Thu, Sep 19, 9:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Suggestion Box

Welcome to the Suggestion Box Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing

Suggestion Box F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:59 pm)

This forum is designed for suggestions from the community on how you feel we can improve Renderosity.

Subject: Web Site Changes

ariannah ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 11:31 AM

Kimberly, just wanted to say thanks for your reply. It's nice to read that our feedback hasn't fallen on deaf ears & been lost in the void!

But while here, I'll add to the contingent discussing there being too much white and dead space.  It really hurts my eyes.  That much glare is a migraine trigger for me for sure.

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 11:48 AM

Ronoir - Your screen should not look like that. You need to try CTRL + R (Hard refresh)

Ariannah - you may need to do the same.

Your screen should have the white banner and then below a dark blue background.

@ Above - Ahh I see. It was gallery comments not forum. Yes that is a common problem that isn't really connected to the changes.

Adobe_One_Kenobi ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 11:53 AM · edited Mon, 25 February 2013 at 11:54 AM

Kimberley.  My screen dosent look like that, that is a screen capture representation I placed into Photoshop and applied "Gausian" noise too to illustrate how better and softer the white areas would be covered with the texture that is applied to the headers and footers.  My screen is otherwise the same as everyone's.  Better now that the electric blue against the white, which was causing myself and a few other members eye pain.

I really am appreciative of the prompt fix you and IT did virtualy overnight.

Adobe_One_Kenobi ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 12:08 PM

Oops.  Apologies Kimberly.  I have just noticed i used the British spelling for your name.  Sorry for that.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 3:56 PM

Ronoir - ahh ok. I thought you were showing a current screenshot.

Thats ok.. thats pretty small to what I've been called before. :biggrin:

Adobe_One_Kenobi ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 5:02 PM

Aww then those calling you things are NOT ladies or Gentlemen eh?

Terraflora3D ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 1:16 AM

I agree with whaleman - please give us the old Renderosity back!

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 2:28 AM

Quote - I agree with whaleman - please give us the old Renderosity back!

Yes but before the blue background please :)

Art_Sorcery ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 6:09 AM

Yes, I agree with Helanker above!!! (just my two cents!)

DocMikeB ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 7:48 AM · edited Tue, 26 February 2013 at 7:49 AM

What about to use a color scheme like the one used in 2008-2009-2010 ? 

http://web.archive.org/web/20100903062058/http://www.renderosity.com/  

It was eye-friendly, functional and elegant.

People loved it... more than the blue one introduced in 2011.

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 8:46 AM · edited Tue, 26 February 2013 at 8:47 AM

Quote - What about to use a color scheme like the one used in 2008-2009-2010 ? 

http://web.archive.org/web/20100903062058/http://www.renderosity.com/  

It was eye-friendly, functional and elegant.

People loved it... more than the blue one introduced in 2011.

Thats exactly what I meant. That would be nice. Only, the left bar should still stay away. 

And if they would remove all the different double links and other commercial unusable stuff on the top of our gallery, so that we dont have to scroll a whole page down before we can see what actually was the meaning to see, The SHARED stuff,  it would be ever so nice too.  

And if we want to change things in our own options, we only need the link to our own page to use them. Do we really need to change our own options and settings all over the site? I dont think so. But maybe this is to difficult to change, as it has never before been otherwise.

SAS3D ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 5:15 PM

I've had trouble responding to site mail using my iPad as well. Also, the FAQ section is nearly impossible to read due to the color of the text against the background.

Finally, I've realized that the branding header (for vendor store), and Thumbnail Image (for product sale) both changed in dimensions.

It would have been nice to get a heads up since we just happened to be currently working on those two particular images for your site and now have to make changes to them. I'm glad we checked before posting, but a lot of the changes are not very transparent to the vendors.

photosynthesis ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 11:41 AM

file_492070.jpg

Yesterday, I brought home a new, large (27 inch) monitor which I have set at it's max resolution - 1920 x 1080 resolution. The attached image shows what I am greeted with when I go to browse the Photography Gallery, which I do almost every day. A full page of headers & not a single thumbnail until I scroll down! Just for fun, I loaded this screenshot into Photoshop & broke down the percentages for the various vertical components of the page:

15% Web browser header
25% Renderosity header
15% Generic gallery header
10% Marketplace ad banner
35% Photography Gallery header
0% The thumbnail previews I actually want to see

The Photography Gallery header actually had more content that I have to scroll to see. I could reduce the footprint of my web browser header a little, but that still wouldn't get me to the thumbnails. I can only imagine what folks working at a lower resolution would see. I checked some of the other galleries to see if they might have a smaller footprint & the best one I found was the Photoshop Gallery, which had no header at all & on which I could at least see the first row of thumbnails.

This is not what a well-designed web experience is supposed to be like - headers are not supposed to take up more than an entire page & prevent users from seeing any content at all without scrolling. I can suggest a few possible solutions:

Use some of the wasted horizontal space for content

Use more dropdowns

Encourage whoever is responsible for maintaining the various galleries to reduce their header bloat

Make images & text smaller

Eliminate non-essentials!

