Mon, Jul 8, 3:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Roll Call

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2014 at 3:05 AM

@thunderstone..lol..yes.. especially all the puddings..ie desserts! :-p 

Lown ( ) posted Wed, 05 February 2014 at 1:14 PM

file_501582.jpg

Hello there everyone, still log on here occasionally, have not been brycing for a while....but sometimes i get a little spark, like this... 

Good to see Orbitol here aswell, still my bryce hero:-)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 10:13 PM

Did I miss this? How did I miss this thread?! Lol...

Hey Everybody!!!

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 10:34 PM

Quote - Did I miss this? How did I miss this thread?! Lol...

Hey Everybody!!!

AS

Hey, AS! Long time no see. Was wondering how that project turned out.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

fozzibear ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2014 at 6:53 AM

Hi folks, amazing to see some of the old faces, got the Bryce bug back when Daz was giving the software away for free and played with a few images, posted one here, got heavily into the Bryce modelling again. Poor old computer just wasnt up to it so gave it away. May come back to it again now having a new computer, only time will tell.

Look after yourselves,

Ross.

Azraelll ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2014 at 7:21 PM

Check check, check.

Azraelll ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2014 at 7:26 PM

Quote - Did I miss this? How did I miss this thread?! Lol...

Hey Everybody!!!

AS

All you Agents look alike. :P

orbital ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 4:32 AM

Quote - Hello there everyone, still log on here occasionally, have not been brycing for a while....but sometimes i get a little spark, like this... 

Good to see Orbitol here aswell, still my bryce hero:-)

Blimey Lown, what a blast from the past. I'm really loving those terrains btw.

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 10:42 AM

I have no idea who any of you people are. :-P

I just got a new 'puter.  8 core! Still mostly doing Carrara (pardon my French) but as I was reinstalling everything to the new PC I got a little pang of sadness/rememberings about Bryce.  Maybe I'll fire it up and see what happens.   Brycers are always the most helpful and R'osity Brycers doubly so.

Miss those days.

Phil

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

orbital ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 1:03 PM

Quote - I have no idea who any of you people are. :-P

I just got a new 'puter.  8 core! Still mostly doing Carrara (pardon my French) but as I was reinstalling everything to the new PC I got a little pang of sadness/rememberings about Bryce.  Maybe I'll fire it up and see what happens.   Brycers are always the most helpful and R'osity Brycers doubly so.

Miss those days.

Phil

I'm the same mate. Coming on here and the number of active threads had dwindled to 5 !?! Used to be 5 or more new threads everyday. I've been over on the Bryce Forum at Daz which is far more healthy. It just feels like cheating though tbh as this place is where it began for me. 

However there are a few quality images in the gallery here so thats not died a death yet.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 1:44 PM

I installed Bryce.  Took a few minutes to get back to grips with the weird and wonderful GUI and then rendered one of my later models.    It's still a joy to play with.  Still as slow at rendering.   But fun.

I need to check out DAZ more often.   They did, indirectly, pay for this new computer.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 4:09 PM

file_501755.jpg

Funnily enough I just posted some new Bryce (and Poser/Photoshop) images last week, the first time in years.  I had a few  "Image of the Day" in  Metacreations' gallery in oohh....1997/1998/1999? so I guess that qualifies me as a senior (as in old-time) Brycer...!  Loved Orbital's comment on my new Bryce work!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 5:52 PM

Loving the postwork and "painted" effect.     I need to catch up with your (and everyones) galleries.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

max- ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 8:09 PM
Online Now!

Wow - AgentSmith - I remember you from way, way back.  You are one of the true ancients here!  

Max.

"An Example is worth Ten Thousand Words"

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 6:11 AM

Oh yeah I remember the train – The Bryster was posting bits of it up to (it seems to me) only a short time ago.

I wonder what happened to pakled?  I haven't seen him around in quite a while.

I too haven't posted much here, it just seems like there isn't anyone much here any more.

I was once a Bryce mod over on Dreamslayer but only 3 or 4 other mods ever came by – no one else at all.

Chohole told me about the Bryce community over on Daz – so I went there I'm afraid. It seems to be the only place where there are actual current bryce posters, at least who post with any regularity.

It actually makes me very sad to see so few people here on Rendo's Bryce forum.

