Sun, Sep 22, 3:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Galleries--What Happened?

goldie ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 3:51 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:49 AM

So, I see there have been some modifications to the galleries...but while doing these modifications, all the artists' comments pertaining to their work have been deleted...do hope this can be rectified...

enigma-man ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:11 PM

I don't think anything is missing. What I see is very light blue text on a white background for any description and comments. This is nearly almost practically impossible to read. Who requested this colour scheme and WHY ??? :)

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:19 PM

Hello,

I am seeing the comments and I am not seeing light blue text on white backgrounds can you both tell me which browser you are using and I will be glad to speak with our programmers.  I am currently using Chrome and not getting these results.

Thanks

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:20 PM

Also try and do a hard refresh and see if that helps with caching issues.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

goldie ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:26 PM

well. i figured out what the problem is.  if you go to my gallery you will note that none of my comments are there. 

originally, i had my comments appear above the image. so, now i thought i would i change that option to show my comments below the image and , low and behold, now those that i have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

i guess most folks originally chose to have their comments below their images.

enigma-man ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:27 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hi Tina:

I'm using Firefox and a refresh was the first thing I tried.  What I see now is black text on a white background, so something was changed.

Just checked a minute after posting the above comment and now it's back to very light blue on white. Can't read a thing, but I'm sure this will be sorted out soon.

enigma-man ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:44 PM

Something else for the programmers...

I logged out from the site and went back to my gallery not logged in. I get black text on a white background, but when I log in, it's the very light blue on a white background.

goldie ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:48 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:49 PM

Please ignore my above comment--it isn't accurate, and when I tried to edit it, it wouldn't let me.  Sorry.

This is how it should read:

Well. I figured out what the problem is.  If you go to my gallery you will note that none of my comments are there. 

Originally, I had my comments appear above the image.

Well, when i went into the "edit" page the option for my comments was to "Float Below Image,"  the opposite of what I originally had before this gallery update.  So, I decided to make it "Float Above Image" and , low and behold, now those that I have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

I guess most folks originally chose to have their comments below their images.

Richardphotos ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:53 PM

I noticed the huge change but the only big problem I am having is it being more hard to read the comments. the text is a very light grey and almost the same as the white background

Mozilla

linkdink ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 4:58 PM

I hate to complain, but I am not a fan of these latest changes. Don't know if you're looking for feedback, or if these changes are locked in, but here goes:

• I am using Firefox 16.02, and I did a hard refresh before viewing the gallery.

• Most importantly, please bring back the ability to mouse-over a thumbnail to bring up the stats on that image (views, comments, etc.). The new "eye button" is much less efficient.

• There is a lot of wasted space on the page where an image is displayed; the previous design was much more efficient, requiring much less scrolling to get to the comment section.

-The comment section is much harder to visually scan. Before, the commenter's name was displayed below his avatar; now they are separated. And again, there is just way too much space between sections, between comments, etc.

Thank you for listening to my gripes.

Gallery

jakiblue ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 5:02 PM

i'm seeing black text on white background, plus is that really an option so we can reply to a comment? That is AWESOME! thank you for the changes!

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 5:23 PM

I can't view an image in full size view when not logged in. It asks me to log in.  Has that always been like that?

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

brewgirlca ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 6:20 PM

I know comments about suggested changes are virtually useless but I will give two anyways:

I agree with Linkdink, please bring back the ability to mouse over a thumbnail and get the stats on the image, both on whats new and in my galleries.

There is an awful lot of wasted space in this current layout.  And I am not a big fan of the blazing white background, I prefer dark background with light colored text.

FaeMoon ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 6:58 PM

Quote - I know comments about suggested changes are virtually useless but I will give two anyways:

I agree with Linkdink, please bring back the ability to mouse over a thumbnail and get the stats on the image, both on whats new and in my galleries.

There is an awful lot of wasted space in this current layout.  And I am not a big fan of the blazing white background, I prefer dark background with light colored text.

I have to agree with Roxy here.  The white is so hard on the eyes.  Could it be toned down back to a gray?  

brewgirlca ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 7:04 PM

I just uploaded an image and I have to say good on you for finally giving us back a decent size text box for writing comments for the image and for commenting in galleries.

Also thanks for letting us be able to comment directly to a comment from a viewer.

