine down at all.
All you gotta do is lower its process priority.What this does is lets Poser have all the cores it wants, except when you use any other program. Then it is briefly interrupted. It's totally seamless and I don't even notice that Poser is hogging my computer.
This can be done with Task Manager, but I found it easier to just create a new short cut that launches Poser with lower priority.
Make a copy of the shortcut you use now, just in case you screw this up. Then open its properties.
In the target, put this:
C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe /c start "runbelownormal" /belownormal "C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 8Poser.exe"
The bold part is what needs to be added. It's simple and very effective. There's no need to run with one less thread than cores either, as so many people suggest.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:46 PM

Note: Quoted from Poser 8 days. You will want to change the path to match your current Poser.

Daymond42 ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 11:11 PM

Quote - Poser pro 2012 crashes, it's its nature. Unistall unless you have 1,000,000 gb ram with  Nikon 10 tb graphics card

Or you need approximately 8gb of RAM on a 6 core AMD Phenom II running at 3.2ghz. Works perfectly fine then!

What's this about the video card? Got a lowly 1gb card running two monitors, and I've got no issues. Only crashes I've had were when my computer was going nutso. But that wasn't Poser related.

Currently using Poser Pro 2012 (Display Units = feet)

AMD Phenom II 3.2ghz (6 cores)

8gb RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 7:25 AM

And I have even less computer than you Day. Pro 2012 has worked fine for me from the day I installed it ;).

Laurie

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 7:37 AM · edited Thu, 16 August 2012 at 7:38 AM

Relative to the cpu priority... is there a similar tip for OS X that others have gotten to work?

Using the unix "nice" command to "renice" the process doesn't seem to do it... unless I'm missing something...

...although actually, I should say, I was trying to use this technique primarily to boost Queue Manager CPU utilisation above 200% (out of the 800% available on my quad core i7) rather than reduce the cpu usage.

No matter what I do, QM seems to hit a glass ceiling at 200%... (i.e. one core / two threads)

Has anyone else found this to be the case on a mac, by any chance??

Oh yeah, I should mention I quite happily get the full 800% utilisation, if I go for it, using the render in background option... so I tend to just use that over local QM.

:huh:

Quote - Old repost.

I render full blast and work all day writing and testing software, browsing for info, etc. Poser doesn't slow my machine down at all.
All you gotta do is lower its process priority.What this does is lets Poser have all the cores it wants, except when you use any other program. Then it is briefly interrupted. It's totally seamless and I don't even notice that Poser is hogging my computer.
This can be done with Task Manager, but I found it easier to just create a new short cut that launches Poser with lower priority.
Make a copy of the shortcut you use now, just in case you screw this up. Then open its properties.
In the target, put this:
C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe /c start "runbelownormal" /belownormal "C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 8Poser.exe"
The bold part is what needs to be added. It's simple and very effective. There's no need to run with one less thread than cores either, as so many people suggest.

Darkworld ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 7:56 AM

Quote - PP2012 SR3 has not crashed on me for a very long time.
Actually, I can not remember a crash in SR2, SR2.1 or SR3.

Delete your prefs, Poser will build a new set on next startup.

Upgrade/update your video drivers.

Clean your system using something like Advanced Sytem Care free from iobit, and run it a couple of times in deepclean mode.

im loving ASC thanks for the tip !

patslash ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 5:52 PM

Quote - Old repost.

In the target, put this:

now this is something really interesting i did not know!

luckybears ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 5:10 PM

Quote - I have a lot less than Darkworld has in his computer and yet Poser Pro 2012 works for me without a hitch. Plus, time marches on. A new version of a program is gonna be built to take advantage of the latest tech.

Since I don't know you and can't see your face for that line you posted previously I can't assume you're being facetious or serious. Looked like a smart-assed comment. Expect a smart-assed comment in return.

Laurie

Thank you Laurie, my comment was born out of frustration with pp2012 and my experience was as described because I love poser. In time, when I eventually do buy a machine with i7 etc I shall try pp2012 again. It it the phenomenon that Darwin describes - evolution pushed behaviour then behaviour demands evoulution proceeds even faster. There is another philosophy though -  the idea of 'Good enough'. I doubt we will ever accept it.

Please know that the SM are my heroes even when I lamblast them.

Lucky

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.