Very pleased to hear that the Bryce Delphi forums have people there frequently. I find that layout over there hard to cope with – and very difficult to see what's happening now and what's old stuff – I've just not used to it I guess. (you see, I thought it was all old.)

I'm rendering a Bryce image right now, I've been doing quite a lot in there recently with a set of characters I'm creating (with hopes for an animation – if I ever figure out rigging!) I now have... 6 characters modelled, with another 6 to do.

I've been posting images of them over on Daz3d's 'Show Us Your Bryce Renders' thread.

I also need to do more scenery for this, as so far I only have 2 rooms, The Hall of Eyes and the main Palace Hall which are connected together.  I need to do some outside scenery too, this I suspect will be more difficult to do as I am using a limited palette for scenes, - um so far it's only got 2 colours – black and white, with the very occassional blip of a coloured item here and there, like the stained glass in doors and the stained glass lanterns.

The characters are fully coloured though.

Bonito_lil

Yes I get big square holes in the view while rendering, the graphics card just can't cope with me wanting to do stuff whyle Bryce is rendering.

Gosh so many names I remember, and so nice to 'see' everyone again!

I guess I'd better post something in my Gallery here, it's been a while since I did that.

(sorry, Rendo won't let me get rid of the bold formatting... grrr!)

in the meantime here's something current:

SnowPea, BlooPea and Susan the Black-Eyed Pea

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2014 at 7:52 PM

I remember a lot of the names here, in fact I think a lot of them never left Bryce, more a case of leaving Renderosity than leaving Bryce.

This is the first time I've read this forum in years, and to be honest, I like what they've done since last time.  I think this new system is a lot better than the one that sort of drove me away from it (seems the same but matured and usable).  Sad though, that there are so few threads here, I can hardly believe it, I can only see recent ones.

Bryce certainly isn't dead, though, that's a fact.  And if you think about it, there's really no reason this place needs to be so dead.  The Brycers are out there, it's just they're all on the DAZ forum, so why not entice them back to the R'osity forums as well?

R'osity itself seems to be thriving, it's just the Bryce forum needs it's arse kicking into gear and to entice the Bryce users back!

The fact that this thread got so many people posting again shows that it's mainly down to popularity.  People don't bother to post unless it's worth posting and they think others will see it, and if people don't post, people think the place is dead - it's a vicious circle.

It's a vicious circle that can be broken, though!

orbital ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2014 at 5:57 AM

Pumeco, what you said is very true. I hope we can breathe some life back into it.

pumeco ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2014 at 4:02 PM

Same here, although I think Renderosity is making it harder than it needs to be. 

What I mean is the forum should be set so that the last thread to be posted to, goes to the top.  That's just the way it is because that's the best way.  I found a button to switch that feature on, but like I said, it really needs to be on by default because it annoys people big-time and they might not be aware they can switch it.

I remember when DAZ first upgraded to Magento, they had the same behaviour, it was a problem because the amount of people I saw complaining about it was unreal.  Thankfully it was a bug and they ironed it out, but here, it looks as if it's a setting they've decided to use.

Baffling.

Anyway, congrats on making AOM (again) Joe, nice one 👍
I hope that Bryce Print Exhibition of yours went ok as well.

beelzebulb ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 11:49 AM

I don't even know why I decided to look in the forums today:) boredom ??? and I came across this thread.

First let me say its nice to see some of the old timers here in this thread and HI to all of you who may remember me over the years good or bad:) Now to the bad:

Was actually shocked to see how few threads there is here now. I remember when it was a thriving and fun place but now it seems to be going the way of the program itself which is too bad. I know I like others who used to swear by Bryce am one of the ones at fault for this. Although I still use Bryce for my own enjoyment I don't post my work very often as I find it gets buried so fast and also they now archive the work so that peoples pictures good or bad are lost to most viewers. I did a search on the archives and they are not set up very well so most people won't bother. I blame rendo also for the decline since I notice the poser gallery (156 pages) is not archived at 22 pages like the bryce one. And of course the bar in the bryce gallery seems to have dropped dramatically from what I can tell by comments and ratings which are ridiculous for a lot of the crap that is posted in it now. Even some of the people who have been using bryce for years don't seem to be trying to improve themselves. It is like they now think they are "Bryce Gurus" because they get so many favorites and 5's even when they post crap. Some years ago if you posted a picture not up to snuff you got your ass handed to you. Sad situation now but that seems to be the norm in a lot of the galleries here now.