Though I am not thrilled with the color pattern I will give you "guys" due credit for fixing the text boxes. Thank you.

But now please give us back our white on grey :-)

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:07 PM

Quote - Something else for the programmers...

I logged out from the site and went back to my gallery not logged in. I get black text on a white background, but when I log in, it's the very light blue on a white background.

I am not seeing it like this are you still having this issue?

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:12 PM

Goldi,

Quote - Well, when i went into the "edit" page the option for my comments was to "Float Below Image,"  the opposite of what I originally had before this gallery update.  So, I decided to make it "Float Above Image" and , low and behold, now those that I have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

I have tested this and yes it does exactly as you say.  I will make sure that I get this reported to the programmers first thing in the morning.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:18 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:21 PM

Richardphotos and Enigma-man,

Quote - I noticed the huge change but the only big problem I am having is it being more hard to read the comments. the text is a very light grey and almost the same as the white background

Mozilla

I am checking with the Programmer about this as I think it has something to do with your CSS that use to be available to use.

I will be back in touch with you.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quote - I hate to complain, but I am not a fan of these latest changes. Don't know if you're looking for feedback, or if these changes are locked in, but here goes:

• I am using Firefox 16.02, and I did a hard refresh before viewing the gallery.

• Most importantly, please bring back the ability to mouse-over a thumbnail to bring up the stats on that image (views, comments, etc.). The new "eye button" is much less efficient.

• There is a lot of wasted space on the page where an image is displayed; the previous design was much more efficient, requiring much less scrolling to get to the comment section.

-The comment section is much harder to visually scan. Before, the commenter's name was displayed below his avatar; now they are separated. And again, there is just way too much space between sections, between comments, etc.

Thank you for listening to my gripes.

Thanks linkdink I will pass it on.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:24 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:24 PM

Thanks jakiblue.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:25 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:29 PM

Quote - I can't view an image in full size view when not logged in. It asks me to log in.  Has that always been like that?

Yes you have to be login to browse the gallery.  You can view a specfic members gallery if they provide the link.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:26 PM

Thanks  brewgirlca

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

goldie ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:27 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2013 at 8:28 PM

Quote - Goldi,

Quote - Well, when i went into the "edit" page the option for my comments was to "Float Below Image,"  the opposite of what I originally had before this gallery update.  So, I decided to make it "Float Above Image" and , low and behold, now those that I have made that change to are showing in the gallery...something seems to be messed up with the code...

I have tested this and yes it does exactly as you say.  I will make sure that I get this reported to the programmers first thing in the morning.

Thanks Tina...I have gone into my gallery and changed about 4 out of 19 pages...do hope when the programmers fix this that I don't have to go back and re-fix the stuff :)...I would be in a killing mood if that is the case <:-o

As far as the gallery color scheme is concerned, I am using Color that Site for FireFox, and I have no unsightly/illegible areas...perhaps for those using FireFox this could be a short-term fix for them...

I also would very much like to see the mouse-over for image details...that eye thing is rather annoying in its functionality.

Richardphotos ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 9:10 PM

well now the text is more readable being more black

markht ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 10:44 PM

I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

adorety ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:21 PM

Indeed. All my comments and writing and stories are gone. I go to the writers gallery, and there is no text with anyone's image. Do programmers not check this with every browser before making the change? It seems you are on the right track and now there are bigger comment boxes, but alot of sites offer mirror beta sites before tossing everyone in.

From what I've read above it means I have to manually go to every picture to make sure my original text is in the right place and can be seen?!?!

On a positive note, I like the new "Album" option.

Again, I will patiently await the new fixes.

I just want everything to work normal for more than a month.

adorety ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:35 PM

This is messed up. In the writers gallery while using IE, the only option to place your image is on the left or right. And neither one allows the text to show at all. I have created images where I specifically want the image to be BELOW the text and the text be first. This optin is provided, so it should work. That's rather a major flub. There are countless images out there, now, missing text if the artist preferred the text first to introduce the image. Hopefully a fix soon.

Additionally I tried to enter the site from Firefox and Chrome and it would not let me log in.???????

I will log out off of IE and see if that works. Maybe I'll never get back :O

markht ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:55 PM

Quote - I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

Maybe the problem is that when you edit the entry, it shows you the whole image as the thumbnail, but it really has the thumbnail you uploaded. Note sure what happens if you save the edit though.

