Tue, Oct 22, 7:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 5:55 am)

Subject: How do you fix the issues with this specular issue?

jdavison67 ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 12:55 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 7:24 AM

file_502608.jpg

Some textures reflect light in a very un-natural way, and with others, the specular falloff looks normal.

Is there a trick to resolving this?

I'm assuming this is a Poser vs Daz Studio issue.

(See the bad example I have attached)

JD

marciushess ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:09 PM

This happens 'cause the material system used inside Poser is different than the used inside Daz Studio. You can just decrease the specularity on Parameters Panel to minimize the spots or (better) use a specific DS material or shader on the surfaces.

jdavison67 ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:18 PM

Yes, I've tried backing off the specular on the texture, with pretty bad results.

Is there a way to rebuild the texture for DAZ?

Many products do not have DS textures.

One thing I have done to resolve issues when this happens on skin textures is to set them as Matte textures, as apposed to the Plastic default that they come up as, to kill most of the reflections, this works if I don't plan on doing a closeup, but it makes the character seem very cartoonish.

Is there a tutorial on how to take a poser texture and rebuild it for Daz Studio?

JD

marciushess ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:32 PM · edited Mon, 10 March 2014 at 1:33 PM

I really don't know if you can rebuilt the textures, I guess not, cause as I said the materials are too different, but you can find some free shaders here in free stuff or on sharecg that you can use with fine results, or buy (if you can or be interested)some shaders packages that you can use instead the original material. I'm sure most of the products can be found with both kinds of material, if not the alternative are DS shaders. But better to get more oppinions, there are a lot of experts on how DS works here.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 9:51 PM

There is a new subsurface shader base included with DS 4.6

In addition to SSS (which can be turned off), it has several specularity options including Fresnel.  You can apply this to existing shaders on a per material basis or the whole object.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 10:23 PM

Quote - There is a new subsurface shader base included with DS 4.6

In addition to SSS (which can be turned off), it has several specularity options including Fresnel.  You can apply this to existing shaders on a per material basis or the whole object.

My mistake and too late to edit.  The AoA shader has many specularity options, but if Fresnel is required you can use UberSurface2 shader.

jdavison67 ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 8:52 AM

Yes,

I have been trying to understannd the subsurface shader, but documentation is spotty at best.

Any idea where I can get good instructions on a workflow for this?

JD

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 11:21 AM

There is detailed documentation for UberSurface2.  Just click on "UberSurface2 Help" link from within DS.  It's in the shaders folder.

You can also go directly to the page using

http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberSurface2

There is a 20 minutes video for the AoA Subsurface Shader available in DAZ Store

sassanik ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2014 at 7:19 PM

I get this issue frequently in Daz.

I normally just reduce the glossy setting is there is one, or the specular strength. If those two don't work I often try changing the lighting model down near the bottom of the list, to matte.

Usually it doesn't seem to require too much tweaking.

And when all else fails and I don't have time to figure it out, I fix it in post with the clone tool in GIMP.

Amy

fictionalbookshelf ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2014 at 6:53 PM

There are few other things to try that has worked for me in the past.

1. Sliding the glossy under specular upto 100%.

2. Adjust the ambient slider. If the color for the ambient is dark set it to a lighter color and vice versa and then adjust the slider. It varies on what you achieve depending on the other surface settings on that item.

3. Lighting can also be the culprit. Depending on the light you use, look in the parameters tab and switch the lighting shadow type. Depending on what type of light it is some lights have more shadow types you can use.

4. As someone else mentioned switching to matte helps. I also use the skin lighting instead of matte from time to time.

My Store & My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.