So I guess what I am saying is that we get what we deserve and thats all there is to it.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 2:38 PM

Hey there all!

I noticed that some have posted their computer types, cores, etc.  I'm thinking of a new 'puter, so I'd like to get responses to computer brand, core #s, CPUs, graphics cards, OS's (I do not want to go to Windows 8!), etc.

Any info would be appreciated!

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 10:05 PM

Nukeboy, you will probably get more response by posting a new thread dealing with your request.  This is an old thread and may not be monitored by many.  Good luck.

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2014 at 5:38 AM · edited Wed, 05 March 2014 at 5:38 AM

Quote - (I do not want to go to Windows 8!)

Wise decision, I'm staying well-clear of that one as well :biggrin:

Still, skiwillgee is right, you'd probobly get more responses with a dedicated thread, and lets face it, the forum could do with a few more of those right now!

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 11:22 AM

My new 'puter came with Windows 8.1   It's really not a big deal.  I still have shortcuts to my fave programs on the task bar, I still have a desktop, which I have always kept really clean and use as a desktop and then move files to folders once I finished.   The whole tiles thing isn't that annoying. I like having a flipboard tile, everything else is pretty much just static links to applications. That being said, I do have two monitors, so one generally has a desktop.   AND Draculaz told me that there are ways out there to get a real startup menu if you so desire.  

BUT, I never had a problem with Vista.  So I probably am not the best judge. 

The main reason I got it was EIGHT CORES!   I use Carrara more than Bryce and to see those little core squares as it renders is a joy.  I'm not sure how well Bryce uses multiple cors.  Still seems pretty slow when I render.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 4:22 PM

I'm amazed on that one  I'm usually right in predicting Microsoft's manipulative moves and I'd have thought that by now there would be an official update to add the Start button back if you wanted it.  I expected they'd do it with the first Service Pack or whatever, but obviously not.

Anyway, hows yer keepin' Master Draaarbridge, you got a full-on American accent yet? :biggrin:

And hows drac these days?
Haven't seen him for years!

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 6:29 AM

Attached Link: A Brief Moment of Bravery

Windows 8.1 does have a start button, but all it does is bring up the start screen.   

No American accent yet.  I do say some words the American way since it's easier than repeating myself seven times.   But for the most part it's still English.   The ladies like it and kids are amused by it.  Most think I went to school with Harry Potter.

Drac is doing his political thing.  He's also finding time to write a book. http://www.amazon.com/Brief-Moment-Bravery-Demeter-May-ebook/dp/B00HTNH7ZW/

Quote - I'm amazed on that one  I'm usually right in predicting Microsoft's manipulative moves and I'd have thought that by now there would be an official update to add the Start button back if you wanted it.  I expected they'd do it with the first Service Pack or whatever, but obviously not.

Anyway, hows yer keepin' Master Draaarbridge, you got a full-on American accent yet? :biggrin:

And hows drac these days?
Haven't seen him for years!

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2014 at 8:26 AM

Funny enough, must have been less than a month ago I found myself watching videos on YouTube about the American/English differences thing.  Americans giving their opinions on Brits, what they think of our food, the English accent and that sort of thing.

Harry Potter did come up a few times in those vid's, and yup, for some reason a lot of the women over their melt when they hear the English accent (WTF!).  I figured I'd better move over to America real quick 'cause it would be easy to get laid.  Trouble is they'd kick my arse (or ass) out of there in 6 months flat.  Typical that is, I could afford to buy a dirt-cheap place but wouldn't be allowed to stay!

Cool to hear Drac has a book in the works.  I used to pick-up on the political vibe in a lot of his posts.  A book is something he'll do well because he knows how to prompt thought in what he writes, and it's intelligently written.

David Collins (BooksByDavid) is another Brycer/Author.

Anyway, keep-up impressing the ladies with that accent.
It must be the only export we have left 😉

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 10:52 AM · edited Sun, 09 March 2014 at 10:53 AM

Quote - My new 'puter came with Windows 8.1   It's really not a big deal.  I still have shortcuts to my fave programs on the task bar, I still have a desktop, which I have always kept really clean and use as a desktop and then move files to folders once I finished.   The whole tiles thing isn't that annoying. I like having a flipboard tile, everything else is pretty much just static links to applications. That being said, I do have two monitors, so one generally has a desktop.   AND Draculaz told me that there are ways out there to get a real startup menu if you so desire.  