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2013 at 11:59 PM

Thanks for the bigger comment box!  :)  I thought you'd forgotten about us.  But as Art mentioned, everything in the Writer's Gallery is missing.  The images are there, and the links, but all the text is gone. 

Please fix!!!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

brewgirlca ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 12:08 AM

Please guys, why don't you beta test your changes and if you do beta test why don't you do a better job of it? This is the second major change in a matter of months with major screw ups. I just noticed that for the writers gallery there is now no text, only images and comments. Did no one catch that?

I really respect that you are making a sincere effort to change but this pattern of poor beta testing is just not professional. It happens every time. Someone in IT should be roasted on a spit, er, I mean, feeling the heat :-)

brewgirlca ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 12:13 AM

So you have a hotlink that says

Have you had a chance to check out the new and improved Galleries? "See Changes"

Now I would expect that clicking on that would take me to a text page explaining the changes but it takes me to the "What's New" gallery page. Is that intentional, because it seems very strange to me.

SidheRoseGraphics ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 1:24 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LOSE THE BLINDING WHITE COMMENTS BACKGROUNDS!!!!

Oh my gods, my eyes are bleeding out of my head. That is brutal on the eye-balls. We begged you before to lose the white on the pages and make it an off-grey and you did and that was cool, but now it's back. Guess you forgot.

Also, where's the text I wrote for my image I just uploaded? I tried floating it above and below the image with no success either way. I suspect if you're using Chrome you can see it because you all believe we all should use someone's preferred browser. We don't all use Chrome. Please understand that and beta test these things across all the major browsers before releasing. I'm on IE and it's version 10.

Thanks!

jakiblue ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 2:21 AM

how does the "album" feature work? there's an option to "choose an album" when you upload....but how do you create the albums?

SidheRoseGraphics ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 3:06 AM

@jakiblue: Go to your "My Gallery" page and from the "My Gallery" dropdown menu, select "Manage Albums". That's where you create them.

jakiblue ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 4:02 AM

Quote - @jakiblue: Go to your "My Gallery" page and from the "My Gallery" dropdown menu, select "Manage Albums". That's where you create them.

thank you!! :D

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:46 AM

Quote - I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

Can you tell me which browser you are using?  I just uploaded and do not see this happening for me.

Hopefully this has been corrected.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:48 AM

adorety,

**We are working to get the Writer's Gallery corrected at this time.  **

Should be fixed very soon.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quote - So you have a hotlink that says Have you had a chance to check out the new and improved Galleries? "See Changes"

Now I would expect that clicking on that would take me to a text page explaining the changes but it takes me to the "What's New" gallery page. Is that intentional, because it seems very strange to me.

You are correct this did take you to the wrong link and I have corrected this and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

adorety ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:38 AM

Please acknowledge. How long until the missing text issue is fixed? To repeat:

In the writers gallery, there are two choices for image placement; align left;align right, neither option allows the text to re-appear.

In the regular image galleries. If you have chosen for your image to "Float Below" the text, then the text does not appear. This option is provided and is a good option because sometimes the text/description is used to introduce the image. Additionally when writing a story, I like having the image separate the description from the comment.This issue is apparent in IE, FF and Chrome.

Regardless of what I like to do with the options, the options are there and should work.

Having said that, I do like the new "Albums" feature and it is very nice to have the text box back to a useable size. I'm even fine with the new general layout. Hopefully we'll get an update or fix VERY soon. Thanks.

AD

markht ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quote - > Quote - I have been trying to upload an image with my own thumbnail. I think the size of the thumbnail is ok. It does not give any error message, but the image always ends up with the autogenerate thumbnail.

Can you tell me which browser you are using?  I just uploaded and do not see this happening for me.

Hopefully this has been corrected.

I tried chrome, firefox and IE. 

I now think it was uploading the thumbnail, but when I went to the edit page, it shows the full size image as the thumbnail. This lead me to believe the thumbnail was not working. 

brewgirlca ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 10:49 AM

Hi TinaK

I really do appreciate your" jump onto the problem" demeanor and I feel you are really listening to our concerns. Thank you.