I am sure others can come up with other suggestions. I offer this as constructive criticism from someone who has been a member for a long time & who really appreciates what the Renderosity community has to offer.

helanker ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 12:36 PM

photosynthesis, that is what I meant in my last post. I am just not so good at explaining it. Thank you :)

Helle

Adobe_One_Kenobi ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 12:38 PM · edited Wed, 27 February 2013 at 12:39 PM

I have noticed an increasing propensity of websites redesigning their pages for the awfully inept little swipey cellphones/tablets.  If we were to weigh up the percentages.  There'd be more laptops/desktop, that all these overpriced and under performing apple i trinkets.   This is why we as computer users are having to scroll and click through more.  Fortunately I have a touch screen PC.  Well worth the swipey trend, as it has better specs than any of the other rubbish.

Fenier ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 2:18 PM

You are correct that currently, Desktops and Laptops outnumber mobile devices for the majority of traffic (varies by site, of course).  However I have personally witnessed a nearly 20% year over year jump on mobile traffic on several sites which I have traffic data for.

That said, while Apple is a huge majority in the U.S.  it's actually the minority world wide.  Android regins with 70~% of the market.  

Because of the concept of technical debt, it actually makes sense to start adjusting sites now prior to the point in time mobile traffic exceeds 50% of total site traffic (which for a lot of sites, is coming up, if not already here).

photosynthesis ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 2:55 PM

Fenier, two points:

1. Though there's no denying that mobile is on the ascendency & works fine for many (maybe most?) types of apps, the idea of people viewing work on art sites like Renderosity on a tiny phone screen seems absurd & so designing the site for that type of device makes no sense. Tablets are a bare minimum & I personally don't use my tablet for Renderosity at all due both to size & quality of image (though certainly I could get a better quality of image by paying more & quality will likely continue to improve). No matter how popular mobile devices become, there is no reason why people would subject themselves to their size limitations in their homes.

2. Rather than abandoning home users for mobile users, doesn't it make more sense for sites to either design for both or offer alternate versions? More upfront work to do that, but a good long term investment.

Don't think it makes sense to have a long debate about this here, I don't think it's the right forum for it, but I did want to at least respond to the idea that you seemed to be proposing that Renderosity sacrifice it's home users at the altar of mobile users.

Adobe_One_Kenobi ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 3:14 PM

I couldn't agree more Claude. I raised the point of these “Gimmicks” to lend weight to your argument about excessive headers, I was merely pointing out the growing, and VERY annoying trend for poseurs and their techno gadgets. None of which I have the time for.

This is not aimed at any indevidual but everyone of this trend that insists we change to meet their demands!

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:22 AM

Claude - that you so much for starting this link and your (and every other) very valueable opinion.

I will right now refer it to Admin for their view and input.

In the meantime I will work on the Photography Banner over which I have a little control. The rest of it I'm sure you know is not under my control.

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

TinaK ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yes Claude thanks so much for the information and I am sending this over to our programmer to take a look.

I will be back in touch (promise) soon.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks Tina - you're the best!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

TinaK ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 1:43 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to update everyone on what I have found out so far.  As for this area they have not had a chance to work on the in's and out's but they promise that it is coming in the near future.  There are several different modules that make up our site and currently they have only worked on the Home page and Marketplace.

If I receive any other updates I will make sure and try to keep everyone in the loop.

Thanks

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

whaleman ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 2:34 PM

They have obviously worked on the gallery pages because that's where all or most complaints expressed here have come from. My patience is wearing thin. They changed it overnight, they can change it back to what it was overnight too. 

helanker ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 3:30 PM

I see some changes here for the colors....It is in my opinion a step in the right direction :)

Thank you very much.  :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Now I will take a look in the galleries.

Helle

KimberlyC ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quote - They have obviously worked on the gallery pages because that's where all or most complaints expressed here have come from. My patience is wearing thin. They changed it overnight, they can change it back to what it was overnight too. 

There are still some things that need to be tweeted. Thank you for bearing with the changes so far. :)

Adobe_One_Kenobi ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 9:37 AM · edited Fri, 01 March 2013 at 9:38 AM

I see the side panels have been toned down to a 50% grey, this is nice.  I am warming to this new colour layout :)  Well done guys!

X-PaX ( ) posted Sat, 02 March 2013 at 7:00 AM

I agree with Ronnie.  The grey color is a lot more pleasant.

It is a step in the right direction. Well done.

X-PaX

SiteMail

→ [ www.3dspots.de ]   |   [ www.cwhp.de ]

danapommet ( ) posted Sun, 03 March 2013 at 9:18 PM

I like the new way that you are using, for the reduction in size of ‘blank’ avatars, in the comments that are left on our galleries.  It saves space and allows for more comments per page.  Maybe it will encourage more people to develop avatars also!   

Thanks,

Dana P

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2013 at 2:09 PM

file_492370.jpg

It is not geting better at al.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.