BUT, I never had a problem with Vista.  So I probably am not the best judge. 

The main reason I got it was EIGHT CORES!   I use Carrara more than Bryce and to see those little core squares as it renders is a joy.  I'm not sure how well Bryce uses multiple cors.  Still seems pretty slow when I render.

I was told you need to get a program called "Large Address Aware" and then you use that to make Bryce (and Wings3d you can do too) look at the other cores, and use them.

Worked for me.

P.S. Nice to see you still around Phil

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

beelzebulb ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 11:55 AM

I use Large Address Aware and it makes a huge difference in the speed of Bryce. And it does see all 8 cores on my machine. Another thing is that it allows Bryce to use 3 gigs of memory instead of 2 which makes a hell of a lot of difference in render times.

The problem is that after a while using a water cooled 8 cores and 32 gigs of ram  I tend to get used to it and it doesn't seem so fast anymore:) Thats what I found so I got a ATI 7970 Matrix graphic card with 3 gigs of ram. After a while same thing. The need for speed seems to be the thing now and I am no different than most when it comes to that it seems a lot of us seem to be bitten by the speed bug:) no matter what our age or what we use our computer for.

booksbydavid ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 9:31 PM

Quote - David Collins (BooksByDavid) is another Brycer/Author.

I'm flattered you remembered me. I'm blushing (you'll have to take my word for it).

I still have very fond memories of Bryce. It really started me investigating this 3D thing more in depth. I've got all of Brycetech's DVD videos. Haven't used Bryce in a while. Been a busy fellow and Bryce does like to take its time. I use Carrara mostly although landscapes have always looked better for me in Bryce then Carrara.

This thread makes me want to crank up Bryce again. I may not use it often anymore, but with every new computer I get, Bryce is one of the first programs I put on. Sentiment, I suppose.

tjohn ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2014 at 9:00 AM

Attached Link: Playstation 2013

Somehow I missed this thread (waves).

My Dark Side is Daz Studio (wow, same initials...spooky).

The only Brycing I've done in a while has been a remake of an oldie using some of the nice new image-based lighting features. I keep meaning to play around with instancing, etc.

Horo and Brinnen are still making Bryce tuts so there is still a base of users out there.

I have used Bryce a few times for object creation and exportation as .obj. The ability to turn booleans into meshes was a great addition. Wish we'd had that back in the day.

Later.

John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2014 at 11:30 PM

Nukeboy, I've done some testing and had some communications with DAZ tech support.  Bryce on high priority render can only see 8 actual cores.  If it sees virtual cores, then only to 20 percent at the most.  It won't see a second CPU.  On medium priority it sees half the actual cores you have up to 8.  On low priority, one core.

So for a bryce machine, 8 actual high speed cores will be the best it can handle.  Some AMD cpu's do that.

For everything else (other than Terragen Classic), just about as many cores including virtual cores that you can throw at it will likely work.

I built a dual cpu 6 core intel.  Bryce on high priority uses 6 actual cores up to about 80 percent and two virtual to about 10 percent.  That's it.  Poser and Vue and TG2, etc, use all 24 cores.

Used Argus monitor and win7 resomon and gpu shark to test.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2014 at 8:41 PM

Good to know.  I use Poser as well, and it dies all of the time because of 32 bit, 4 gigs of RAM...

Grincho ( ) posted Tue, 25 March 2014 at 1:15 AM

Hmm, Looks like this post has turned into "Last Rites for Bryce" instead of being a resurrection from the outskirts of oblivion.

By the way, what ever happened to that troublemaking Brycer who called himself Groucho, or was it Figaro, or was it RabbleRouser?

And what happened to the Hawk, and the Bear, and to all those homeless Brycers from the radioactive ruins of The Bryce Commune?

Grincho ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2014 at 2:35 AM

file_503111.jpg

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2014 at 6:11 AM

Boo!!

Hello folks,

Not been here for a while and find a thread full of old timers :-). I'm now using mainly blender 3D (after a foray into 3ds Max when working with a fast protoyping team for a little while), but I did put Bryce onto my daughter's PC in an attempt to bring her into the 3d world. Two weeks later she started using Sketch Up at school so Bryce hasn't had that much use!

As Phil mentioned though, most of it doesn't take too much to drop back into, although tiling terrains took me a little while to remember than it probably should have.

All the best to you all.

Graham

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.