In regards to the white box with black text, this clearly is just not working for most of us. You say you have made changes to bring the gallery in line with most of the rest of the site, but this is not true. For example, look at the forum, we have gray/black background and white text, and for the discussion on the changes it was also white lettering on gray background. So to be consisthat it should be white text on a dark background for the galleries.

We had this issue in the last upgrade and the white box was universally panned and you guys fixed it. Why would you go back to the white when it was not recieved well last time.

Black text on white works well on paper but not on a video screen. That is because a video screen casts light whereas paper absorbs and reflects light. So white becomes especially glaring in digital media. And jumping from gray screens to white screens is especially jarring.

Please go back to a dark background and white text - use the forum page as an example.

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 11:34 AM

Quote - Please acknowledge. How long until the missing text issue is fixed? To repeat:

In the writers gallery, there are two choices for image placement; align left;align right, neither option allows the text to re-appear.

In the regular image galleries. If you have chosen for your image to "Float Below" the text, then the text does not appear. This option is provided and is a good option because sometimes the text/description is used to introduce the image. Additionally when writing a story, I like having the image separate the description from the comment.This issue is apparent in IE, FF and Chrome.

AD

The tech is working on it and should have it up in just a little bit.  We are considering giving the extra option of above and below as well.

I know you want a time but I am not in control of that and as soon as they tell me that it is corrected I will convey the info to you.  

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 11:43 AM

Writers Gallery is now corrected.

Please let me know if you see any problems with it.

Thanks for your patience.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

adorety ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad the text is back. There may still be a formatting issue. I'm looking at the site through Firefox right now and the text is alligned on the right, but it does not spread out when it is below the image. What I see is a looong narrow column on the right. In the old setup, once the text box passed the image, it would spread out and fill the width of the page. At least it works, but if someone is going to write up to 25000 characters, it's going to make a very long and narrow column and therefore cumbersome to read.

One other note that is probably out of your realm of control is quotation marks changing to symbols when there is an edit or change on the page. I don't know if that's a compatible text in HTML issue, but I assume so.

Thanks for the quick updates and the initial fixes.

AD

adorety ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 12:08 PM

I see also that the main image gallery text has been fixed as well. That now looks as it should. Thanks, AD

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for bringing back the text in the writer's gallery!  :)  I'm with Art (again) ... can you make the format more readable?  That long column is okay for short-line poetry, but as a poet, if I write a line that's longer than what fits your format, the format changes the tone of what I've written.  For a story, it doesn't work at all.  It's like reading a book on one side of half a page in a paperback.  Having the text there is better than nothing, but "better than nothing" isn't what I'm hoping for!  :)

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

3DGuy ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 3:57 PM

wtf

Seriously... who designed this? On my 1200px heigh screen the top of the image is just visible. White area's on a dark background and a header that is at least 3 times bigger than it needs to be. And I mentioned this before, but the image which is the renderosity logo is 3400 pixels wide... why? It's scaled back using html/css but that just not right.

You need to slap your designer(s) and frontend coders.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

TinaK ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 4:47 PM

Quote - Thanks for bringing back the text in the writer's gallery!  :)  I'm with Art (again) ... can you make the format more readable?  That long column is okay for short-line poetry, but as a poet, if I write a line that's longer than what fits your format, the format changes the tone of what I've written.  For a story, it doesn't work at all.  It's like reading a book on one side of half a page in a paperback.  Having the text there is better than nothing, but "better than nothing" isn't what I'm hoping for!  :)

You can now go in and edit this with the option of right, left, float above or float below.

Tina Kaylor

Community Manager

spiegel428 ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 7:31 PM

Good to see new features such as albums and commenting on comments, but I have to agree with 3DGuy's post above. I'm guessing that a more vertical layout has to do with viewing it on mobile screens, but surely there's a way to do this more gracefully, if that's the case? I feel like I'm training for an Olympic medal in Scrolling here.

SeanE ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 7:44 PM

white boxes... white boxes everywhere!

why not just be done with it and get rid of the grey/blue/custom css colour of your choice background altogether and just have a white background entirely?

It'll still make the images look like crap against it but it'll be better than this white box stuff everywhere...

brewgirlca ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 7:46 PM

No comment from you guys on the many, many complaints about the black text on a white background? Is this "glaring" design issue going to be addressed or not? I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.